• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is more likely to get a major upgrade next?

• Resident Evil 3

Votes: 478 87.5%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 68 12.5%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I never hear about RE 3. It exists but didn't get the same porting attention the rest of the series has gotten. Yet for completion sake? I want it to be overhauled at least with new textures and I'd play it. I doubt it will get a full blown remake like RE2 is getting, since RE2 has long had several ports and huge fanfare around it as among the series' best.

But that said, I'm left wondering if RE4 will get an (at least graphical) overhaul beyond its repeated ports with shit old textures. This is the turning point and critical darling of the series for production value jump, causing it to be arguably the most ported entry in the franchise (GameCube, PS2, Wii, 360, PS3, PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, etc.). It still plays cool but visually needs help. Fan project for PC aside, what do you suspect Capcom will do with consideration for their constant releases on consoles?

Is 3 going to get attention for completion's sake?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's going to be 3, hands down. 4 still looks / plays decent enough that they can port it to everything easily and make money. RE3, being a PS1 game, looks rough and needs the remake treatment desperately.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I think it would be 3, simply because folks will gladly pay for 4 again every couple of years. There's no financial incentive to remake 4, when it still sells okay for the low cost of porting and upping the resolution a little bit more each gen.

Resident Evil 4K coming to PS5. Same game still.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
RE4 is perfect and almost impossible to improve. Only overconfident developers would try to tackle that, and even then they are most certainly going to fail.

I'm not even sure RE2 remake would play as well as RE4, in terms of its pacing and everything.

RE4 is a game design masterpiece, and the gameplay was never interrupted by bad scripted events such as forced slow walking or forced stealth sections, which are plenty common in modern game design, boy what a garbage design trend we have today, it's almost like developers prioritize ''cool'' over fun.

Last edited:

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Well, it seems that REmake3 is already in early development so that's what we'll get in a couple of years (crossing fingers).

4 still holds up quite a bit imo.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta be 3. Plus I want them to wait a bit longer before they tackle 4.

A 3 remake could feasibly be this gen, 4 could be next.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017

Although Code: Veronica could use it the most out of all of them. I just don't know if the passion for that game is there.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Resident Evil 4 getting a remake anytime soon would be just plain silly.

I think Capcom should do 3 and then leave it at that for Resi remakes. Anything more would be overblown.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With how easy Resident Evil 4 sells to this day by way of simply being ported to each console, they have no incentive or reason to remake it. Resident Evil 3 makes way more sense. After that I can see them eventually tackling RE4.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Seeing as RE4 HD was ported to the PS4 and X1, I don't see Capcom remaking it any time soon. 3, on the other hand, remains a characteristically ugly PSX title.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's probably controversial, but shit I wouldn't even mind a RE5 remake eventually, but I suppose Capcom probably doesn't want to get into the business of exclusively recreating previous efforts, an RE8 in this vein is probably just as likely as a 3 or 4.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I hope 3, because 4 is my least favourite RE, and it's not old enough to already have a remake.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I searched and didn't find that info lol - where is it confirmed?
Show me the receipts plz.

Here you go

Resident Evil 3 Remake is already in development.

I hope Code Veronica happens as I do feel it's the RE game most in need of a remake, but RE3 is the last mainline RE game that needed a version for easier porting in the future (RE0, RE1, RE2 (after REmake 2 comes out), Code Veronica, RE4, RE5, RE6, RE7, Revelations & Revelations 2 all have versions on MT Framework and RE Engine that be ported to future consoles, only RE3 is missing after REmake 2). Code Veronica I think depends more on how well REmake 2 and REmake 3 does though.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I would imagine 3.
There's a part of my brain that refuses to accept the idea that 4 could ever look different. (Aside from higher res ports of course.) That's pretty much the only 3D game where that would genuinely bother me. I admit that that's completely irrational but there you go.

Plus, 3 is brilliant and deserves more love. I used to consider it the ugly duckling of the pre-RE4 games but upon revisiting it a few years ago I was truly surprised by how good it really was.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think RE4 will ever get fully remade. At most, an overhauled HD texture mod on the same game, but never a full remake. It's already modern-enough and has gameplay sensibilities that are still as valid today as they were in 2005.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3. 4 still sells as-is and wouldn't gain anything from the remake format

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I love RE4 just as much as you probably do, but RE4 isn't going anywhere, I'm down for a total re-imagining.

Total re-imagining by a team that never made RE4?

Nah thanks, I would rather watch a Hayao Miyazaki movie that's ''re-imagined'' by a group of unknown artists who like to think they are qualified. ''Spirited Away REMAKE''

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Total re-imagining by a team that never made RE4?

Nah thanks, I would rather watch a Hayao Miyazaki movie that's ''re-imagined'' by a group of unknown artists who like to think they are qualified. ''Spirited Away REMAKE''
?! The same thing is happening right now with RE2, kind of a silly thing to say, it's pretty unrealistic to expect an entire team to return 20 years later.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Resident Evil 4 HD Project is already the perfect way to play. No need for a remake.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
?! The same thing is happening right now with RE2, kind of a silly thing to say, it's pretty unrealistic to expect an entire team to return 20 years later.

First, we are not sure if RE2 remake is going to be a disappointment, the game isn't even out.

Second, I don't believe anyone over at Capcom can top RE4's game design, especially with all the shitty game design trends we have today. Just look at the first level of RE7, it's literally forced slow walk plus unskippable scripted events that's not remotely fun to play. I was bored beyond belief after seeing Mia cutting my hand off for the 20th time.

The original RE4 is cinematic but it was cinematic AND gameplay focused, when it's gameplay it's 100% gameplay. Unlike most games these days.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Only reason I am excited about RE2: Remake because it makes way for RE3. I hope it has Mercenaries mode too.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
First, we are not sure if RE2 remake is going to be a disappointment, the game isn't even out.

Second, I don't believe anyone over at Capcom can top RE4's game design, especially with all the shitty game design trends we have today. Just look at the first level of RE7, it's literally forced slow walk plus unskippable scripted events that's not remotely fun to play.

The original RE4 is cinematic but it was cinematic AND gameplay focused, when it's gameplay it's 100% gameplay. Unlike most games these days.
What is there to lose though? If RE2 remake sucks, the masterpiece of RE2 is still there. If an RE4 remake sucks, Re4 is still there.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope 3 became a GAAS-style expansion to 2R as it's the same setting.

That wouldn't work. 90% of RE3 consists of different areas, not to mention enemies, weapons and items.

What is there to lose though? If RE2 remake sucks, the masterpiece of RE2 is still there. If an RE4 remake sucks, Re4 is still there.

There's a small issue in that Capcom probably won't be porting the originals as much as the remakes. I'd be very surprised if vanilla RE and RE2 appear on PC anytime soon.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

You're not wrong, but I rather they put that money and resource to good use instead of trying to recreate their senpai's masterpiece.

It's like the Lion King remake really.

There's a small issue in that Capcom probably won't be porting the originals as much as the remakes.

This is also true, It would suck if Capcom decided that all RE4 ports going forward will be the shitty remake version instead of the original.

''Resident Evil 4 coming to PlayStation 7......annnnd its the shitty remake not the original....''

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Today has reminded me just how much ERA loves the Resident Evil series. Anyway, RE3 is the next logical game in the series and arguably the game that needs it more than probably any other game in the series. With RE4 I almost feel like it would make the more sense for them to hire on Bluepoint to do a Shadow of the Colossus remaster of RE4 as that RE4 mostly just needs modern visuals and a alternate modern control scheme. That's not to say that everything else about RE4 is perfect but its still strong enough that it doesn't need anything so dramatic.