• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you carry some type of knife or multi-tool with you on most days, alongside wallet/phone/keys?

• Yes - explain what and why.

Votes: 139 15.5%
  • No - explain why?

Votes: 758 84.5%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Can you even call it a pen if it doesn't have picatinny rails?

But...why?

opplanet-uzi-defender-tactical-pen-nickel-uzitp4gm-main.jpg

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I used to carry a knife around with me, I used to install cable and work in film and it was just a useful thing to carry on my belt. I kept it on my belt mostly due to lazyness. It was a good useful thing to have.

now I work in an office and cut far less, so I just carry a fancy pen, lighter, and cigarillo case.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
One of my best friends has had to throw away his favorite pocket knife three times now because he always forgets he has it on him. Once at the airport, and twice at Mariners games. We do a secret Santa every year and whoever gets him buys him a new one as it's become a running joke.

I forgot once at a Seattle Thunderbirds game. Thankfully the parking lot is on site and only took me 15 minutes to run back and stick it in the car. I just remember to leave it in the car lol

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I carry one with a seat belt cutter and a window punch. Over the years I've come across 2 accidents while driving that I've been the first one at the scene and had to help them and used mine to help them out.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, spring loaded pocket knife. Not too big, and clips on to my back pocket. I've carried a similar knife almost all of my adult life, and it somehow comes in handy almost every day. Usually opening boxes, but there's an occasional rope or twine that needs to be ousted.

I guess I should say it's a tool. Never thought of it as self defense, and would never feel comfortable using a knife that way.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, anything I need to open regularly (boxes) a random house key works fine. Do kind of want some sort of multitool with a screwdriver for work though.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Yes, work at a shop and sometimes quicker just to grab a knife to cut some wires or a hose. Also, able to make makeshift funnels using old bottles. Won't believe how many times I've had people with gas cans but no fucking funnel.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Butterfly knife. So I can flip it around and look cool.

No. I have never needed a knife/multitool while randomly walking around, in my life.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally illegal to carry knives in public spaces if it's not for a specific purpose where I live, so no. Not that I would if it was legal, mind. I see no reason to.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
I remember in college one of my classmates I studied with was super into knives and showed me a few he carried in his backpack. Extremely nice, friendly guy; not something I would expect him to be into, so it weirded me out and made me uncomfortable being around him ever since. One day he invited me to walk outside of the campus into some forest like area, and I was thinking, yup, this is where he is going to kill me. He just wanted to look for tree twigs with his knives for some reason... Never bothered to stay in contact with the guy after the semester.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
When i worked in landscaping in rural Pennsylvania I used to have one on me all the time. Usually a multi tool and a knife I used to cut twine with. Now living in SoCal doing an office job? lol. no.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Only with my backpack when I go hiking (as part of my first aid kit). I don't see any reason to carry one daily though; I can't think of the last situation where carrying one would have come in handy.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. I hate having so much shit to carry as it is. Wallet, keys, phone. I can't wait until everything is combined into the phone. And make the phone as small as possible.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, Leatherman Free T4. Got it about a year ago and it's my favorite EDC knife/tool that I've ever had. Just enough to do pretty much anything I'd need to do daily while being light and compact enough for a pocket clip carry.

I used to carry a full-on Leatherman with pliers, but I found I almost never needed the pliers but used the other tools much more often.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
One of my best friends has had to throw away his favorite pocket knife three times now because he always forgets he has it on him. Once at the airport, and twice at Mariners games. We do a secret Santa every year and whoever gets him buys him a new one as it's become a running joke.
It could be worse, aka the other way. I accidentally had a 3" folding CRKT left in a carry-on bag get through TSA twice on a business trip and was pretty surprised at such an obvious thing went unnoticed. Well, "surprised".

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Not quite everyday. I wear it normally when I wear a few pair of pants. Only for opening things. Yesterday forgot it and had to key up some boxes

resource_gerberamericas_22-08445.ashx

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I almost never need a knife. The only times I need one are, like, opening packages and breaking down boxes, and in those cases I am very rarely more than 5 or 6 steps away from a knife. I keep a boxcutter in my garage for breaking down boxes, and we have scissors in the kitchen drawer for packages.

The only other times I use a knife are when I'm fishing, and... I have a knife in my fishing bag.

Fuck no. I hate having so much shit to carry as it is. Wallet, keys, phone. I can't wait until everything is combined into the phone. And make the phone as small as possible.

Yeah, this is me.

I carry 1 key ring on me which has my car fob and my work fob. I don't need any other keys.
My tiny wallet which has 3 cards, ATM, Credit, ID.
My phone

If I could ditch my wallet I would, I've thought about getting a wallet phone case, I just hate how bulky most of them are and prevents me from docking my phone and other things I usually do.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I have a decent sized folding knife for self protection and general usefulness (like opening packages or boxes) that clips either to my pants pocket or belt. I have carried something similar with me ever since I was in high school.

Never actually needed to use it for self protection thank god, but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Edit: It also has a small screwdriver and bottle opener. Which is always handy to have.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have a multitool knife that I used to keep in my pocket, but I stopped carrying it when I switched to an office job, because I found I don't even really need it anymore.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah, has been for like 15 years or so. My friends and I all bought one at one point in time after we got out of college just to "have", but it ended up being so useful, I never stopped. I order a lot of package and it's just useful for opening up things and breaking boxes down. I don't carry it when I travel though, just leave it at home.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
always have my multi-tool in my car but I don't make sure to have one or a knife on my person. I can't imagine using it in any context other to fix something or open something up.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have a multitool I keep in the glove box and try to keep a small knife on me, but have been out of habit since college. I always carry it as a tool; none of my knives would be any good in a fight, and I can't say I'd ever want to have one that might provoke one.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of? I have a Les Stroud* edition Helle temagami survival knife, with a flint striker firestarter and sharpening steel looped though the handle. I also have a Leatherman type big ass multitool knife by some well regarded company I can't quite remember. They're both in my car trunk permanently under the spare wheel in case I crash or get stuck in the wilderness.

I sure ain't keeping one in my pocket because I can barely stand having my car key in there.

I do have a fantastic huge carbon steel yard machete ostensibly for killing my neighbor's invasive bamboo - but secretly because I live out a silent Samurai fantasy in the yard in summer. It comes pretty blunt - but I have a bench grinder and I sharpened it till it's too dangerous to look at.

* Friend gave it to me for my birthday to mock me because he's Team Les and I'm Team Not-Les-But-Not-Bear-grylls.

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Opening an Amazon box?

I'm just saying some of you keep referring to daily activities and I'm asking what those actually are because in my experience friends with knives are eager to take out for the most menial thing that a key can usually do.
Using the right tool for the job is kinda important to me and I never have my keys on me when I'm at work.

Oct 25, 2017
Dec 24, 2017
I've been carrying a pocket knife with me almost everyday for 3 decades now. I grew up in a semi-rural area, and when you were in Scouts, and you had your "totin' chit" you had that privilege. I find it convenient for a lot of everyday things, even in an office. Its not tacticool or oversized by any means. Just a Spyderco I've had since...1991?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Multitool i got from my grandfather when he died so, yes. It's in by carry bag, and it came quite handy once or twice, obviously not taking it to concerts or the like.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
i don't, but I don't think it's weird to carry a small pocket knife.
Pretty crazy that it's illegal in some places according to posters here.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I have a pocket knife, but I mainly just use it in the house for opening packages. I'm trying to get my "EDC" down to just my phone and car keys. I just hate having extra stuff in my pockets when I'm out and about.