• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it a good movie, it's a rare example of a film actually improving the source material.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Its also great to identify dummies in your life.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yes.

Would you like to know more?
giphy.gif

Yes, it's a fantastic movie. Sadly a lot of people took it at face value rather than seeing it for the satire it is. It manages to skewer both the strong right-wing militaristic side of the US but also the the bombastic action films of the 90's.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it a good movie, it's a rare example of a film actually improving the source material.
Ha, I used to work with someone who was so disgusted with this because it departed from the book. I took my wife to see it in Leicester Square when we were struggling to think of something to do and I loved it instantly.

OP
OP
AndrewDean84

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Haha. The gifs it's produced have always put a smile on my face.

I wanted something on while I was playing Pokémon, and I thought it's been years since I've seen it last. I ended up watching it and never turning my switch on.

Like I said before, I know I have guilty pleasures, I just wasn't sure if I was alone in loving this gem. Gem might not be the right term. Maybe a polished piece of shit that can look like a diamond from certain angles.

I saw that there are 5 movies now. I know I saw 2 and 3, back in my Blockbuster employee days. I haven't seen the ones that have a subtitle instead of being numbered.

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
I loved it when I saw it back in the day, I saw it twice which apart from a couple of movies I saw twice bttf being one, It's a shame it didn't do a lot better. The cgi still holds up now....dizzy for life :)

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome. The action is great and the satire on point. It's a post 9/11 movie, made before 9/11 happened. Paul Verhoeven and Ed Neumeier are visionaries.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It's perfect. Like literally virtually perfect. I really need to see it again. It's supposed to be bad and cheesy. The fact it probably flies over some idiots heads is what's so amazing about it. Kinda reminds me of Trump and all his utter nonsense he spouts at his rallies and contorted expressions he makes while his audience lap him up.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. And I am sure that many people do not understand the underlying satire.

I don't understand how so many people, especially scores of professional critics, missed it. It's like they had been waiting all this time to unload their thoughts on the BOOK and didn't bother to actually watch the damn movie lol.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Great social commentary movie and it has good action.

It's basically about space Nazi's and everybody in the movie is fine with that lol. You even have that guy from how I met your mother looking like a SS officer

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
The best part is that when I was young and saw it I thought: great Sci-fi movie!

When I rewatched it much later I was like 'waaaaaaait a minute....this seems familiar...'

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Its great. I re watched it some years ago. Was surprised how well the special effects held up. Especially since so many early 2000s movies look terrible today.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Misunderstood at release and dismissed as a mindless action flick... Glad to see it's now regarded as a fantastic film which is. I saw at the cinema on release and still love it after all these years.