• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Making a troll thread
So getting kids to believe in some kind of magical figure who knows exactly what you're doing, and knows if you're bad or good. Then rewards bad behaviour while punishing undesirable behaviour sometimes to the extent of the Krampus.

Are we just all indoctrinating kids into believing in god? Or is Santa just harmless and totally doesn't screw kids up when they find out they've been living a lie?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna raise a little scientist, so no reason to make them believe in this stuff.

Jun 14, 2019
On the other hand, it could also be a clear path out of religion once the kid figures out mom & dad were lying about Santa all along. Not to mention the easter bunny and the tooth fairy.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't imagine living in some of your heads. Doesn't the overanalysis get tiresome??

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So getting kids to believe in some kind of magical figure who knows exactly what you're doing, and knows if you're bad or good. Then rewards bad behaviour while punishing undesirable behaviour sometimes to the extent of the Krampus.

Are we just all indoctrinating kids into believing in god? Or is Santa just harmless and totally doesn't screw kids up when they find out they've been living a lie?
I mean, it's not like people avoid talking about religion to children, taking them to church or anything like that. A surrogate has no point (especially one that will eventually be dismissed). If anything wouldn't it weaken religion since at some point they will realize Santa Claus is just fantasy?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Reading the OP and the responses agreeing with them reminded me of this

the-grinch-1573157404.jpg

Seems more like indoctrination into consumerism to me.

This, pretty much.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
God lord this site sometimes

Why y'all have to hate everything good grief it's just santa

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's more getting in the habit of giving and getting gifts. The religious aspect is barely even there these days.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
No?

Plenty of irreligious people celebrate Christmas. If anything, I'd think it'd have the opposite effect ("if my parents lied about Santa, what else are they lying about")

If Santa is indoctrinating kids into anything, it's definitely consumerism

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno bout this, but learning that Santa wasn't real is what broke the concept of religion and god and all that when I was a youngin.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
No, but finding out Santa was fake at like 8 years old completely shattered my trust in my parents and pretty much made me realize religion is bullshit as well. If I have kids I'm just going to treat Santa like a fun little mascot for the holidays instead of a real person who monitors what you do and gives you presents.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Most parents bring their children up into their belief system via a more direct method known as raising them

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Santa gets too much credit. The Easter Bunny is the one who died on the cross for the sins of mankind and rose from the dead.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's best to introduce your children to the cold unloving truth of the world as soon as possible.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The religion of unlimted consumerism maybe. That's the only reason Santa exists in the way he does.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
No, religious indoctrination is indoctrinating kids into organized religion. There's plenty of it to go around, no need to go stretching the definition to include extra things like this, too. A belief in Santa isn't going to lead down a path toward religion anymore than a belief in the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy is.

The concepts are removed from any actual religious beliefs at this point in time. Besides, it helps gets them used to being lied to the rest of their lives. There's a great line about it in The Hogfather that I can't quite remember the wording of, but I'm sure someone will post it soon enough...

EDIT: Nvm, found it

Last edited:

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, because kids in Japan believe in Santa and their society is completely detached from a judeo-Christian world view.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Ahahahahahahaha what is this. It's just a fun thing for kids, they're meant to grow out of it. I'm honestly very concerned that some of you had a traumatic experience learning Santa isn't real.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to get kids to believe in something that makes no sense and falls apart under the slightest scrutiny, yep certainly sounds like religion

Status
Not open for further replies.