• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Maybe. But Rockstar had black, Asian, Native American, Eastern European and homosexual male protagonists in their biggest games. They have more diversity than most other devs that have a good looking, middle aged, white, heterosexual, male main character 95% of the time.
Not surprised by this thread though.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong with the homosexual male character.

Last edited:

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate joke.
Trevor could have long hair (and moobs), don't know if that counts?

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I think for the next gta multiple characters will happen again with one of them at least being a female

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
SR2 has nowhere near the narrative depth of modern GTA/RDR games. Older GTA's could've worked with SR2 style protagonists I'm sure, can't really say that for a game like RDR 2 where Arthur Morgan's character is such a central part of the game's narrative.

GTA? Narrative depth?

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
I really wished that Rockstar, with their massive cultural status, would stand up for women in games more by actually having one as a protagonist.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
GTA6 with a Female Protag would be interesting, but i think they will do 3 characters again with 1 female & one of the guys being the lead.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Revolver has a section where you play as a woman (but the game was half finished by the time Rockstar bought the studio making it)

But yeah, it's insane that they have yet to design a game starring a female character.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Rocksteady count? They had a dlc with female playable but that's dlc
MGSV you can play as a female character since the Medic is a created character.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If we're starting to count MGS V technicalities then I don't see how playing for hundreds of hours as a woman in GTA online doesn't count.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Isn't Bully 2 rumored to star a woman?

That said the nature of the games probably use to make them reluctant

ket

Jul 27, 2018
There was one level in Red Dead Revolver where you play as a rancher named Annie Stoakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a female character in film that would fit well in a GTA game (i.e. a relatable asshole)?

I'm not sure how that's relevant, since it's a game not a movie and there's nothing stopping you from writing a relatable asshole that's a woman.

Especially given that it's more or less a 'modern' crime story there's no shortage of women to draw inspiration from.
If she is well written, nobody will have a problem with it

If the writing sucks like with Lara in Rise/Shadow, people will criticize it

Some people absolutely would have an issue with it just in general, even if they tell themselves it's because of the writing. Because some people simply don't receive women acting the same way as a man in the same light (being assertive versus being bitchy, etc.)

The only question is whether or not that's a major component of Rockstar's audience. Overall I think those people are a vocal minority, but they're also more likely to be the hardcore players that companies are interested in keeping happy. Hence why lots of companies didn't want to loudly denounce Gamergate. (In general, most of the talk is also hot air, so I imagine you'd get a 'boycott Modern Warfare/everyone's playing Modern Warfare' type deal as we've seen in the past.)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Playing a GTA game set in the late 60's or early 70's as a black woman would honestly be really cool and a nice change of pace narratively and setting wise.

Lots of social upheaval, lots of great music, lots of room for different criminal organizations to be apart of the story.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Saint's Row was meh, even though you could play as a woman it's not a serious game at all so narrative is not a thing. At all. Got bored of Saints Row 4 and stopped playing it.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Rockstar games with female lead would be the game with the record number of npcs calling the player "a bitch".

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
zxhawsplsztdmtt9gykl.jpg

This was actually a great game too.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a female character in film that would fit well in a GTA game (i.e. a relatable asshole)?
There's Mildred Hayes from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. She'd fit right in in a GTA game.

Then we have Helena from Orphan Black. I think she'd feel very at home in a GTA game, too.

Another one that comes to mind is Lisbeth Salander in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, though the films (and I'm assuming the book) go out of their way to show her tragic circumstances in order to justify her being an arsehole. Bit difficult to imagine her fitting into something as light-hearted as GTA.

Some of the female main characters in The Bling Ring also seem like they'd fit well with GTA's humoristic commentary on American culture. They aren't quite violent and gun-toting enough to be GTA protagonists but they definitely bring the arsehole attitude and a good amount of criminal energy. (Whether they're actually relatable is debatable but I'd say that that goes for many existing GTA protagonists, as well.)

And if we ignore the violence aspect, there are loads more female relatable (and not so relatable) arsehole characters I can think of:
-Elizabeth in Bad Teacher
-Ludovica in Netflix's Baby
-Fiona in Web Therapy
-Max in 2 Broke Girls
-A whole bunch of characters in Mean Girls
-Chloe in Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came in to post this. I love this game too. Probably the only Rockstar game I love besides Red Dead Redemption.

Agreed, they did a great job with how it controlled too but because it's ping-pong it never got the credit it deserved. I would love to see Rockstar branch out again and do something original and a Billy sequel or another Midnight Club wouldn't hurt too lol. GTA and Red Dead should be put on hold for now.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Come on, you know that's not true. Most of the reactionary backlash will occur as soon as it's announced before anyone even gets to play the thing.

One of the reasons I so liked Saints Row 2 back in the day, was the ability to make your own character. Rockstar should bring their online's character creation to single player.

Agreed. I don't think having the protagonist be customizable hurt the writing or personality of "the boss".

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

yea there ain't any sexists in the gaming community, just real dedicated literary critics

i'd like rockstar to make a game with a woman lead, 'cause there's too many dudes in lead roles in games, but i'm confident they'd do a shit job of it. (and, uh, ngl i probably won't play it anyways--just haven't really been able to work up any interest in the studio's stuff since gta v.)

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I don't believe rockstar will ever have a female lead GTA. It's something that's been requested for many years on message boards, and possibly a few articles. But at the end of the day, it comes down to would they be creatively interested in writing a female character.

At this point no matter what direction they go, R* will be criticized for the gender/race they don't choose. Of course it will have no impact on people buying the product.

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I don't believe rockstar will ever have a female lead GTA. It's something that's been requested for many years on message boards, and possibly a few articles. But at the end of the day, it comes down to would they be creatively interested in writing a female character.

At this point no matter what direction they go, R* will be criticized for the gender/race they don't choose. Of course it will have no impact on people buying the product.

They'd really have to come up with a radical departure from the GTA formula to make it work. Not that I don't think they should be looking to do something like that anyway after 5 entries in the series (not counting spin-offs). Even so, GTA's core conceit is parodying a particular type of impotent masculinity.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
There's Mildred Hayes from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. She'd fit right in in a GTA game.
Another one that comes to mind is Lisbeth Salander in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, though the films (and I'm assuming the book) go out of their way to show her tragic circumstances in order to justify her being an arsehole. Bit difficult to imagine her fitting into something as light-hearted as GTA.
These are great choices.
Probably the most interesting and appealing out of all the ones mentioned in the thread.