• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Lemonade is a catch all term for all lemon and lime carbonated drinks. so yes Sprite and 7up are both lemonade.

I hate cloudy lemonade. Long live our lemonade!

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Y'all are missing out, fresh lemonade with just the right mix of tart and sweet is heavenly.
Are lemons ungodly expensive in these locations or something?

How are there still people in here thinking the UK doesn't have regular lemonade hahaha. It's that the word is more broad here, not that we don't have what you call lemonade

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
We have all the lemon and lemon adjacent drinks and it's easier to just say lemonade.

My question is why does American Pepsi Max taste like ass?

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be subscribed to one of those variety snack box things, and they had some AMAZING British style flapjacks. So, yes, you Brits have us beat on this one. American granola bars are mostly crap.

The secret is the ratio:
6oz butter
5oz demerara sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp ginger
8 oz oats

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The UK also took the food "pigs in a blanket" which was created in the USA many decades ago, and instead uses it on bacon wrapped hot dogs... which would just be pigs in more pigs...
Big difference to what you'd typically call hot dogs (frankfurters) and the sausages you'd use for pigs in blankets.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Please don't make any bs claims, it's a dish that has been around in Europe for ages.
The food name "pigs in a blanket" was literally first printed by American brand Betty Crocker and it referred to their recipe for pastry wrapped hot dogs. Has nothing to do with whether bacon or pastry wrapped hot dogs existed before that - the name comes from that cookbook recipe for pastry wrapped hot dogs. The UK literally snatched a name created for pastry wrapped hot dogs and used it for something different and thinks that's correct.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The food name "pigs in a blanket" was literally first printed by American brand Betty Crocker and it referred to their recipe for pastry wrapped hot dogs. Has nothing to do with whether bacon or pastry wrapped hot dogs existed before that - the name comes from that cookbook recipe for pastry wrapped hot dogs. The UK literally snatched a name created for pastry wrapped hot dogs and used it for something different and thinks that's correct.

And the US 'literally snatched' a recipe that had been around in Europe for a long time and called it something different and thinks that's correct

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017

it should be filed under brand issues and America should just sue Britain for infringement of copyright or something, sounds like Betty Crocker should "lawyer up" as you say

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
And the US 'literally snatched' a recipe that had been around in Europe for a long time and called it something different and thinks that's correct
What were pastry wrapped hot dogs called before in the UK and USA respectively? Sausage rolls are not the same thing here

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What were pastry wrapped hot dogs called before in the UK and USA respectively? Sausage rolls are not the same thing here

I don't understand the question.

I'm just pointing out that the US didn't invent pastry wrapped sausages, which existed in a variety of forms in a number of different countries, so getting all indignant about coming up with a name which may been used differently elsewhere just seems silly.

Just as stupid as when English people get all upset when they hear Americans talk about 'soccer'.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
lemonade has always been carbonated. a lot of fruit drinks that are carbonated have the -ade suffix.

just because americans started doing it and making it uncarbonated, but still calling it lemonade, doesn't make everyone else wrong

it's americans that are wrong

in germany we called a lot of other soft drinks "x-limonade", like is Orangenlimonade, because we do not really have a word like "fizzy drink", cola was cola, and fanta was fanta, but the rest, which were mostly other fruit-based carbonated drinks, were just called "limonade" as a general descriptor as "fizzy drinks". it's basically the -ade suffix in English, which denotes carbonated drink. but our language suffixes don't work that way, so it's "fruit/whatever here-limonade". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ade_(drink_suffix)

but some things, like cola mixed with orange soda, is called spezi, and one of the brands is called Mezzo Mix

quite a few european languages do this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade#History

Lemonade existed before carbonated water, but at least you managed to type out a lot of words. As an American, allow me to spend several minutes clapping for your effort, if not your results.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
As a southerner, you should be used to nonsense of this caliber, given the number of people who think you make sweet tea by serving you regular unsweetened tea and throwing some sugar packets at you.

A lot of upsetting things in this thread, but this is the worst. It doesn't work! I don't know how so many people don't understand that this doesn't work.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Although marketed as 'lemon & lime', it tastes exactly the same as the cheap ass lemonade we have over here, so I vote yes.

Volcane

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard anyone describe Sprite as Lemonade in the UK. If I asked for a lemonade and someone gave me Sprite, I'd be confused and say I asked for lemonade, not Sprite 🤷‍♂️.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Betty Crocker published the name - but the book you're referring to literally contains testimonials about the recipe that predate the book - which means it may have been (and probably was) extant as a folk or colloquial term before the book and used rather than invented. It may also have applied to different recipes, since recipe books tend to hone in and adapt a recipe to encompass available ingredients and methods, rather than repeat it verbatim.

Further, there are dozens of variations of the dish going back to at least the 17th century, so "UK snatching a name to use it for something different" is not much of an accusation. people repurpose terminology all the time - and since Pigs in a Blanket is a euphemism that literally means "pork in bread" then Betty Crocker can't claim invention, ownership or definition of it.

3oUz8Js.gif

Sprite = Lemonade in UK? Yes and no.

If you order a Sprite, they'll bring a sprite - or offer to substitute a 7Up or whatever they've got that's close. If you order say a Vodka and Lemonade in a working class pub, they'll happily put Sprite in it because it tastes ballpark like Lemonade as we brits understand it.

Fact is that Globe made the best Lemonade before they were lost to the sands of time. Barr's a close second.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Now I'm confused. What part doesn't work?
Referred to Iced Tea, sugar doesn't dissolve in (or technically dissolves slowly in) cold liquid. But people will still serve you unsweet iced tea with a sugar packet or two as if that will help, when all it does is sink to the bottom of the drink.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
How are there still people in here thinking the UK doesn't have regular lemonade hahaha. It's that the word is more broad here, not that we don't have what you call lemonade
This was posted yesterday, and when I posted it, there WERE people who described their only exposure to "lemonade" being the fizzy flavored drink variety. I acknowledge that lemonade does exist in its traditional form in places in the UK, but it sounds like it isn't something that is commonly enjoyed like in the US.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that Sprite and 7up are lemonade because they have failed to distinguish themselves from Whites, Barrs etc.

Also Sprite is just pretending it has lime in it. If it had lime in it it would be neon green like god intended.

Oct 25, 2017
Sprite tastes nothing like lemonade and because of this on behalf of the United States of America I hereby declare war on all nations or peoples that consider sprite to be a lemonade.

In parts of UK, this is a cheesecake, name due to the icing looking like grated cheese. Other parts call it London cheesecake.

800px-London_Cheesecake_%2825899234460%29.jpg
A7btEai.gif

this is like one of those movies where someone accidentally made a small change in the past and when they came back to the present everything is fucked up and doesn't make sense.
dude what universe are we from this one is fucked up real bad

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Referred to Iced Tea, sugar doesn't dissolve in (or technically dissolves slowly in) cold liquid. But people will still serve you unsweet iced tea with a sugar packet or two as if that will help, when all it does is sink to the bottom of the drink.

Ah. I thought you were talking about hot tea.

mr-paul

Oct 27, 2017
London
British, have lived in London and Southampton.

Sprite has always been known as lemonade in my life. Yes, it has a bit of lime, but there's barely a difference.

Cloudy lemonade is king though.

snapshotimagehandler_1157384042.jpeg

Never ever seen one of those 'London cheesecakes' though. WTF is that?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never ever seen one of those 'London cheesecakes' though. WTF is that?

They're delicious. Puft pastry with a layer of jam, icing on top with sprinkled sliced coconut in the icing.

You probably won't find them unless you go to a bakery, one with old roots at that. Supermarkets unlikely to ever make them.