• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know this was a thing, carbonated soft drinks being called 'lemonade' in other countries, but I guess it doesn't totally surprise me.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Freshly Squeezed Sunny D

This was an actual poster up in a small hamburger joint in Detroit (that sadly closed around 2011):

GsAVfkP.png

fromthekage.blogspot.com

The Harmonie Cafe: A guy and his grill

A guy named Mike stood behind the counter, talking to another guy about the latest scandal to hit Detroit. (It’s so new, I don’t think it’s ...
(A photo of their Kool-Aid jug is in this article)

Their Kool-Aid was honestly some of the best I've ever had.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to take a page out of France's book and have some good citron pressé

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Tbf no one really cares about lemonade as much and if you do want good lemonade it wouldn't be the fizzy one.

As for flapjacks the closest thing we can explain to people outside is a granola/oat bar but flapjacks are pretty good and traybakes and flapjacks are almost the same.

But here's a few more

Coriander (ROW) = Cilantro (US)
Aubergine(UK&I, France, French speaking nations) = Eggplant (US, English Canada, ANZAC) = Brinjal ( South Asia, parts of Africa)
Courgette (UK English) vs Zucchini (US English)

But grammar does make itself a bit odd with words like learnt, burnt, etc non-existant outside of British English.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes they have. It is lemonade as far as UK tastes are concerned. Sprite and 7Up. Funnily I never ever buy either though and just get Schweppes lemonade or more likely a cheap supermarket lemonade.
Same, because 7up and Sprite aren't lemonade. So if I want lemonade I buy lemonade like you lol 😋

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. There are some strange people in Europe. Sprite isnt a lemonade, get your facts straight.

I've never heard anyone call it lemonade until today. English people, German people? Try again please.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
If that is the case what would people call Sprite Lymonade?

Coca-Cola-Just-Dropped-New-Sprite-Lymonade-678x381.jpg

Apologizes if this was answered

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yeah I kind of think of Sprite as lemonade, but not a 'pure' lemonade like R. Whites.
But a carbonated drink with a very subtle lemony flavour is 'lemonade' here.

Although weirdly lemon Fanta isn't lemonade.

Lemonade actually made from lemon juice is usually referred to as 'traditional lemonade'.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely would. It's not like there isn't a difference in taste, even if I didn't see it poured from the wrong bottle/tap (I'm in the habit of checking because for a lot of my life I've had diabetics in my drinking circles who actually care more than most about whether that coke's actually a diet one).
It all comes out the L button in Australia

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If it was discovered that an alien race were disguising themselves as Brits I'd zap the ones saying Sprite is lemonade.

👽💥🔫

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmm, from the Wikipedia article on lemonade:

Wikipedia said:
While carbonated water had been invented by Joseph Priestley in 1767, the first reference found to carbonated lemonade was in 1833 where the drink was widely available in British refreshment stalls.[9] R. White's Lemonade, which is now produced and sold by Britvic, has been sold in the UK since 1845.[10]

Is it crazy that some people in some areas of the UK might taste a carbonated lemon/lime drink and think of lemonade?

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I legit feel bad for the people that haven't had a home brewed American style lemonade.

OP describing it as tart just hasn't had a good lemonade. The key is sugar then lemonade becomes the best drink on the planet.
I had some in America. It was merely OK.

Also, this thread has done a good job at explaining why I couldn't find a chicken burger in America.
Even after explaning for the language difference, I still remember chicken sandwiches being rare compared to how I can get a chicken schitzel burger just about everywhere in Aus. You guys just really fucking love beef over there. It's a shame I really hate beef.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I had some in America. It was merely OK.

Also, this thread has done a good job at explaining why I couldn't find a chicken burger in America.
Even after explaning for the language difference, I still remember chicken sandwiches being rare compared to how I can get a chicken schitzel burger just about everywhere in Aus. You guys just really fucking love beef over there. It's a shame I really hate beef.
Beef patties dominate the hot sandwich scene in the U.S., but I never felt like chicken sandwiches were rare. All major burger chains have breaded chicken in a bun, and most fried chicken chains have them as well.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Beef patties dominate the hot sandwich scene in the U.S., but I never felt like chicken sandwiches were rare. All major burger chains have breaded chicken in a bun, and most fried chicken chains have them as well.
I was only ever around the Universal Resort at the time, not even drinking age yet, so I didn't get to go looking around a ton.
I did eventually find a good chicken sandwich, hidden away in Cabana bay at some bar on the second floor, but chicken choice in the main dining area of the place was pitiful, and I recall having not much choice in the city walk, too, (I don't recall a single fried chicken place at the place). And frankly, a lot of the food I ate anywhere was shit, chicken or not. And everything was too fucking sweet, like sugar had been dumped into everything.
Meanwhile, chicken schnitzels and chicken burgers are in pretty much every restaurant in Aus. Hard to avoid. Chicken Schnitzel did not exist anywhere I looked in America.

Last edited:

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
In parts of UK, this is a cheesecake, name due to the icing looking like grated cheese. Other parts call it London cheesecake.

800px-London_Cheesecake_%2825899234460%29.jpg
Man this one is just bizarre

It's sweet puff pastry with jam in the middle, icing on top and the "grated cheese" looking bit is shredded coconut. They are cheap, and delicious.

I've lived in London and the South East all my life, and I've never come across a bakery that didn't sell them. They are always called "London Cheesecake" in this area, but as a child I always just asked my parents/grandparents if they could buy me a "birds nest cake", for obvious reasons.

Back to the topic at hand, Sprite has never been considered Lemonade anywhere I've lived. Lemon & Lime =/= Lemonade by any stretch of the imagination, but I cannot vouch of other parts of the UK.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
San Pellegrino is much better either way. I always think of lemonade as a carbonated drink, if it's not it will be labelled as still lemonade

2cd75cbe-2bb8-4146-b24f-c9e7878662b2.JPG

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It is, but it's not the 1st thing that comes to mind when thinking lemonade. Like if you're in a pub and ask for a Vodka and Lemonade and all they have is Sprite, they say "Is Sprite alright?" rather than assume that's what you want.
..and a Lager shandy made with Sprite is the devil's ejaculate. Absolutely minging.

The Lemonade ive seen in US movies/tv shows (like in a lemonade stand) is usually called Fresh Lemonade or cloudy Lemonade here. Nice with a Gin.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Aussie here as well and I have always known it as below.

This thread is interesting though knowing how things are named differently around the world.

In Australia, 7UP and Sprite would be called "lemonade".

Lift or Solo would be called something like "lemon soft drink", "lemon soda", "lemon squash" or "pub squash".

If you actually squeezed a bunch of lemons and made a drink, we'd call that "old style lemonade".

Oct 25, 2017
I live in scandinavia and would like to give a breakdown of how it is in my country.

Sprite is a soda. So is coke, squash, schweppes etc. In general, fizzled artificial flavours with sugar or other sweeterners.

Non fizzled artificially based flavours with sugar or sweeteners are called "Saft"

Squeezed fruit is Juice

Fizzled beverages with alcohol is called Cider (usually apple or pear).

Oh and Lemonade is water with lemons and sugar. It's not really popular here.

Also, pancakes are flat and large. You pour sugar in them straight down a line, then roll them up and eat them like a roll. You can also put marmalade and/or ice cream in them.

You can also use syrup i guess.

We do have american style pancakes in some resturants. It's not super popular but you can often find them with brunch at hotels or in restaurants. We specifically call those american pancakes though. If you get the chance, try out european style sometime.

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
In the UK if I ask someone to go fetch a bottle of Lemonade they would most likely return with a clear carbonated lemon drink which includes Sprite and 7Up. There is also cloudy lemonade or pink lemonade which is the more bitter varieties.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, from the Wikipedia article on lemonade:

Wikipedia said:
While carbonated water had been invented by Joseph Priestley in 1767, the first reference found to carbonated lemonade was in 1833 where the drink was widely available in British refreshment stalls.[9] R. White's Lemonade, which is now produced and sold by Britvic, has been sold in the UK since 1845.[10]

Is it crazy that some people in some areas of the UK might taste a carbonated lemon/lime drink and think of lemonade?

The above is why. Also:

Lemonade means carbonated lemonade, because that has always been way more popular than still lemonade in the UK. Mainly because of R. Whites.
It was also very cheap, and while good quality lemonades (still or fizzy) exist, they are expensive, so there was a race-to-the-bottom so that most people ended up drinking carbonated water with some sugar and artificial lemon flavouring, that contained zero actual lemon.
Similarly, people use the -ade suffix to refer to any carbonated squash/cordial type drink so we get orangeade and cherryade.

Sprite is lemonade and lime.
It is not a lemonade in the sense that you would not give someone a Sprite if they asked for a lemonade (unless no actual lemonade was available).
Before Sprite became a thing in the UK, people would make it themselves by mixing lemonade + lime cordial.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The above is why. Also:

Lemonade means carbonated lemonade, because that has always been way more popular than still lemonade in the UK. Mainly because of R. Whites.
It was also very cheap, and while good quality lemonades (still or fizzy) exist, they are expensive, so there was a race-to-the-bottom so that most people ended up drinking carbonated water with some sugar and artificial lemon flavouring, that contained zero actual lemon.
Similarly, people use the -ade suffix to refer to any carbonated squash/cordial type drink so we get orangeade and cherryade.

Sprite is lemonade and lime.
It is not a lemonade in the sense that you would not give someone a Sprite if they asked for a lemonade (unless no actual lemonade was available).
Before Sprite became a thing in the UK, people would make it themselves by mixing lemonade + lime cordial.

This post, including the quoted post, encapsulates the whole truth as far as lemonade in the UK goes.

/thread

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yup.

In UK:
Lemonade = Carbonated lemon-based drink (7-Up/Sprite etc.)
Lemon Juice (or sometimes labelled US-style lemonade in some restaurants) = Still lemon squeezed juice with sugar/water drink. This isn't as common as it is in the USA. Can be found in some restaurants but you can also find it as Snapple in some stores (usually an import item).

Point is, if you simply ask for lemonade in a cafe/restaurant/bar/pub you will be given Sprite or 7-Up unless you ask for still lemon juice (which they might not have).

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody has ever once considered Sprite 'Lemonade' in the UK.
Never has this happened.

Both Sprite and 7Up are considered lemonade by most people because most people grow up on the 10p panda pop shit that is also considered lemonade.

Also this. Sorry for growing up poor. Also -ade is a very clear naming scheme that means "this, but fizzy"

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What in the name of all that is holy is that thing?!

I've never seen that once in my 43 years!
Yeah, I'm with you here. I've lived in this country for most of my 37 years, and I have no idea what this is.

PS - I've never called Sprite "lemonade" because it's a different drink; it's not lemonade. If I asked for a Coke in a bar and they said "Pepsi ok?" I'd say yes, because those are both colas. If I asked for lemonade and they said "Sprite ok?" I'd say no, because Sprite isn't a lemonade.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Boss, Sprite is a drink. Lemonade is for squeezing lemons.

I said that in a way a Zambian actually would say it. It means Sprite is a carbonated drink and lemonade isn't... it's squeezed lemons mixed with sugar and water. I'm Zambian BTW. And yes we call everyone Boss when we are being sarcastic.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The UK also took the food "pigs in a blanket" which was created in the USA many decades ago, and instead uses it on bacon wrapped hot dogs... which would just be pigs in more pigs...

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The UK also took the food "pigs in a blanket" which was created in the USA many decades ago, and instead uses it on bacon wrapped hot dogs... which would just be pigs in more pigs...

To be fair, it's not like the US version of Pigs in a Blanket have the sausages wrapped in an actual blanket so it doesnt matter. UK blankets are just tastier and meatier that's all.