• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I went through a very big Binding of Isaac phase and thought it was that for a long time, but after rebuying the game on Switch I came to the conclusion that yeah, Spelunky is the better game. Because there's no grind in Spelunky. Everything about the game is there from the start and it's so well designed.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Except this world has Diablo 1/2/3 (all of the dungeons are procedurally generated, except for boss chambers). So no.

But I'm biased, I HATED the time pressure in that game (or any game where it's not a challenge mode or optional puzzle and/or encounter). No idea if that can be turned off in Spelunky though.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You can eliminate proceedurally generated from the topic title and it's still have a legitimate question. So probably yes.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
Maybe if it wasn't for the ghost, which would be okay if the time limit wasn't too short.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
PA9nepJ.jpg

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Spelunky shifted my perspective so much on procedural generation I was willing to give every game that featured it a shot.

Now I know there are very few devs who can pull it off right.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I went through a very big Binding of Isaac phase and thought it was that for a long time, but after rebuying the game on Switch I came to the conclusion that yeah, Spelunky is the better game. Because there's no grind in Spelunky. Everything about the game is there from the start and it's so well designed.

This. I also enjoyed Dead Cells, but the grind for higher level abilities/weapons makes the game automatically inferior to Spelunky. Also the latter is so much shorter, which is great for speed runs.
OP, it's in top 5 for sure.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely one of the best.

*It makes every run meaningful.
*It makes every level feel varied and special, with the different themes/styles they have (Dead Ceels could learn from this).
*It's is about learning and exploring, Instead of being about unlocking things for your next runt.
*It's challenging without making retries annoying/disheartening.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Spelunky's is excellent in that regard. Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy are a bit too simple in their implementations to qualify imo.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Spelunky is still the best of the Roguelites. The best "X + Roguelike elements" to this day. Especially because it didn't bother with overbearing persistent progression nonsense yet.

Overall though? Mh.

Crawl Stone Soup
ADOM
UnReal World
Cataclysm
Nethack
Caves of Qud

These are all astonishing games with depths that few games really bother to reach.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Would Diablo 2 be considered? Everything in that was procedurally generated except the towns, right? Or was it just a large set of premade maps?

Even ignoring that, I'd say Minecraft has to be up there, as well. And Terraria.

Diablo 2 was entierely procedurally generated, so it count (Diablo 1 also count, but no Diablo 3)

I vote for Diablo 2

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Without a doubt and I fully expect Spelunky 2 to become the best game of all time. No pressure Derek Yu.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
It's up there. Definitely one of my favourites. But I'm also a huge fan of things like FTL, Don't Starve, Gungeon etc.

They remind me of some of the more novel games I used to play (or wanted to play) during my Amstrad CPC 464 days...

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
No, because Invisible Inc. exists. What devs did with procedural generation in this game is amazing, never had a situation when i was fucked by unfair level generation.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It was revolutionary, and the blueprint for all the subsequent action games trying to build procedurally generated maps.

For me, it's in a close tier to 'Shiren the Wanderer', the only game comparable for its influence.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Define greatest.

If we are talking purely technical, dwarf fortress surpasses every game ever made.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Minecraft is probably the biggest but Rogue Legacy started the influx of these games so its gotta be that

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Spelunky, but Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress are the best accomplishments in procedural generation.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 2 should absolutely be considered.
I kinda thought so. It's hard for me to put anything above that, but Spelunky is still pretty amazing. It was the sole reason I owned my Vita for so long. I only got rid of it cause the screen cracked and wouldn't come on after I moved, I think it got crushed :(

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
it is surely one of the best, and one of the most polished ones, with barely any useless items and features in it. It's the Apex Legends of Roguelikes for sure :D

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely my favorite. Some great runner ups in this thread. If we aren't including the map being generated then I'd go with heroes of might and magic 3 as another runner up

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
Logically the best game of all time would be the best game in whatever category that is being discussed. So my answer would be yes.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
As good as Spelunky is, I'd have to say that the original version of Elite was a far greater achievement.

redmoss

Aug 19, 2018
Obviously the umbrella of 'procedurally generated' is wide and far, such as simple dungeon generation and randomized loot in a game like Diablo, to entirely simulated worlds of Dwarf Fortress to the sheer combinatoric madness of Binding Of Isaac.

People might say Nethack, I say Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup because it's actually has a cohesive, thoughtful design instead of the complete mess that is Nethack. People saying Angband is the best are suffering from the rose-tinted glasses too; Angband is the slot-machine of roguelikes and there are better variants like Sil that remove the grind whilst keeping the excitement of what a new run can bring.

People might say Gungeon, but I'd say Isaac trumps it in replaybility because Isaac understands what replayability means, Gungeon is all surface. No-one gets as excited for a Gungeon run vs an Isaac run.

You might say Daggerfall, but what use is all that space and sheer volume of content when it's so empty and dead? Minecraft takes even more space but the game is designed in a way that all that space has meaning.

I love procedurally generated / aleatoric / generative game systems and I've played most of them and the problem that most of them face is the designers fail to understand that you can't just 'randomize all the things' or on the other hand 'have random elements' and expect either to work. The best games understand that procedural design and procedural experiences have to be crafted, developed, and designed. Spelunky understands this definitely.

But yea the correct answer is Football Manager don't @ me