• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I've only played the n64 one eons ago and have no experience whatsoever and been wondering if I should get this for switch or not.
I'm not good at all in fighting games and find all of them really hard to learn, since you need to spend a lot of time to learn and practice, something I can't afford to.
So, is it hard to get into?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
If you just want to play it casually, nah. It's really easy to get into.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
There's two buttons and every character has the same inputs, probably the easiest fighter to get into

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its accessibility is one of the reasons why it is such a popular series.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Ultimate is a great game to start getting into.

You start with the N64 roster, and just start with playing stages that look fun. Play with low level CPU or some pals. Just keep trying out new stuff and as you unlock new stuff try to see what character suits you best.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's the easiest fighting game to get into. You don't have to memorize combos or anything like that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's the easiest fighting game to get into. You have nothing to worry about.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The entire series is specifically designed to be easy for anyone to jump into.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not at all. Pick a character and go to town, that's pretty much all there is to it. Game has a How To Play if you're really unsure. But most inputs are done with only two buttons.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai made the Super Smash Bros series for the exact reasons that you mentioned about not getting into fighting games. It is really easy to get into.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
It's the exact opposite of being hard to get into. Playing competitively is obviously another story but the skill barrier for that is also probably far lower than other fighting games (I don't know for sure though, Smash is the only fighting game I play)

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
It's a game anyone can pick up and play. It's more or less to fighting games what Mario Kart is to racing games. There are of course high levels of play that can be attained with a lot of practice but you don't need to worry about that. Just have fun.

Nov 4, 2017
It also,unlike a majority of fighting games, has pretty good single player content.

Moves are pretty simple to understand.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
To just be able to casually play and mess around with friends? Sure, you could grasp the basics in an hour or less.

To actually get good, be competitive online, etc? It's not really any different than any other fighting game in terms of the practice and game knowledge requirements.

Not at all. Just like when I first started on the N64 version, I've always just viewed it as a platformer with fighting elements.

It makes it WAY more enjoyable to me than seeing it in a competitive light.

Just play with low AI in whatever way best suits you, and build up from there as you improve.

Tons of fun to be had.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the most accessible fighting game series ever made. It can be a little tough if you're looking to play competitively but no more than other games

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's very easy. You can have fun with pure button mashing. You can even complete some game challenges with a minimal amount of practice.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, 99% of moves you attack in the direction you're moving and really the main complexity is learning what a character's B-button Special Moves are, which there are only four of and are all inputted the same way. Makes way more sense than having three different "kick" and "punch" buttons, doing strings of abstract movements, and remembering a phone book of special moves.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard but your milage with the game night varyyy

Like do you have anyone to play with? If not play solo vs low level cpu's and figure out what type of character's Movesets you like .. theres like 80+ characters and you have to unlock like 70(?) Of em which is fun..but a lot of the roster can feel pretty meh or unsatisfying to play with but you gotta stick with it

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
To offer a slight counterpoint, it always catches me off guard when I realize how much of a challenge the whole "falling off" and "recovery move" thing can be to a newcomer

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ye
To offer a slight counterpoint, it always catches me off guard when I realize how much of a challenge the whole "falling off" and "recovery move" thing can be to a newcomer
Yeah especially in party setting sometimes it can be very unfun / ruin the mood cause there's always someone who can't recover for the life of them due to inexperience with smash games in general.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No and I'd go as far to say it's the most accessible fighting game there is.
Getting pro at it is a different thing, but grabbing and starting playing you can become quite adequate especially compared to traditional fighting games.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's easy to get into provided you stay away from online in which case you're gonna have a hard time

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Smash from a casual perspective is very easy to get into. The button layout is pretty easy to understand and is universal to all of the characters, though each of them have their own unique quirks that make them wildly different from each other, and the general concept of racking up the percentage meter to knock them off the stage should also be pretty intuitive. Where the game gets complex is in how meaty the core framework is, with a lot more subtle mechanics and a higher emphasis on really understanding a character's skills and weaknesses, but if you're not looking to go competitive you shouldn't have to worry too hard.

I will say that some of the newer characters might take a bit getting used to because they're a bit more gimmicky and mechanics-oriented, with Joker's Persona meter and Hero's MP meter and Command Select being the big standouts, but even then it's nothing too severe. And thankfully Ultimate has a lot of in-game guides that spell out all of these intricacies if you're up for a bit of extra reading.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I found Smash incredibly difficult to get into, it has almost no similarities to other fighting games so any previous experiences will actually play against you. When people say that it´s easy to pick up they mean that you can mash buttons and stuff will come out, but if you want to have any minimum understanding of the game and grasp some kind of control on your actions it´s a completely different story.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easy to get into, esp if you don't mind trying to be one of the best players, it's fun either way

Hard to master though

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you play with friends (or against the CPU) you can mash buttons and have fun with the mayhem. If you play online you'll get slaughtered, though.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All you need to know to start off is that a+direction and b+direction will give you moves.

Beyond that, each character has a recovery move when you're off the stage. For most of the characters it's inputted b+up.