• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Quiet the worst character design this gem?

• Yes

• Unfortunately not

Results are only viewable after voting.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
But the unconscious effect would result in a conscious feeling of having a worse body image. How else could you establish if someone has a worse body image.
I think you would have to use prospective cohort study design. I really do think the impact of stuff like this is cumulative and takes effect after years of being barraged by this sort of imagery. Plus you'd have to design new testing mechanisms a bit more subtle than outright asking them if they've been negatively impacted by the depiction of women they've seen in media. Otherwise you run into lots of problems with bias (confirmation, framing, attribution).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Redcrayon Hey, RedCrayon.

Couldn't PM you since I couldn't access your profile so I wanted you know I was asking that becuase I thought it would be funny, not sexy.

Just got to put that out there for the record.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I'll do you one better.
mPhQD5B.jpg

I guess this is technically cross-gen but still.

Jesus - WTF is this?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'd consider the current Tifa design successfully "sexy," but some of her framing alongside the mini-skirt and knee-high socks *also* pushes it into pandery territory. If someone doesn't understand or can't admit that's what's going on, that deserves some side-eye. That said, it's in the spirit of [and] an improvement over the old design, and it doesn't cause issues for her actual characterization in the game. The key context there is that *most* characters in the VII Remake setting are glamorous/sexy, male and female alike, so Tifa doesn't stand out as being treated particularly different.

The (negative) counterpart to this is settings where male characters are fairly normal, and have a range of appearances/styles, but any women are restricted to child/doll-like appearances and/or personalities. I enjoy the overall show, but the newest Ghost in the Shell series on Netflix suffers from this.
^^
Oh yeah true, they were definitely not sexualized in any shape or form. Male gamers can't have that as we know.

mobius_final_fantasy.0.0.png
Exactly.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quiet is up there but I feel Xenoblade 2's blades and Pokemon Sword/Shields Swordbert and Shieldernie are equally as bad.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns around objectification

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She is wearing knee high socks (aka japan's favorite fetish), try sparring while wearing knee high socks and see how well it goes, hint : they would come off and tangle your feet in seconds, her new design is in some ways more pandering than her original design, but i do like the sports bra, that was a nice and sensible touch.
I mean yeah, she's also wearing big red boots. I think the modern MMA inspiration is still fairly clear, despite them keeping her sex appeal or pandering to whatever is popular in Japan right now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Might traumatise the people who are blissfully unaware of the fact that Xenoblade is nowhere near the worst.

Here's the main characters of Nights of Azure 2

NoA2_Collage1.png

Believe it or not there's alternate costumes where Aluche(the character on the left wears event less)...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might traumatise the people who are blissfully unaware of the fact that Xenoblade is nowhere near the worst.

Here's the main characters of Nights of Azure 2

NoA2_Collage1.png

Believe it or not there's alternate costumes where Aluche(the character on the left wears event less)...
There is also Fate GO designs that are quiet level but with underage characters

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is also Fate GO designs that are quiet level but with underage characters

Oh man if we are including phone games then Fate is the worst for sure.

Paul Bunyan and Jack the Ripper are the most embarrassing things put to paper and I feel bad every time I see them. There is also no way in hell I can post them here at work, so y'all better google

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Is Torna enjoyable enough as a totally standalone game? The designs in XBC2 were a real turn off but Torna looks a little milder.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
What's fucked up about this character, along with one other in the same game, is that she's really unusual in the context of Resident Evil games.

Revelations 1 is definitely RE at its most anime. I think it was the first (and possibly only) game in the series where they actually recorded the dialogue in Japanese before other languages. The whole presentation style came off like an anime series, and the two female characters it introduced had designs far more ridiculous than anything in the series up to that point.

Claire's and Jill's original designs were a bit heroically idealized, and there have been conversations about Jill's original RE3 design, or some of the fashion choices in other early RE games, but all the characters wore shit you could at least imagine real humans wearing in those situations. Jill, Claire, Rebecca & Co didn't wear ridiculous heels and whatever the fuck those pants are. Ada's the only exception and even she's nowhere near the above pic.

And I think Capcom realized they fucked up with Rev 1 because even Rev 2 walked it back.
Wait she's from Resident Evil, though she was from Saints Row considering how ridiculous the outfit looks, if you put her side by side with the other character from SR you would totally believe they are from the same game

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This takes the cake easily. Kojima at least came up with excuse for Quiet to be barely covered.
Xenoblade 2 has an excuse, the characters are literal living weapons that "Resonate" with their wielders and constantly evolve every time they are invoked. Since they are not technically humans they pretty much have any body they want.

And artists want this voluptous designs, so they can be that way.

Not saying that is a good thing, or even good character design, but the excuse is there.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Oh man if we are including phone games then Fate is the worst for sure.

Paul Bunyan and Jack the Ripper are the most embarrassing things put to paper and I feel bad every time I see them. There is also no way in hell I can post them here at work, so y'all better google
Just checked it out. I thought the Paul Bunyan design looked inoffensive (as far as turning historical characters/figures into anime girls goes) but what the hell were they thinking of with Jack? Never would have guessed that was based on Jack The Ripper.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be a high bar to make character designs that aren't meant to simply be masturbation material. Lot of games still don't clear that bar, as this thread well shows.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
User banned (1 month): Dismissing sexism and objectification
Uhhhh. That's a big big big question to answer. I would recommend doing some google research on objectification of women in video games. There are some great studies out there.

Since I unfortunately don't have the time to go into great detail about how harmful objectifying depictions of women (and men too!), I'll leave you with an anecdotal example. There are plenty of times my girlfriend has been made uncomfortable by the things she sees in video games pertaining to female character design. There have been plenty of times she has looked at me (half-jokingly) and said "do you want me to look like that?" We always laugh it off and continue on our merry way, but it doesn't stop us from groaning every time we see a design like that and there are times where we've avoided games all together because we find the design kind of offensive. My girlfriend has had a lifetime of media defining her gender as not much more than objects of sexual gratification and that has had an impact on her confidence and the way she views herself.

Now I know what's coming... "N=1", "okay but that's not all women", "you can't make a generalization based on that". I agree. But hey, it's an example.

And I haven't even gotten into what could be equally if not more harmful... The effect these kind of designs can have on men and their perception of women. But hey, google is available to you with plenty of answers on that (and not just in video games either).

Well, does buff guys do the same to you, asking her "do you want me to look like that?"?

Just as an example too, I watch with my fiancée every day since quarantine began a very famous anime called Food Wars. I noticed it on cruchyroll and since we started cooking a lot by staying home, it was an easy pick to get some inspiration.
Well, turns out it "objectifies" both men and women constantly (much more the women, sure, because... japan), in every single episode - Xenoblade 2 is sooo tame next to it it's almost cute.

But she laughs her ass off, loves all the girl cast and we even cringe together when it gets too rauchy, then laugh and forget about it - but oh well, it's not like we feel insecure after any of that. And every night she asks for us to watch it. It's funny, it's sexy and gives excellent culinary tips. We started to love it. We even say "shokugeki" to each other when we cook now (a term from the show meaning a contest to see who makes the best dish).

The problem (and only problem) I see here is the imbalance between male and female objectification. There's lots of naked men there, but that's dwarfed by the amount of girls.
That's the problem, imo. Not the girls, but the lack of men.

Other than that, insecurity problems do exist. I just don't think eliminating all that's sexy and juvenile solves that.
Oh, well. We both live in Brazil, and scenes like these are common from birth here, so maybe that's that.

viviane-araujo-rainha-de-bateria-do-salgueiro.jpg

Very similar to many JRPGs designs.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus - WTF is this?
She's Jessica from Resident Evil: Revelations, a game littered with bad character design.

What's fucked up about this character, along with one other in the same game, is that she's really unusual in the context of Resident Evil games.

Revelations 1 is definitely RE at its most anime. I think it was the first (and possibly only) game in the series where they actually recorded the dialogue in Japanese before other languages. The whole presentation style came off like an anime series, and the two female characters it introduced had designs far more ridiculous than anything in the series up to that point.

Claire's and Jill's original designs were a bit heroically idealized, and there have been conversations about Jill's original RE3 design, or some of the fashion choices in other early RE games, but all the characters wore shit you could at least imagine real humans wearing in those situations. Jill, Claire, Rebecca & Co didn't wear ridiculous heels and whatever the fuck those pants are. Ada's the only exception and even she's nowhere near the above pic.

And I think Capcom realized they fucked up with Rev 1 because even Rev 2 walked it back.
So they hired an anime writer to write the story of Revelations. This was something that Capcom actually touted in the lead-up to the game releasing. So it isn't surprising that it turned out the way that it did.

How many plot twists does the Revelations story have? 10? More? Good grief.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It's the worst character design in a game that I played this gen. Her posing on the chopper made me feel really uncomfortable every time we flew into a mission. As soon as I could she was wearing full combat gear to tone it down a little at least...

Oct 26, 2017
Dahlia was already posted so I'll offer Newt as well:

latest

Xenoblade 2 is actually a good game, by the way. Please believe me.
What's frustrating about this design is that it's actually really cool. Then they took her god damned clothes away and shit all over it. What the fuck were they thinking.

The one advantage of Quiet is that she's not underage.

maxresdefault.jpg

yikes
This one is also terrible. It breaks my immersion in the game, because I'm constantly wondering why the fuck she has Carmen as her Persona, and why the fuck she wears this outfit. The guys all get outfits they think are cool and speaks to them...not her. Slutty cat! I am playing the game now, and was so glad that I could change her costume. Sadly, I still had to go through her awakening scene with boob physics.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Tifa wears shorts, is a waitress, is in incredibly shape and a martial artist. Someone like that doesn't wear armor. She's just dressing in what looks to be her daily clothes. Why can't she wear whatever she likes?
Y'all can be so weird when it comes to sex.
Yeah. My SO is fit has abs and likes to wear similar styled tops in summer. I guess I have to tell her she can't.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You know what, here's all the shitty Xenoblade 2 designs. Judge for yourself:

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest
Yes, there are three Blades in the game that use the "1,000 year old dragon" archetype.

Honestly, Praxis and Theory are even worse than Dahlia as they're clearly intended to be loli bait.

By the way, the characterisation of all of the above blades except for maybe two are terrible - to the point that it's clear that they were designed as fetish fuel first and an actual character second.

found the 14 worst designs this gen

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Also for the folks who are saying "aghhhh you guys are sticks in the mud, just let folks make sexy designs! everything is going to be so boring!!"

Aren't you kind of tired of stereotypical objectifying designs? Every woman in video games looks the same... Big eyes, perfectly sculpted proportions, and clothing design that focuses on drawing attention to the character's sexuality. Do you never tire of the same design philosophy over and over again? You don't want to see women (and heck, men too) of different shapes and sizes? Wearing clothes that you don't usually see them wear? Just to change things up?

When I look at a lot of female character design... I just get bored.

The problem is that these people can't picture a world where you could design an interesting female character without HEAVY sexualization. For them, women are only useful if they are titillating. It is an honestly disgusting take that you see far too frequently.

Yeah. My SO is fit has abs and likes to wear similar styled tops in summer. I guess I have to tell her she can't.

This is a false equivalency that is used far too frequently. It isn't the smoking gun that you think it is. What someone chooses to wear is far different from how a designer chooses to depict a character. Your significant other is an autonomous being, a character designed for titillation is not. Far too frequently the only depiction of women in games is sexually objectifying. That shit needs to stop.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
This one is also terrible. It breaks my immersion in the game, because I'm constantly wondering why the fuck she has Carmen as her Persona, and why the fuck she wears this outfit. The guys all get outfits they think are cool and speaks to them...not her. Slutty cat! I am playing the game now, and was so glad that I could change her costume. Sadly, I still had to go through her awakening scene with boob physics.
Mandatory reminder that in the Persona 5 Artbook, it was stated that Ann is not wearing her phantom outfit by her own volition. Game director Katsura Hashino just simply thought that it would be "cute" if Ann was embarrassed by her metaverse getup.

EDIT: Neither Makoto or Yusuke are fond of their respective phantom uniforms either, so Ann is not the only one.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Well, does buff guys do the same to you, asking her "do you want me to look like that?"?

Just as an example too, I watch with my fiancée every day since quarantine began a very famous anime called Food Wars. I noticed it on cruchyroll and since we started cooking a lot by staying home, it was an easy pick to get some inspiration.
Well, turns out it "objectifies" both men and women constantly (much more the women, sure, because... japan), in every single episode - Xenoblade 2 is sooo tame next to it it's almost cute.

But she laughs her ass off, loves all the girl cast and we even cringe together when it gets too rauchy, then laugh and forget about it - but oh well, it's not like we feel insecure after any of that. And every night she asks for us to watch it. It's funny, it's sexy and gives excellent culinary tips. We started to love it. We even say "shokugeki" to each other when we cook now (a term from the show meaning a contest to see who makes the best dish).

The problem (and only problem) I see here is the imbalance between male and female objectification. There's lots of naked men there, but that's dwarfed by the amount of girls.
That's the problem, imo. Not the girls, but the lack of men.

Other than that, insecurity problems do exist. I just don't think eliminating all that's sexy and juvenile solves that.
Oh, well. We both live in Brazil, and scenes like these are common from birth here, so maybe that's that.

viviane-araujo-rainha-de-bateria-do-salgueiro.jpg

Very similar to many JRPGs designs.
Yeah cultural context and upbringing can absolutely play a role. My girlfriend and I primarily grew up in the states so we already have a problematic relationship with sexuality lol. As to your question about whether or not seeing buff dudes all the time in media makes me feel insecure... Yeah, it kinda does. I mean, in one way it can be kind of good cause it motivates me to work out more, but it's kind of a bummer to not see folks that are more representative of me (both in color and body shape) given starring roles in tentpole media. I don't know if "objectify everyone!" is immediately the answer, but I think it's more that folks are just asking for a greater variety in body and fashion design. Having folks that are heavier, skinnier, a different color, or a different race and dress differently than what we usually see are what we need to strive for.

Having a badass female warrior in full armor that doesn't have boob plate or exposed midriff doesn't suddenly make all the big-titty anime girls disappear, it just gives folks more options as to what kind of media they want to see and pursue. When we are bombarded with the same type of sexualised design again and again and again, I don't think it's too much of a stretch that people begin to accept that as the new norm. And when you establish that fair-skinned, big breasted, petite waisted girls who don't ever wear anything more than a bikini before going to battle and would never dare to actually comment on their own sexuality and be comfortable with it are the norm... I think that excludes a lot of folks.

Sure, I bet most people are absolutely able to separate reality from fiction, but I think fiction absolutely has the capability to shape our perspective and view of the world. Right now, media's portrayal of men and women are definitely skewed in very specific directions. I propose that we do as you say, "balance". Not just balance in terms of gender representation, but balance in terms of our design sensibilities. If we can get as many practically designed and clothed woman and men as we do the ridiculous designs in this thread, then I'd probably finally shut up about all this. Cause that day, me and my girlfriend can sit down and know that we have just as many choices that cater to us as there things that cater to the current status quo.