• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Australians also seem to believe that a burger is defined by the presence of a hamburger bun and not the hamburger patty. Anything placed in a hamburger bun apparently becomes a burger.

I'm not sure that I trust them with identifying lemonade.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
Australians also seem to believe that a burger is defined by the presence of a hamburger bun and not the hamburger patty. Anything placed in a hamburger bun apparently becomes a burger.

Burger is a much better way to describe things in a bun than just sandwich.
Imagine living in a world where we can instantly differentiate between these things:
NTffdkw.jpg
uYO8sGo.jpg

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it at least require the presence of lemons, similar citrus or a reasonably lemon-like artificial flavoring?

Lemon or lemon flavouring.

Colloquially "lemonade" generally refers to the clear lemon-flavoured soda while "cloudy lemonade" refers to the stuff made with lemons.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

But that does make it a burger.
It doesn't suddenly become a sandwich because you put chicken in it.

Edit: the non-carbonated lemonade does exist in Australia, but only some small companies offer them. It's good stuff.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Because the closest common thing we have in Australia is carbonated it's very confusing as a kid learning what American lemonade is

But that does make it a burger.
It doesn't suddenly become a sandwich because you put chicken in it.

Edit: the non-carbonated lemonade does exist in Australia, but only some small companies offer them. It's good stuff.
I always figured the best way to get American-style lemonade here was to buy some lemon squash and let it go flat.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

It makes way more sense to name a food based on its overall structure than on a single ingredient. Imagine the chaos society would tumble into if we extended this nonsensical "change one ingredient, entirely new type of food" thinking across other foods.

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
why can't these countries be less weird and more like the country that made donald trump its president

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this the same everywhere? I've had chicken burgers in a lot of countries.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Yes sprite is considered a kind of lemonade.

I think the 'ade' implies it's a carbonated drink. We also have cherryade and limeade etc. they are all fizzy drinks.

You can also buy the non-carbonated, cloudy lemonade which is what lemonade is known to be in America, though it's usually more expensive.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Wait what, lemonade isn't supposed to be fizzy? If you ask for a lemonade here you'll always get them bubbles (French here)

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is blowing my fucking mind. Sprite is not a lemonade on any level.
As a southerner I'm having an existential crisis here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does US not have cherryade, limeade, orangeade etc?

You don't squeeze cherrys into flat, cold water do you?

Also am I right to understand US doesn't have concentrated juice drinks and only use powder like kool-aid?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Ah, well see I don't think we really use "butty" in Australia; not in my area anyway.

So it'd be a chip burger for me.
Fascinating.

Does US not have cherryade, limeade, orangeade etc?

You don't squeeze cherrys into flat, cold water do you?

Also am I right to understand US doesn't have concentrated juice drinks and only use powder like kool-aid?
We have limeade and orange juice. Cherries aren't really thought of as fruit to extract large quantities of juice from, but it may be used to color and add flavor to a lemonade. Artificially flavored drinks are referred to as "[insert fruit] drink", and we do have them in concentrated liquid form. The "-ade" suffix doesn't seem to be regulated, so products that don't contain fruit juice like Gatorade and Country Time Lemonade exist.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are missing out, fresh lemonade with just the right mix of tart and sweet is heavenly.
Are lemons ungodly expensive in these locations or something?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have limeade and orange juice. Cherries aren't really thought of as fruit to extract large quantities of juice from, but it may be used to color and add flavor to a lemonade. Artificially flavored drinks are referred to as "[insert fruit] drink", and we do have them in concentrated liquid form.

Are your limeade and orangeades fizzy though?

Cherryade isn't lemonade with added cherry flavouring, it just cherry flavoured fizzy drink.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Are your limeade and orangeades fizzy though?

Cherryade isn't lemonade with added cherry flavouring, it just cherry flavoured fizzy drink.
Nope. A fizzy fruit flavored drink would be called a soda or pop. So your cherryade, limeade and orangeade would be cherry soda, lime soda and orange soda respectively.

Anyway, this thread makes me feel better that the U.S. has a chain of restaurants called Wienerschnitzel that doesn't sell schnitzels.

Last edited:

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in the Uk lemonade can either be carbonated or still. When I first moved back I was really confused about it, I honestly prefer still Lemonade and hate that the fizzy stuff is put in the same category.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
We have limeade and orange juice. Cherries aren't really thought of as fruit to extract large quantities of juice from, but it may be used to color and add flavor to a lemonade. Artificially flavored drinks are referred to as "[insert fruit] drink", and we do have them in concentrated liquid form. The "-ade" suffix doesn't seem to be regulated, so products that don't contain fruit juice like Gatorade and Country Time Lemonade exist.

How much juice can you get out of a gator anyway?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
In Belgium, they call every flavor of Fanta lemonade. So you basically have "cola" and "lemonade"

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's considered lemonade here in the U.K.

we also have the more traditional type of lemonade too, along with cloudy lemonade.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
In Australia, 7UP and Sprite would be called "lemonade".

Lift or Solo would be called something like "lemon soft drink", "lemon soda", "lemon squash" or "pub squash".

If you actually squeezed a bunch of lemons and made a drink, we'd call that "old style lemonade".

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Lemonade used to be the default fizzy drink in the UK before Coca Cola really got their marketing and distribution going. Lots of local drinks producers would deliver it in glass bottles from the factory to your door. I'm not sure if it was the easiest flavour to make or the demand was there because you could give it to kids or use it as a mixer with booze.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its not really lemonade, but I guess it's fairly close to uk lemonade

- uk regular lemonade is sweet, fizzy and the tiniest hint that the bottle might have once seen a lemon

- sprite is basically 7up - similar in that it's soda. But it's more flavoured (but still light)

- the thing you describe in OP doesn't really exist in the uk. Closest would be 'traditional' or 'cloudy' lemonade which is basically what you describe - but fizzy. I don't think we have it flat as a 'thing' here (doesn't mean some individualnplaces don't sell something like that - eg Wagamama have cloudy lemonade that is flat)

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Never heard anyone call any commercial sugar-filled soft drink a lemonade before, in two different European countries.

Lemonade = freshly squeezed lemons in cold water with an optional small splash of sugar.
This is what is called Lemonade in Denmark too, at least from my experience. Sprite is just referred to as a soda. Or maybe a lemon/lime soda.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has ever once considered Sprite 'Lemonade' in the UK.
Never has this happened.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Lemonade in the UK is predominately clear & carbonated, although you can buy traditional/cloudy lemonade, but this is also usually carbonated. Flat lemon flavoured drinks are sold in some places, but tend to be more premium products.

There is not a widespread tradition of making homemade lemonade.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has ever once considered Sprite 'Lemonade' in the UK.
Never has this happened.
I consider Sprite to be a lemonade with lime flavouring. I'm in the UK.

Our meaning of the word lemonade stretches to both the American definition of lemon and water (and boat-loads of sugar) but also can refer to carbonated lemon-flavoured drinks like this:

san-pellegrino-limonata-sparkling-water-24x-330ml.jpg