• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
VigilantKindlyAfricanaugurbuzzard-size_restricted.gif

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Nothing funny about the state of healthcare workers right now tbh
This take is crazier than Hooch... patrickstewartfacepalm.jpg
In answer to the OP's question, and to reaffirm everyone else, yes absolutely. It's some of the best television ever made in my humble opinion. The subject matter is handled tastefully and respectfully, the comedy is nuanced with a lot of episodes really hitting home. I've definitely shed both tears of laughter and sadness throughout the series.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
How does this rank compared to E.R.?
while it's primarily a comedy, it's very accurate with its medical procedures and terminology

also, being mostly a comedy, the emotional moments hit a lot harder imo

Scrubs has a lot of "fantasy" and "fantastical" moments because there's lots of flashes into the main characters imagination

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Scrubs is factually the most medical accurate show you cna watch, which is funny given the show is a comedy.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
My girlfriend is an ICU nurse for 10+ years and says that Scrubs is the best medical show she's seen. Shit is dark so they make each other laugh to stay sane.

ER second, everything else is pretty much "lol, sure" to her and her friends.

Watching any current medical show with her is impossible outside of maybe New Amsterdam because it deals more with the business side of a hospital.

Some people don't seem to understand how important humor is when shit is falling apart worldwide. It's a coping mechanism that undoubtedly has biological roots, but humor is also a legitimate way of reckoning with our grim reality in a productive manner, and even plays an essential part in exposing the roots of society's ills.

Also, I really need to get back to watching Scrubs the whole way through for the first time. (I only ever saw episodes out of order in syndication.) I was stunned at how amazing the series was right from the start. Most comedies usually take at least half a season before they find their footing, but this show was firing on all cylinders from the very first episode.

Last edited:

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Watch the First Episode, If you don't like it, stop. Every time I rewatch the Show im amazed how good the first episode captures what the show is essentialy about.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Seasons 1-5 are fantastic. I stopped after 6 because I could feel the quality dipping. Might be a good time to watch seasons 7-8 now there's fuck all to do

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I often feel like giving this show a rewatch since it was so good when it originally aired, but I'm afraid that I won't like it nearly as much because of how annoying Zach Braff has gotten since the show ended.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, lots of glowing praise. Starting it up.

I don't know if people read the other part of my OP, but I am also watching Star Trek TNG for the first time... using a guide because I hear the first couple of seasons are garbage and only have a couple good episodes. Is this generally the consensus?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way they tried to fix it was pretty good... "this has been bothering me for years!"

There was two ways: season 2 had a completely different intro with a fixed x-ray, and then they went back to the original. Then when "Kim" was introduced she said what you quoted as a gag.

However, could also be Situs Inversus where the organs are switched in place lmao

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was two ways: season 2 had a completely different intro with a fixed x-ray, and then they went back to the original. Then when "Kim" was introduced she said what you quoted as a gag.
Ah, yeah, you are right! It's been ages since I last re-watched the show.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
It always amused me when my friends would ask what's the most realistic medical show out there and I'd go "Scrubs!", no contest.
They couldn't understand how a show that's at times close to slapstick comedy did a better depiction of life inside a hospital than ER and others of its kind

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
So I never watched Scrubs on streaming services, how bad is the change in licensed music?
Did they replace all of them? What about the guest artist appearances like Colin Hay or Guided by Voices?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
So I never watched Scrubs on streaming services, how bad is the change in licensed music?
Did they replace all of them? What about the guest artist appearances like Colin Hay or Guided by Voices?
there's a lot of ones they kept because it would be really hard for them to have a different song in the scene

i imagine the show creators fought for some specific songs as well, like Hallelujah

there's a lot of songs omitted that were just sort of mood setters, which is a bummer but doesn't change a whole lot of the scenes

i prefer the original tracked shows, but i know it can be a bit of a pain to track down dvd collections when Hulu has it streaming right there

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
It always amused me when my friends would ask what's the most realistic medical show out there and I'd go "Scrubs!", no contest.
They couldn't understand how a show that's at times close to slapstick comedy did a better depiction of life inside a hospital than ER and others of its kind
This is awesome. Makes me have a lot of respect for it.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My group of friends and I love the show. I refuse to self-quarantine until the Scrubs cast film an infomercial telling me to stay inside.

/s

Glad I got physical copies of all the seasons and have those on hard drives. Always a comfort show.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Scrubs is the perfect balance between comedy and drama. A truly great show with perfect casting.

It also had one of the best finales ever. A true crime on ABC's part to force them to continue on after that.

All these years later, I still catch myself quoting the show to my wife.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
there's a lot of ones they kept because it would be really hard for them to have a different song in the scene

i imagine the show creators fought for some specific songs as well, like Hallelujah

there's a lot of songs omitted that were just sort of mood setters, which is a bummer but doesn't change a whole lot of the scenes

i prefer the original tracked shows, but i know it can be a bit of a pain to track down dvd collections when Hulu has it streaming right there
That's a shame, you're right that the music really helped set the tone for a lot of the scenes. Particularly the more dramatic ones.

Oct 26, 2017
It's fantastic, but Cox might be one of my least favorite characters in a comedy. He isn't always terrible, but his shtick is recycled and reused so many times throughout the series.

Especially considering his acting at the end of My Lunch.

I know we all go back to that other episode for Sad Dr. Cox moments (and for good reason), but man seeing those last few minutes of My Lunch is a sucker punch...

Easily my favorite Cox moment. A few other favorites in this thread feel a little too....put together? Constructed? I dunno.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
First five seasons are insanely good. Maybe my favourite pieces of television with Bojack Horseman and Breaking Bad. Last three seasons are worth watching as well and the finale is basically perfect.

Season 9 is kind of a spin-off, watch it only if you fall in love with the series.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
1-8 is great, and the season finale of 8 is one of my favorite "series" finales ever. Season 9 gets too much hate, imo. Yeah, it doesn't compare to 1-8, but it's also essentially a spinoff. Bill Lawrence wanted it to be spinoff (Scrubs Med), ABC said no, it's an entirely new writing staff, shot in an entirely new location, with an entirely new premise. It's fine, but forgettable.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah just jump off before the interns series starts. Also I had to spread episodes out a bit as "saccharine life lesson with maudlin pop music" formula got a bit tiresome after a few seasons.
Yeah the show is great if not extremely formulaic. Definitely better to space it out then too binge non-stop.

Also I'm no Superman is a legit good song which helps.

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite Cox moment. A few other favorites in this thread feel a little too....put together? Constructed? I dunno.

I kinda agree, but I don't know if I'd say that the other scenes are too "put together" or "constructed" per se. For me, the end of My Lunch stands out more because it stays in the zone a bit longer and ebbs and flows a bit.

You get that brief moment between Cox and JD, where it looks like JD is going to be able to help pull Cox through this and calling back to their talk earlier in the episode where the roles were reversed... Only for life to cut in and force Cox right back into the proverbial warzone before JD can finish helping him out and the death that follows hits Cox the hardest.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scrubs is the perfect balance between comedy and drama. A truly great show with perfect casting.

It also had one of the best finales ever. A true crime on ABC's part to force them to continue on after that.

All these years later, I still catch myself quoting the show to my wife.

ABC didn't force them. A lot of the Scrubs team were going to be out of a job after Scrubs and I believe this was during the financial crisis back then so Bill Lawrence pushed for a spin off show called Scrubs Med School, but ABC wanted to keep it branded Scrubs.