• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Square back?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 165 18.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 384 43.1%
  • They never left.

Votes: 192 21.6%
  • Undecided...

Votes: 141 15.8%
  • Other answer

Votes: 8 0.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
chaos-final-fantasy.gif
This.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Square has the occasional decent or even good game but their output, and the overall quality of their games, is a far cry from their peak during the SNES/PS1 days.

Even with their best received modern titles, there are a lot of reservations, none of them are games that most fans of the genre, that have known it for more than a decade, would put in their top 10 games.

You may disagree with me, your tastes may be different from mine, you may have been introduced to the genre much later than I was and not accompanied or seen some of the timeless moments the defined and still inspire many games to this day but to me, modern Final Fantasy is gorgeous hot garbage and the rest of Square Enix's output is very much a mixed bag that is, more often than not, of above-average quality at best.

Pretty much sums up my feelings towards Square also.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pixel remasters of Final Fantasy reminded me why I loved them in the first place. Super stoked to play FF4 tomorrow.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah on snes,ps1, and most of ps2 it was banger after banger. Now? Naaaaaah.

Their best IP is Dragon Quest because those never miss.

Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to overlook that they released their best game in 2019 in the West... SaGa Scarlet Grace.

They hit the rocks hard in the PS3 era when they moved mostly to DS/PSP and then didn't localize half of their output, but now, I'm pretty happy with what all of their Japanese teams are working on. Their Western branch is... mismanaged, I guess, but there's not really an analogy to Square or Enix in the 90s or 00s so there isn't really something that got worse.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
In spite of their Switch efforts and continued support, on top of my GOTG in Dragon Quest 11, I want to say undecided, but nope.

Their subpar pile is vast and numerous and outshines the few good to the very few outstanding. We'll see how they handle Dragon Quest and their continued Switch support, because otherwise, I have little to no faith in their other software.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
No, and until they fix the fonts in the recent pixel remasters it's impossible to even contemplate them being back. Some of the decisions they make still boggle the mind.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Dunno, I'll wait and see how FF16 turns out. FF14 is great, and the FF pixel remakes have been surprisingly good aside from some small issues. Hardly seems like a return to form when Square was tackling tons of genres and doing all sorts of cool stuff, but it's not nothing either.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do bad games like Balan and Left Behind go into your brain and erase the fun games like FF7R, KH3, DQXI, and Nier Automata?

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
DQXI was great, but the DQ team never fails.

KH3 is the only game I've pre-ordered last gen and it was the biggest disappointment for me. It is the worst console KH game, imo, and I didn't even come close to finishing it.

FFVIIR was okayish, but it was full of corridors and the maps were lame. There was way too much forced walking which slowed down the pace considerably and the combat was boring. The only interesting part about the story was how humans are sucking the world dry. Also, I could've lived without everything after Wall Market. It all went seriously downhill from there..

FFXIV is great, but VII Remake is such a weird project that puts way too much focus on the shit I didn't want focused on at the expense of telling a good story that I'm not sure I trust them anymore.

XVI is the acid test for me.
This is where I'm at: FFXVI is do or die for SE. Still mildly excited for it, as I do believe they have what it takes to make a succesful JRPG. Also, kinda hopeful for Forspoken.

TLDR: Nope (beside the DQ team, of course)

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
They never left IMO, but given what seems to me to be a general hate-boner Era has for Square Enix I'm not at all surprised to see "Nope" winning by a large margin.

Bear in mind, "They never left" doesn't mean I think their recent output has been anywhere near flawless (see Avengers and their abysmal E3 presentation).

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If you mean Square Enix, they are more on less the same since the fusion.

Which is below Squaresoft era.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Their SNES-PS1 glory days are so far above anything they can ever hope to achieve again. They have improved of late, but will never be "back".

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
They never left IMO, but given what seems to me to be a general hate-boner Era has for Square Enix I'm not at all surprised to see "Nope" winning by a large margin.

Seriously lol. We got new NieR and TWEWY games this year, excellent remasters for old Final Fantasy games (about time, and featuring some of the best sounding Uematsu renditions), as well as some awesome FF7 DLC. FF14 is still riding high with an expansion coming, as well as FF16 and more Life is Strange (published only but still). And for my personal invested interests, KH3 Re: Mind is some of the best content gameplay wise in the entire series, leaving me really excited for what Osaka team has in store. They're doing great.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Their SNES-PS1 glory days are so far above anything they can ever hope to achieve again. They have improved of late, but will never be "back".

That's far above what any dev ever can hope to achieve again. That combo of quality + quantity will never be matched in this industry again. Games take too long.

Unrelated to your post, it's OK for old IPs to die. People are obsessed with Square continuing IPs that clearly nobody in the company has artistic drive for anymore.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see them be more active and overall better with their legacy catalog, but they certainly have a lot of good stuff they are working on that I am interested in

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
The Japanese branch is killing it. People saying they haven't made a good game since snes/ps1 are ridiculous

The Western branch needs to do a little better.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Growing up Square was, like, the zenith of gaming, with their stuff being the highest quality and beyond what everyone else was doing. They're good, but they haven't quite gotten back to that.

Like, Peak Square felt like Peak Pixar and Modern Square feels like Modern Pixar. Still good, but everyone else has caught up and they're not as good as they used to be too.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Personally, I view this as a wider Japanese Game Development issue. Capcom, Nintendo, SEGA Atlus and Square all took nearly a generation to get acclimated to the HD era hardware which in all honesty put them all in a sort of rut but all of them are surely getting back on track and pumping out consistently better titles.

Square definitely managed to understand HD era hardware and what people expect from the games/franchises now and if they don't fuck it up with future installments from their franchises then I guess they could be close to where they once were.....maybe but we are way past their peak days now.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nier Automata was good I guess. Nothing else they have put out in the last few years has done anything for me, but I haven't liked their JRPG's since the SNES days, and I've tried a lot of them, including Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts 3. It's not that they are bad at making those games...it's just that those games do absolutely nothing for me as a 38 year old.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They're kind of all over the place in terms of quality, but I'm not sure they're in a worse place than they've been for the last 10-15 years. Lots of hits and misses.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
They never really left. Final Fantasy XIII and XV were both crap, but their other series were great.

The main difference between the PS3 era and PS4 era is that their series like Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts were on handheld in the PS3 era so it felt more like they'd left and are now 'back'.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They made the one game I wanted for the last 14 years, so they're "back" in my book.

hero

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
No Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel/remake, no Brave Fencer Musashi, Vagrant Story, Einhander, Parasite Eve, or Threads of Fate, or Bust-A-Groove remaster, no new hand drawn games ala SaGa Frontier 2/Legend of Mana, no proper, big budget 3D remakes for the SNES or PSone era FF games aside from a padded version the first disc of FF7.

To me, S-E is a shell of their former selves. They've largely abandoned the roots that brought them their breakout success in the US. They went from my favorite publisher from 1996-2006 to pretty much irrelevant outside of mainline FF entries (which haven't exactly impressed me in a while).

TWEWY2 is the quirkiest thing they've put out in like 15 years, but the art style really turned me off. I miss when they had quirky stuff like that all the time. They'll live on forever in my heart until they embrace their late nineties/early '00 roots and bring back the stuff that really stood out.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Not while Chrono is dormant. They will always be a shadow of their former self until then!

But seriously, the answer is still no.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not really. Square in the SNES-PS1 era was godlike. Current Square just doesn't compare.

They did help bring Dragon Quest XI into the world, so I'll give them credit for that at least.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Japanese dev side is doing quite well.

Publishing-wise, it's a mix: They've got the 2 Nier games, and Outriders, which seems to be doing ok but they've also got Left Alive, Quiet Man, Balan Wonderworld that were all huge flops, and Babylon's Fall isn't exactly looking promising right now. Though I guess CHAOS also counts as a published game, so that might offset it.

Eidos has been pretty much dying, since I think the last 2 games that met expectation were Human Revolution and Tomb Raider 2013.

Oh, and RIP Square Enix Collective, :(

So I guess the answer is "it depends"