• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Sonic a bad designed game?

• Yes

Votes: 184 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 459 71.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with wanting to know where you are at any given time?
I only arrived at the end of that level because somehow I was spat out there after moving in random directions for 5 minutes.
My point wasn't about going fast... My point was a lot of sonic levels don't really allow for your brain to pinpoint where you are due to how they're designed.

Because many sections of that level are speed sections you just blaze through. It isnt as big as you are making it out to be.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Sonic is a fantastic design that requires players to both move quick, but also know when to move slower with precision.

What makes sonic great is that it doesn't play like any game that came before it and very few that came after it. Most platformers had basically followed the standard Mario formula. Some may have switched up the jump on heads mechanic (which Sonic retained) but Sonic didn't feel like anything that had come before.

Also, the Sonic boss fights are fucking epic and much better than anything Mario would throw at players for years.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Ironically, Stardust Speedway (I think that's Speedway 2 in Sonic Mania) is probably the closest thing to a "gotta go fast" zone in all of the 2D Sonic games - which is what many of the posters that "don't get Sonic" seem to want.
Also demonstrates pretty well why the series had a tough time transitioning when AAA games became less about "two-hour-at-most campaign with endless replay value" and more "ten-hour one-and-done experience." For the kind of speed and spectacle people expect from the series, these levels need to be huge, which also eats up time and resources on the development side of things. This is no better demonstrated than by Sonic Unleashed, which has utterly massive daytime levels, but probably the most blatant filler the series has had to stretch out what would be a solid three-hour game (if it was only daytime stages) into a fifteen-hour slog.

There's been a weird narrative around the Sonic Adventure games that they've always been seen as terrible through and through, but the prevailing sentiment from when those games released was "if we could have a game that was full of Sonic stages, it'd be a masterpiece," compared to the Tails and Knuckles gameplay you'd see in SA2 to push the game up to a decent length.

But this is about the 2D games anyway, which fortunately all released before this became a major issue. There's no way Sega would have gotten away with releasing either of the Sonic 4 episodes, or Mania as a full, $60 game. Hell, just look at how people reacted to Crash 4 being full-priced.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It's definitely a character that is very easy to poorly design levels for.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But this is about the 2D games anyway, which fortunately all released before this became a major issue. There's no way Sega would have gotten away with releasing either of the Sonic 4 episodes, or Mania as a full, $60 game. Hell, just look at how people reacted to Crash 4 being full-priced.

On a side note, I would absolutely have paid $60 for Mania.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's wrong with wanting to know where you are at any given time?
I only arrived at the end of that level because somehow I was spat out there after moving in random directions for 5 minutes.
My point wasn't about going fast... My point was a lot of sonic levels don't really allow for your brain to pinpoint where you are due to how they're designed.

That level is pure left to right, so you can't really get lost. But in general, Sonic levels tend to use a lot of one way gating to keep you on track. Trust that the level design will guide you.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah iunno. Just seems like those who don't enjoy Sonic games are all coming out of the woodwork to air their grievances.

Which is fine! If the game's not for you, it's not for you, so let it all out lol. Better to do it than other threads.

But for real — Sonic 2 and 3K are phenomenal, easily up there with the absolute best platformers of the era.

For those having trouble with the games, follow these tips! ✨

— Curl into a ball on downslopes. Just get into the habit of basically always doing that. Curling up makes you go much faster downhill than just running, but more importantly, you'll be MUCH less vulnerable.
— Let the level design guide your speed. Some parts are very obviously designed to be blasted through, other parts are meant to be played more deliberately. Once you start paying attention, you'll find that the Stages generally do a good job of letting you know when it's time to slow down (and no, I ain't just talking about cheap hits lol)
— Holding down the Dpad will send Sonic gradually into a full-on sprint. So if you want him to go slower, try repeatedly tapping the Dpad, rather than just holding it down. He'll slow down or speed up, according to how rapidly you tap. (Repeatedly tapping the Dpad in Sonic is akin to running without B in Mario. It sounds goofy as hell but it works.)

Sonic games become a lot more intuitive the moment you let go of some of the conventions and preclusions of other platformers.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
243.png
BVtqCqe.png

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Like, I still can't believe that there are people out there that think that Sonic, the one and only that could fight (and even win in some places) against Mario and Nintendo, is a badly designed game. It's just too crazy.

Lot of great games aren't for everyone, that is one thing, and it's ok, but you wont' see people saying Mario, Zelda, Tomb Raider... aren't badly designed games, because they were era defining games. And Sonic was too, even if you didn't like it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This is entirely based on what game you are playing.

Sonic game design is not bad by default, in fact, Sonic 1-3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic CD, Sonic Mania, Sonic Advance 1-3 were all brilliant games. Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors were also great games.

Outside of that though, there is a lot of bad design in many of the games. Sonic Adventure 2, for example, had fun but unpolished Sonic stages (that also had some weak design aspects, but the Knuckles, Tails, Dr. Robotic stages were almost universally awful (they actually brought down the superior Sonic aspects).

So yeah, nothing is bad by default, but I think making a sonic game is incredibly tough, especially if the game design is focusing on speed over fresh gameplay mechanics, gimmicks, and well thought out platforming.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The biggest issue is a problem on your end: You simply don't like how the game plays. No amount of changes the the level design will change that you don't like how Sonic controls. Which is completely fine! But it's a game specifically designed with those physics in mind. It's not a mistake on the designers part, it's a game that's designed with a certain set of physics in mind.

The other point of contention for you seems to be that you disdain Classic Sonic games for having depth at all. Yes it takes multiple playthroughs to learn a single route and there are two and sometimes three routes through a stage. Why is this bad? Are "Character Action" games bad because you can still be learning new things about the combat system on your 5th playthrough? And on a basic level, most platformers (the amazing ones anyway) encourage the same thing. I'm sorry if you don't like how the game plays but outside of completely reworking how Sonic moves nothing is going to change how you feel.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Exploration. It's called exploration for those who want it. And most will pass right by a good amount of it, while the more dedicated have something to look forward too.

Okay, it's not a popular opinion, but I'm gonna say it anyway. 2-D Sonic is better than 2-D Mario. Always has been (except the Sonic 4 series and a few other exceptions).

Now, don't get me wrong, when it comes to 3-D platformers, Mario blows Sonic out of the water. Even Sonic's best 3-D game (Generations) doesn't stand up to Mario 64 or Odessy, but when it comes to 2-D platformers, Mario has become stale.

The original Super Mario brothers up to Super Mario 3 are great! For their time. But the fact is, Nintendo really hadn't done anything with the formula to make it fresh over the years. However, the New Super Mario Bros series is flat out BORING! Hell, I never finished Super Mario World.

The speed, physics, and exploration of the Sonic series has always felt fresh in my eyes. It went from rolling to occasional slow platforming in Sonic 1, the spindash and Tails in Sonic 2, and shields in Sonic 3. All this with incredible bonus stages to add variety to the mix and the most incredible soundtrack. As you can tell by the top image, speed isn't the only thing to do in a Sonic game. You can explore, find shortcuts and bonuses. Find the best path to speed run. What can you do in a 2-D Mario game? Go from left to right. Pick up some power-ups along the way, go down a pipe for a simple bonus stage with the same gameplay, warp back, then jump down a flag pole. The same shit he's been doing for 35 years! Sonic isn't afraid to change up the formula a bit, even if it sometimes leads to some bad 2-D games. But then we get games like Sonic Rush where I'm boosting at high speeds while music from Hideki Naganmua (Jet Set Radio) is playing. Meanwhile, in NSMB, you get the same music theme over and over again. "Bop! Bop! Ba-dop!" NSMB is so BORING!! The worst series in the Mario franchise IMO. Although I did like the gold coin collecting in the second one.

im in that same camp.

i think 2D Mario is very well designed but i much prefer is 3D stuff because i get bored of his 2D stuff most of the time.

very few exceptions for me when it comes to 2D Mario.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Please don't make new threads after being threadbanned from a thread on the same topic

This topic is for the most part redundant and identical to the previous thread; as such this thread is locked.

www.resetera.com

Anybody else just not "get" Sonic games in terms of platforming design?

I've tried so many times to get into 2D Sonic games, especially after being charmed by the stellar presentation of Sonic Mania when it launched years ago. But no matter how hard I try they just never seem to make any sense to me. I love 2D platformers and play pretty much all of them, but the...

Status
Not open for further replies.