• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is Returnal classified as?

• AAA

Votes: 957 47.5%
  • AA

Votes: 944 46.9%
  • Indie

Votes: 113 5.6%

• Total voters

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
More than 40% voted on AA...

It's AAA.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Housemarque goes AAA with new project

"The era, the ten-plus years that we've been mostly working on smaller, downloadable, arcade-inspired console games has…

In a press release today, Kuittinen revealed that Housemarque will be moving to AAA development and is currently working on an unannounced IP. The studio is nearing a total of 70 members and it is continuing to staff up for the project.

(...)

"We started working on new, more ambitious concepts, but of course we had some challenges to face there as well," Kuittinen says. "It took time to convince ourselves that we could be up to the task of developing a much bigger game than we have done in the past, as we were only around 50-people strong, working on two projects simultaneously. We knew this wasn't enough people to create a AAA game, so we dug in and took the plunge. We started working on new, creative concepts to present to potential partners and eventually, we landed a great opportunity to start working on pre-production for a new, unannounced AAA IP last year.

"At the same time, we truly started to rethink our company culture. What is really needed to build up AAA game development capabilities, and how should we approach our overall development process and the future of the company."

Does it have the same budget as something like TLOU, GOW or Horizon? Most certainly not. But that doesn't make it AA.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hard to make a case of anything being indie when it's bankrolled by Sony, is made not only by Housemarque but has XDev and other studios (like Climax at the very least) behind it. And the developers themselves refer to it as AAA, but obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion since the whole AA/AAA feels like nonsense and everyone defines it differently.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Which games had a 80€ suggested retail price and sold for it? None in the last decade. Even MHR is down to below 50€ currently.
The price jump happened this year so not many examples. Do you genuinely think Returnal will sell millions heck 100 of thousands more if it was less by 10-20€? I'm talking life time sales. Because Returnal will get price cuts and will sell at lower price points to people who want it at the lower prices.

Same people who gonna wait would buy it if it started at lower price point, but the demand curve really hasn't shifted.

There are business models that benefits from lower entry of price like online games so we get F2P.
MHR would have sold at a higher price by less units(quantity demanded is not the same as demand) but will still got the same life time sales.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's an indie AAA title, a rare and charming thing. Even though roguelikes aren't really appealing to me, I can definitely appreciate the combination of AAA production values and indie adherence to a non-conventional vision that make the game such a breath of fresh air in this industry. After all, what has come to define AAA as much as the budget for me is that the games are invariably safe in the concept. Sure, something like TLoU2 took a lot of narrative risks but the gameplay is refinement on an established, successful set of mechanics. So I look to independent developers to give me something a little less conventional, a little more experimental, or to revive genres the mainstream seems to have moved past.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Can't we switch to calling it Blockbuster/ big-budget, mid-budget, indie sorta like the movie industry? I doubt the budget on this game is in the first category so put it in the middle of those (freely admit I could be wrong).

It's either by budget or just some meaningless buzzword imo (Which is what most people use it as evidently).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like every thread I go to someone calls this game something different. I've heard it referred to as an indie due to housemarques reputation of creating smaller titles and being a relatively smaller studio.

I've heard people call it triple AAA because it looks like sony is throwing a lot of money behind it.

I've heard people say it's AA because it doesn't quite look like Sony's other big polished AAA games.

Which is it?
As the devs already said, it's an AAA game.
Lower-tier AAA game, but still AAA.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order is an AAA with a level of jank and amateurism that makes it look like a Focus/Embracer production.

Returnal seems the exact opposite, and on another league of handcrafting.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
AA for sure. In my mind. Hard to explain.

Maybe there's no difference anymore, once a platform holder gets involved?

Dunno, but Housemarque games don't come off as games that had massive massive production budgets.

Honestly, doesn't really matter. The one thing I think most people can agree on is that $70 feels like a deterrent for a lot of people.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The publisher decides which it is, is merely an investment rating and not something reflective of quality or production values per se. AAA means the publisher thinks there's a high change that the development costs will be covered and profit is expected.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They said that cause Sony pushed them and fixed the price at 70$, but we can see with our own eyes that the game doesn't look like a next-gen only AAA game should look, also the team is not as big as other studios which make AAA titles
Sony pushed them? We can see it doesn't look AAA? Really? Have you played it? Have reviews said that? Again, I'll stick with what they say until I can play for myself. The studio said AAA. So that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure many devs trying to talk up their game would actually refer to AA, so I'd say them saying "it's AAA" probably doesn't mean much when PR is so important.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hard to make a case of anything being indie when it's bankrolled by Sony, is made not only by Housemarque but has XDev and other studios (like Climax at the very least) behind it. And the developers themselves refer to it as AAA, but obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion since the whole AA/AAA feels like nonsense and everyone defines it differently.

All that needs to be said.

At the end of the day I can't help feeling like this is another "Is Returnal worth $70" discussion and we have had this discussed to death already

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
It definitely can't be indie. An indie studio is a small team that is generally self-supporting. Because Sony is helping make the game, it cannot be indie.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Why is this game in particular generating so much conversation about its price, budget, and anticipated quality?
The fact that these things keep coming up in every single discussion about Returnal makes me think that something is deficient in the game's marketing

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure many devs trying to talk up their game would actually refer to AA, so I'd say them saying "it's AAA" probably doesn't mean much when PR is so important.

I'm not saying it categorically isn't a AAA game (however you classify that) but this can't be overstated. If your publisher is pricing it at €80. As a dev you're either telling people it's AAA or saying it's overpriced. It's PR.

Why is this game in particular generating so much conversation about its price, budget, and anticipated quality?
The fact that these things keep coming up in every single discussion about Returnal makes me think that something is deficient in the game's marketing

This seems to be ignored, but I agree the marketing hasn't done a good job of selling this game as worth €80, hence why these conversations keep popping up.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
It's AAA for Housemarque. What's AAA for Housemarque, isn't what's considered AAA for ND, for SSM, for 343, for GG, etc, but it's still AAA.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Misplaced pre-conceptions about roguelites being of lesser quality and Housemarque being historically known for indie games, as if they're suddenly boxed into that and can't go into AAA production or something.

If this was a strictly narrative driven adventure, I bet none of this conversation would be happening 🤷‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
It's an indie AAA title, a rare and charming thing. Even though roguelikes aren't really appealing to me, I can definitely appreciate the combination of AAA production values and indie adherence to a non-conventional vision that make the game such a breath of fresh air in this industry. After all, what has come to define AAA as much as the budget for me is that the games are invariably safe in the concept. Sure, something like TLoU2 took a lot of narrative risks but the gameplay is refinement on an established, successful set of mechanics. So I look to independent developers to give me something a little less conventional, a little more experimental, or to revive genres the mainstream seems to have moved past.
To me, this definition is the essence of what "AA" used to mean.

In relativistic terms, it IS a mid tier budget/scope game. And it skirts the safe route taken by most firmly "AAA" games.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it categorically isn't a AAA game (however you classify that) but this can't be overstated. If your publisher is pricing it at €80. As a dev you're either telling people it's AAA or saying it's overpriced. It's PR.
Oh it's absolutely an attempt to justify the price, at least partially.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Indie AAA was coined by Ninja Theory for Hellblade that was self-funded and cut a LOT of corners to still maintain a AAA appearance. This isn't that, it is fully funded by Sony and its a natural progression from the relationship they have built with them releasing so many well received PSN games since the early PS3 days.

I think they just wanted to tackle the AAA scene and went with a gameplay style/concept that was natural for them and an evolution of what they do so well. Not much more to it than that, it has a budget of what they needed for their AAA game. And AAA budgets are allover the place now, with The Last of Us 2 being closer to a AAAA game....

Still, it is exactly as they say. Just their own attempt at a AAA game with Sony, and Sony is backing them and promoting the game at that level too

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder whether the term 'rogue-lite' has affected some people's perception. Say rogue-like or lite and I think a lot of people automatically jump to lower-budget title.

If the game had instead been described as a AAA narrative-led 3rd person shooter by PlayStation Studios would we keep hearing 'Nah, it's not a AAA title'?

Plum

May 31, 2018
This was never a question for me, i empathize with that 100% I also understand we are in a global pandemic so if people choose to be more frugal and decide ot hold off on buying new these days I completely get it.

What I don't get is someone saying the game should be 30-40 because it's a roguelike or it doesn't look as pretty as GoT,GoW,TLOU. Like it's not really up for you to determine that (not you).

I find that "should be a certain price," is almost always a more basic way of saying "I think this would sell better if it were a certain price." In the case of Returnal, I think that's probably true; the game really does feel like it's not going to end up making the big splash it really needs to. It's unfortunate, really just for the developers but, well, that's on Sony's back if it does happen.

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I find that "should be a certain price," is almost always a more basic way of saying "I think this would sell better if it were a certain price." In the case of Returnal, I think that's probably true; the game really does feel like it's not going to end up making the big splash it really needs to. It's unfortunate, really just for the developers but, well, that's on Sony's back if it does happen.

I could also see people writing this game off as a budget title if it were priced as a budget title. Pricing is similar to their other AAA means they feel confident about the scope of it.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Supergiant Games has like 20 people.

Housemarque had more than 70 when they were starting the project, plus help from Sony (like XDev).

Not even remotely the same.

A lot of AA game had around 100 people working on it like Divinity OS 2, pillars of eternity etc.

Again, it could be very well be a AAA in terms of budget and manpower but as I have said "from what I saw in terms of game play and marketing it looked like a AA game to me"

Last edited:

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
Does it matter? the game looks fire, wow we really gotta kill the AAA,AA, and indie bs. When there's indies that are better than triple As

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Full Price
PS5 exclusive
Published by Sony
Heavily advertised by Sony
~100 people studio
self-described as "AAA-Game"

…yeah, I'm thinking it's an indie game!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Half the people here thinking that it isn't AAA is probably an issue for the game since it's priced as a AAA game

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What? Control is definitely a AAA, it looked great when it released and especially on PC it was one of the first titles showing RTX, it's also deeper than Returnal gameplay wise. And i'm confident it was a full price game when it released 2 years ago, of course the new version with PS5 box is not full price being an older game

How is Control's gameplay "deeper" than Returnal and what does that have to do with it being an AAA or AA?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
This never stopped piles of shit $60 games from 50-100 man teams from releasing over the past 2-3 console generations. I'm sure we can go back to the PS360, Wii era, PS4, XBO, Wii U era and find more than a handful.

Hahah yeah of course, that's part of the point, it's not necessarily tied to quality, or price IMO. It's budget and generally size of the team. What I was trying to say there is that just because anyone can price their product high does not immediately make it something that's 'aaa'. Certainly doesn't stop actual large, big budget teams from making a bad game though, as we've seen time and time again. Game development is hard!

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) - Platform Warring
Returnal looks great to me but it also looks like a game Sony fanboys would rip to shreds if it was on Xbox

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
There are genuine "indie" games that have the look of a "AAA" game and vice versa

So the question is entirely pointless since the 3 options are broadly meaningless.

Returnal looks like it could belong to any or none. Anyway, it doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy from what has been shown so far

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
Another way to look at it is, how many AAA games release a year by your own definition? Is it closer to 10 or 25? If you think it's around 10 or less, you probably don't consider Returnal AAA. If you think it's closer to 25 or more, I find it hard to imagine you wouldn't include it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
AA.

It's a Rouge like too. It's gonna be the next Hades which is also AA. Indie games have lost all meaning. That's the problem with this thread.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Housemarque being historically known for indie games

HMQ is historically known from AAA snowboarding games:
Supreme_Snowboarding_boxart.png
Transworld_Snowboarding_Xbox.jpg