• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
In the Uk it is easy to find 2ltr bottles of Lemonade - Whites and Schweppes, but hard to find cans. Its a bit odd. Go into most supermarket or newsagents and they only stock Sprite in cans. Actually and San Pellegrino as well.

Now I really need a sprite.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
That's barely an issue, it's the fact they call any desert pudding I can't get use to. I've listened to hundreds of hours of Brits talk during podcasts, and it's still an earworm I've yet to overcome.

In all honesty that's an older generation thing that I almost never hear. "Dessert", "afters" and "sweets" are all more common than pudding

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
UK here. Sprite is lemonade. 7up is lemonade.

If it's fizzy, clear and citrus, as opposed to say a cola, it's lemonade.

The real lemonade is R White's though:

Last edited:

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
In the uk you very rarely hear someone say hamburger. It's always beef burger, chicken burger, pork burger etc etc.

Interesting fact, in the Sherlock Holmes novels stuff like this was changed, localised for the American market. In A Study in Scarlett bacon and eggs where changed to Ham and eggs and Whisky to Bourbon.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Does it at least require the presence of lemons, similar citrus or a reasonably lemon-like artificial flavoring?

Lemonade = carbonated clear drink similar to Sprite.

Traditional lemonade = the standard non carbonated lemon drink you guys have.

Cloudy lemonade = Fizzy drink with strong lemon flavour, sort of a cross between the two (this is what the San Pellegrino can above is)

All of the above are readily available in the vast majority of stores, it's not like what you call lemonade is alien to us

The second two always have lemon juice or at least lemon flavouring, the first one less so but can.

Last edited:

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty much anything with -ade at the end in the UK is carbonated.

We have clear lemonade that is carbonated that's what most people here would think of if you offered them lemonade.

We have cloudy lemonade which is what you would be thinking of as lemonade, there's loads of versions though, some are just the carbonated lemonade above but with something extra thrown in to make it look cloudy, some are proper still lemonade from lemons, some are a mix of the two.

And then you have sprite and also 7-up, those are both lemon and lime so I don't know anyone who would call them lemonade but there's so many different regional variations on things that I could be wrong

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
lemonade has always been carbonated. a lot of fruit drinks that are carbonated have the -ade suffix.

just because americans started doing it and making it uncarbonated, but still calling it lemonade, doesn't make everyone else wrong

it's americans that are wrong

in germany we called a lot of other soft drinks "x-limonade", like is Orangenlimonade, because we do not really have a word like "fizzy drink", cola was cola, and fanta was fanta, but the rest, which were mostly other fruit-based carbonated drinks, were just called "limonade" as a general descriptor as "fizzy drinks". it's basically the -ade suffix in English, which denotes carbonated drink. but our language suffixes don't work that way, so it's "fruit/whatever here-limonade". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ade_(drink_suffix)

but some things, like cola mixed with orange soda, is called spezi, and one of the brands is called Mezzo Mix

quite a few european languages do this.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
The word comes from Hamberg, Germany, not ham.
'burger' is some passed down mutated nonsense, so nobody should be precious about it :)

Hamburg actually. A 'Rundstück warm' ('round piece warm') was a slice of pork brisket on a Brötchen (a traditional crispy bun you can find everywhere in Germany). Americans who came home from Hamburg started copying this with the stuff they had at home so they used minced beef and soft buns and called it a 'Hamburg steak'. Don't quote me on this.

What I wanna know is why here in Germany we have that disgusting yellow Fanta instead of the superior orange version you have in the US. And yes, I'd consider it lemonade, a word that is pretty much used for all 'soda pop'-like drinks here. Why would anyone drink uncarbonated lemon water? Sounds vile.

fa-or-033l-ew-pet.png

nded

Nov 14, 2017
lemonade has always been carbonated. a lot of fruit drinks that are carbonated have the -ade suffix.

just because americans started doing it and making it uncarbonated, but still calling it lemonade, doesn't make everyone else wrong

in germany we called a lot of other soft drinks "x-limonade", like is Orangenlimonade, because we do not really have a word like "fizzy drink", cola was cola, and fanta was fanta, but the rest, which were mostly other fruit-based carbonated drinks, were just called "limonade" as a general descriptor as "fizzy drinks". it's basically the -ade suffix in English, which denotes carbonated drink. but our language suffixes don't work that way, so it's "fruit/whatever here-limonade". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ade_(drink_suffix)

but some things, like cola mixed with orange soda, is called spezi, and one of the brands is called Mezzo Mix
The word "limonade" was used in France to refer to a sweetened lemon drink about a hundred years before the invention of carbonated water.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
On behalf of everyone in the UK, aside from the dirty liars in here, I can confirm that Sprite is not lemonade. Lemonade is purely lemon flavoured, Sprite has lime and does therefore not qualify.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
In Australia I've always thought of Sprite as a lemonade (a shitty one IMO) but in the last year they have changed the packaging to explicitly say 'lemon lime flavour' on it now.

I've always thought of Sprite as just lemonade and the lemon-lime labeled ones as some new variant but according to this the recipe was changed in August last year and there is only lemon-lime flavour. So did Sprite in Australia used to be lemonade but now it's the same as the American version?

Australians also seem to believe that a burger is defined by the presence of a hamburger bun and not the hamburger patty. Anything placed in a hamburger bun apparently becomes a burger.

Yes, it bugs me that Americans refer to chicken burgers as "chicken sandwiches". A sandwich is on slices of bread, not a burger bun. I'm pretty sure the US is the odd one out here.

Also am I right to understand US doesn't have concentrated juice drinks and only use powder like kool-aid?

Hmmm, it cordial not a thing in the US?

5cd35c372300005600b76164.jpeg

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Now how does schorle fit in there?

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I'm asking this unironically: This is... something to drink?
Because for a solid 20 seconds I was wondering why you'd post images of some kind of fruit-scented detergent

Well I can't deny that it does indeed look like the bolded, it is indeed something to drink, a concentrate that you add water to. The amount of water depending on the brand and how sweet you want it.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Australians also seem to believe that a burger is defined by the presence of a hamburger bun and not the hamburger patty. Anything placed in a hamburger bun apparently becomes a burger.

I'm not sure that I trust them with identifying lemonade.

It depends. Any beef patty in a bun is obviously a burger. Any chicken patty is too because that's not a different thing.

But then sliced beef or sliced chicken in a bun would be a sandwich. In that sense it's both the patty and the bun that define it.

Not that anybody would eat a beef patty in sliced bread but what would you call that? It certainly wouldn't be a burger so it can't just be the patty that defines it.

(side note I'm British so potentially am different again to what Australians say lol)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Almost perfect. Should've used cream gravy.
I'm sure Uzzy was feeling great about your positive feedback, and then just sneak edited it into this lukewarm "constructive criticism" pleasantry. How could you.

Well I can't deny that it does indeed look like the bolded, it is indeed something to drink, a concentrate that you add water to. The amount of water depending on the brand and how sweet you want it.
I think I may have actually had the orange variety when I was doing some English learners program in the UK and staying with a host family in Oxford. Does the orange stuff not really taste like oranges? Very artificial and (this might be subjective) real bad?

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What I wanna know is why here in Germany we have that disgusting yellow Fanta instead of the superior orange version you have in the US. And yes, I'd consider it lemonade, a word that is pretty much used for all 'soda pop'-like drinks here. Why would anyone drink uncarbonated lemon water? Sounds vile.

fa-or-033l-ew-pet.png

In the UK we used to have the nicer orange version but I think it was forced to change to the yellow one in the early 90s due to an ingredient being banned.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I think I may have actually had the orange variety when I was doing some English learners program in the UK and staying with a host family in Oxford. Does the orange stuff not really taste like oranges? Very artificial and (this might be subjective) real bad?

Subjective perhaps, but I agree completely. I don't like the orange much, very artificial. Lime (Coolah) is best, and also the most popular. Lemon is great too. I mostly drink them with soda water.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how it is.

Sprite and 7up ate NOT considered lemonade in the UK.

Lemonade can mean a clear carbonated lemon flavour drink, like R-Whites or it can mean the traditional style lemonade Americans are more familiar with. It think this is probably another rationing hold-over. Traditional is much better but maybe lemons were hard to come by at one point so we got used to the more artificial fizzy stuff.

I know people are saying that 7up and Sprite are considered lemonade. Those people are fools. Most of them have anime avatars.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Not that anybody would eat a beef patty in sliced bread but what would you call that? It certainly wouldn't be a burger so it can't just be the patty that defines it.

(side note I'm British so potentially am different again to what Australians say lol)
That would still be a burger. Patty melts exist and are classified as burgers. There are also burgers made with sliced sourdough rounds and Texas toast. If someone made a burger with Wonderbread I would question their sanity but not the classification of the burger.

I'm sure Uzzy was feeling great about your positive feedback, and then just sneak edited it into this lukewarm "constructive criticism" pleasantry. How could you
Sorry, after making that post I just started fantasizing about sausage gravy with black pepper and chunks of bacon and couldn't help it.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. Any beef patty in a bun is obviously a burger. Any chicken patty is too because that's not a different thing.

But then sliced beef or sliced chicken in a bun would be a sandwich. In that sense it's both the patty and the bun that define it.

Very few Australians would call anything that looks anything like a hamburger a sandwich. But also a hamburger is usually considered hot food. If you just put a salad in between two burger buns it would probably be a cause for national debate as to how to classify it and people would be wondering why you didn't just make a sandwich using sandwich-appropriate buns/rolls.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

There's a strong chance you're thinking of this.
Not even a hint of orange taste in these bad boys despite what the label would tell you lmao.

snapshotimagehandler_1285094972.jpeg

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
In Ireland both Sprite and 7up are considered lemonade (even though they're lemon-lime) We also have something called red lemonade which tends to blow people's minds. I can't even describe the taste of it but it's incredibly popular and everyone has fond childhood memories of it. (For any Colombians reading, it kinda tastes like a drink you have called Colombiana, just pure fucking sugar in a bottle).

tk-pair.png

ACTUAL lemonade tends to be called lemonade juice or natural lemonade.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
In the UK Sprite is considered lemonade.

Schweppes is always the king of lemonades but if Sprite is on offer then it sometimes gets a pass.

As someone who went to Germany and never knew of Mezzo Mix, it's certainly a strange taste for sure.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
edit:
It's officially a "lemon-lime soft drink"

Coca-Cola Australia - Home Page | Coca-Cola AU

Coca-Cola Australia is the home of the latest news, products and events of your favourite beverage. Read through our stories on how Coca-Cola helps the community.
in the UK too:

Sprite - Official Home Page | Coca-Cola US

Sprite is a refreshing, lime-flavoured soft drink from the Coca-Cola Company. Discover the ingredients and nutritional information for this product.
Not lemonade.

I do wonder if Sprite tastes different in America cause I hate our version, while I love other lemon/lime stuff.
I think they changed it up to say that. I'm pretty sure there was one stage where they called it lemonade.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So you're telling me that American lemonade isn't fizzy? Or clear? Or sold in 2 litre bottles like Coke?

What the heck

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
In the UK, lemonade can be sparkling (the Whites that people posted is the perfect example) or still. Sparkling lemonade can also be cloudy, with lemon sediment in it. If you order just 'lemonade' in a pub or restaurant, you will get the clear sparkling variety.

Sprite is not lemonade.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
There's a strong chance you're thinking of this.
Not even a hint of orange taste in these bad boys despite what the label would tell you lmao.

snapshotimagehandler_1285094972.jpeg
Possible, it was over 10 years ago, so I don't recall all the details.
I do remember awful "orange" drink for breakfast and a chicken dish that, despite having the texture and look of a regular chicken breast, absolutely tasted like fish.
I also remember them not getting my name right once in three weeks.
Not the greatest host family.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lemonade is a fizzy drink.

Lemon juice is a non fizzy drink.

That's why cherryade is fizzy and cherry juice is not.

Everybody knows this.

EVERYBODY.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Lemonade is a fizzy drink.

Lemon juice is a non fizzy drink.

That's why cherryade is fizzy and cherry juice is not.

Everybody knows this.

EVERYBODY.

Can confirm. Growing up in the UK, -ade as a suffix meant fizzy. Maybe it's just a British thing, or might be more localised than that, but it's how it worked where I'm from.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If it has bread, it's a sandwich. If it uses buns, it's a burger.

Don't understand how you Americans get this so wrong.
The hamburger doesn't get its name from the bun. It gets it from the cooked meat patty, a.k.a. a hamburg steak. In fact, early written records refer to the bun and hamburger patty assembly as a "hamburger sandwich".