• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have been thinking about this as of late. When the PS4/Xbox One launched, we were still early in people having mostly digital content. Back then, both consoles did not have BC implemented. With the PS5 and Series X/S we will have people with large amounts of digital content. With both of them supporting BC and some of the games having updates to take advantage of the new consoles I am wondering/hoping that they are ready.

We have seen so many games that have launched that have Day 1 issues due to network issues and/or the servers not being able to handle the load. With what looks like a complete sell out of both the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles that not only will need system updates, we are looking at a lot of games needing updates and people buying a lot more digital content on launch day. Will they be ready? Will the servers explode? I personally would be pretty pissed if I can't enjoy my new console because of "network outages/network overload".

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Microsoft could be since I imagine a lot of their services are now just reliant on Azure.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Are either really going to have that much increased traffic? Aren't most day one purchasers people who are already active on XBL/PSN currently?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but I do know that I've loaded all the BC games I'm planning to play onto an external drive so that I have to download as little as possible on launch day.

Hoping to preload Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Demon's Souls, etc.. pre-launch onto an external hard drive as well.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Can't imagine it'll be that big of an influx of new people since most consoles will be enthusiasts upgrading in the early days.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
we're not all getting our systems on the same day like in launches past (various delivery dates) so my guess is the load will be lessened since everyone logging on will be staggered

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is yes, but I'm sure there will be some issues I would not care about (I only play solo games).
I meant Network traffic in general. If you buy solo games and digital you still need to download them. That is what I am more concerned about...will the servers outside of playing games on-line be able to handle so many more people downloading digital games etc. on launch day.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Has Sony fully transitioned to Azure? Would be very interesting if that's the case.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
My understanding is christmas > launch?

Also nowadays there are less midnight launches that had everyone logging on at 12:15 and just steady parcel deliveries throughout the day

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, but I do know that I've loaded all the BC games I'm planning to play onto an external drive so that I have to download as little as possible on launch day.

Hoping to preload Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Demon's Souls, etc.. pre-launch onto an external hard drive as well.
LOL...I have done the same thing. I have all my BC games downloaded and ready....it just any patches and any new games I am buying that don't have pre-loads (or at least all the assets) to download.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft could be since I imagine a lot of their services are now just reliant on Azure.
Microsoft will likely be fine, Sony on the other hand possibly not lol
Don't both of them have their servers in the same place?
Pretty sure that they both use Azure.

I posted the same question in the perorder thread. But most there seemed to thing it wasn't going to be an issue. My whole questioning was further dependence on Digital only. But I dont it will be too bad for an extend period ether way.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
We don't know how many consoles shipped, but I doubt it was more then 5 mil for both.

If neither service can handle that I'd be surprised.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My understanding is christmas > launch?

Also nowadays there are less midnight launches that had everyone logging on at 12:15 and just steady parcel deliveries throughout the day

That is a very, very good point. Most people from what I have read ordered for home delivery, which could arrive at various times. I myself pre-ordered at Gamestop in person, but your point is very valid and most likely will help cut down on everyone logging in at around the same time.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why they both wouldn't be good to go at this point. You're also going to have a lot of people upgrading from their previous consoles from the same manufacturers. So it's not like you're going to be dealing exclusively with additional traffic.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I meant Network traffic in general. If you buy solo games and digital you still need to download them. That is what I am more concerned about...will the servers outside of playing games on-line be able to handle so many more people downloading digital games etc. on launch day.
Considering I'm going physical, I don't see it as a problem to me, but I see your point. Makes sense. Idk though.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, they'll be good to go this time I think. It's not going to be worse than a typical Christmas.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Considering I'm going physical, I don't see it as a problem to me, but I see your point. Makes sense. Idk though.
I have a feeling that you will have some hefty day 1 downloads since games are printed to disc up to a month or longer. Granted, it won't be as large as the whole game, but anyone going physical I think there will be some big updates for each game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Your going to have tens of thousands of people downloading hundreds of gigabytes of firmware updates and games EACH those first few days all at the same time. Maybe even hundreds of thousands at once come peak time. I would be shocked if it was problem free across the board. We are past the days of hooking up and just playing sadly.

....god i wish I had better internet

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I am 100% expecting network outages. Not necessarily because of server load, but because of some annoying glitch/oversight that prevents log-ins or downloads etc. It's just the way it goes a this point.

I just need to be able to install Demon Souls and I'll be set.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I mean do we really think these are all new users and it's going to push the network well beyond it's current load?

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I have a feeling that you will have some hefty day 1 downloads since games are printed to disc up to a month or longer. Granted, it won't be as large as the whole game, but anyone going physical I think there will be some big updates for each game.
Oh, most definitely will be some updates, but I heard/read somewhere (my memory sucks, sorry!) that PS5 games will be ready to play from day one without the need to have patches. It might be a buggier experience, but it should be in a playable state.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Down? Maybe

I think they won't be as fast as they should usually would be for the first few days. I'm going physical though, so I should be good. Just need patches

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Launch day isn't usually an issue. It's just a trade of a few million current gen for next gen consoles.

Networks only tend to break when it's millions of users all accessing the same game at the same time.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
There are already dozens of millions of consoles on these networks. It's not like an additional 20 million will join on day 1. They will be fine.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I kind of wonder how the online play will be for Demon's Souls remake lol... I do hope it goes well. Does Bluepoint have any netcode experience?

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
Yes.

there will be less PS5's online than what the network would see with a large fortnite/warzone update at once for current gen.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm actually worried about this, I remember launch day of Titanfall. A ton of people picked up Xbox One's for that game, and sign in services actually went down almost the whole day due to first time set up servers getting slammed.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Midnight launch PS4 was a nightmare for Call of Duty but with Covid alot of people aren't getting consoles until the stores open so i think it'll be fine

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
All of my PS5 game pre-orders are digital. I just realized I might not actually be playing one of them until the following day.
I guess Sony hasn't clarified exactly how moving games from PS4 to PS5 will work. I'm just planning on moving the games getting Series X upgrades from my portable hard drive to the series x internal drive and downloading just the updates. Already have Gears Tactics and Planet Coaster installed.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Sony hasn't clarified exactly how moving games from PS4 to PS5 will work. I'm just planning on moving the games getting Series X upgrades from my portable hard drive to the series x internal drive and downloading just the updates. Already have Gears Tactics and Planet Coaster installed.
They have. Just put them on an external.