• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the results can be pretty weird

And sometimes I just don't get how the search functions. Like trying to search exact words in a title using quote marks sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?

I just watched Arrival and tried to look for threads, but "Arrival" gets me every title including some form of arrive, arrives... which is completely useless
but trying around a bit I just don't get why

"Breaking Bad" gets me only titles with the exact phrase just fine, but a search for "Breaking" has also results like break etc

it's not about single vs multiple words either, "Looper" will get me just threads for the film, but with a search for "looping" I only get titles with "loop"

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I swear it's cause the search doesn't prioritise titles for your keyword. I'm aware there's a "search titles only" option but if i search 'maiden' the thread for the RE8 demo shouldn't be on the fourth page of results.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
It's bad, but probably not the worst. I've used fan wiki searches, typed the exact name of the page I want (because fan wikis tend to have easily guessed page names, ie character names, etc.), and still the page does not appear in the search results. So I grumble, manually type whatever.wiki/exactlywhatIwant in the address bar, and lo and behold, the darn page I knew would exist totally exists, and it has the name I knew it would have. That's some next-level search nonsense, right there.

...Though now that I think of it, I haven't tried typing the exact name of ResetEra threads to see if they come up. Here, I only use the search when I don't know the exact title.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It would be hard to make an even less useful text fragment for search than "OT".

The idea isn't to search for OT*, or god forbid *OT*; the idea is that the search engine should tokenize mixed strings by indexing them both whole, and separating alphabetic characters from numerals.

Better than the old place before the exodus.
Search > no results > Wait 30 seconds before searching again argh!!!

Oh god, I had forgotten about that... :S

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Chiming in to say when you're searching for previous news-related threads posted by others, you sometimes have a hard time getting results because the thread title might be editorialized by the OP of the thread, and not be the same as the title that is on the original news article source itself.

It is possible this can happen.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
This just reinforces the fact that learning how to use search and read results should be a required course as early as elementary school, and reinforced every year.
I swear it's cause the search doesn't prioritise titles for your keyword. I'm aware there's a "search titles only" option but if i search 'maiden' the thread for the RE8 demo shouldn't be on the fourth page of results.
Of course it doesn't that's why you're given the option to search thread titles instead, or you're gonna be searching through individual posts by users where words like "maiden" have much more widespread and recent use than your singular requirement.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I always have to use Google to find the threads I'm looking for. I swear the search results if I'm using Resetera's search are like "worst results will be at the top".

I assume it's not Resetera-specific, more an inherent problem to the platform, but yeah it sucks.

edit: Also, I'm sorry but making countless new threads to cover the same topic seems entirely pointless. What is the point of having a "Movies you've seen recently" each month? Why would I want to have such a thread every month exactly? It's not like sports. I have to subscribe/unsubscribe every month?

I'm with you OP. It always seems the thread I'm looking for is on the last page of results, even if I searched for nearly the exact wording of the title.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's useless. You have to watch the threads you want to revisit, which is fine, but searching to see if a thread about x topic already exists is really difficult.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Yeah it's useless. You have to watch the threads you want to revisit, which is fine, but searching to see if a thread about x topic already exists is really difficult.
1) Search titles only.
2) Order by date.
3) Display results as threads.

Literally never had an issue.

What gets me is wondering why someone got banned, clicking on their post history to find out, only to be greeted with an "oops! we ran into a problem" error.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It has its moments. But I just absolutely hate how you have zero options to change or modify the search after its been made. Like, you accidently search for Threads and Posts when you only wanted Threads... oh well, just search again and click the option. It's pretty clunky.

It'd be nice if you had a search settings pane where you could reconfigure after the fact without having to go through all the menus again.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been able to find what I'm looking for on Era's search either. I resort to a search engine too.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
you ever try to be specific to the amazon/amazon prime now search engine? it just doesn't care

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I might see the topic I'm looking for in the search dropdown as I'm typing, but rarely when I hit enter.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
..... it displays results based on age with newest first. It's not that difficult to figure out. OT's tend to be older threads, so be more specific in your search criteria (include |ot| in the search criteria).

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
YouTube history search is worse than this...

One of those occasions when you type the exact keyword on your own YouTube history search and their search engine seems couldn't find it, when especially it's actually the same freaking word on the video title... 🙄🤦

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I've just spent five minutes trying to search for a thread that was along the lines of 'recommend a product that you can't live without', as it had some great product recommendations, but I have no idea how to search for it and It's driving me mad haha.