• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 3, 2018
I'm replaying Chaos Theory currently - what a masterpiece - and it makes me get goosebumps thinking about a new game with current hardware.

I decided to google some news and info about the franchise, and the latest thing I found is a quote by a Ubisoft dev saying how they are basically having to fight and beg for resources in an attempt to make a Splinter Cell game. How valid is that? Has there been any more info? I had assumed the series overal had a very good sales and critical reception track record, so it seems weird how they would throw it aside like this. I was talking to a few people on discord while playing, and most of them argued if it came back they would probably makes it too call of duty esque with lot of insane set pieces and etc since the whole going around slowly in the shadows doesn't appeal to the current market, citing lacklustre sales of the current Hitman games. No idea how valid that argument is, just throwing that in there as a point they were making.

Anyway, play this game/series if you haven't. It's fucking amazing.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they hint at Splinter Cell in that Ghost Recon game? And wasn't it part of that weird Walmart leak?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Splinter Cell 7 is all but confirmed at this point. It's definitely a next-gen title so I'm expecting an announcement sometime in 2020.

So we love the brand first. We, er, we really, er, want to come back with at some point but I can't say much today.

Didn't they hint at Splinter Cell in that Ghost Recon game? And wasn't it part of that weird Walmart leak?

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Clint Hocking has gotta be working on something right

even though he's said he doesn't wanna work on another after Chaos Theory :(

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Clint Hocking has gotta be working on something right
I'm really hoping he's directing the new SC. He returned to Ubi Toronto in 2015 IIRC and hasn't been on any of their projects since?

So I need to ask the question. Are you working on the next Splinter Cell?

I am not. When I stopped working on Splinter Cell after Chaos Theory… the honest truth is I didn't think I could make a better one. I feel like I had made the very best Splinter Cell I could ever make and the best thing for me to do for Ubisoft and for Splinter Cell fans was to hand it off and let someone else try to figure out how to make that game differently or better and bring a new vision and a new flavor to it. Maybe one day, 5 or even 10 years from now, it will be the right time and the right place for me to make another Splinter Cell game, but that time is not now.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jade Raymond recently talked about how she was working on concepts for a new one before she left Ubisoft in 2014.

Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. The Ghost Recon crossover with Michael Ironside back as Sam seemed to be a lot of effort for something shelved. Plus all the other games in that Wal-Mart leak were true iirc, so it's likely coming.

Probably announced this year.

Fisher's old, can't sprint as much anymore

Bump him to Fourth Echelon control, the new Lambert. Bring in a new operative.

Honestly it's what they should've done with Blacklist instead of recasting Sam to someone who sounded blatantly younger and totally different.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No way. I really don't see all the pomp and circumstance of getting the OG voice actor for some DLC of another game. They probably already had him in the VO booth for an actual game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying Chaos Theory currently - what a masterpiece - and it makes me get goosebumps thinking about a new game with current hardware.

I decided to google some news and info about the franchise, and the latest thing I found is a quote by a Ubisoft dev saying how they are basically having to fight and beg for resources in an attempt to make a Splinter Cell game. How valid is that? Has there been any more info? I had assumed the series overal had a very good sales and critical reception track record, so it seems weird how they would throw it aside like this. I was talking to a few people on discord while playing, and most of them argued if it came back they would probably makes it too call of duty esque with lot of insane set pieces and etc since the whole going around slowly in the shadows doesn't appeal to the current market, citing lacklustre sales of the current Hitman games. No idea how valid that argument is, just throwing that in there as a point they were making.

It was confirmed that it was indeed coming out. It was seen and it was running..

However, it seems to be shelved for the meantime. Maybe to go back to the drawing board?
I kept hearing the game was a complete departure from the series. It was rumored to be open world online like the recent UBI games.

I am sure is coming back, but they might want to give it the "AC odyssey" treatment.

Last edited:

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The only thing I know of is that the Splinter Cell project after Blacklist got canceled, despite Blacklist vastly outperforming the modest expectations of Ubi.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They've been hinting at a new Splinter Cell for ages now. Probably going to be revealed at E3 this year I'd imagine.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Be good if they can properly exploit future CPU and GPU features - shadows, lighting, etc - for a definite stepup in the stealth elements.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's coming back, I fully believe.

Whether or not it'll adhere to Ubisoft formulaitis is a different matter entirely. I'll start sweating buckets if it's open world and 60+ hours long with level gating.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I know of is that the Splinter Cell project after Blacklist got canceled, despite Blacklist vastly outperforming the modest expectations of Ubi.

That's such a shame! Seems like a foolish decision (unless the game was a mess)

Anyway, I think the new game has likely slipped to next gen. Too much smoke around this for it not to exist.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Be good if they can properly exploit future CPU and GPU features - shadows, lighting, etc - for a definite stepup in the stealth elements.

MGSV was the last great stealth game I played, and considering MGS is never coming back, I'd love to see a Next Gen Splinter-Cell. I mean, the shadows, cloth and lighting tech they used in Pandora Tomorrow for the Xbox was fucking mindblowing.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a painful gap in dedicated stealth action games since Kojima is off Metal Gear and there hasnt been a new splinter cell in a while. I hope it comes back better than ever.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It was confirmed that it was indeed coming out. It was seen and it was running..

However, it seems to be shelved for the meantime. Maybe to go back to the drawing board?
I kept hearing the game was a complete departure from the series. It was rumored to be open world online like the recent UBI games.

I am sure is coming back, but they might want to give it the "AC odyssey" treatment.

Do you have a source for those statements?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its coming.

They didnt dig Micheal Ironside up just to record some VO for DLC for Wildlands.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt

First of all, I doubt they will even consider replicating "Chaos Theory", It was a hardcore stealth title and had solid writing and top notch design, these are things Ubi lack these days. I mean Clint Hocking is back in Ubi, yet I still doubt they would ask him to do Chaos Theory 2.

Also given the recent direction Ubi took with Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, If\When they bring back Splinter Cell, it would not be as special or as unique as it used to be, you better forget all about it. Some would argue that Splinter Cell Blacklist was pretty good, but it actually was not. It was filled with inconsistency and lacked the depth of older SC titles.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I've mentioned this is other threads, but I'm highly anticipating a new SC game but I'm torn about what direction it would go. Conviction/Blacklist made Sam feel like way to powerful with the marking system which was then incorporated into other Ubi games as others have mentioned. It also adapted an almost AC level of mobility as well. With that, I feel like any new SC release would get the Ubi open world treatment. The gameplay mechanics brought in by Conviction/Blacklist fit almost perfectly in the style.

But fundamentally being an ultra-powerful bad ass is not what SC was about until C/BL. I would love to see another game in the style/tone of the original trilogy but unless it was a reboot they would need to do some serious Metroid-like gimping to remove those mechanics. And I don't see that happening with the success of the other Ubi franchises that have gone in a similar direction as well as MGSV.