• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, he was very last minute addition to Brawl... (hence why he doesn't show in Subspace Emissary until the very end) and you can kinda tell in his moves for Smash, two of his special moves are the exact same thing (rolling into a ball and charging forward) and several of his moves are taken from other characters. He has the same down air as Sheik and he has Falco's forward air as well.

Which makes me wonder if this is the reason another Sonic character hasn't gotten in as a echo of Sonic like Shadow or Tails.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
As a representative of a franchise, his moveset feels slightly lacking. As a competitive toolset? It's very good.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
With each new entry they take away one of his many many "spindashes." Hopefully it won't be long until he gets a real forward special.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Old message boards tell me Sakurai said (at a GDC maybe?) that Sonic wasn't added until the summer of 2007, while everyone else was decided and close to being completed by the beginning of 2006. I don't see why that would prevent him from getting an echo 10 years later though.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Old message boards tell me Sakurai said (at a GDC maybe?) that Sonic wasn't added until the summer of 2007, while everyone else was decided and close to being completed by the beginning of 2006. I don't see why that would prevent him from getting an echo 10 years later though.

Yeah... so he almost didn't happen.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when the smash community hated sonic because his movement tech was so much better than everyone elses that it made catching him an herculean feat?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

(Sonic is very very good).

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
One direction I could see for the next Smash is going back to retool the older fighters (to a greater extent than ever before).

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Sonic was definitely rushed for Brawl but it's lame that he never really got the touch ups he deserved after that. Other Brawl newcomers like Wario, King Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, Pit, and all three Pokemon Trainer Pokemon got extensive reworks in Smash 4/Ultimate but Sonic has barely gotten anything and feels just as underwhelming as he did back in 2008.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just don't like his side B tbh. I love the spring. Love the spin dash. Love the homing attack.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think if Sakurai brought him in as a new character now he might take more creative liberty with the moveset.

Knowing how they did Steve, with Sonic, he would have to collect rings and if you hit him when he has no rings, he instantly dies.

Also, his moveset would probably be more boost-era oriented.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Personally, he's my least favorite fighter ever since he joined back in Brawl. He's very viable competitively, though.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually plays his games it is ass

He doesn't use his feet anywhere near enough and a lot of the cool moves from Sonic Advance and Battle are nowhere to be seen.

I guess if he had those moves plus his high base speed he would be completely OP though, so I guess that could be why there's been almost no changes to him.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Sonic feeling underwhelming because he was rushed into Brawl is the perfect reference to the sonic games feeling rushed and underwhelming. Based Massive Hero Samurai.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wish his specials were based on the elemental shields from Sonic 3.

Up b - lightning
Side b - flame
Down b - bubble

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't great in terms of series representation but it is very good as a fully functional moveset, even if many players don't make full use of it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish his specials were based on the elemental shields from Sonic 3.

Up b - lightning
Side b - flame
Down b - bubble

Make down b meteor people offstage and it would be better than what the smash team came up with

His neutral punch, his wind up punch and a bunch of his kicks are actually taken from Sonic The Fighters.

To this DAY I still wonder why they pulled so many moves from that janky game rather than anything contemporary

I wonder if it was a Sega mandate?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
To this DAY I still wonder why they pulled so many moves from that janky game rather than anything contemporary

I wonder if it was a Sega mandate?
Pretty sure it's just a case of Sakurai having nostalgia for it somehow. Note that in spite of having the modern Sonic design, which was certainly a Sega mandate, Sonic's running animation in Smash was based on Sonic CD rather than any of the more famous 2d games or the modern 3d games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Sonic is a decent character competitively, but he's just not that fun to play, and it's especially noticeable with a lot of new characters having loads of unique systems etc.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Pretty awesome moveset.

Simple and to the point.

He's fast and turns into a ball.

No need to complicate it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a real shame that Sakurai seems to be against changing up how any characters play in Smash

We get stuck with stupid stuff like two of Sonic's specials basically being the exact same thing, or Kirby's awful moveset

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People complain about all of sonics moves being spindashes, but that's a huge part of why I love using him. Really easy to confuse and lead your opponent when most of your attacks look and sound the same
It's a real shame that Sakurai seems to be against changing up how any characters play in Smash

We get stuck with stupid stuff like two of Sonic's specials basically being the exact same thing, or Kirby's awful moveset
Sonics down b and side b function completely differently, and is exactly what I'm talking about.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic has some moves I think are fun using (BAir, FSmash, UAir when it works) but despite being a competitively strong character since Smash 4, his overall move set feels rather mediocre. I know Sakurai more consciously wanted it to be very simple as a reflection of the classic Sonic games, presumably since those are some of the more popular games in Japan and also because he was a late addition, but he's one of the few "fast" characters that feels somewhat inhibited, since it's usually better to double down on a single move as a dominant option (spin dash). It becomes pretty rote; both playing as and playing against. I think it would be easy to at least mitigate some of it if Spin Dash had nerfs to its invincibility though, and I understand why they're apprehensive of changing him since much like Ganondorf, he does have legitimate fans of the way he plays.

As a side note I'm also kind of bummed to this day that they gave Sonic a Falco FAir rather than his awesome axe kick from Sonic Battle. I know his current one has utility but it doesn't feel very "Sonic"-like, that was one thing I like about his Project M version.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure it's just a case of Sakurai having nostalgia for it somehow. Note that in spite of having the modern Sonic design, which was certainly a Sega mandate, Sonic's running animation in Smash was based on Sonic CD rather than any of the more famous 2d games or the modern 3d games.
When Sega thought this looked good:
sonicrunevo239kmm.gif

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're Spindash 1 and Spindash 2. Boring, they could do better.
The fact that most players can't tell which I'm about to use is a huge part of why sonic plays great. He's fast and all of his options appear similar from the outside looking in. The entire point of the character is to overwhelm opponents.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's really only his side-B and up-smash that need complete overhauls. Everything else that makes use of his ball form (neutral-B is Homing Attack, down-B is Spin Dash, n-air is his Spin Jump, and his d-throw sorta references how he operates spin switches in S3&K/Mania) makes sense, but those other moves are just superfluous and make him feel too samey.

I also think his f-air and u-tilt should be reworked since they're very "meh" when it comes to impact. U-tilt in particular also has next to no utility for his overall moveset.

At least they reworked his Brawl d-smash and dash attack (the former in Smash 4, the latter in both sequels) so that they don't use his ball form anymore.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like his Side B is the main thing that deserves to get changed. A few normals changed here and there to become proper references would be nice too, but at the very least they've already taken out one or two of the other Spin Dash moves from his moveset. Easiest thing I could see them implement would be having Boost as his Side B and making it work much like Banjo's. Maybe not invincible, but give it a boost meter resource that drains when you use it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of how many people mentioned sonic in this thread:

www.resetera.com

What Smash Bros. veteran would you most want revamped (moveset, abilities, appearance, etc.)?

Posted this in the Smash megathread, but it go immediately buried All the DLC newcomers feel like the best possible realisation of those characters within Smash Bros. Pretty much all their moves have basis in their original games, and unique mechanics like Min-Min's arm stretching/switching and...

Would be cool to see some of these underwhelming movesets to get upgraded at some point

Oct 27, 2017
I like playing with him but from a representation/fan service point of a view the best thing about Sonic's move-set is that the spin dash is on down B and that's how it ought to be (it's just like the classics) but everything else kind of sucks lol
His normals feel so "off"; they're a mix of other characters' moves and some random stuff from Sonic the Fighters. A speedy character like Sonic who relies on his quick feet should be giving Chun-Li a run for her money with a myriad of fast and crazy kicks. His down air is also pretty dumb too, being derivative of Zero Suit and Shiek's down aerial, it should be the bubble shield bounce attack from Sonic 3&K. Oh and it ought to be a crime that the insta-shield isn't his neutral air.
Side B should be the boost from Unleashed/Colors/Generations (The light speed dash would function too closely to the "Fox Illusion" attack).
And I also feel like the Up B should be a lighting shield double jump. I've honestly never been the biggest fan of Sonic randomly generating springs underneath himself.

It just kind of sucks seeing an icon like Sonic stuck as this rushed cobbled together fighter for years and years when characters like Megaman and Simon look and feel like they've stepped right out of their most cherished games. Things would be so different if Sonic debuted in Smash 4. I'd love for things to change in the next Smash game.

Oct 12, 2020
Sonic was added to Brawl in last possible minute, because it took very long to get the okay from Sega. That's why many moves are just the spin attack in different froms or borrowed moves from other characters.

Since Smash 4 and Ultimate were focused on adding stuff, Sonic was seen as okayish, so that they never needed to rework him.
For me he is another case, why the next Smaxh should be a reboot. All of the veterans need to be completely reworked. For example Donkey Kong doesn't have a attack with barrels and Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. I would love all of the characters getting as much care as the DLC characters.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Project M Sonic is pretty perfect imo. They changed his fair into his axe kick from Sonic Battle and his side B to be a spin into a sliding kick.

EDIT: they also made the minor cosmetic changes that his nair is like the insta-shield from Sonic 3, and his homing attack always moves in a straight line (IIRC)

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic was added to Brawl in last possible minute, because it took very long to get the okay from Sega. That's why many moves are just the spin attack in different froms or borrowed moves from other characters.

Since Smash 4 and Ultimate were focused on adding stuff, Sonic was seen as okayish, so that they never needed to rework him.
For me he is another case, why the next Smaxh should be a reboot. All of the veterans need to be completely reworked. For example Donkey Kong doesn't have a attack with barrels and Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. I would love all of the characters getting as much care as the DLC characters.
Oh wow I'm a DK fan and I never even thought about the fact that he has no barrels in his move-set. That would make way more sense as his neutral B than that dumb "giant punch" that doesn't originate from any of his games. Yeah, I'd be down for a reboot that retools many of the veterans.
As I said above it's super annoying to see characters like Simon and Megaman be so accurate to their games while chacters like Sonic, Ganondorf, and even Mario barely resemble the characters that they're supposed to be.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
I mean Sonic doesn't do much besides go fast and roll into a ball in his game anyway, so it feels on point tbh

Oct 12, 2020
Oh wow I'm a DK fan and I never even thought about the fact that he has no barrels in his move-set. That would make way more sense as his neutral B than that dumb "giant punch" that doesn't originate from any of his games. Yeah, I'd be down for a reboot that retools many of the veterans.
As I said above it's super annoying to see characters like Simon and Megaman be so accurate to their games while chacters like Sonic, Ganondorf, and even Mario barely resemble the characters that they're supposed to be.
I completely understand, why Donkey Kong works they way he does. He represent the archetype of a heavy weight grappler (like Zangief), so DK throwing a barrel would go against that concept. In a lot of the veteran characters you can really see Sakurais love for fighting games, since the character represent archetypes of fighting game characters more then there sources. But i believe Sakruai really doesn't need to build on that anymore, since he created his own genre.

Even so it is hard to me to see, how he is tackling Mario in a reboot. On one hand Mario could have great mechanics like different Power Ups. But on the other hand he also represents the Default so he should represent the game as a whole.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Even so it is hard to me to see, how he is tackling Mario in a reboot. On one hand Mario could have great mechanics like different Power Ups. But on the other hand he also represents the Default so he should represent the game as a whole.
Mario has been stuck with FLUDD since Brawl, in spite of that being a reference to a specific game and not fitting at all the concept of Mario being a simple and straightforward character.

The fact that Sakurai avoids fully revamping even a single character is why I don't think an actual moveset "reboot" will ever happen either. If he feels like changing a character's moveset completely is the same as cutting them, I don't see how he'd just go and then change everyone. A reboot probably would just be the same kind of system and moveset updates we see from one game to another, just this time completely redoing the animations and models, even if just to recreate the same attacks they had before in many cases.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hate his forward air. It looks so fucking stupid. Why doesn't he do the Sonic Eagle axe kick from Sonic Battle? Why doesn't he have ANYTHING from Sonic Battle!?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Fludd is an amazing concept for a fighting game.
One of those things on paper that seems like it'd be hard/dumb when implemented.
Mario keeping fludd makes sense.

sonic should probably have the ring throw like in sonic battle. It could be like pac-mans.
but overall he's fine.