• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
I beat the game without using Firecrackers or Ichimonji at all on my first blind playthrough ... didn't know how OP both were.

Combat was good, but I wouldn't say it was the best combat I've ever played in a game. Its too possible to block spam your way through the game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like I'm going crazy, how are the prosthetics and combat arts useless? There's a ton of combinations and combos to be made with them.

The prosthetic are great against specific enemies that are weak to them but very few are useful outside of those specific enemies, whether it weak damage high emblem cost or high risk in using.

Same with combat arts but because you can only equip one at a time so people tend to use only the most worthwhile (which tends to be Ichimonji). And in situations where you want to use them, like for example boss fights, the window of opportunity is so small that you're better and safer off just doing normal attacks.

When you dig into it, Sekiro starts to feel quite restrictive.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Ah. It seems someone never used Floating Passage. It's like Sabimuro but without the cost of spirit emblems. I've used it on every boss since I got it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wish the undead samurai had more training options, he was great at teaching me to parry all the different attacks, but i wish he had options showing me useful ways to use all the prosethetics and combat arts, and it shouldn't cost you any emblems to use prosethics on him in the training area.

But lets be real, we're talking about a game with a 90 metacritic, and it's overwhelmingly due to its excellent combat system.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Ah. It seems someone never used Floating Passage. It's like Sabimuro but without the cost of spirit emblems. I've used it on every boss since I got it.

I used it, and I actually did like it for the time because I thought it's great for putting enemies on the defensive.

But then I found out that the first two swings actually does less damage than one of your normal attacks lol.

Oct 27, 2017
The craziest thing I've read in this thread so far is Sekiro's combat being authentic. Yeah, right. If blocking a giant monkey's fist or a Odachi strike with your toothpick-katana is authentic to you..ok. The cling-clang mechanic might be remotely authentic for katana duels, but you can't really parry spear strikes in real life with a katana, or let's put it this way: a katana vs. spear fight would look drastically different from what we're seeing in Sekiro, Mikiri-counter aside.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro's combat by default is better than Soulsborne. It has more movement variety in forms of jump and grappling, more counters in variety such as Mikiri counter for thrusts, jumping on enemy's head for sweeps, dodge for grabs/overheads/aerial. Aggressive attack and deflects(parrying) to break each other's posture feels more intimate and satisfying in 1v1.

But people aren't seeing it or saying it's not better than Soulsborne/Nioh... is because Sekiro only uses one weapon type as opposed to the variety of weapons types people are used to in Soulsborne games. It makes the players feel restrictive to be playing 1 weapon type as they are so used to be switching to different weapon types to makeup any shortcomings against a certain enemy. Although Sekiro do have other weapon types such as spears/axe/wakizashi in forms of prosthetics, it consumes spirit emblems(ammo) which makes players feel very reluctant in using because you can only carry 20 and some prosthetics easily consume 2 to 4 per use.

Overall I think if Sekiro had offered more weapon types in combat or at least increased the amount of spirit emblems you can carry (20 -> 40) it would make alot of people's experience of the game's combat more enjoyable or even say it's better than Soulsborne/Nioh.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The prosthetic are great against specific enemies that are weak to them but very few are useful outside of those specific enemies, whether it weak damage high emblem cost or high risk in using.

Same with combat arts but because you can only equip one at a time so people tend to use only the most worthwhile (which tends to be Ichimonji). And in situations where you want to use them, like for example boss fights, the window of opportunity is so small that you're better and safer off just doing normal attacks.

When you dig into it, Sekiro starts to feel quite restrictive.
If you suck, maybe. It's all about learning where to use everything, hell I've been mostly using the monk combat art which is considered terrible by most because they don't know how to use it.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
No bud. I'm not addressing what you said cause you come into this argument with your own different argument that I frankly don't care for because it moves the goal post AGAIN from the actual original disagreement.

Like here you say that I'm acting like it's universally worthwhile? Just stop. I'm acting like the dude initial statement was horseshit because it was, nothing else. I provided enough examples of why and I have no interest in this completely different argument you suddenly bring in making it about me thinking something that I don't and never said I did.

If you want to discuss how universally useful the umbrella is or what not you need to find someone else. My only point was that it is pure ignorance to say no other tools are useful just because the guy didn't use them or know when and how to use them.
If you need me to clarify on the actual original point fine I'm up for that but I don't care to argue all this other added bullshit that has nothing to do with why I started the argument.

TLDR: Based on the original disagreement I reject the notion that the dude was half right when the examples clearly prove otherwise. I have no interest in arguments that suddenly stack on top of that when I already played that game when the goalpost of what is useful was moved 3 times already.
I agree with you that the umbrella is useful.

That's not what you said at first through. You're banging on the original quote drum, so I'll go ahead and do that too:
First part is just false. The umbrella for example is very MUCH worth bothering with. And I still would agree that it's a major step down in variety to their other titles too(although in the acceptance that it's also intentionally not that type of game).
But it would be nice if people didn't make these absolutely false statements that boil down to "I didn't use it so it must be worthless". When it is actually "I just didn't care to experiment to find that 1 tool/art that breaks the entire fight".

Umbrella is basically god mode on most apparition enemies/bosses and insanely useful in the few fire fights as well.
This is my disagreement with you, the blanket, unequivocal "this is worth bothering with." You said something I think is kind of ridiculous and I'm calling you out on it.

It's very much not worth bothering with if you aren't having significant trouble with those fights. I didn't, that guy didn't, countless other players didn't. Setting up the umbrella to trivialize the encounters takes a significant amount of resources that could have gone towards any number of other things, and it's not at all worth bothering with unless you personally think it's necessary. Something can be useful but still not worthwhile for a person. Every tool is useful in some situation, and you picked one that has an extremely narrow set of uses and which requires much more investment than usual to actually make useful. It's incredibly easy to argue that it isn't actually worth bothering with.

GameShrink's initial comment was wrong because he implied the tools he wasn't using weren't worth using for anyone, and I agree with your frustration at that sentiment. You're wrong because you're acting like this tool that was useful for you would be worth using for everyone. It's pretty irrelevant to a lot of people, and pushing it as the correct, optimal answer to these enemies, intentionally or not, isn't really any better than the people that claim Ichimonji and Firecrackers are the only things that matter. That's the best approach to the game for a lot of people, but others get a lot of use from tools. Again, it's indicative of the game catering to multiple playstyles despite my initial impressions, and I think that's cool.

And FYI, it was abundantly, unmistakably clear from the beginning that GameShrink was speaking from the perspective of someone who focused on deflects.
Beat it 4 times (NG through NG+4), and it's good if you focus entirely on the deflecting. Nothing else, minus firecrackers/fistful of ash, ichimonji and shuriken are worth bothering with, and even those are largely situational.
He was never moving goal posts regarding that, and tools being less useful with that approach is unavoidable. You just don't have openings for them when you're constantly in melee range attacking/deflecting, and it also doesn't matter because bosses melt very quickly under pressure.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best I've ever played personally, but I haven't played everything.

I'm just starting to unlock higher tier prosthetic tools and they are a blast. So many fun combos.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So maybe next time you want to cherry pick my quotes without taking into context the OP of the thread do us both the favor and read carefully before wasting my time.

No, I think what I want to do is put you on ignore so that I don't have to suffer any more of your disingenuity, bad faith arguing and gaslighting attempts. Yeah, that works.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The biggest problem with Nioh is a story that is partially dependent on the person having some understanding of Japanese history, the occasionally wonky level design and the loot/inventory system that is full of clutter and kind of obtuse really. All of this just gets in the way of the combat.
The loot system in Nioh was a real drag for me. You have to spend way too much time in menus and managing your inventory. I also found the weapon stats and upgrade mechanics to be needlessly complicated.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nah. I didn't play Nioh since launch and never played the DLC, so I had to look it up, and you're just straight up wrong, sorry.

Sekiro:

Human peasant enemies with:
Sword
Spear
Axe
Torch
Bow
Shield
The alarm banging guys
Strawhatted Sword (completely distinct from the peasant Sword variant in moveset)
Guns

Advanced enemies:
Ashina Elite
Dualbladed Staff Guy (The acrobatic ones at Mount Kongo)
Giant with Hammer
Giant with Bell (again, completely different moveset)
Crow Ninjas on rooftops
Cannon wielding guy
High range sniper
Small Centipede
Rat Assasin with a mobile moveset and a grab
Rat Assasin with wooden/metal hats, more stationary. (granted, the Rat assasins share some moves like the poison)
Dungeon Patient (Zombie-likes)
Fountainhead Noble with flute
Fountainhead Noble without flute
Funtainhead Archer
Fountainhead Swordsman
Fountainhead ball playing guy
Fountainhead elite with lightning
Dualwielding Tengu from the ministry
Flamethrower guy from the ministry
Purple Ninja from the ministry

Monk barehanded
Monk with staff
Ranged Monk with homing bombs
Sitting Monk with Gentipede
Sitting Monk spawning bugs

In wildlife we have:
Dog
Lightning wielding Dog in Fountainhead
Rooster
Carp
Lizard
Monkey
Monkey with Sword
Dual Wielding Monkey

And I didn't even get into bosses/minibosses.

Again, these all have wildly distinct movesets. Most of them (outside the wildlife stuff) have between 4 or 5 distinct moves. Some even more. If you just see peasants/monks/samurai and think bad enemy variety, that's on you.

Nioh:

https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies

I'm absolutely not wrong. 39 different enemies with completely different move sets and 35 bosses, which many of which later get tossed into the levels as regular mob types. You are also completely ignoring Phantoms, which are basically unlimited variations of playstyles and have different move sets.

Seikro has less enemy types and far less bosses in total. Nioh is longer and reveals a lot of the enemies in that game way too soon, so you end up seeing them again and again, but OVERALL there are more distinct enemies, with more movesets in Nioh than in Seikro and even your list says as much.

Please stop it fam with that unique moveset crap. You clearly haven't played Nioh to a degree where you can draw a fair comparisson to Sekiro. Nioh has 8 basic melee weapon types with additional variations like Hammer/Axe or Staff/Spear and each of the advanced human enemy types in Nioh uses one of these weapons plus a distinct set of special skills / combat arts/ magic/ Ninjitsu/ long rage weapon/ tools etc. Nioh has one DLC mission with 12 Sekiro mini-boss equivalents and each of them is unique. People gave this game shit, but Botw got 10/10s with 1/3 of the enemy types in Nioh. Nioh has more main-bosses than most games have enemy types. And don't underestimate those player avatars you can summon in Nioh, because the load-outs and loot provide you with basically unlimited variations of sparring partners if you fully dig the combat. The movesets of those phantoms shit on 10 of Sekiro's enemies combined, yes you've heard right, because you've missed the small detail in Nioh: the phantoms simulate a human player and they share the same combat capabilities as you do (stances, ki-pulse, unique combat arts, etc) but people, as always, just go for the looks. They want more Smurfs and other shit in their game.

Truth. It's laughable that people are trying to use the "lack of enemy" shit about Nioh while pretending that this Sekiro doesn't suffer from the same fate, only worse.

Last edited:

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
The loot system in Nioh was a real drag for me. You have to spend way too much time in menus and managing your inventory. I also found the weapon stats and upgrade mechanics to be needlessly complicated.
Nioh's loot was basically entirely irrelevant prior to the postgame. You just equip whatever had the biggest numbers every few missions.

I liked the game, but It'll be interesting to see which of its extraneous features get cut/overhauled for Nioh 2.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The main complaints I have on Sekiro's combat is that From still doesn't know how to do the camera right in small spaces and the grab hitboxes are just ridiculous.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's pretty great for what it is.

The only spot the game really falls flat is the stealth to me. It's just too one-note and I was
kind of expecting something more similar to Tenchu when it comes to stealth mechanics.

"Combat arts are pretty much useless"

Edited:

Are we even playing the same game? Switching up combat arts *and prosthetics* depending on the type of enemy you're fighting is absolutely essential. Especially once you start unlocking upgrades. Going into a fight with an apparition? Bring my lilac umbrella. A beast? Firecrackers! A shield? My trusty axe.

In fact, I'd argue it's very close to Horizon in its practical application. Matching strength on weakness makes a huge difference.

I mean...they said the combat arts are pretty much useless and you listed a bunch of prosthetics to disprove their point...

I am still not that far into the game because of traveling to PAX, but so far I have not seen many real applications of the combat arts outside of cheese.
Of course, I am hoping that changes as I fight more enemy types.

Last edited:

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Don't really like the game since there's nothing fun about it. I just reached some centipede boss and all I literally did was L1.

It's my less favorite from game in all aspects, can't see myself do a second run.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
It's simple and engaging, it's like shadow of the colossus dark souls edition. You have a simple sword swing.
And as far as being compared to nioh which to does feel good, I'll grab the dlc to check that out but you can do a lot of flashie shit in the game but that doesn't do much too make it more approachable or everything you can do even somewhat necessary.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Please stop it fam with that unique moveset crap. You clearly haven't played Nioh to a degree where you can draw a fair comparisson to Sekiro. Nioh has 8 basic melee weapon types with additional variations like Hammer/Axe or Staff/Spear and each of the advanced human enemy types in Nioh uses one of these weapons plus a distinct set of special skills / combat arts/ magic/ Ninjitsu/ long rage weapon/ tools etc. Nioh has one DLC mission with 12 Sekiro mini-boss equivalents and each of them is unique. People gave this game shit, but Botw got 10/10s with 1/3 of the enemy types in Nioh. Nioh has more main-bosses than most games have enemy types. And don't underestimate those player avatars you can summon in Nioh, because the load-outs and loot provide you with basically unlimited variations of sparring partners if you fully dig the combat. The movesets of those phantoms shit on 10 of Sekiro's enemies combined, yes you've heard right, because you've missed the small detail in Nioh: the phantoms simulate a human player and they share the same combat capabilities as you do (stances, ki-pulse, unique combat arts, etc) but people, as always, just go for the looks. They want more Smurfs and other shit in their game.

People really unfairly blast Nioh for enemy variety when it's really not that bad, and certainly not worse than most games in it's genre. It's basically a meme at this point. There is also a perception problem because of how the game puts most enemies in most levels instead of forcing specific types to areas like From games do.

Sekiro is good at being Sekiro. I feel it's going for a very specific experience and drama with weapon clashes. I don't think there's anything out there quite like it. More than anything it feels like Soul Calibur as a free-roaming action combat game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because I did find a lot of the extra options useless, but the basic combat is so addicting that I don't care. Im really really enjoying it despite the fact that I'm not technically playing this game to its full potential. It's just so much fun to clash swords, get death blows, dodge, etc.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am almost finished with the game and have barely touched the prosthetic upgrades. Also, whirlwind and Ichimonji are pretty much the only two combat arts I've used. That said, it could have been better.

Bring on Bloodborne 2.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, but I usually only play games on normal, or whatever the first presented difficulty is, I don't have any desire to go for higher difficulties than what is presented as "normal".

Action games of this sort (DMC, God Hand, Bayonetta) are a little unique in that they have difficulty curves that expect the player to go through each successive difficulty from normal on. Your first playthrough is basically like a warmup or a kind of tutorial. This is especially true in all of the games in that subgenre released over the last decade, which are generally easier than their predecessors, and doubly true for DMC5 which has an excessively trivial standard difficulty and which continues introducing new mechanics and moves into your second playthrough.

I agree that DMC5 really does suffer from having Devil Hunter be as limp as it is and that locking the "real game" behind NG+ can be a little hard to stomach, but it probably is the case that the mass market Capcom was aiming for might find DMC5 unpalatable if the existing hard mode were the default difficulty, so oh well.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy it, and I think the oomph behind some of the animations is incredible (love that Mikiri Counter), but it is literally just bang out the one combo, get your parries, and know when to jump over sweeps or Mikiri lunges. Once you see the minibosses start repeating later in the game they pose no threat, because if you beat them once you can beat them again; it's the same fight every time.

For a sequel I hope they open things up more, like making dodging an enemy's attacks a more viable option. You can do it in Sekiro, but it's objectively a worse option because you won't do any posture damage and the dodge's i-frames are... bad. Same thing with jumping; you jump when you need to, and that's that. It doesn't lead to any new combat options, it's just the thing you do when the situation arises.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
You can beat pretty much every boss in sekiro by just attacking like a maniac and deflecting every once in a while. Seriously if you're stuck on a boss you're probably over thinking it and what I just mentioned is what you should be doing.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
You can cheese the shit out of DMC 5 without using lots of abilities, doesn't mean you should do that......I'm having a good time just trying out abilities and looking cool.

Jun 26, 2018
Action games of this sort (DMC, God Hand, Bayonetta) are a little unique in that they have difficulty curves that expect the player to go through each successive difficulty from normal on. Your first playthrough is basically like a warmup or a kind of tutorial. This is especially true in all of the games in that subgenre released over the last decade, which are generally easier than their predecessors, and doubly true for DMC5 which has an excessively trivial standard difficulty and which continues introducing new mechanics and moves into your second playthrough.

I agree that DMC5 really does suffer from having Devil Hunter be as limp as it is and that locking the "real game" behind NG+ can be a little hard to stomach, but it probably is the case that the mass market Capcom was aiming for might find DMC5 unpalatable if the existing hard mode were the default difficulty, so oh well.

I totally understand that difficulties in those types of action games are the "warmup", but I have no real desire to play them after beating them on the lower difficulty.

Something that I don't think anyone is considering in regards to difficulties and games is that most people don't even complete their first playthrough of a video game, regardless of difficulty. I still haven't finished DMC5, because Sekiro came out for instance.

So having multiple difficulties is great and all, but does it even matter if only 5% actually bothers with it?

I think more game developers shouldn't shy away from making the higher difficulties the "standard" and then offering accessibility options beyond difficulty (ie. Game speed control, full button remapping, health control / god mode) to those who just want to either see the game or need a bit of extra help to complete it.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've heard quite a lot of reliable sources say that they've just artificially inflated the difficulty in some really cheesy ways.
Am I the only one that hates those homing attacks (when the enemies even change direction mid-air only to get you) that make the game harder?
Urgh, yeah, I think I'll just skip this one all together.

I do have Nioh to play, and I'll just watch ENB play through this and save myself the frustration.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
People really unfairly blast Nioh for enemy variety when it's really not that bad, and certainly not worse than most games in it's genre. It's basically a meme at this point. There is also a perception problem because of how the game puts most enemies in most levels instead of forcing specific types to areas like From games do.

I completely agree. And each DLC introduced new enemy types.

It's really not as bad as people make it seem and certainly not worse than Sekiro.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It's good, but not Nioh good.

As someone who just beat Nioh today and is starting the next difficulty while cleaning up NG I agree. Sekiro is good but Nioh just feels so much deeper. Not having different builds like in another From games or Multiplayer really really hurts it. I really do like how From Software took a chance though and didn't give us DS4. I would have rather had BB2 though :/

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Mistakes are punished so hard that you cant really experiment with arts and prostetics. One missed deflect at a boss means: you lose life, you lose posture, he/she gains posture, you lose a gourd (might lose more here).
Never worth it to play anything else than 100% safe.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mistakes are punished so hard that you cant really experiment with arts and prostetics. One missed deflect at a boss means: you lose life, you lose posture, he/she gains posture, you lose a gourd (might lose more here).
Never worth it to play anything else than 100% safe.

This is how I felt. You have to basically have a perfect run with each boss in order to beat them.

I finished the game a few days ago, traded it in. It was a decent experience but I have no reason to go back and play it again. It's just not as good as From's other titles.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Ya me either. I usually hear ni oh complaints in here.

Nioh suffers in certain areas from its low budget but it has things that it does very well and some ideas that people recognise the potential of.

And for the not so great things, those will certainly be fixed in the sequel since 1/ Team Ninja are great at taking feedback 2/ they said that they have more trust in themselves now and will go gloves off for it.

That I think is a reason for the positivity.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I use the thrust spear for almost every boss fight. It is great for closing gaps and reduce distance. Against posture bosses, the follow up attack with the sword is really great to keep the boss pressured. This tool is a staple in my playthrough since I found it.
Sword arts are also used frequently by me especially ichimonji.
Besides that I think the combat is really great.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Purely combat, Nioh is still a lot better. The combat flows so well, is so diverse and deep. Just talking about it makes me want to play it.
Sekiros combat is fine and has its strong points. But man, Nioh nailed the combat.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never want to use this phrase, and I genuinely can't get my head around people saying prosthetics and arts are useless. I genuinely think people are attempting to "play this game wrong", those who are struggling, anyway.

I grew up watching Ninja scroll probably once every other week or more and other samurai movies. Zatoichi, Shogun Assassin, Lady Stormblood etc. Deffo with ninja scroll a shinobi uses everything at their disposal, including the environment. This is life or death, it's not always "i'm so good i'll just stand in front of you and go toe to toe"

I use everything in Sekiro, when I hear people say they are struggling with mobs and can't fight more than one enemy I think "what are you doing??"

I dash in, assassinate one, Dash sprint away, fly up onto a rooftop if available so they split up fly back in like a wraith, take out another one throw a shuriken, spit fire. all sorts.

The games movement and combat is impeccable, I think i need to watch streams of these poeple who are struggling because I haven't had a fight i haven't enjoyed - more adored.

Listening to Giantbomb and Jason saying he was screaming all the way through lady butterfly and not enjoying it, put this game down man...it aint for you. Every single fight has been amazing, and nothing has made me feel like a true bad ass shinobi absolutely decimating everyday enemies. then going toe to toe with a master.

One of my Favorite games ever.