• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
It's a kind of lemonade in the UK we also cloudy lemonade, lemon juice, etc. But if we're going to go on these terms might as well bring up

Flapjack(UK) = Granola Bar/Oat Bar
Flapjack (US+CA)= Pancake (Most countries)
Biscuit (Europe+Asia) = Cookies/Crackers (US)
Biscuit (US) = Soft bread roll

Biscuit just means doubly cooked iirc

Of course there's the famous Fannypack(US) = Bumbag (UK)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's a kind of lemonade in the UK we also cloudy lemonade, lemon juice, etc. But if we're going to go on these terms might as well bring up

Flapjack(UK) = Granola Bar/Oat Bar
Flapjack (US+CA)= Pancake (Most countries)
Biscuit (Europe+Asia) = Cookies/Crackers (US)
Biscuit (US) = Soft bread roll

Biscuit just means doubly cooked iirc

Of course there's the famous Fannypack(US) = Bumbag (UK)

to confuse things more, flapjacks were pancakes in the uk in the past. Or at least in South Wales they were. My nan used to call them that.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
In the UK, lemonade can be sparkling (the Whites that people posted is the perfect example) or still. Sparkling lemonade can also be cloudy, with lemon sediment in it. If you order just 'lemonade' in a pub or restaurant, you will get the clear sparkling variety.

Sprite is not lemonade.

Sprite is sparkling lemonade with a dash of lime that isn't really detectable, so for all intents and purposes it is even though I wouldn't actually call it that myself

FFS I need to stop double posting, sorry

EDIT 2:On second thoughts the lemon isn't detectable either so maybe it's just fizzy sugar lol

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
to confuse things more, flapjacks were pancakes in the uk in the past. Or at least in South Wales they were. My nan used to call them that.

Oh yeah flapjacks were pancakes until sometime in the 18th century I believe. There's also the crisp and chips thing and this was in some ways due the machinery used to cut potatoes in the UK vs US.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nope. Not that I've ever come across at least. Same ballpark as 7up. If you wanted lemonade then you'd just get lemonade not a Sprite lol.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beside translation problems where "lemonade" doesn't necessarily describe "a sweet drink made with lemon" due to century of linguistic transformations, the problem is more the bar or restaurant you will ask for. Some only have industrial drink like Sprite or Schweppes, other will offer you local production, or handmade stuff. Same for the Ice tea.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sprite is considered lemonade here, yeah.
I mean, I know it's lemon and lime, but nobody goes "boy I could go for some lemon and limeade".

Nov 8, 2017
but nobody goes "boy I could go for some lemon and limeade".

Deus_Ex_%2528PC%2529_20.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Confused. If it's in a burger bun it's a burger, a sandwich is between sliced bread. I don't think McDonald's have sandwiches?
This is the understanding here in Austria and (I guess) Germany as well, but "originally", it's about what's inside.
Where I am, the bun makes the burger, while the patty makes the burger in the US. A chicken filet would be in a sandwich, since it's not a burger patty.

So yes. McDonalds has sandwiches. If you define them as such.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Sprite is sparkling lemonade with a dash of lime that isn't really detectable, so for all intents and purposes it is even though I wouldn't actually call it that myself

That's the point. Nobody would. Same with 7-Up. Whereas something like cloudy lemonade with raspberry would still be lemonade. Doesn't have to make sense - that's just how it is here.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
The hamburger doesn't get its name from the bun. It gets it from the cooked meat patty, a.k.a. a hamburg steak. In fact, early written records refer to the bun and hamburger patty assembly as a "hamburger sandwich".

This is correct, but the meaning has shifted since then. People thought the "ham" in "hamburger" referred to the meat and came to the conclusion that the "-burger" must be the bun. This process is called resegmentation in linguistics and happens all the time in all languages.

So it doesn't really matter what the meaning was originally, only how it is used today (which seems to vary regionally).

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is how it is.

Sprite and 7up ate NOT considered lemonade in the UK.

Lemonade can mean a clear carbonated lemon flavour drink, like R-Whites or it can mean the traditional style lemonade Americans are more familiar with. It think this is probably another rationing hold-over. Traditional is much better but maybe lemons were hard to come by at one point so we got used to the more artificial fizzy stuff.

I know people are saying that 7up and Sprite are considered lemonade. Those people are fools. Most of them have anime avatars.
In the UK, lemonade can be sparkling (the Whites that people posted is the perfect example) or still. Sparkling lemonade can also be cloudy, with lemon sediment in it. If you order just 'lemonade' in a pub or restaurant, you will get the clear sparkling variety.

Sprite is not lemonade.

Look, be honest with yourselves: If you went into a pub and ordered a pint of lemonade and you got a pint of Sprite / 7up, you would not even blink. It would not ever occur to you that you didn't get what you ordered.

You'd pay your £1.70, have a drink and think "Ah, lemonade".

You've clearly never had a flapjack.

Butter, Golden Syrup, Brown Sugar, Porridge Oats. Incredibly tasty and incredibly unhealthy. Make's your pancakes look like health food.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Look, be honest with yourselves: If you went into a pub and ordered a pint of lemonade and you got a pint of Sprite / 7up, you would not even blink. It would not ever occur to you that you didn't get what you ordered.

I absolutely would. It's not like there isn't a difference in taste, even if I didn't see it poured from the wrong bottle/tap (I'm in the habit of checking because for a lot of my life I've had diabetics in my drinking circles who actually care more than most about whether that coke's actually a diet one).

I probably wouldn't complain if it were my drinking, but I'd certainly notice.

You've clearly never had a flapjack.

Butter, Golden Syrup, Brown Sugar, Porridge Oats. Incredibly tasty and incredibly unhealthy. Make's your pancakes look like health food.

This, however, is god's honest truth.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Sprite is considered lemonade in the Commonwealth because it's basically Coke's version of Schweppes Lemonade. But if you ask for Lemonade you would typically get Schweppes first if they have it and Sprite as a "good enough" lemonade if they don't.

SCHW004_2048x.jpg

Lemonade is fizzy outside the US.

US lemonade is referred to as "lemon squash" in the Commonwealth.

snapshotimagehandler_585580382.jpeg

Although outside the UK the carbonated version is far more popular and widely available:

KirksLemonSquashSoftDrink375ml.jpg

51agu4MZ0QL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Which is also one of my favourite type of drinks after passionfruit soda:

41nPzDEC7CL.jpg

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I used to be subscribed to one of those variety snack box things, and they had some AMAZING British style flapjacks. So, yes, you Brits have us beat on this one. American granola bars are mostly crap.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If I went to a pub and ordered lemonade and they gave me Sprite, I would accept it but I would still be disgruntled because Sprite is not lemonade, though it is close. It has lime in it. How can lemonade have lime in it?

What I would expect is for the waiter to apologise and ask if Sprite is OK as a substitute.

In reality I would never order lemonade on pub because I'm a 39 year old rugged bloke and I don't drink fizzy pop either in the pub or anywhere else. Grrrrr.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I legit feel bad for the people that haven't had a home brewed American style lemonade.

OP describing it as tart just hasn't had a good lemonade. The key is sugar then lemonade becomes the best drink on the planet.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5092.jpg

Used to love this in Australia. Always used to have some on hand in the fridge to drink after shagging.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Wait what? 'murica, you should be ashamed.
American biscuits evolved from hardtack, which is an actual type of biscuit. Over the years it was gussied up with shortening and baking soda leavening into a form of quickbread like a scone or soda farl, but the biscuit name stuck.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If asked what flavour Sprite and 7Up were, I would say they were lemon (with sprite being lime also? But I've had lemon/lime things and they don't taste like Sprite). Thus I'd class them as lemonade - the same kind that are cheap, clear, obviously not what is called "traditional" lemonade here that is cloudy/light yellow and has more bite to it, not just sweet garbage (it's sweet/tangy garbage).

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In parts of UK, this is a cheesecake, name due to the icing looking like grated cheese. Other parts call it London cheesecake.

800px-London_Cheesecake_%2825899234460%29.jpg

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
People need to remember the UK and Ireland has a load of regional variations for what it calls things.

Like, I remember "lemonade" being used to refer to any non-cola fizzy soft drink.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In UK we call vacuum cleaners 'Hoovers', the act of using one called 'Hoovering', if a carpet is dirty it needs 'Hoovering up' or 'Given a hoover'.