• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is "Series X" the name of the console or of the family of systems?

• Name of the console ("I'll buy an Xbox Series X!")

Votes: 238 54.2%
  • Name of the family of systems ("I'll buy an Xbox [Whatever], part of the Xbox Series X family!")

Votes: 201 45.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Reading here and there, it seems some people (including me) think "Series X" isn't the name of the console, but rather of the family of systems. You know, like "One", "One S" and "One X" are all part of Xbox One family... or of the "Series One". However, MS talks about the "Series X" as if it's the name of a singular product - like we'll have a "PlayStation 5", we'll have an "Xbox Series X".

What do you think, Era?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think Series X is the console itself with a Series S or Series E on the way later, which will be technically part of the same generation/family of consoles.

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
its absolutely gonna be a family of systems. maybe not right away, but the discless will be a series ____ , the one x equivalent will be a series ____ and so on

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Based on nothing, I am thinking it is the name of the family of systems. I don't think X is the identifier though, like I have seen others speculate. I could see it going that way, but I think the consoles are just gonna have another word after the X.

Example:
Xbox Series X: Anaconda
Xbox Series X: Scarlett

That way they can just be like "available on Series X," and you know it will work on any of those things.

Edit: yes, I think they purposefully left out what the actual name of the box we saw was until they could actually explain the whole thing.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
This...this doesn't answer the question.

giphy.gif

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
It's pretty clear than since we know there to be another version (Lockhart) that it will use the Xbox Series name as well, likely "Series S". Also, It will make is simple for Microsoft to name any future versions such as Xbox Series X Pro or Xbox Series XS Maximum Powah!

senj

Nov 6, 2017
It's a model in the Xbox series of consoles, just like the Apple Watch Series 5 is a model in the Apple Watch series of watches. Seems straightforward.

If "Series X" was the name of a whole series, they wouldn't have shown you one specific thing and said "here's the Series X"

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I like to believe it's only the family of systems. Pretty silly to call an individual console "Series".

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yo are people voting confused or am I?

'Series X' is one console. Not a family.

The title "Series" would be a family of systems. For example, lockhart could be Series Y.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox is the name of the console, series is the model or type

So if someone says I want to buy an Xbox, all they need to know what series they want. It's like a car or a phone

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reading here and there, it seems some people (including me) think "Series X" isn't the name of the console, but rather of the family of systems. You know, like "One", "One S" and "One X" are all part of Xbox One family... or of the "Series One". However, MS talks about the "Series X" as if it's the name of a singular product - like we'll have a "PlayStation 5", we'll have an "Xbox Series X".

What do you think, Era?

"Series One" is a range of guitar amps from Blackstar Amplification. The Blackstar Series One 200 is a godly piece of equipment.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think series X is scarlett, and anaconda and lockhart are gonna be other names. (series X PRO or whatever.)

You guys have jumped on series S but I don't see the logic.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's the family. The Xbox One X is gonna be the lowest model.The Xbox Whatever X the discless one, the Xbox ___ X the normal one, the Xbox mega Ultra Deluxe X the luxury one and so on.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
It's just Xbox.

That's why they said The New Xbox. Series X is the most powerful with the eventual Series S being less powerful.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I like to believe it's only the family of systems. Pretty silly to call an individual console "Series".
Apple Watch Series 5, Mazda Series 3, IBM Series III, IBM Series/1

These all denote a specific individual model.

Rolex 2019 Series, BMW 8 Series, IBM 7070 Series

These all denote a family of models.

The convention is almost always that "Brand _ Series" denotes the name of a family of products and "Brand Series _" indicates a specific thing in some larger brand's series of products

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Based on nothing, I am thinking it is the name of the family of systems. I don't think X is the identifier though, like I have seen others speculate. I could see it going that way, but I think the consoles are just gonna have another word after the X.

Example:

They are not going to use names like Anaconda or Scarlett - or any other name of that type - for the final product. They will use numbers or adjectives or something similar.

If there are more Xbox consoles with "Xbox Series" in the name, then the "X" part will change 100%.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom

Example:

That way they can just be like "available on Series X," and you know it will work on any of those things.

Edit: yes, I think they purposefully left out what the actual name of the box we saw was until they could actually explain the whole thing.
This is what I think they are going for. It just seems to make more sense than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S or whatever.

Nov 17, 2019
Lol I cannot believe the poll is this close. Era is absolutely mystified by this console. I thought it was obvious that the model of the console is "Xbox Series X". Next would be "Xbox Series X2" and so on and so forth.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Apple calls their individual watch model "Series 5". The previous was "Series 4". Etc. So Xbox Series X will be this console, and Xbox Series Whatever will be another.

This is what I think they are going for. It just seems to make more sense than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S or whatever.

No way.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I see the name of that specific console as Xbox Series X. That's how Phil Spencer introduced it and that's how it's being marketed (thus far).

This could change, but as of right now I disagree with the comments saying that the name is just "Xbox".

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They are not going to use names like Anaconda or Scarlett - or any other name of that type - for the final product. They will use numbers or adjectives or something similar.

If there are more Xbox consoles with "Xbox Series" in the name, then the "X" part will change 100%.

Did not mean to imply that those would be the names. We obviously don't know the names of things yet to be announced, was simply trying to describe the naming convention.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's most likely going to be Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Though I could see it maybe being something like Xbox Series X and Xbox All Digital Edition, with the Series part being used to denote their higher end products (like the new Elite Controller is being called the Series 2).

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Surprised that family's winning in the poll, it's definitely the name of the specific system.

They showed a box, and they called that lone box Series X. The taglines for Series X are "FASTEST. MOST POWERFUL." which would be strange if it was a family of systems that included some that were less powerful.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
This isnt something new in tech...come one now people.
dims

Spoilers Apple Watch is now on Series 5 and no its not really confusing.

Xbox Series X (The fast and powerful expensive one/Black)
Xbox Series S (The fast and affordable one/ White)

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills looking at the poll's results

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Did not mean to imply that those would be the names. We obviously don't know the names of things yet to be announced, was simply trying to describe the naming convention.

I know, I meant they will not use any bombastic name other than "Xbox". They will add a letter, a number, an adjective or some other word like "series", "class" or "model" - but that's it. Xbox is the brand, like iPhone. Apple may call their phone "Pro" or "R" or "Max", but they would never call it any name that diminishes the iPhone brand. Like iPhone Lightningstrike or iPhone Panther or whatever. So, we'll never have Xbox Raptor or Xbox Artemis, but we may get Xbox Infinite some day, or Xbox 1000 or whatever. This generation it's "series". So - Xbox Series X for the first one, and Series X2 or S or something for another one, etc.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised the poll is so even. It seems pretty obvious that "Xbox Series X" is the name of that specific SKU (formerly known as Anaconda). The Lockhart model, if it does indeed exist, will be called something like Xbox Series S.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
So is everyone thinking we'll get Xbox: Series X (2023 model) ?

Or Xbox: Series X - 2nd Gen?

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
It's really simple and obvious. Last generation was Xbox One. We had the original Xbox One, the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X.

This generation is Xbox Series. The first one announced is Series X. We'll most likely get the S, too. Or maybe the X2 or X Pro or something like that.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
This isnt something new in tech...come one now people.
dims

Spoilers Apple Watch is now on Series 5 and no its not really confusing.

Xbox Series X (The fast and powerful expensive one/Black)
Xbox Series S (The fast and affordable one/ White)

Its a little confusing because Apple Watch uses numbers. Will there be an Series X2 or Gen 2 or Year 20XX?

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure when it was announced tbh; thought it was some new service MS was announcing. It's a terrible name and I could see your average person being confused.