• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you carry some type of knife or multi-tool with you on most days, alongside wallet/phone/keys?

• Yes - explain what and why.

Votes: 139 15.5%
  • No - explain why?

Votes: 758 84.5%

• Total voters

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have never once thought "wow I sure need a knife on me" at any point when I'm not eating food. So no.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Carabiner with a knife in it. For opening boxes and stuff. Def can't stab people with it lol.

Joking tell people that's my North Philly protection back when I was in Philly.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. There have been times when I thought "man wish I had something handy to cut this with" but not often enough to carry a knife. I get it but seems like a hassle and possible trouble.

but lmao at these people raising their pinkies and being like "No because I live in the civilized world"

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
No, I hate carrying shit as it is. If I've ever needed a knife, or scissors or something I'm usually in a place that has these anyway.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No, though the UK media definitely puts the fear in me when I was younger that I was somehow gonna need one if I ever went to London

My line of thinking is that if you're gonna get stabbed you're hardly gonna have the time to bring out your own knife to have a knife fight. The thing about them is that they're quick & silent, I have no idea what scenario could arise where you'd see it coming.

I probably should get a multitool at some point though, just for general handiness.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I actually want to get a small multitool that can let me cut something (like a dog leash) if I was ever in a situation.

Any good recommendations?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
but lmao at these people raising their pinkies and being like "No because I live in the civilized world"

Yeah, I don't generally carry a pocket knife either, but I don't get the hostility to the idea in this thread. It can certainly be little more than man jewelry in some cases, like a watch, but some people like having a useful tool on them and have uses for it. It was pretty common for men to carry a small folding knife or multitool in their pocket where I grew up. These were small things, under 3 inches (and often much smaller than that), and often didn't even have a locking blade. They're tools, with no pretense of them being a weapon or anything.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Every day carry? Of course not. Also, do I want a cop murdering me?

I keep a knife in my car, same one that goes with me if I'm hiking. Link.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
While I've owned a few "multi-tool" or similar things with knives on them in my younger years, they were never something I took anywhere but scout functions (at most).

As an adult, I've never seen the need for a knife outside of opening packages and cutting in the process of cooking/eating, and I've always got the ability to easily get a knife in those situations.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
Yeah, a small folding pocket knife. I can't say it's ever occurred to me to view it as a weapon. It's just used for.. cutting things? Mostly just used for putting out hay these days or other random little things I don't really think about. Useful? Yeah. Must have? Probably not.

I imagine the reason I started carrying one was because my dad did when I was growing up.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
No

And also the term "every day carry" is annoying to me. It seems to mainly be used by gun nuts and knife weirdos.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I rarely (almost never) bring my pocketknife to my corporate gig. but on my days off and at my old gig i usually have a small pocketknife in my wallet pocket. It's just nice to have on hand to be able to:
cut tape on boxes
pry things
kill a man just to see how it feels
use as a razor to scrape things
etc.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
No

And also the term "every day carry" is annoying to me. It seems to mainly be used by gun nuts and knife weirdos.
Eh gun nuts and Mall ninjas glommed to the term. It's intent is pretty benign What shit you carry in your pockets. The major thing is that no sane person really carries anything worth talking about.

"What do you have in your pockets Jim?"
"A wallet, keys, and phone."
"Nice"

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
No, can't think of anything I'd need to use it on. If I'm out and need to open something I'll just use my keys

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No

there's certainly that weird and off putting part of it.

there's also the part that just likes nice pens and goofy skill toys like yo-yo and begleri.

occasionally in the begleri group I'm in someone will post their "edc" and include a gun and there's a pile in from people letting them know what we think of gun fetishes.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, I don't generally carry a pocket knife either, but I don't get the hostility to the idea in this thread. It can certainly be little more than man jewelry in some cases, like a watch, but some people like having a useful tool on them and have uses for it. It was pretty common for men to carry a small folding knife or multitool in their pocket where I grew up. These were small things, under 3 inches (and often much smaller than that), and often didn't even have a locking blade. They're tools, with no pretense of them being a weapon or anything.

ERA thinking everyone here i s carrying a bowie knife or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure do, small 2.5" folding blade that can cut the hell out of a cardboard box. I do all the inventory at my business and really only have it for box or letter opening purposes.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Benchmade knife, for opening packages, cutting cardboard, prying something open, and one of any other hundred reasons a tool might be needed during the day.
benchmade_940.jpg

Yeah I carry this too. Got it as a gift in 2017 and been using it ever since.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a little keychain multitool pocketknife but it was crappy and broke. It was super useful, though. Maybe I'll get a new one.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I have carried a Benchmade griptilian for 10+ years. I do use it for work occasionally (land surveying), but mostly I like it for cutting fruit and shit at lunch

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I just started bringing one with me in my backpack a few years back. I don't carry it on my person, but I almost always have my backpack.

The knife is a Gerber Propel AO.

The reason I have it is kind of silly. One day when I was at work, when I was still in the Air Force, I had brought a can of beans to work and didn't have a can opener. Someone grabbed one of these knives out of our stock and easily cut the top of the tin can open.

I have used it for that more than a few times and not really much else. It's a very durable knife and I like having it around if I need it. Not for self defense of course.

Oct 27, 2017
No, because we don't live in the middle ages where you need to skin an animal and forage for apples in an afternoon.

Plus I think if I had a knife with me at all times it would just turn into a sharp fidget device. I generally avoid any tools that people spend more time talking about than actually using.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The pointy bits on my keys have always been enough for cutting stuff. I do have a multi-tool in the car though.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't stab someone with a watch. And the people I know that carry knives with them are already a little off. And you referring to it as jewelry is very validating to my overall point.

This is hardly an exaggeration.

Last edited:

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally never had a day in my life where I was out and about and wished I had a knife/multi-tool.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Only if I know I have work to do that needs a knife. I have a Buck 110 that my grandpa gave me and it's super nice.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Not currently, but I have in the past, largely because I worked retail and needed to open boxes frequently. I kept carrying it after that job for a while, but eventually, I lost it somewhere and I just never replaced it.

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
There's a Leatherman multitool with knives in it floating around my day bag. It's less a knife and more a sharp screwdriver with pliers.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No

First time I ever heard the term "every day carry" was actually from a maker and they were neither "gun nuts" nor "knife weirdos". Their EDC didn't even contain either a gun or a knife...we'll not explicitly a knife, but rather a multitool where the knife was essentially a butter knife that was good for neither cutting or stabbing.