• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Quiet the worst character design this gem?

• Yes

• Unfortunately not

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
If Arieth can wear a dress in that same dangerous slum world why can't Tifa wear a sports bra and shorts as a martial artist

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
In a thread where Quiet ans Xenoblade Characters are the top contenders, this is really unfair.

It doesn't even have to be about her being a bartender. It looks to me like a normal sportswear for someone who's a martial artist.

Her cowboy outfit is undeniably sexist and cringy, though. And it looks like they're keeping it in the remake.

How is a cowgirl outfit cringy and sexist?

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Sexualized designs I get but Tifa is just some normal ass girl in the city, I don't understand how this even comes up

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I feel like it's often not mentioned that Quiet goes through attempted rape and torture with the cutscene camera focusing in on her breasts while she's getting electrocuted and drowned.

It's probably the most misogynistic portrayal of a woman in any game. Can't speak, wears the ridiculous outfit in a combat zone, gives sexually gratuitous animations in the helicopter and the bath scene and the rain scene, and then on top of all that, her torture and attempted rape is heavily sexualized for the player. It's pretty sick when you think about it. Also, this is the *only* characterized woman in the entire game among a host of dudes.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But... do the real life midriffs regularly go toe to toe with squadrons of armed soldiers and mechanized kill bots?
She doesn't need armor if she's not planning on getting hit. She's physically stronger and faster than most of the characters. Like in other games, the "thief/rogue/fast character" wears fabric and the slow soldiers wear armor....because they're slow. It's a speed thing. You wouldn't ask an mma fighter, martial artist or wrestler to wear armor either.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Look at these women martial artists wearing inappropriate attire.

highlights_ronda_rousey_vs_bethe_correia-1.gif

lmao if this is what you got about this.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Within the context of the game is pretty out there, design wise its not even bad though, just very unnecessary. Plenty more games this gen have way worse designs

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Also for the folks who are saying "aghhhh you guys are sticks in the mud, just let folks make sexy designs! everything is going to be so boring!!"

Aren't you kind of tired of stereotypical objectifying designs? Every woman in video games looks the same... Big eyes, perfectly sculpted proportions, and clothing design that focuses on drawing attention to the character's sexuality. Do you never tire of the same design philosophy over and over again? You don't want to see women (and heck, men too) of different shapes and sizes? Wearing clothes that you don't usually see them wear? Just to change things up?

When I look at a lot of female character design... I just get bored.
Well that's why Aloy was a good new design. Not a huge fan of the game, but more unique for her look and definitely not sexualized.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Tifa is a normal looking design. Yes, she'd get some looks in the real world but at the end of the day it's nothing too outrageous.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also for the folks who are saying "aghhhh you guys are sticks in the mud, just let folks make sexy designs! everything is going to be so boring!!"

Aren't you kind of tired of stereotypical objectifying designs? Every woman in video games looks the same... Big eyes, perfectly sculpted proportions, and clothing design that focuses on drawing attention to the character's sexuality. Do you never tire of the same design philosophy over and over again? You don't want to see women (and heck, men too) of different shapes and sizes? Wearing clothes that you don't usually see them wear? Just to change things up?

When I look at a lot of female character design... I just get bored.
I'd say we're seeing a whole lot of variety in recent years unless you're exclusively playing japanese games

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Tifa by their world's standard is considered a normal human just like Barret and she lives in a grimy city environment. Yet here she is on the battlefield navel exposed dressed like a big breasted Hooters waitress. Look at how she is dressed compared to the rest of her teammates and you should understand how ridiculous she looks fighting in that. FF7 is a fantasy world but there is a degree of it being grounded in reality in its design that you see with Barret, the rest on Avalanche, and even Cloud.
LMAO, get out of here with this shit. I get what you're trying to get at, but to say she's one of the worst designed characters is laughable and pathetic.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In all seriousness Tifa, more so than any of the examples named ITT, actually follows the rules of good character design, in spite of her being fanservicy. She's by default nowhere near the worst as a result. but guys, no need to get defensive, it's ok to like Tifa but let's not pretend that they didn't know exactly what they were doing with some of the camera work:
ff7-remake-whatll-it-be-something-hard-not-in-the-mood.jpg

I'd say we're seeing a whole lot of variety in recent years unless you're exclusively playing japanese games
We're only now seeing variety because people spoke up in the first place.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Does it? She is not wearing any form of protection (aside from a random wrist guard) in a dangerous violent slum in a world filled with monsters.
But... do the real life midriffs regularly go toe to toe with squadrons of armed soldiers and mechanized kill bots?

These characters aren't at risk of getting chopped in half and having their guts spilled out or getting their arms chopped limbs chopped off. They have Hit points and if they fall in battle its because their HP reach zero not because they got a traumatic brain injury or lost a ton of blood. They are resurrected with revival magic and can shoot fire and call down lightning bolts. They don't have to wear armor. Their defense is based on a bangle and an accessory for gods sake. In the real world there are no monsters to fight or mechanized bots. Its a fantasy world.... The game is literally called Final FANTASY people. There can be fantastical elements.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'll say this about Tifa though, while I think her clothes are fine, the camera does it's best to centre her boobs in the middle of the screen whenever it can.

Like it's not the costume that's the problem but more shots like this:
tenor.gif

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
lmao if this is what you got about this.
How is it not? You and others are complaining about Tifa being sexualized because she's wearing shorts and a shirt that shows her belly button, claiming it's "not appropriate attire to fight in" (in a game where Aerith and, soon, a person in a mascot costume are members of the main party). He posted that to highlight that that particular argument isn't exactly as airtight as you all are trying to make it seem, although pretty sardonically...

It's probably the most misogynistic portrayal of a woman in any game. Can't speak, wears the ridiculous outfit in a combat zone, gives sexually gratuitous animations in the helicopter and the bath scene and the rain scene, and then on top of all that, her torture and attempted rape is heavily sexualized for the player.
This is a REALLY good post...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
no one dresses like Cloud either whether they're a regular person or a soldier. It's unrealistic clothes in an unrealistic setting. I'm sorry she's not wearing a big ass astronaut suit or a giant armor.
The difference is Cloud is wearing an unrealistic jumper and trousers, whereas Tifa had been changed to be in thigh-high stockings to fit into generic, templated, objectified female character design 101. Here's her original design. It's pretty obvious what was changed in order to fit into modern JRPG character templates.
en.m.wikipedia.org

Tifa Lockhart - Wikipedia

Still nowhere near as bad as Quiet or XB2 though.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I'd agree it has gotten better. But yes, a lot of Japanese games still suffer from really homogeneous designs and even in Western titles, I feel like the protagonists of games tend not to vary too much (with some exceptions) and the more interesting designs are relegated to side characters.
We're only now seeing variety because people spoke up in the first place.
And that's why we gotta keep speaking up! I guess it's nice to see the balling rolling in the right direction but we still have a long way to go.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
We've also been forgetting about dragons crown too.
No because that's last gen :P

Why on earth is Tifa bad, in fact how is she even remotely sexualized with that design; that's the same getup personal trainers, joggers, athletes, etc use, why is a street martial artist wearing that considered skimpy?

Never understood this
I don't really mind Tifa and IMO she's far from the worst and is nothing compared to Quiet but... this is very silly. "Street martial artists" don't wear mini skirts and knee-high socks. Tifa was designed to be sexy, not realistic for her job. Let's be real here.

Look at these women martial artists wearing inappropriate attire.

highlights_ronda_rousey_vs_bethe_correia-1.gif
This would be a great gotcha if we saw Tifa perform in the ring. Alas, it's just a shitpost.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this about Tifa though, while I think her clothes are fine, the camera does it's best to centre her boobs in the middle of the screen whenever it can.

Like it's not the costume that's the problem but more shots like this:
tenor.gif

I'm 35 hours into the game to chapter 14 and I did remember this part earlier in the game. The entire game doesn't consist of shots like this though. That's a blatant lie.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, her design is really fucking terrible. I gave up on MGS5 after I saw some of the gifs of her in the rain and stretching in the helicopter and shit. Absolutely disgusting. XB2 is the only other big game I was excited to try before seeing the terrible sexist designs and changing my mind.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: trolling
It's been months since I played Pokemon.

Did the guy with the sword haircut's hair wobble when he moved? Someone please say yes.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Quiet is a contender for most ridiculous/terrible design this gen if we're only looking at AAA games (and she truly is a perverted trainwreck of a design). If we expand the scope to all games this gen, well... There are a lot of terrible designs in the race for that crown unfortunately.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And that's why we gotta keep speaking up! I guess it's nice to see the balling rolling in the right direction but we still have a long way to go.
Exactly.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. But this idea that every female videogame character is sexualised doesn't really hold true. In that landscape it should be okay to still have sexualised characters here and there.
The history of video games dictates that this gen is a very big exception to the rule. Getting more variety now doesn't mean people shouldn't speak their minds when another one of the former status quo shows up. Especially because that status quo has only changed in some places and not others.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa worse than Quiet or some of the other designs posted in this thread? R-Really?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How is it not? You and others are complaining about Tifa being sexualized because she's wearing shorts and a shirt that shows her belly button, claiming it's "not appropriate attire to fight in" (in a game where Aerith and, soon, a person in a mascot costume are members of the main party). He posted that to highlight that that particular argument isn't exactly as airtight as you all are trying to make it seem, although pretty sardonically...

Because two points, first, an MMA fight in a closed prepared stage and fighting around all over the world in different unsafe areas and situations and enemies, including weapons , monsters and shit, is totally diferent.

And second, boxers also wear nothing but shorts. People arguing about Cloud having an inpractical outfit but the point is that, as always, man = bulky, woman = sexualized (because no, Tifa's outfit is not the same as an MMA fighter).

I want to be clear, because people are already thinking the worst, Tifa is BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR no comparable to the shit that is Quiet or the Xenoblade designs, but it can't be denied it's a sexualized design, I just commented about how I wish she had pants because Remake has that shitty Zettai thing and that I hate and shit escalated quickly.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Reading a lot here, but shouldn't we demand applying "logic" everywhere in videogames then? Not just on outfits?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tifa is bad but Quiet is something else. I love MGS V but what a complete joke that was.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That not how skorts work, she is very clearly wearing a leather micro skirt with shorts as underpants.

It's just a bad lazy ass fanservice design.

Tifa is an awesome martial artist, i think it's a bummer they didn't give her a outfit that makes sense for a tough as nails bartending asskicker.

On one hand you are right but on the other square Enix skorts would be far more scandalous

KWpNUDT.jpg

But I digress

Compared to the other offenders in this thread Tifa might as well be completely covered up because she is very tame in comparison. I'm not saying she is perfect, but do I think she is far from the worst design this gen. (And she isn't even this gen when it comes down to it lol)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, dont get it either. It's pretty tame.
Just kinda fun/eccentric really.

EVLsg00UcAA0Bwu.jpg

But that's a straight up Halloween "sexy cowgirl" costume.

Her normal outfit looks like something you'd see someone jogging in (skirt aside), that cowgirl costume looks like something you'd wear only see someone wear on a Halloween party.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Tifa aint the worst. I don't even think she's bad. I'd go as far as to say she's pretty alright.
But let's not act like she's high art or something. She's a beautiful girl with large breasts and a mini skirt. For a lot of people that's more than enough but it's aint exactly a MASTER CLASS of character design as some seem to think.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Imagine trashtalking Remake Tifa. Perfect redesign. As everyone in that game.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Ok - I live in San Diego, lots of bartenders around here wear more revealing outfits than Tifa. Literally ass cheeks showing out of their shorts. Midriffs exposed. Lots of people out here spend a lot of time working out and getting in shape and they like to show it off. Its not uncommon. Seems like you don't get out much if you think nobody dresses sexy for their job in the service industry.

Tifas design makes sense in her world and for her character. It is certainly sexy but that does not make it a bad design.
Yeah tbh if you put some shorts on her instead of the skirt, then she just looks dressed like every other woman working out during warm weather in SoCal, except with gloves and boots.

Why Cloud or Barret or Cid don't wear shorts?

Because it makes sense for what they do. The only one not making sense is Tifa.

Cloud wears a turtle neck and Barret wears a vest and an undershirt.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Reading a lot here, but shouldn't we demand applying "logic" everywhere in videogames then? Not just on outfits?
I think I lean harder on misogynistic, fetishistic, and objectifying designs made by men for the male gaze rather than "hey how come his sword floats on his back like that" because the former can be actively harmful and have a negative effect on people's perception of body image and sexuality.