• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading this really good Reddit thread now about things in Europe that Americans are glad we don't have:

One thing that blew mind was that someone says in the UK Sprite is considered lemonade? Is the recipe for Sprite different or do you just have a different classification of what lemonade is?

In America Sprite is a carbonated soda with a lemon-lime flavoring and tastes refreshing. Lemonade is literally lemon juice, flat water and sugar and tastes tart.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I can can you that it's considered lemonade here in Australia.
American Lemonade is called old fashioned or traditional lemonade here.

Wikipedia told me the same is true for the UK.

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
Same in Australia. Sprite is a brand of lemonade. I don't think we have anything like what you call lemonade in America.

May 24, 2019
Same in Australia. Sprite is a brand of lemonade. I don't think we have anything like what you call lemonade in America.

There is definitely lemonade that isn't soda (I'm in NZ, but we get all the same stuff, I think)
Get yourself some lemons and sugar.

edit:
It's officially a "lemon-lime soft drink"

Coca-Cola Australia - Home Page | Coca-Cola AU

Coca-Cola Australia is the home of the latest news, products and events of your favourite beverage. Read through our stories on how Coca-Cola helps the community.
in the UK too:

Sprite - Official Home Page | Coca-Cola US

Sprite is a refreshing, lime-flavoured soft drink from the Coca-Cola Company. Discover the ingredients and nutritional information for this product.
Not lemonade.

I do wonder if Sprite tastes different in America cause I hate our version, while I love other lemon/lime stuff.

Last edited:

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, probably. Lemonade is a broad term that would cover things like Sprite and 7Up as well as the flat, tart lemon juice you describe. It's not like we think only lemon flavoured soda is lemonade though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading this really good Reddit thread now about things in Europe that Americans are glad we don't have:

One thing that blew mind was that someone says in the UK Sprite is considered lemonade? Is the recipe for Sprite different or do you just have a different classification of what lemonade is?

In America Sprite is a carbonated soda with a lemon-lime flavoring and tastes refreshing. Lemonade is literally lemon juice, flat water and sugar and tastes tart.
Da hell....as a southerner I am confused

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Da hell....as a southerner I am confused

Exactly. A tall glass of lemonade on a hot Georgia day....nothing at all like a Sprite.

lemonade-640-dm.jpg

1948498.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's even more confusing when you enter a Mexican-American household where they offer you lemonade and you get limeade and you sit confused before remembering that lime is limon in spanish.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Non-NA friends on Era: Have you heard of a limeade? Why is Sprite a lemonade, but not a limeade?

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
In Australia I've always thought of Sprite as a lemonade (a shitty one IMO) but in the last year they have changed the packaging to explicitly say 'lemon lime flavour' on it now.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017

What? Australia has lemonade (sugary carbonated, e.g Sprite), pub squash (lemony carbonated) and traditional lemonade (lemony uncarbonated).

The latter is what Americans call lemonade.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
When I went to Europe I was so relieved when I stayed at a lovely country hotel and the owners brought out actual lemonade. Not the carbonated crap you can only find over there. It was delicious.

Jun 6, 2019
Every soft drink but coke was pretty much considered lemonade in Germany when I was there.

Edit: also, a chicken sandwich was called a chicken burger. Even at McDonald's.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What Americans call lemonade in France is called "citronnade" (citron being the French word for lemon) and is quite rare, whereas sparkling drinks similar to Sprite are called "limonade". So seems like there's a bit of confusion with those words all over the world.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that American lemonade isn't fizzy. Which makes all those tv shows with kids selling lemonade on the street make a lot more sense.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Never heard anyone call any commercial sugar-filled soft drink a lemonade before, in two different European countries.

Lemonade = freshly squeezed lemons in cold water with an optional small splash of sugar.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK the default "Lemonade" is a clear lemon flavoured carbonated drink, as people have shown above. Never heard of any other product called lemonade.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What is known as "Lemonade" in Australia is often just a sweet (i.e. sugary but with no distinct flavour) carbonated drink. A similar carbonated drink with a lemon flavour will often be called something other than just "Lemonade"; a prime example is the Kirks range:

kirksboj5v.jpg

On the left is the former (which is what Sprite also tastes like here). On the right is the latter, which is like Solo.

As for your non-carbonated lemon juice and sugar dealie, that basically doesn't exist here to my knowledge.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What is known as "Lemonade" in Australia is often just a sweet (i.e. sugary but with no distinct flavour) carbonated drink. A similar carbonated drink with a lemon flavour will often be called something other than just "Lemonade"; a prime example is the Kirks range:

kirksboj5v.jpg

On the left is the former (which is what Sprite also tastes like here). On the right is the latter, which is like Solo.

As for your non-carbonated lemon juice and sugar dealie, that basically doesn't exist here to my knowledge.

this is like one of those movies where someone accidentally made a small change in the past and when they came back to the present everything is fucked up and doesn't make sense.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Woah, didnt know this was a thing. If I was anywhere and asked for a "lemonade" and they brought be a carbonated beverage I'd be so confused. US here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
this is like one of those movies where someone accidentally made a small change in the past and when they came back to the present everything is fucked up and doesn't make sense.

Yep, it's dumb as hell. I have no idea why or how the word "Lemon" got into the names of products that don't have lemon juice or flavouring.