• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
I've heard that sometimes companies announce a big project as way to encourage job applications and investment even if the actual project is just starting the planning stage. It's possible that Astral Chain has been in the works for some time but they only wanted to start marketing once they had gameplay to show as it's a new IP

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Babylon's Fall was quietly cancelled and they're waiting for all of us to forget it was ever announced, in classic Square Enix fashion.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with others that it's weird timing for this, with Astral Chain about to come out.

It'd be one thing if everything was in development hell and they couldn't get anything out of the door, but Nier Automata was 2017 and Astral Chain is 2019. That seems like a VERY good turnaround to me in this industry.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the creative director dude left Platinum and left Bayo 3 without a lead. but it's now back on track apparently.

Babylons fall is going to be like a mobile game for square or some dumb shit.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
"Is something going on at Nintendo & Square Enix?!" seems like the better question (not a good question, but it would at least make sense, since they control the marketing and press releases). Platinum has confirmed Babylon's Fall is not cancelled and development was going well, but they're not publishing it and don't get to decide when or what updates or marketing is done to the public.

Astral Chain getting announced so close to launch is par for course on Nintendo published stuff.

Nintendo clearly announced Bayo 3 really early, but again, it's Nintendo, they've never been one to give a constant stream of development updates for years in advance. Mid development trailers are basically something they never do. You're probably not going to hear shit from them until 6 months before release.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope we will see something at TGA.
bayo 3 got announced way too early, feels like they pushed for an announcement at the TGAs to keep fans satiated but eh

according to inaba, development is still progressing smoothly, i think they just want to wait for the right time to show it off
To be honest though, if it wasn't progressing smoothly, we wouldn't hear about it either.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Bayo 3 was announced early because it was in the first year of the Switch release. Astral Chain is surprising though. As for Babylon's Fall, my money is on that being the worst of the three.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There's definitely been a notable absence since Automata since all of their mobile phone games seemingly are now vaporware (Lost Order with Matsuno, that cel shaded ancient Japan game that disappeared as well) and they're no longer on Granblue. At least we're finally getting a new game in Astral Chain and it's out so soon.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely been a notable absence since Automata since all of their mobile phone games seemingly are now vaporware (Lost Order with Matsuno, that cel shaded ancient Japan game that disappeared as well) and they're no longer on Granblue. At least we're finally getting a new game in Astral Chain and it's out so soon.
The mobile games are dead. At least the CyGames one is. The other is all but dead

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Probably SE will show some Babylon's Fall gameplay at TGS.
E3 was all about FF7R and Avengers.

I am not worried, announcement is only a year ago.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayo 3 isn't going to be shown when they have another Platinum game published by the same company out in like two months

Is it not weird to have that game be announced and out and the other game not even get a trailer? Not to mention they're both games for the same system.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Bayonetta 3 was announced like what, 18 months ago? It's not even that long ago... we'll see footage sometime after Astral Chain is released.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
After the cancellation of Scaleboind, they're probably being selective with what they want to show and to be fair I can't blame them. It is often hard to demonstrate something to an audience and keep them interested enough to follow, but not so interested that they start to ask when the game will be finished and become impatient. Games are a 2-6 year investment these days and having a game pulled because you showed a few snippets and the numbers and charts people upstairs did not like the response is troublesome.

Let Platinum do what they do.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Real talk first of all, there is usually "something going on" with game dev studios, that is very vague. Employees, even high level ones, come and go all the time. And the more freedom a company has to rearrange its projects the better from a creative point of view.

Secondly, if a well known IP/sequel, collaboration or publisher deal is secured early it can be tempting to announce it to gauge the fan response and keep publishers/investors on board. Whereas with a new unproven idea, it might be smart to announce it later so that they can keep up marketing momentum on it and have more to show for a first impression.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The weird thing isn't that we haven't heard anything from these games in some time, it's that Bayonetta 3 got announced so early. I guess Nintendo wanted to announce a couple of Switch games that were a ways away with that and MP4 but it's still a big difference from how they've treated everything else recently, including Smash which usually has long hype cycles.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the cancellation of Scaleboind, they're probably being selective with what they want to show and to be fair I can't blame them. It is often hard to demonstrate something to an audience and keep them interested enough to follow, but not so interested that they start to ask when the game will be finished and become impatient. Games are a 2-6 year investment these days and having a game pulled because you showed a few snippets and the numbers and charts people upstairs did not like the response is troublesome.

Let Platinum do what they do.
They never had say in what to show in the first place

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Bayo got announced early just to hype up the Switch, as AAA software roadmap was grim for the first two years of its life. Probably the same reason MP4 got announced way too early too.

I fully expect bayo3 to be released next year

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Director of Bayonetta 2, and that might be a blessing in disguise.
He fixed everything that was wrong with Bayonetta 1. And then he broke everything that was right. Bayo 2 was a moneky's paw game. At least for those that like the combat of Bayo 1. Bayo 2 is still a good God of War style spectacle action game, but it's a bad Bayo/DMC style extreme action game.

Nov 23, 2017
He fixed everything that was wrong with Bayonetta 1. And then he broke everything that was right. Bayo 2 was a moneky's paw game. At least for those that like the combat of Bayo 1. Bayo 2 is still a good God of War style spectacle action game, but it's a bad Bayo/DMC style extreme action game.
No it was a better bayo style game than the other bayo game. Not being able to do elite 1600x combos on YouTube as much doesn't make a much more structurally sound game worse

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
No it was a better bayo style game than the other bayo game. Not being able to do elite 1600x combos on YouTube as much doesn't make a much more structurally sound game worse
Except, the issue wasn't about being able to do ludicrously long combos. It was about the game mechanics all working properly with each other and there being good enemies to fight against. The enemy design is terrible while Bayo's moveset is unbalanced as heck with certain moves being near useless for no good reason. People don't want to accept that Bayo 2 had massive flaws because they enjoyed it on the first time through, whereas Bayo 1 had massive difficulty issues due to it's awful tutorial not telling the player how the game actually worked, and that's not what a lot of them are looking for anyways.

Since people prefer Bayo 2, they don't want to let anyone criticize it and say it was worse in any way than the original that they didn't like.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Bayonetta 3 is probably ready to show but they're holding off because they dont want to distract from Astral Chain, since it's a new IP.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't seem to have any actual basis. Absence of evidence is not evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.