• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FatherEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Some people get a little frustrated with something, can't control their emotions, and let those emotions snowball. They are then convinced that it is a bigger problem than it is in reality. They then see many others not having as much of a problem or no problem at all, and the emotions turn passionate.

RDR2 and some other games have minor things that some people don't like. These games are very popular, so it becomes makes those with the issues really upset.

RDR2 is one of the most incredible games ever made. Definitely not 7 or 8/10. Maybe it will take effort to control your emotions to understand that.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
which is why the PC version will alleviate a lot of the issues with the game. GTA 5 and Witcher 3 had similiar issues on consoles, and they're both a lot better on PC due to higher framerate.
RDR2 on PC will still have the same plodding movement, the same laboured fucking looting animations, the same "do exactly the right thing exactly when you're supposed to do it" repeated ad nauseum mission structure, and I suspect, the same bizarrely long delay between movement control input and initial response from Arthur Morgan. Mouse aiming and 60FPS cannot mend all.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying BotW must have selective memory or still be thinking the Jim Sterling review and anyone saying "he still liked it" count as divisive.

BotW was this forums darling. Where it was compared to other games constantly and would always come out on top.

Sekiro now holds that same spot.

It is close between Red Dead 2 and Uncharted 4. All of the LttP threads for Uncharted follow the same pattern of boring, best one, bad paced, GotY back and forth. Same as Red Dead 2 follows bad controls, best open world ever, too long, I'm still finding new things 80 hours in.
BotW was the forum darling in the sense that a lot of people loved it but you can't ignore the "hate" threads regurgitating the same criticisms over and over that popped every week for like a full year. Even today people drive by to throw their dig at it and remind everyone how they don't like it.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Some people get a little frustrated with something, can't control their emotions, and let those emotions snowball. They are then convinced that it is a bigger problem than it is in reality. They then see many others not having as much of a problem or no problem at all, and the emotions turn passionate.

RDR2 and some other games have minor things that some people don't like. These games are very popular, so it becomes makes those with the issues really upset.

RDR2 is one of the most incredible games ever made. Definitely not 7 or 8/10. Maybe it will take effort to control your emotions to understand that.
Lol holy fuck

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed that while it's divisive, many usually dismiss those who don't like the game as "haters" or people just being grumpy. It definitely seems like more people lean toward liking it, though.

Edit: And just gonna throw in my opinion because why not? I personally feel that if RDR2 advertised itself as a simulator rather than an RPG, adventure, shooter, etc., I may have enjoyed it to some extent. The game is absolutely a slog and just not fun whatsoever, in any way. But if I went into it thinking it was meant to be "Wild West Nature Simulator" I probably would've seen it differently, and could excuse the fact that there isn't really a fun factor. Still wouldn't be my cup of tea, but at least I could give it credit for that.

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this forum is as critical to RDR2 as they are with BotW

People are critical to BotW on this forum??

Kidding a little bit. I know there have been a few people who didn't like it. Still, seems like this forum is FULL of people who love this game and who will go to war for it. I mean I love it too, but we used to have a praise thread a day around here because of BoTW.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone saying BotW must have selective memory or still be thinking the Jim Sterling review and anyone saying "he still liked it" count as divisive.

BotW was this forums darling. Where it was compared to other games constantly and would always come out on top.

Sekiro now holds that same spot.

It is close between Red Dead 2 and Uncharted 4. All of the LttP threads for Uncharted follow the same pattern of boring, best one, bad paced, GotY back and forth. Same as Red Dead 2 follows bad controls, best open world ever, too long, I'm still finding new things 80 hours in.

I don't know what is so divisive about Uncharted 4. That game was below average in whatever way you look at it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
which is why the PC version will alleviate a lot of the issues with the game. GTA 5 and Witcher 3 had similiar issues on consoles, and they're both a lot better on PC due to higher framerate.

That won't fix the extremely restricting mission design and the waves upon waves of enemies during some missions in the second half of the game. It also doesn't fix the pacing and chapter 5.

The is some elitism bullshit my friend.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can find at least one critic out there who will speak truth about the actual quality of GTA 4
Nope. Not if you by that post mean that it's actually bad, not a critic that gets the score up on metacritic at least.

GTA4 PS3
64 positive
0 mixed
0 negative

GTA4 360
86 positive
0 mixed
0 negative

GTA4 PC
38 positive
2 mixed
0 negative

And for RDR2
RDR2 PS4
97 positive
1 mixed
0 negative

RDR2 XB1
33 positive
0 mixed
0 negative

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Could mods change the game on PC? Don't know much about modding but could the movement be changed (sped up and controlled from analogue stick), some animations shortened or eliminated and control scheme refined?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
rdr2metacritic.png

97 on Meta baby. The most dynamic, interactive and best open world game of this gen. The first open world game that truly feels alive, Rockstar have achieved what video games have been trying for decades.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
It's my favourite game I've played this generation but I can absolutely see why it's so divisive. While it was my favourite game, it was a pretty decent way off being the most fun game I've played, sometimes honestly finding things tedious. I think if the story, atmosphere and world don't grab you I can see why it falls into the category of "this is so overrated"

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not just this forum, but everywhere. I've seen lots of negative comments on a deal site, and also from casual gamers I know who dont visit sites like this. It's no coincidence second hand shops were flooded with copies soon after launch.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That won't fix the extremely restricting mission design and the waves upon waves of enemies during some missions in the second half of the game. It also doesn't fix the pacing and chapter 5.

Maybe not, but the controls are the main issue most people seem to have, and it will be an improvement regardless. Also, the pacing is an essential part of the slow burn western that rdr 2 is, you may not like it but there is very little about it that could be "fixed", without it losing its integrity.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee has a... let's be kind and call it a divided opinion here.

Is it everything wrong with the franchise?
Shameless G1 pandering?
A fresh take on the series?
One of the most fun Pokémon games yet?
All of the above at the same time?

And did it break the community so people are now looking for flaws in Sword and Shield?

The answer depends entirely on how you feel about being able to pet an Eevee.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Maybe not, but the controls are the main issue most people seem to have, and it will be an improvement regardless. Also, the pacing is an essential part of the slow burn western that rdr 2 is, you may not like it but there is very little about it that could be "fixed", without it losing its integrity.
The pacing is mostly fine, but Chapter 5 and the epilogue really aren't. The epilogue keeps going on and on. I can't go into details without spoiling ir though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
In my case it's more that I think it's overrated. It's nowhere near a 97 game. I think the game does a lot of great things, but it goes too far with them to the detriment of the game: too many samey missions that all go the same. Too many menial tasks that have little to no impact on the game. The game itself is almost too in love with itself to let things go. It could have been cut short by 50% and it would still be a long game that essentially says and does the same things.

But on the other hand, the game is everything I wanted it to be with its gorgeous lived-in world-design and great attention to detail. I also liked the characters and story (even more if it were compacted more). I'd personally rank it somewhere around 80. Still a very high score and I still think the game is very much worth playing, but is it overrated? Very much so.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Right. Because everybody in the world feels exactly the same way about everything as they felt when they first came in contact with it.
Reviews aren't based on a critic's first contact with a game, on rare occasions they don't play it until the end but they've still spent enough time with it that their opinion of it should've stabilized.

But I actually think critics need to start revisiting games since there is almost always post-launch updates and games as a service makes the initial reviews pointless.
But that's for another thread.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing to not think something is a masterpiece and another thing to say it's garbage.

Ask yourself this
Why don't we ever see a critic say a meta 97 game is garbage?
Out of all the people around the world that review games none have the same taste in games as some people here?

You should listen to Dan ryckert of giant bomb. He hates the game while red dead redemption 1 was his gotg last gen. My opinion mirrors a lot of hims too.

I think people like this help make it so devisive. You can't even simply say that you don't like the game without getting attacked and accused of being a fanboy of a different game or that you "can't control your emotions" by someone so upset that you do not like something they like that they, ironically, seem to not be able to control their emotions and have to lash out. That understandably makes people that are getting attacked for not liking RDR 2 annoyed and they will dig in even more.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think the game sucks. It is extremely boring, has horrendous controls and input lag, isn't interesting to play, etc. I was extremely hyped for it and even preordered it digitally (couldn't cancel or refund), and I just couldn't enjoy it no matter what.

If they don't make another RDR I'd be ok. GTA will always be around, but Rockstar should do a new IP.

RDR2 feels like it's playing itself most of the time. I regret buying it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't for everyone.
For me it's a 10/10 and a milestone in history of videogames.
Same for me.
And it's about to get even better soon. It was my GOTY last year based on the X version and it'll be my GOTY this year based on the PC and Stadia version.

Is it the game of the generation? Maybe, it's either RDR2 or BOTW, nothing comes close.
And Arthur is the most interesting protagonist in the history of gaming.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't think so, because I actually agree with some of the main criticism, namely the ancient mission design and not-so-engaging gameplay mechanics. I love the game in spite of that, because it achieves greatness in different areas.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Any beloved game is the most divisive game of all time in a sense because there will always be someone who will find it trash.

A game is flaming garbage or the holy grail. No in between.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
In my eyes it is because it threads the line in what defines a video game. How intuitive or good it feels to interact with the game and what I am getting out of it in terms of esthetic or narrative. And in my eyes the interactive aspect defines why I use my time on a game and not a movie or a book.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
The division is: there are people who love this game, and other people who haven't finished the game.
I paid 60 dollars for rdr2. Both be and my cousin couldn't get past 5 hrs of the campaign and we both hated the multiplayer.

Terrible gameplay. Couldn't stand the horrible movement control system among other things. Multiplayer has the worst auto-aim I've ever seen too.

IMO of course, people have a right to like it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phrased another way, two thirds of it felt it was overrated. There are a lot of 90+ games out there. 97s is rare company.

Every game is going to be divisive if the question is "Is it the best game of all time or just a fantastic game?" Something tells me Super Mario Odyssey would be more "divisive" in that case.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every game is going to be divisive if the question is "Is it the best game of all time or just a fantastic game?" Something tells me Super Mario Odyssey would be more "divisive" in that case.
Maybe? Do other people find their complaints with Odyssey as glaring as RDR2's critics find its shortcomings? If so, they should make more noise. I don't recall seeing many threads here to that effect. I feel like that's what it's about. How overwhelmingly effusive is the praise, and contrarily, how strongly do the detractors feel about their own misgivings? I absolutely agree with almost all of the praise for RDR2's best facets, but there was still a lot of things there that made me grind my teeth. But evidently few or none of the reviewers felt that way.

Oct 30, 2017
Recently, yes it is.

to me it's the beet game in this generation and Top 5 of all time.... to some they couldn't even stand it more than first few chapters.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to see why. It has qualities to it that could be described as industry leading, while it at the same has parts to it which are absolutely terrible (gameplay in general aming other things, imo).

This doesn't mean I'd rate it like a 5/10 or lower so it definitely isn't a terrible game overall. But different people will value different aspects differently. The game's qualitiy just isn't consistent in all of it's parts.

It's not just on this forum though.

This gets brought up everytime and just isn't true. I have seen the same discussions on other message boards, in private Whatsapp groups and with friends in RL. It's a divisive game outside the Era bubble too.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had the same thing with gta 4, some people who did everything to defend it and give rockstar a pass. Give it a few years.

And like other have said it's not just on this forum.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Kojima talking about animation priority and making things like picking up cargo off the floor 'feel' snappy and instantaneous kinda gives me hope in this regard. When compared to RDR2, it's not realistic at all, but his mentality regarding good game feel hasn't changed since MGSV despite some thinking Death Stranding would ship with bad gameplay.

This is coming from someone who doesn't mind how slow RDR2's movement feels as it's still really fuckin' meaty, especially when you get into gunfights, feels very visceral and I love it, but from what we've seen, it's kinda hard to deny that Death Stranding won't have superior controls at the very least. Rockstar North et al and Kojima Productions have two different mindsets when it comes to this kinda thing, Rockstar pursued more 'authentic' player movement and input with RDR2 at a sacrifice to responsiveness whereas Kojima Productions is willing to make this area feel a lot more 'gamey' in the pursuit of responsiveness at the sacrifice of 'realism'. Different strokes at the end of the day. I don't think comparing them does us any good as both developers are going for different things. One that makes sense for their own game, design and world.

Last edited:

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Idk the whole thing is confusing to me, I thought MC was a big deal here but even when games get glowing reviews and scores there still what seems to be a big crowd who can't help but tell you the game is garbage or something. Was always confused by the GTA 4 hate too when I lurked.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most divisive all all time? its not even been out a full year,

Death Stranding hasnt even released yet, seriously, its like no one here has ever set foot in a Destiny thread or Youtube comment section, its like a holy war

EVERY

SINGLE

TIME

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Same for me.
And it's about to get even better soon. It was my GOTY last year based on the X version and it'll be my GOTY this year based on the PC and Stadia version.

Is it the game of the generation? Maybe, it's either RDR2 or BOTW, nothing comes close.
And Arthur is the most interesting protagonist in the history of gaming.
The more time passes the more i see how great of an achievement it is.
I play it regularly just to roam around and do sidestuff like the dreamcatcher quest and such. Everytime it is a great experience, because it all is so immersive and dynamic.
It is a cultural product and as such it will stand the test of time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that overblown positivity often engenders overblown negativity in those who didn't love the game.

It's okay to recognise the game as great and even call it one of the best of all time. I think those who didn't enjoy it can't argue with that. But then you get statements like those in this thread implying that those who don't love it didn't finish it, or describing it as "this gen's magnum opus" (whatever that that even means), and it gets those people's backs up and they double down on their criticism.