• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I feel he's more of a repetitive setpiece.

In terms of stop-watchers (Sonic, Fox Quicksilver, and Flash) Snyder's Flash is the best, not only great visuals but everything around "Entering the Speed-Force" accommodates his arc. A shame the actor's portrayal and mannerisms are rubbish.

From "common" speedsters, Incredibles 1's Dash and MCU Quicksilver are the best for an ensemble, their powers make sense, and there was some tension around the use of their powers. Hopefully we see more of these, and Sonic 2 is closer to his race against Eggman than the rest time-stopping shenanigans.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's great.

Though Faora is still my favorite depiction of super speed in combat
mGAweo.gif

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hot take but I still prefer MCU's Quicksilver over Fox Quicksilver or Snyder Flash, for the simple fact that...he's....you know....fast.

All these slomo sequences were cool at first, but now it's old. I want to see momentum and shit disappearing and reappearing to convey their insane speed. I'm not interested in seeing life frozen to glacial pace and a character wandering comfortably around the scenery. Hell, even MCU Flash's slomo scene in Klaw's warehouse was fast compared to the others.
I agree with this.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was an interesting take. Sort of "what everyone else sees" when Quicksilver is doing his thing.

If you think there's a way to do a scene like this without slow motion, go for it. You could get the effect, but you'd never get the how.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Fox Quicksilver scenes are among my top Speedster scenes from movies and/or shows. Snyder Flash is..... Okay. I would have preferred more Speed Force abilities from Snyder Flash that depicted how fast Snyder Flash is besides what happened at the end.

I don't dislike how some folks portray how Speedsters move from the audience's view. Everything should be slowed down tremendously or frozen in time because of how fast they are moving. It does get boring when that's all there is to show how fast a Speedster is tho.

I would much prefer something like..... A Speedster is moving so fast that it appears like they're in multiple places at once or creating Speed Mirages. Another good indicator of their speed would be that they're moving so fast it looks like they're teleporting across a room or something. But I think my major issue is that some of the time it's just a Speedster moving fast when they could do more with their powers?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Zack Snyder's Justice League. Both his intro with saving Iris and THAT scene toward the end of the movie. Its worth the watch, at least for skimming thru if you don't care about the movie.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I have with Snyder Flash is the weird running movement with squiggly arms and the stance he does when he's getting ready with twisty wrist and fingers. Otherwise it was generally very well done and he does have the most narratively awesome scene.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
The only problem I have with Snyder Flash is the weird running movement with flopping arms and the stance he does when he's getting ready with twisty wrist and fingers. Otherwise it was generally very well done and he does have the most narratively awesome scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong by Snyder mentioned the reason for that was because in his vision he saw super speed as swimming.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Are they really enjoyable to watch? Hell Yes.

Is it a good (let alone best) realization of speedster power? Nope. It makes you feel like everything is slow versus him feeling fast.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong by Snyder mentioned the reason for that was because in his vision he saw super speed as swimming.
I don't know if he thought that. But it looks really silly to be honest.

He also said that Barry can't carry other people around etc cause he would burn them up or hurt them cause it's just physics. But the whole point of Flash is that he runs so fast that laws of physics start breaking dow , and it's true even for Snyder ver because Barry himself says so.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Up until yesterday before I saw Snyder cut, yes.

The way Snyder cut's version of Flash is realized is more in keeping with being respectful towards the laws of physics, i.e. he understands that typically moving others with the same acceleration he does would be lethal and so his interactions are tailored accordingly.

Thought this was an interesting take. Sort of "what everyone else sees" when Quicksilver is doing his thing.

If you think there's a way to do a scene like this without slow motion, go for it. You could get the effect, but you'd never get the how.

Yeah, this exactly. That's why I liked Fox's take on QS. (But I am the kind of person who loves to see how things are "done")

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah nah nah. Flash from Snyder Cut has anyone beat by far. Saving Iris, Saving the people from the debris and the final Flash scene at the end. That one in particular was mindblowing.

I cant wait for the Flash movie. Ezra was amazing.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think the best scene with Snyder's Flash, in terms of how I'd prefer to see speedsters portrayed, is the moment where
Superman sees Flash running and while he is fighting the rest of the Justice League, because other than being a cool moment that shows that Superman can perceive his speed and move fast himself (even if I guess Flash is faster), it has Flash move in a way in the scene that maintains his momentum even while they are both slowed down, where they are moving at different speeds, but Flash isn't just zipping around Superman like Fox Quicksilver would (or most speedsters in most other scenes, if we are being honest, including Snyder's Flash in some other scenes), but he seems to only slightly be able to perceive Superman's movements a little faster and react a little before Superman moves.

This isn't like how most speedster slow motion moments are played since it is usually shown that everyone and everything else is slow while the speedster is moving a normal speed to the audience or just generally unaffected by the slow down, and therefore not exactly affected by the laws of physics the same way, but in this scene, both Superman and Flash are moving slow but their movements have inertia, they are just still moving faster than everyone else.

That is basically the sort of approach I wish that every speedster slow motion scene would be treated with.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah nah nah. Flash from Snyder Cut has anyone beat by far. Saving Iris, Saving the people from the debris and the final Flash scene at the end. That one in particular was mindblowing.

I cant wait for the Flash movie. Ezra was amazing.
I loved that he is still vulnerable, you can trip him up or injure him.

Snyder flash is my favorite and before this was fox quicksilver

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take but I still prefer MCU's Quicksilver over Fox Quicksilver or Snyder Flash, for the simple fact that...he's....you know....fast.

All these slomo sequences were cool at first, but now it's old. I want to see momentum and shit disappearing and reappearing to convey their insane speed. I'm not interested in seeing life frozen to glacial pace and a character wandering comfortably around the scenery. Hell, even MCU Flash's slomo scene in Klaw's warehouse was fast compared to the others.

Same here, at least between the Quicksilvers. Age of Ultron really cements the fact that Quicksilver's power is just moving really fast, and while he gets some slow-mo spots to show his reflexes the movie not only keeps him grounded like that but finds different ways of showing it off. Fox Quicksilver meanwhile borderline stops time for his sequences, which while really cool-looking are also completely OP and result in him being confined to these particular moments.

It at least makes sense for Flash because Speed Force is bullshit, and JL like other adaptations nails the speed difference between him and Superman. Quicksilver meanwhile isn't supposed to be moving FTL.

I think the MCU has been pretty smart about nerfing characters. It gives them more storytelling opportunities. The only nerf I've questioned is Hulk.

At least by Endgame the nerfing makes sense for Hulk because Professor Hulk is canonically weaker than Regular Hulk - his powers are tied to his anger, and Professor Hulk is just too rational to tap into it the way the literal rage machine can.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
Fox Quicksilver scenes are:
-Funny
-Over-powered - What he's doing is tantamount to teleportation. In fact even more OP just based on his coverage of the entire mansion. Nightcrawler couldn't have done what he did.
-Non-sensical - The part that irks me the most is how, in the midst of a field of exploding debris slowly expanding, he's able to toss people through a window, and those tosses are faster than the speed of the blast. He's throwing stuff and people at a speed faster than a bullet. Isn't that like a secondary power then? He can throw 800MPH fastballs at villains all day long. Even Thanos wouldn't stand a chance against that.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In syndercut:
I liked the parademon that can aim in super speed and hit flash running near the speed of light
Now that is true power, where is his medal.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I don't know if he thought that. But it looks really silly to be honest.

He also said that Barry can't carry other people around etc cause he would burn them up or hurt them cause it's just physics. But the whole point of Flash is that he runs so fast that laws of physics start breaking dow , and it's true even for Snyder ver because Barry himself says so.

True. I think at this point I don't really mind each person's perception of different characters. I'm not 100% where I heard it but thought it was very clever. Something to do with running that fast and air becomes almost solid so waving his hands in front of him breaking the solid air and helps him run faster.

I could be chatting complete baloney and combined a fan theory but I thought that was an interesting way of perceiving Barry's speed and the enviroment around him.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about on screen but superspeed has always been my favourite superpower and I loved the time quicksilver explains how annoying it is when he has such speed and everyone else doesn't, just to function in normal life where everyone is doing basic daily stuff at normal human speed and you have to wait for them while the same time for them is agony of waiting for you. I'd be super pissed and angry too with dealing with that forever.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
He is legit the reason I was lowkey disappointed in...(MCU Spoilers)

Wandavision. Moment I saw him I was hoping for a moment like that and when it turned out to be a big nothing I felt so let down. Like, if he was at least the same dude I'd have been okay with it still, but the casting feels like the equivalent to click bait and I irrationally got upset lol [\spoiler]

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The best depiction of super speed on film is Dash running on water in The Incredibles, and nothing else even really understands the concept. If you're using SLOW motion to depict super SPEED you've already screwed up. Whenever you see these goddamn speedsters in superhero movies they're always moving in slow motion; it's just a fundamental misunderstanding of how to depict the power.

Seeing something go fast on film is an amazing rush. It's why the great Hong Kong action classics are still so visually arresting after all these years, because nobody can move like that any more in modern cinema. The Dash scene in The Incredibles still makes my heart race, makes me want to leap out of my chair and run all my nervous energy out like an over-excited toddler. Absolutely BLISTERING scene, and no slow motion. Brad Bird the GOAT.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
-Non-sensical - The part that irks me the most is how, in the midst of a field of exploding debris slowly expanding, he's able to toss people through a window, and those tosses are faster than the speed of the blast. He's throwing stuff and people at a speed faster than a bullet. Isn't that like a secondary power then? He can throw 800MPH fastballs at villains all day long. Even Thanos wouldn't stand a chance against that.
This is the one thing about speedsters that's not non sensical, cause of Lorentz Factor (basically properties of an object, like mass etc changes relative to speed). It's basically the same idea behind Flash's infinite mass punch.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I enjoyed the Xmen Quicksilver scenes, and the Flash in Justice League is well realised too power wise. The MCU will have forever blown it regarding Quicksilver and super speed, lazy, uninspiring.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like someone hasn't watched Zacks Justice League. Power level wise, how can you beat
turning back time?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Even though it's CW and CW budget, I think the Flash show does it well when you divorce from the stupid moments. You have slo-mo, motion blurs and smears, as well as just blipping out of scene.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That is exactly how extreme speed and time works though.

Maybe I'm too stupid, but why does time seem to stop for him, when he js standing around? When he is running I get it, but I don't understand why time would stop or move super slowly when he is just standing around and not moving

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm too stupid, but why does time seem to stop for him, when he js standing around? When he is running I get it, but I don't understand why time would stop or move super slowly when he is just standing around and not moving
Because your perceptions have to be able to keep up with how fast you're capable of moving, otherwise you'd splat into things.

Someone with super speed would have super reaction times whether or not they're moving super fast, just like you walking slow as shit doesn't impede your ability to catch a baseball thrown at you.

But comic book speedsters can adjust their perceptions anyway, so it doesn't matter. Otherwise, running around the Earth would be insufferable if they couldn't essentially go on auto-pilot.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are they really enjoyable to watch? Hell Yes.

Is it a good (let alone best) realization of speedster power? Nope. It makes you feel like everything is slow versus him feeling fast.

I don't understand what the meaningful difference between "everything is slow (for him)" Vs "he is fast".

They're the same thing.