• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Quiet the worst character design this gem?

• Yes

• Unfortunately not

Results are only viewable after voting.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Character design was bad, character dialogue was worse. Just ask her Pa Pa.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does the 3DS still count as "this gen"? Because Resident Evil: Revelaitons.

conanoevil.jpg

Rachel-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Blind-Blonde.jpg

resident-evil-revelations-quint-cetcham-keith-lumley-wallpaper.jpg

2524895-jessica%20sherawat.jpg

b3yfpok8ac421.jpg

latest

I finished Revelations and I still have no idea if they ever explained that one lady's intense fringe

I assumed it was a mutation but they show her with it beforehand so?????

And yeah I'll never forget whatshername going into the freezing cold with one leg out

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Right? Cyber Sleuth is obviously an attempt at a Persona-style Digimon game and I'm glad it was successful enough to show there are people interested in the games of the franchise, but I wish they would get rid of the incessant pandering and objectification.
But knowing there is a scene in Hacker's Memory that is even more gross than that one, I have no faith in them.
What scene is that? I played both games but this scene in question escapes me

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Someone spoil me, I barely played 5 hours of MGSV because I didn't like it.

Why WOULD I be ashamed of my words and deeds regarding Quiet?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's out of place and the reasoning behind it makes no sense. It's also really sexualized. But as a design it's not bad at all. Probably one of the best looking female characters this gen.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What scene is that? I played both games but this scene in question escapes me
The scene where Erika is attacked by her mini-Eaters, as if they're physically fusing with her. One of them goes specifically between her legs.

It's very suggestive and actually even rape-y, so I thought it was too much to post alongside Yuuko's scene.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the greatest movie auteurs treated women like shit. They're not mutually exclusive.
I meant people wouldn't take him as seriously if he admitted to putting cheese in his games.

Any auteur director today wouldn't be taken seriously if they wrote and filmed their women to be like Megan Fox in Transformers.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
After thinking about it a bit, I'm kinda surprised Tifa isn't in here. The crazy proportions have always been part of her design, but it sticks out even more in 2020, and especially when you compare her to Aerith or Jessie.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The Quiet explanation never made sense to me. They have superweapon mechs but couldn't come up with an in universe explanation for a (literally) breathable fabric material for her base design? It's quite obvious what they were going for.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
For the people claiming they wished Kojima would just be honest, he actually did originally say the reason for Quiet's design was basically for fan service.

He got a lot of flak for that reasoning which is what led him to backtrack with the words and deeds comment.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
For all is worth the character in-game doesn't have her spine broken, the original person who made the tweet it for some reason decided to make her model glitch out before taking the photo, of course that doesn't stop it from being really bad design considering that the same artist also made a more modest one

latest

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
"No" but a simple no isn't option in the poll.

The Sword and Shield villains to me

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the worst treated characters in general, the design itself isn't that bad on it's own.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Someone spoil me, I barely played 5 hours of MGSV because I didn't like it.

Why WOULD I be ashamed of my words and deeds regarding Quiet?

She suffered burn injuries at the start of the game, and the organization she worked for gave her parasites to survive/enhance her:

Due to her injuries, the parasites compensated for her burned epidermis, giving her the ability to 'breathe' through her skin, requiring her to wear as little clothes as possible, as covering her skin would suffocate her.

Oh, and the parasites are contagious via vocal communications, so after joining you she never talks out of fear of infecting everyone

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes then quickly changed my answer when I remembered that Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exist. So many people on this very forum defend these garbage designs too.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah she was pretty bad, but mostly because of how stupidly fanservicey it was, almost every design in xenoblade chronicles 2 is bottom tier anime trash, i actually put the game down because i couldn't cope with the awful character designs.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess at least she has a design. Some of the Modern Warfare Operators are some of the worst most generic looking army people ive ever seen. Some of the worst skins to try to give them character too. Just an unbelievably awful effort at making characters for a studio that has such a high budget.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She suffered burn injuries at the start of the game, and the organization she worked for gave her parasites to survive/enhance her:

Oh, and the parasites are contagious via vocal communications, so after joining you she never talks out of fear of infecting everyone

And she forgets she can write things down to communicate until late in the game

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Nowi and Camilla from Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates respectively are gross. The Fire Emblem franchise was on track to having the most abominations in Nintendo's library until Xenoblade 2 happened.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The scene where Erika is attacked by her mini-Eaters, as if they're physically fusing with her. One of them goes specifically between her legs.

It's very suggestive and actually even rape-y, so I thought it was too much to post alongside Yuuko's scene.
That's so disgusting. I can't believe Bandai Namco finds shit like that appropriate

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
User Banned (3 Months): Sexist trolling and derailing over a series of posts, admitting to trolling in a follow-up post. Prior related bans.
latest

Tifa by their world's standard is considered a normal human just like Barret and she lives in a grimy city environment. Yet here she is on the battlefield navel exposed dressed like a big breasted Hooters waitress. Look at how she is dressed compared to the rest of her teammates and you should understand how ridiculous she looks fighting in that. FF7 is a fantasy world but there is a degree of it being grounded in reality in its design that you see with Barret, the rest on Avalanche, and even Cloud.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Quiet's design is lame, but there's been a plethora of butt ugly designs this game.

Personally I can forgive a lot about excessive sexualization if the design otherwise looks cool. But most of the examples in this thread look fucking dumb. Xenoblade 2 being a prime example. I think a lot of designers think that as long as a design follows basic design principles like having a distinct silhouette and semi-readable actions, they can otherwise just throw the book out and do whatever the hell they want. And on top of that they let their libidos do most of the conceptualization.

Oh look another Xenoblade Chronicles 2 thread where people complain about the same three designs like every time. Dahlia was even designed by Risa Ebata a woman and is suppose to be rabbit which why her design makes a ton of sense.

The vast majority of the Blades look like shit. There's like 2 good ones and 3 decent ones out of the bunch.

I thought Nico from DMC5 was way worse. Nothing about her makes sense and her mannerisms when crafting are really over-the-top given the rest of her portrayal.

And, yeah, anime games.

Nico never actually crafts anything on screen in DMC5 though. And I'd say really-over-the-top mannerisms are on brand considering her braggy personality and supernatural driving skill. Her being a larger than life character despite being human makes sense considering she lives in a universe full of larger-than-life characters.

Hey, they can't all be Ryus, Akumas, Sakuras, Chun-Lis and Rashids. Uggos need representation too. <3

I just wish SF would introduce some ugly or shriveled old prune female chars for once.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
latest

Tifa by their world's standard is considered a normal human just like Barret and she lives in a grimy city environment. Yet here she is on the battlefield navel exposed dressed like a big breasted Hooters waitress. Look at how she is dressed compared to the rest of her teammates and you should understand how ridiculous she looks fighting in that. FF7 is a fantasy world but there is a degree of it being grounded in reality in its design that you see with Barret, the rest on Avalanche, and even Cloud.

Yeah tifas design is really bad, in a game with pretty strong character design overall she always stood out like a sore thumb, they didn't even try with her, "we need some tna fanservice, just give her a tight top to cover her melon sized breasts and a micro skirt for literally no reason at all, oh and some badly fitting red boots", at least the gave the poor girl a sports bra in the remake.

Last edited:

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
We obviously needed a tanooki character for the men
WaaCruk.gif

Wait, exactly which part of them are they spreading here? 😂...

Nah it doesnt beat JRPG characters
Yeah, this thread is odd. There is an ALARMING number of Japanese games with characters that out-perv AND outdo Quiet in terms of character design. The XB2 characters are such obvious examples (who often manage to have WAY too much going on everywhere except the crotch and boob area), so are the Code Vein characters and costumes. Skimpiness isn't the ONLY determining factor in regards to judging character design, but of course, this is Resetera *eyeroll*...

Quiet also has this weird, droopy, Josh Peck-like face that just kinda creeps me out as well. They were going for "sexy" and wound up with literally a walking bra. Might not be the WORST character design but it sure is in the running for "the dumbest"...

latest

Tifa by their world's standard is considered a normal human just like Barret and she lives in a grimy city environment. Yet here she is on the battlefield navel exposed dressed like a big breasted Hooters waitress. Look at how she is dressed compared to the rest of her teammates a
Tifa never actually DRESSES for battle, tho? I mean, you're comparing her get-up to that of soldiers, mercenaries, terrorists, a ninja, etc...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'd say so. Surprised at the poll though, didn't realize how much shit some people had waded through this gen.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Dismissing sexism and objectification
Resetera would make the most boring character designers.

Jan 10, 2018
In terms of how her design is put into context in the game then yes, probably. I don't think I've felt more embarrassed by a character in a video game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
latest

fucking WHY is SE incapable of giving her pants? They go around the stupid skirt from the original design by adding fucking high socks that are the most fetishized anime thing ever. Goddamn give her pants already.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
latest

Tifa's design is fucking impeccable. She is a bartender remember. Avalanche is her side job. She is also extremely fit and well trained so why wouldn't she want to show off those toned abs? The only thing I don't really care for are the massive boots - kind of remind me of Osiris shoes - but everyone in that world is wearing them so it fits. But yeah - Tifa is athletic as fuck and she is young and can kick anyones ass and seems like she isn't shy about showing it off.