• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
To me, the most interesting thing about yesterdays Metroid Prime 4 news is Retro Studios itself. Whether you believe the Star Fox rumors or not, the title hasn't yet been announced. I have to assume they have SOMETHING coming soon, as it would be odd for Nintendo to have so much confidence to hand them Prime 4 if the last five years have yielded nothing but canceled projects.

So, assuming Retro has another game planned for release within a year or so, has there ever been a case like this?

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
YoungGiganticLark-size_restricted.gif

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of our posters with industry sources mentioned whether Star Fox Grand Prix is still believed to be a thing in development that will see release?

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible that they're temporarily shelving whatever they're working on now, or even putting a small team to start pre-production of Metroid while they finish up their current project. Or it could be that Nintendo decided that their current project is a lower priority and allowed the team to cancel it knowing that Metroid Prime 4 has far more weight behind it. Hard to say considering that current rumors have it that Retro initiated it.

On the other hand, Retro Studios has had plenty of cancelled projects but the games they do release have been fantastic. Three of them were named Metroid Prime, so it only makes sense to hand it off to them even if they've worked on nothing but cancelled projects the past five years.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda announced Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 before Fallout 76 was even out.
But that happens all the time. Anthem isn't out and they already announced the next Dragon Age game.

This is like Rocksteady saying "after our next (announced) game, we'll be making another Batman game".
Or like The Initiative announcing their second game before revealing the game they're working on right now ...

At least that's what the OP is asking for, right?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I still really wanna know what Retro's "current" game actually is!

So many rumours point to it being a StarFox racing game but I think there was a rumour that it's a new Diddy Kong Racing. I think at one point there was even a rumour saying that it's a new 3D Donkey Kong game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason a lot of people are pessimistic about Star Fox Grand Prix?
I assume if it was canned they would have switch Prime 4 studio way earlier.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Current game?

As far as we know there is no current game, Metroid Prime 4 is their current game.

Why people keep assuming all rumors are always real?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Have any of our posters with industry sources mentioned whether Star Fox Grand Prix is still believed to be a thing in development that will see release?
My theory is that it was actually Star Fox Grand Pee, a urine-based Splatoon clone, and everyone just assumed it was Grand Prix because that's not as weird.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what it's worth ( not sure if there is verification ) but on Glassdoor a disgruntled employee* wrote that the star fox racing game was canceled in September

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think Retro was working on anything that was to be released.

Hmmmm game goes through development hell, gets tossed in the trash so they are starting over from scratch - and you think they'd give it to a dev whose last games have gone through development hell and therefore also will be starting from scratch?

Nah. It would be like calling an arsonist to put out a fire. Retros game, whatever it is must be either done or in the final stages

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Current game?

As far as we know there is no current game, Metroid Prime 4 is their current game.

Why people keep assuming all rumors are always real?
Assuming there is a current game is the logical approach. Why would Nintendo hand a game that had to be rebooted to a studio that, if no current game exists, hasn't managed to release a game in five years?

There is assuming rumours are real and using your own head and weighing the options for what is more likely.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Yeah

current game is Metroid Prime 4. Whatever Retro was doing is gone

There's a lot of talk in the Prime 4/Nintendo threads about Retro's last game being done, but they're sitting on it, & Nintendo is sitting on a few other finished games, too. Apparently NSMBUDX & Yoshi have been ready for months, as well as the HD Metroid Prime Trilogy. Launching a game a month worked for Nintendo in 2017 so that seems to be their strategy now.

My guess is Retro finished their last game recently, & the only thing they've made between then & now has been the Prime 4 demo they pitched.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
You have it exactly right, OP. It would be odd if Retro spent 5 years muddling between failed projects only for Nintendo to say "these are the folks to save this troubled production."

Especially if they are confident enough that Retro can save it to announce it publicly. There would need to be a cause for that confidence, which means there needs to be a Retro game in a near-finished state.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retros situation becomes weirder by the week these days. No idea why a studio would be idle for years...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what it's worth ( not sure if there is verification ) but on Glassdoor a disgruntled employee* wrote that the star fox racing game was canceled in September
Hmm that would be insane, isn't that what Retro has been doing during the last 5 years or so? I know they did Tropical Freeze for Switch as well but wasn't that a smaller secondary team?

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmmm game goes through development hell, gets tossed in the trash so they are starting over from scratch - and you think they'd give it to a dev whose last games have gone through development hell and therefore also will be starting from scratch?

Nah. It would be like calling an arsonist to put out a fire. Retros game, whatever it is must be either done or in the final stages

Interesting.

However I meant that what ever Retro is/was working on is not a "console" game. I'll stand by what I said before that Retro is working on something Arcade/VR for Super Nintendo World. Star Fox GP is an Arcade game. (If the rumors are to be believed)

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Because they haven't released a game in 5 years and Nintendo didn't seem to blink to give them Prime 4.

I made some research on this topic this morning, little recap for you (i won't post links again but you can find everything on the internet):

- there were concrete rumors in 2013 that several employees, most of the veterans would have left the company after Tropical Freeze, and Nintendo had to essentially rebuild the studio.

- we know for sure they started working on something in 2014 (they admitted it and Tanabe was involved), but the way Tanabe talked about Retro the year after, he made it look like that project was already gone (or maybe not reading Eric Kozlowsky's tweet, who btw left the studio in 2015).

- Since then we haven't heard any news until they started hiring again by the end of 2016 / 2017.

If you listen the interview Game Informer did with Mark Pacini a couple of years ago he said before Prime 1, there were several iterations of teams at Retro Studios that came and went, so at some point they had maybe the best people from all these previous teams.

Also i remember previous interviews where Retro's CEO said it takes time to teach western developers to think like Nintendo to develop the kind of games they want to see, which makes me believe in these 5 years Retro faced a transitional period, training these new employees, we don't know whether from this period they still managed to make a game or not but i wouldn't take that for granted.

At least now we know they wil work on Metroid Prime 4, that's already better than those previous years of dead silence.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know there is no current game. That said it's hard to imagine they sat idle, not working on anything since 2014.

There's rumours about that Star Fox racing game that they were supposedly working on, plus the Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster for the Switch. Those are just rumours, though.

Oct 26, 2017
True. But in that case, actual work had started on Cyberpunk at that time right? I doubt they assumed it would have a near 10 year dev cycle.
The initial trailer reveal was for recruitment purposes and if I remember correctly it wasn't even done by CDPR themselves. Think of it as marketing for the company as much as an individual game. This is pure speculation but I'm thinking those early years were probably spent on conceptualising with Mike Pondsmith.
The point stands though, it was a game reveal.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
there's no current game
You think they've just been twiddling their thumbs for the past half-decade? Retro has to have been doing more than just work on ports of Tropical Freeze and Prime Trilogy. Unless they've been constantly assisting other studios with their projects (like w/ Mario Kart 7), there's an extremely high chance they've also been working on something of their own that we've yet to see. Nintendo like to sit on projects for a lengthy period of time, so who knows when we'll see it, but there's no way a studio that talented was near-idle for that long.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
You think they've just been twiddling their thumbs for the past half-decade? Retro has to have been doing more than just work on ports of Tropical Freeze and Prime Trilogy. Unless they've been constantly assisting other studios with their projects (like w/ Mario Kart 7), there's an extremely high chance they've also been working on something of their own that we've yet to see. Nintendo like to sit on projects for a lengthy period of time, so who knows when we'll see it, but there's no way a studio that talented was near-idle for that long.

I don't think they've been idling their thumbs, I think whatever they've been working on has been cancelled.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
WayForward ran the kickstarter for the fourth Shantae before the third came out.