• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Ya I don't care much for best but it's a great game, really unfortunate that it sold so poorly.

If we're actually talking best. I think I'd go with Celeste and then maybe things like Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Personally found it monstrously disappointing. It gets a 10/10 for presentation for sure, but it was lacking in all other ways for me.

I'd say Rayman Origins is my pick. I usually hate speedrunning centric games too but that just offers so many different ways to tackle everything. Legends is great too but the gimmicks are a bit overwhelming.

Jan 3, 2019
It's either it or one of the Rayman games.
Same, to me TF was overrated. Puppeteer on the other hand I had blast with it. It was a bit too long tho.
Same. I suppose it's my fault for buying the hype and expecting it to be as good as DKC2.

To me, 2013 was a landmark year.

I had 4 GOTY contenders. The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, Ni no Kuni and The Puppeteer. All of which are games, 7 years later, I still love.
Puppeteer is the only one on that list not on PS4 and it hurts.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Out of the thousands and thousands of 2d platformers that have been released? That's an easy no :)

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
rayman origins+legends was simply the best 2d-platformer i played in the last 10 years.
i was floored how great the sound and the graphics were.
i liked puppeteer, but it does not feel like a proper platformer. its too slow and i think 30fps didnt help it either+its more 3d than 2d.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Not even top 20 imo. It was nice to look at, it just wasn't fun.

Now, you look at Celeste, Ori 1 & 2, Hollow Knight, Inside, Limbo, Rayman Origins/Legends, Cuphead, DKCR and Tropical Freeze, (and I don't even like Tropical Freeze that much, but it's better than Puppeteer), Shovel Knight, N++, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy...and a ton that aren't coming to me right now. I just don't think it's rates at all.
rayman origins+legends was simply the best 2d-platformer i played in the last 10 years.
i was floored how great the sound and the graphics were.
i liked puppeteer, but it does not feel like a proper platformer. its too slow and i think 30fps didnt help it either+it felt more 3d than 2d, the skill needed to get around was too basic.

iam not sure, but people consider ori a jump'n run?
the same goes for hollow knight and cuphead?
some people mentioned it, but i consider some games more metroidvania and others simply "run'n gun" than a platformer.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You might enjoy reading some entries in the Essential Platformers thread:

www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...

Puppeteer wasn't my cup of tea, but my faves from last and this gen have been the Ori games, Tropical Freeze, Celeste, NSMBU, the Rayman games, Splasher, the Yoshi games, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, and surely others slipping my mind.
I dunno how I missed that. Looks like some great reading, thanks for the link.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Puppeteer has some cool ideas and a strong vision for the presentation, but the level design and game feel was underwhelming and the frequent narration became grating quick. Should have just been a PS4 launch game instead of being sent to die, but it wouldn't make my personal list over most of the 2D platformers and metroidvanias listed in the thread.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I remember enjoying its presentation, but I dropped it after 3 hours or so which doesn't say much about the gameplay. But it's been too long to remember exactly why I didn't return to it.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I platinumed this one earlier this year and I honestly really dislike puppeteer.

I found the theme to be unique but the gameplay to be incredibly uninspired. Most of the games "uniqueness" is the difference heads that Kutaro can have. The problem is that the heads dont actually do anything to change up the gameplay. All they really do is reveal a new area of the level or cause an environment animation.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The 2D king for me is Rayman Legends. The music levels alone are a thing of beauty.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
It was for me. Played it on a 3D tv and the theater style was incredible. Felt like no game I've played before or since.

Didn't enjoy Tropical Freeze that much. Seems I'm an odd ball because while I thought it was good in many ways, I'm always surprised when people mention loving it.

Second best 2D platformer imo is LittleBigPlanet Vita. It really took the LBP formula and refined it while adding cool features based off Vita's touch screens. Some of the community made levels were incredible as well.

EDT: Rayman was also pretty great these two gens.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its good but Super Meat Boy shits on it from a colossal height

but maybe this dont count cuz its not side scrolling enough? lol

Rayman is also great

Jan 3, 2019
I platinumed this one earlier this year and I honestly really dislike puppeteer.
You went through all the trouble of getting a platinum absolutely packed with minutiae and missable collectibles for a game you "really dislike"?
iam not sure, but people consider ori a jump'n run?
the same goes for hollow knight and cuphead?
some people mentioned it, but i consider some games more metroidvania and others simply "run'n gun" than a platformer.
You could maybe put them in the platformer umbrella in a broad sense but I really doubt that's what OP meant by platformer.

Except Cuphead, that one just plain isn't a platformer.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's not a genre classic, but it's a wonderful little game in its own right. Loved the variety in its environments. Also loved the humour. If nothing else, it's probably the funniest platformer I've ever encountered.

I don't think Sony ever did a game dirty quite like Puppeteer.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I made it about a third of the way in, and could not take it anymore. I mean it's charming, but I was no having fun.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
You went through all the trouble of getting a platinum absolutely packed with minutiae and missable collectibles for a game you "really dislike"

Is the concept of trophy hunting that foreign to you? I just mentionned that i platinumed it to express that I played it quite a bit. I have hundreds of platinums and i do tend to complete most games that I play.

I don't see how you passing judgment on my gaming habits has anything to do with my criticism of the game.

Jan 3, 2019
Is the concept of trophy hunting that foreign to you? I just mentionned that i platinumed it to express that I played it quite a bit. I have hundreds of platinums and i do tend to complete most games that I play.

I don't see how you passing judgment on my gaming habits has anything to do with my criticism of the game.
I have over a hundred platinums including this game's, which I would stay very clear if I didn't love it to bits (in fact, playing it again to get the platinum made me appreciate it more). I don't know if that's your case but if you're getting a platinum for a game you dislike just to get a platinum, I'll definitely pass judgement on that.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I have over a hundred platinums including this game's, which I would stay very clear if I didn't love it to bits (in fact, playing it again to get the platinum made me appreciate it more). I don't know if that's your case but if you're getting a platinum for a game you dislike just to get a platinum, I'll definitely pass judgement on that.

Enjoying a game isn't this binary thing. I finished the game and thought it was pretty meh. Decided to mop up the remaining trophies because I felt like it.

I shouldn't have to justify why I completed a game to you. I can complete a game and dislike it and that's ok. Thanks for gatekeeping crisitism I guess?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated its charm but Tropical Freeze, Celeste, Super Meat Boy, NSMB U and the Luigi version, Rayman Origins and Legends are all better

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was all that impressive. Rayman, Donkey Kong, Yooka Laylee, and Cuphead were so much better.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, as a platformer it's just ok, doesn't even play on the same field of this and last gen masterpieces (DK, Rayman, Marios, Celeste, Astrobot)

As an experience it is pretty great tho.

Jan 3, 2019
Enjoying a game isn't this binary thing. I finished the game and thought it was pretty meh. Decided to mop up the remaining trophies because I felt like it.

I shouldn't have to justify why I completed a game to you. I can complete a game and dislike it and that's ok. Thanks for gatekeeping crisitism I guess?
I dislike having this conversation so I'm dropping it like you seem incapable of doing to games.

Nov 1, 2017
It was okay. The characters got on my nerves and it didn't run as smoothly as I would have liked (might have been my aging PS3's fault, though).

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was a wonderful spectacle that looked amazing, but as a platformer it was solidly in the mid tier.