• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I was wondering how the PSVR experience is. I heard it got patched quite awhile back and significantly improved, especially on PS4 Pro.

Got PSVR with the Move controllers this week. Enjoying it a lot (Ace Combat 7 VR is super impressive).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It's really good. Play bow & arrow class for the most fun immersive experience.

Don't let first impressions deter you. It might have been the worst visual shock I've had this generation in the first hour. But after that it opens up with large terrain and dungeons and they can be quite beautiful. Also the controls need an hour or two to settle in.

200+ hours of RPG content in VR.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean

i wouldn't say "super immersive" but it is one of the better VR experiences out there, especially factoring in that it's a game from 2011 and not bespoke to VR in any way

guess it depends on how much you enjoy skyrim in and of itself

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's fucking amazing, I loved it even at launch on my Pro. Definitely go for it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I like Skyrim well enough, I just want to know how the VR experience itself is.

for what it's worth i played it jury rigged VR on pc through vorpX back when oculus was the hot new near-unattainable thing and it was mindblowing. but keep in mind this was half a decade ago

and this is the "official" VR product so, yeah... and a Pro yeah you really can't go wrong, only caveat is the controls that's the only thing that can really snap me out of the immersion sometimes especially if i take a week or three off and have to re-program my brain into intuition

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On PC it's miles better qualitywise. Playing without a analog stick is bad.

I got the psvr version at first, it was good. But when I got my quest it was leagues ahead on PC

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
for what it's worth i played it jury rigged VR on pc through vorpX back when oculus was the hot new near-unattainable thing and it was mindblowing. but keep in mind this was half a decade ago

and this is the "official" VR product so, yeah... and a Pro yeah you really can't go wrong, only caveat is the controls that's the only thing that can really snap me out of the immersion sometimes especially if i take a week or three off and have to re-program my brain into intuition
On PC it's miles better qualitywise. Playing without a analog stick is bad.

I got the psvr version at first, it was good. But when I got my quest it was leagues ahead on PC

Well, being that I don't have a PC VR headset, my only option is with PS4 Pro / PSVR.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it way more fun with a Dualshock than with Moves when played as mage and rogue, especially for movements, and the game use headset targeting.

Some exteriors can be ugly but it's often the fault of the weather system and an agressive pop-in for part of the vegetation.

But it's bloody fun and incredibly immersive yes and also visually impressive in many place (dungeons, interiors, mountains..).

I would also say to not force on difficulty due to the lenght of the thing and what VR is practically, but it's up on you.

Just be warned that contrary to Special Edition, you can't mod the game on PS4.
But it's still the Special Edition regarding content and QoL improvements.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Even on PC, it just made me want to play games with better VR interaction & interactivity. Like someone shoots an arrow at me, I want to play In Death, etc...

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Its not the best and its not too bad. I wouldn't say its amazing or bloody brilliant. It really helps if you've played Skyrim before. The graphics can be jarring but the moment to moment gameplay is unchanged so that becomes an after thought. If you give it a chance and fiddle about with the VR controls until you find your comfort level it is a zen like experience. You have to go for Bow and Arrow build becuase its cool as fuck to bow straight and sideways and rapidly. When you get bored I loved tossing lettuce into large bowls and if your feeling very cocky you can even toss it over your head into a bowl behind you. The level of freedom is great but as I said you gotta break through the tedious start and really find VR controls that are most comfortable for you.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I only have a peasant PS4 and I really enjoy it. Only annoying thing is how often you need to use the menus.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive in a way that made constantly think 'man, I wish this dungeon/landscape I'm "in" was part of a better game'. Very immersive but when you get down to it... it's still Skyrim, only now with terribad VR controls.

Apr 20, 2020
It's good. The physics are pretty broken - you can tell they're turned all the way down - so don't expect to get your house looking all perfect with carefully placed loot. Other than that it's pretty fun.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I find it way more fun with a Dualshock than with Moves when played as mage and rogue, especially for movements, and the game use headset targeting.

Just be warned that contrary to Special Edition, you can't mod the game on PS4.
But it's still the Special Edition regarding content and QoL improvements.
I heavily disagree, with dualshocks it basically just plays like a worse controlling regular Skyrim. Moves are the way to go.

Also the special edition also has survival mode and the VR version doesn't unfortunately.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a really great experience, it was so good I didn't even mind the graphical downgrade from not playing a fully modded PC version.

Also take the time to get used to using the Moves, it's a bit hard to get used to the movement at first but once you do it's much better than using the DS4.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It can be played with a regular controller, and if you are used to regular Skyrim controls this might the best way to play (it can be hard to unlearn that muscle memory). But playing with the moves is much more immersive, especially playing bow or magic classes, being able to aim each hand independently is a game changer. But move controls take a little to get used to, but it's worth it (also if you decide to play borderlands 2 you already have to move controls down).

Probably my most played VR game. The world is made for VR.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Glad to know I can use the DS4 controller *or* the Move controllers, not exclusively the Moves.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
It's good. The physics are pretty broken - you can tell they're turned all the way down - so don't expect to get your house looking all perfect with carefully placed loot. Other than that it's pretty fun.

ahhh, really? i've never been a huge skyrim fan but i've always imagined messing around with the goofy physics in VR would be really fun, that's a shame.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I really didnt play much because I was scared of putting in hundreds of hours in a vr game

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about on PS4, but the biggest issue with Skyrim VR on PC is that the menus are simply difficult to control. You can tell it's a traditional game that was not adapted to VR very well.

But it's still a lot of fun because, quite frankly, there's nothing else like it in VR right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It was so good I had to uninstall it from my system.

I'm not even kidding. It was so addictive to play I started having regular 4-6 hr sessions and it eas interfering with my sleep scheduke and work.

It's that good lol

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to ask questions of my own, if you don't mind OP.

What about the VR comfort options? I am currently going through Resident Evil 7 and I can play for about 30-60mins a day before I have stop because I get motion sickness.

I have already bought Skyrim VR so I will get to it eventually but I hope I am able to stay in the headset for longer durations.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Use a controller, play sword and board, thank me later. Its great if you dont find the Skyrim gameplay loop stale at this point. I think I put another 50 in on VR.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Probably my favorite VR experience on PS4. I wish we'd get a built for PSVR dungeon crawler, because creeping in the shadows and inching down corridors is so much fun in Skyrim.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I put 60 hours into the PCVR and 30 into the PS4 version. The VR implantation is rather basic honestly. There isn't really any VR specific interactions other than the bow and arrow acting like a real bow and being able to aim magic independently of each hand. The menu navigation sucks on the Move controllers too. Still even with those cons I would say it's 100% getting if you feel like playing Skyrim again. Game is a bit blurry because it uses TAA but it still manages to be quite awe inspiring at times. Get it OP

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'd say so. It's definitely best with an archer or spellcaster build as the melee combat is all waggle-based with no attention paid to scaling damage based on where you strike the enemy but that's basically a limit of the original game that they just didn't rectify for the VR port.

When it comes to visuals, it's standard fair for PSVR. On the Pro, it's blurry and has some rough distance haze but, again, that's nothing atypical for PSVR titles. It's perfectly playable and you'll eventually forget about the lack of clarity once you get settled into the gameplay loop. Performance is rock solid.

I would say the thing to keep in mind here is that it was a game that started life as a "2D" experience and the transition to VR was made without great consideration being given to bring it up to par with other VR titles in terms of environment interactivity, physics-based combat mechanics and UI. It's a cut above Borderlands 2 VR in this regard which is a pretty poor port all things considered but it's definitely not a native VR experience and it shows. It's best on PC where player mods have improved the experience and made it far more natural in VR with things like full IK, 3D audio, combat overhauls (including throwable weapons) and things of that nature but on PSVR, you're obviously limited to the base game.

Overall, it's a good experience and definitely still the best way to experience Skyrim but keep in mind that you're getting a subpar VR experience when compared to other titles built for the platform. I'd recommend it, but perhaps for around $20 at most.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I would like to ask questions of my own, if you don't mind OP.

What about the VR comfort options? I am currently going through Resident Evil 7 and I can play for about 30-60mins a day before I have stop because I get motion sickness.

I have already bought Skyrim VR so I will get to it eventually but I hope I am able to stay in the headset for longer durations.
It's got blinders and teleportation options and all that stuff

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So I picked up Skyrim VR over the weekend. After I installed it, I it was having a problem during the intro after being blind folded, tried it again and got an error.
Started over another time and all seems to be working fine. The VR aspect is pretty impressive.

I always wanted wanted to play a virtual reality RPG ever since the cancelled Power Crystal by Perceptions for the cancelled Panasonic M2

quote from Intelligent Gamer (magazine and/or online)
One exceptional title under development off site is what is being described by IG sources as the first-ever virtual reality RPG, Power Crystal. According to those who have witnessed the game in motion, the early version of the graphics engine is blazingly fast despite its use of beautiful visual effects: You can walk up to the shore line of a river or lake and see glimmering translucent water splashing the shoreline without polygon breakup, and you can then look into the water and see pebbles and sedimentary rocks in the basin. Early versions allow the player to fully walk around and explore a village.

EDGE:
B8RAZj5.jpg

aFxYHAY.jpg

Skyrim VR, even on PS4 Pro with PSVR, realizes the dream of Power Crystal -A game (even the realtime assets shown) that looked to be well beyond something like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make you feel like you're inside a living fantasy world... but it does make you feel like you're inside a Bethesda RPG which is pretty neat

Bow & Arrow is best class, but the draw distance is a bit underwhelming and can have enemies at a distance popping in and out while you're trying to line up a bow snipe. Great stuff though, lots of fun.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If anything I would say it's less immersive than normal skyrim. At one point I was getting hit by an enemy that I couldnt see. I took five steps forward and watched the enemy who was across the river shooting arrows at me load in. I quit playing shortly after that.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So I just found this video and honestly laughing like an idiot because the guy's editing is fucking on POINT the entire time, and he's hitting all my comedic timing nerves, and I don't know where to share it, but I must share it, and also hope he's not being outed as a irredeemable gamergate asshole yet.

www.youtube.com

Skyrim VR is An Absolute Nightmare - This Is Why - Remastered

I return to review the biggest VR game of last year and remaster it so it can't be removed from YouTube. Skyrim VR. I may describe Skyrim VR like it is an ab...

I'm still laughing. Please don't ruin this. I really hope others will find it funny as well, and this is the best thread I could find on a whim ;_;

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Yeah UpIsNotJump is legendary and his "X is a nightmare" series is consistently awesome. Check the rest of his stuff, I find it genuinely great. No idea if he's a turd or not, but I've never heard anything like that at least.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah UpIsNotJump is legendary and his "X is a nightmare" series is consistently awesome. Check the rest of his stuff, I find it genuinely great. No idea if he's a turd or not, but I've never heard anything like that at least.
Literally did this this whole evening :D
He referenced hbomberguy and had some anti Trump jokes, so I figure he's alright.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I like Skyrim well enough, I just want to know how the VR experience itself is.
There's a lot to be said for the scope, scale and ambiance of the world that comes off waaaay better in VR.
I play with a controller and use the headset for aiming. Turn off all comfort options and turn on smooth turning vice snap. It's the only way to play I feel.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Have they fixed the audio yet? When I played it at launch it was just plain stereo audio which just didn't fit. I traded it a week later but that was more because I don't like ES games and I only had it as it came bundled with the headset

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim VR is the only time I've been able to get into Skyrim. Tried multiple times, and always got bored shortly after the first village. Graphics are kinda meh, but the immersion more than makes up for it (for me). I knew there was something special when a wolf attack scared the hell out of me. I am not one to react to jump scares, but not seeing this wolf, and only hearing it (too late), approaching from behind made me feel things. I could not get this playing normally as a generous FoV would have revealed the wolf well before it even noticed me.

I also enjoy using the move controls for aim/casting spells, attacking with weapons, or just punching. The extra upper arm activity is fun, and engaging. Finally, the scale of everything is wonderful. From cramped cave niches, to tall dragons looking down on you it all feels cool. Flat gaming cannot recreate the feelings I get playing Skyrim in VR.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I just found this video and honestly laughing like an idiot because the guy's editing is fucking on POINT the entire time, and he's hitting all my comedic timing nerves, and I don't know where to share it, but I must share it, and also hope he's not being outed as a irredeemable gamergate asshole yet.

www.youtube.com

Skyrim VR is An Absolute Nightmare - This Is Why - Remastered

I return to review the biggest VR game of last year and remaster it so it can't be removed from YouTube. Skyrim VR. I may describe Skyrim VR like it is an ab...

I'm still laughing. Please don't ruin this. I really hope others will find it funny as well, and this is the best thread I could find on a whim ;_;
I've seen most of his more recent videos and it's one of the few channesl I subscribed to. One of my favorite videos is the X-mas-VR-games on Steam one. Haven't heard Sid in a while, I hope he will get a few lines in a new video.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
It's really great, the Patch cleaned the visuals up a lot.
But be aware that the world suddenly feels incredibly small as all the trickery they do to make the world feel large don't work in VR.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
With the Move controllers it's probably the most immersive game I've played on PSVR.

All these locations that I'd just run through when I played Skyrim the first time I now stop and just take everything in. I'm constantly looking up at the ceilings, the shafts of light, the cobwebs. I love gesturing at stuff with my sword, stopping and reading signs. Scavenging rooms and shelves, and even reading books feels better.

It's a little cliche to say it feels like a different game, but it almost does. The sword and bow and arrow combat feel completely different with the motion controls to me, the bow and arrow in particular has no right feeling as much like real archery as it does (as someone who goes to the archery range a couple times a year). Some of the effects and details they include feel like they were always intended for VR (which they obviously couldn't have been), just how much more impressive that stuff is when it's happening right there in front of you.

But without the Move controllers, with just the regular gamepad it just feels wrong and makes me motion sick after a few minutes.