• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Sony pushing for a digital future with the PS5 design?

• No, there is no ulterior motive.

Votes: 271 32.7%
  • Yes, Sony is subtly herding consumers toward the all-digital future.

Votes: 464 55.9%
  • Knack 3, biatch!

Votes: 95 11.4%

• Total voters

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I see this idea being thrown around and I'm curious where the consensus stands. The PS5 Digital Edition is perfectly symmetrical while the disc drive makes a fairly dramatic alteration to the shape of the console leading some users to draw comparisons with lumps, tumors, and other unsightly growths.

JyPtvW9.jpg

Did they intend for the digital edition to be the more attractive option? It sounds kinda paranoid to imagine Sony would intentionally design an aesthetic flaw into a product but they stand to gain from an all-digital future. I mean yes, the disc option is there, but it's got a potbelly.

Even if it isn't a brazen act of manipulation, the fact that the disc drive is mushed onto the side seems to at least diminish its importance to the level of an optional add-on like a bike-rack on a car. In my eyes, Sony is trying to send a message without saying anything outright.

2tAXZC2r.jpg

Previous examples of paired consoles like the XBone S / XBone S All-Digital have maintained an identical design, minus the disc opening.

Personally, I'm torn. It feels like I'm being forced to decide between form and function. I prefer the balanced look of the digital edition but I'll probably settle for the disc drive out of principle. Any thoughts?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reveals disc version first and discless version as an option and somehow that second option is secretly their focus for the future?

No. Just no.

There are no 'lumps', both are waves, just hitting differently.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Digital future is every publisher's dream, there's no denying that. Less hassle, more revenue & control over their customers.

But intentionally pushing because of the design? I guess not. There really isn't any other way to put a disc drive in there.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Design aside and just by having the digital only option? Of course they are. It's way better for their cut of the game sales if they're on PSN.

Even though I'll be getting the one with a disc drive, I'll have in my mind when buying games that maybe my next console won't have one, so I'll probably be buying digital games more often anyway.

With the design itself though? Yeah, I don't know. I know I definitely prefer the look of the disc-less version.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
We really are on Groundhog Day after Thursday lol
And for your question, yes and no, they are giving a (possibly) cheaper option to a market that is becoming mostly digital, but I don't think the console design has anything to do with it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's more like a gentle nudge than anything else.

All game companies know that digital-only (or streaming) is the eventual future but that it's not there yet, so they'll keep both sides content for now until the digital side is the majority by a wide margin.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Now this thread was a long way to go for a Knack joke, but I can't help but appreciate such an effort

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
It kind of seems so, but I hope not. As hard as it is for some people to understand, a lot of people prefer to have physical games. Also this might be unfounded but I worry that when physical games are removed from the equation, digital game prices will be higher and there will be less generous sales because they have a monopoly in this platform. On PC I know that is a mostly digital only platform but at least they have different storefronts (Steam, Epic Games Store, Origin, etc) to keep each other competitive

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
We did this thread a few times already. For me, it comes down to how much cheaper it is. If it's $50 cheaper, then no.

If it's $100 cheaper? Then yes.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
It's a slight push in a direction they stand to benefit from while simultaneously allowing them a "Starting At X" price point that will market itself nicely when the time comes

They're not trying to throw a coup on physical media, but they're certainly aware of the direction things are heading in and are facilitating that direction explicitly

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Let's be real... platform owners want all digital ASAP. They get much more money from every single game sale. The realities of crappy internet worldwide is the only reason we still have a disc drive in consoles.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have to install every game to the drive. Some Switch games already come as codes in the box. PC games don't show up at retail unless they are from Blizzard or The Sims. The toothpaste is out of the tube. It's inevitable.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I mean, Microsoft was gonna do it anyways, so yeah, both companies know it's coming. And although I'm the kinda guy who enjoy physical media, it's undeniable that it is hurting the environment. As it ends in landfills or cluttering space

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty clear they designed the console disc less first and then just shoehorned the disc drive in afterwards. Seems like a backwards way of doing it to me.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
They've all been trying to usher in a digital future since Steam and Xbox Live Arcade came out. It's a multi-generation project for the entire industry.

The PS5 isn't asymmetrical to spite disc users. The machine is huge, for cooling. The curves, vertical orientation, and white/black/white design are supposed to create the illusion of slimness. The optical drive hump is an engineering necessity. You can't shove it in the middle and they're not going to put extra plastic on the other side just for symmetry.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We are already going into a digital future, each year digital sales are stronger and the industry didnt need a console without a disk drive

This is just SONY aiming for a cheaper console at release launch

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
It will clearer when they unveil pricing.

If the DE is significantly cheaper you have an answer.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Honestly, I would be all for digital only. I'm already mostly digital on Switch and fully digital on PC. The only problem is what about my PS4 games? It defeats the purpose of backwards compatibility. Now, if they offered me some sort of way to get downloads for every disc I own...they wouldn't do that, would they?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

I thought that guy retired his account or something, did he come back?

my opinion I just like anyones should be tbh. better for them if you buy digital so make it the more attractive option.

i just don't see the conspiracy, they want to make money, and to beat me and nintendo, they want to make a lot of i, hence digital. Same product but you give up a lot of value for convenience,

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Of course. The profit margins on digital sales are significantly higher. But mainly, the likely just wanted a lower sku because they need to hit a 'starting at' price point to compete with lockheart.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
They've all been trying to usher in a digital future since Steam and Xbox Live Arcade came out. It's a multi-generation project for the entire industry.

The PS5 isn't asymmetrical to spite disc users. The machine is huge, for cooling. The curves, vertical orientation, and white/black/white design are supposed to create the illusion of slimness. The optical drive hump is an engineering necessity. You can't shove it in the middle and they're not going to put extra plastic on the other side just for symmetry.
That makes total sense; if you look at it from an engineering perspective I suppose it's wise they went the route of designing two different shapes to best utilize airflow and all that, whereas Microsoft with the Xbone S All-Digital just left a bunch of empty space in the box where the disc drive is usually located.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Its pretty obvious they want people to buy the digital version. Like its not really complicated, a digital only PS5 means you will be buying every single game you want to play through PSN. No buying games used, no selling games when you're done with them, no borrowing a disc from a friend. They really did build it into the physical boxes themselves, the digital design just looks more natural.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Let's be real... platform owners want all digital ASAP. They get much more money from every single game sale. The realities of crappy internet worldwide is the only reason we still have a disc drive in consoles.

Nonsense

the reason is that millions of players would stop with the hobby if it is only digital and there is no chance to sell games when they are finished with them or able to buy used games cheap.

a disc drive will also be there in the PS6, you can also still buy cds, dvds and vinyl despite the fact that streaming music/movies is the main source of media consumption nowadays.

You have to install every game to the drive. Some Switch games already come as codes in the box. PC games don't show up at retail unless they are from Blizzard or The Sims. The toothpaste is out of the tube. It's inevitable.

oh noes, you have to install every game to the drive, what an annoyance!

many people will gladly do this if it means they can resell games and buy used ones.

I mean, Microsoft was gonna do it anyways, so yeah, both companies know it's coming. And although I'm the kinda guy who enjoy physical media, it's undeniable that it is hurting the environment. As it ends in landfills or cluttering space

but you know that loading and streaming games also hurts the environment, don´t you?

on topic: not everybody gives a damn about having a symmetrical console. and when people have the money to burn on digital games that they
can´t resell and never play again just so they don´t have discs lying around or having to stand up to change a disc, more power to them.

for many other people this is not an option.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'll tell you a little story. It's 23:44 where I live. I wanted to play inFamous Second Son, so I grabbed the disc and put it in the PS4 at 23:00. I still can't begin playing it! it's been 45 minutes! First, I had to wait until an update downloaded, then I started the game, and I am stuck in the screen that says: Downloading Game Files. Estimated Time Remaining: 02:10. 78%

So what is the point of having a disc anymore? There is 0 advantages to have a disc. You cannot start the game faster it seems.

When I buy a digital game, I do one of these three things:
a) If I pre-ordered the game (which I almost never do), just wait for pre-load to start
b) I buy a game at work, and start downloading it, so by the time I'm home, it's ready.
c) I download the game overnight, so that next morning it's ready.

It's actually better than go to the store, buy the game, put it in the PS4 and still waiting 45+ minutes to be able to play it!

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
They have stats on how many people are digital vs disc. These decisions are not made by people, they are made by spreadsheets.

And like the post above me mentions, disc does not have the same benefit it used to.
I have fiber internet - I can download an 80gb game quicker than it can install from a Blu Ray. If you don't resell or loan games out there is no advantage to discs.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't put it as "herding towards" any specific future. I think maybe it's more accurate to say they're clearly "betting on" a digital future. big companies are all about anticipating what they think people want, no matter what they say about "giving people what they don't know they want."

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell you a little story. It's 23:44 where I live. I wanted to play inFamous Second Son, so I grabbed the disc and put it in the PS4 at 23:00. I still can't begin playing it! it's been 45 minutes! First, I had to wait until an update downloaded, then I started the game, and I am stuck in the screen that says: Downloading Game Files. Estimated Time Remaining: 02:10. 78%

So what is the point of having a disc anymore? There is 0 advantages to have a disc. You cannot start the game faster it seems.

a) If I pre-ordered the game (which I almost never do), just wait for pre-load to start
b) I buy a game at work, and start downloading it, so by the time I'm home, it's ready.

It's actually better than go to the store, buy the game, put it in the PS4 and still waiting 45+ minutes to be able to play it!
You do know you can play without updating right?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Promoting remote controller in a presentation inticates the opossite though
Most who purchase that remote will use it for streaming services.

There's still a viable market for physical software, but it's shrinking each year. I suspect PS6 will be the final Sony console with a disc drive. What's going to be interesting is.... will there even be a physical media format after 4K Blu Ray?

Oct 30, 2017
So because Sony is giving an option for who wants to be all digital ... now it's means she is pushing for digital only future?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

For me, as a Canadian, it's purely a financial reason. Getting day games day one are up to $80 nowadays, and pre ordering a physical game can bring it down to as much as $50. I'm at the point where digital is honestly waaay more convenient, but I really need to see retailers carry and get competitive with digital game codes before I fully switch over.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They make more money from digital. They want a digital future, but not at the cost of pissing off a huge section of users. Are they subliminally trying to convince people to go digital? Probably not.

At how the Xbox ONe was received, I'm pretty sure digital adoption would need to be over 80% for someone to try again.