• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stocked up on these at $30 per year at the beginning of this gen. it's about to run out in 2020 and I don't know if I'll subscribe again. Full retail price for here in Canada is $70 which is nuts. The free games are nice and all but I don't game a lot online anymore.

Looking at the full cost of ownership for these consoles, it's getting untenable for me. Consoles cost hundreds, plus hundreds for online over the course of a gen plus the cost of games and accessories. I'm looking at PS5 a lot more critically than I did when PS4 came out. PS plus cost is a big reason for that.

Oct 28, 2017
i subbed for a couple of year but no, it's not worth to me
i mainly play single player games and i would sub just to invade people on bloodborne and dark souls 3

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The discounts you get from being a member make it worth it to me. I buy alot of games and have saved more than the cost of an annual membership, which I never pay more than $40 for. Just stock up when a deal is available.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Yep, worth it to me. Ive never paid the full $60 for it since the ps4 came out. I always rack up on sales, when they are $30. Im good until December 2021, but i always buy more when black friday hits, when you can find them for $30 again. I never pay full price for them, so its ways worth it for me.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
At least for me yes, but I tend to renew every time they drop the price in specials for 40 bucks. E-Bay is selling for 39 right now I renew it so it works.

Ebay deal

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. I usually buy it when it's on sale so it's less than 4 euros per month. Great value for the monthly games and additional discounts alone.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I stocked up on these at $30 per year at the beginning of this gen. it's about to run out in 2020 and I don't know if I'll subscribe again. Full retail price for here in Canada is $70 which is nuts. The free games are nice and all but I don't game a lot online anymore.

Looking at the full cost of ownership for these consoles, it's getting untenable for me. Consoles cost hundreds, plus hundreds for online over the course of a gen plus the cost of games and accessories. I'm looking at PS5 a lot more critically than I did when PS4 came out. PS plus cost is a big reason for that.
Don't subscribe. I play a lot of fighter online. If I didn't, I would cancel too.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Nope, "free games" you never own if you stop paying and online for games when PC exists. Girl, bye.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Right now, the cost for both Plus & Gold seems particularly ridiculous. The idea that Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass are BOTH worth the same amount of money is preposterous, and it's only in the Ultimate bundle that the pricing starts to feel justifiable.

PS Plus has been pretty good this year for games, but now that PS Now has gotten price competitive with Game Pass - I'd hope a similar $15/mo bundle offer pops up. Or just permanently reduce Plus to $40/yr, since I don't know anyone who would actually buy the service at MSRP.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I occasionally play online, plus I get cloud saved, and a bunch of monthly games for a small price.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I mean, I guess? It's the only way I can play online with a lot of my friends, so sure. We play a lot of Overwatch mainly.

If I were subscribing just for the games? Hell no. Maybe before when it was up to 6 games a month, but now that it's 2 a month that can be hit-and-miss? That'd be a pass.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I have it to play online but rarely play the games nowadays. It was useful for catching up with the titles from the beginning of the gen I missed tho

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
Not really, I would want cheap barebones online version where I can simply play online.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Don't play online very much at all and naturally over time, it becomes more common that I have the free games already. There isn't much else I want to buy on PSN this gen either, so discounts mean less. But... I don't want to get rid of it because I want to see what they do on PS5. So, they got me. LOL

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Yes.

A million times yes.

I play a lot of Destiny, both solo and with my clan.

The game benefits so much from PSN voice chat, game invitations, and all that.

mace999

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, I don't play online often but with the 'free' games every month and the extra discount I get off on sales it's well worth the $39 I usually pay for a month.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Not right now, no. I've subscribed consistently for years since the PS3 days and been one of the biggest proponents of Plus value wise the whole time, but I cancelled my subscription the other week when the PS Now price dropped.

The games that month didn't interest me and I hadn't been playing online recently so I thought I might aswell stop temporarily to save money for a month or two then sign up again when a game came up that was worth it.

I assumed that would be this upcoming month but the 2 games that have just been announced have nothing to offer for me personally.

I am ready and willing to sign up again if a month comes along where the games seem worth it to me, but I actually have a backlog in Now already and I'm not sure if that will happen any time soon.....

In all honesty, last month when they reduced the price of Now and added God of War etc, it became much better value than Plus to me.

I think I can see them combining the two services in the near future - £49.99 for online gaming, cloud saves and PS Now. But Now gets improved to get better games each month and more games that can be downloaded so that it essentially does everything Plus does now? Yes that is worth it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It used to when I played Rocket League and Monster Hunter World but since I switched to PC, not at all anymore no. Even the games they offer are usually already in my possession or I could just borrow from friends.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was when they offered Vita games as I love the Vita but now not so much. Still cant believe the fucked us over with dropping the Vita games. They did not even offer all their first party offerings.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
gamepass ruined psn+ for me

i don't ever play online, and i barely touched the "free" psn monthly games.

the discounts are fine i guess, but i'm not sure i make my $60 or whatever i pay for the sub yearly back

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
It's hit and miss to be honest. I'm hot and cold with online games and the PS+ titles each month are either titles I already have or don't care to play. Just looking back at this years offerings there has been only 1 game that I didn't have and was interested in playing, and that was What Remains of Edith Finch.

The discounts are nice though but I may let my sub lapse come next summer (unless they really change things up)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not really. I still subscribe, but I honestly don't really care anymore. I hardly ever play games online and it's rare that there's a PS Plus game that I really want to play.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Sometimes I take advantage of discounts and this year I've played a lot of FFXIV and Monster Hunter so I kinda don't a choice...

The games tho... I barely ever touch them.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Not at all. The free games selection doesn't seem good to me and I mostly play single player games (and those I usually get physically). I'm fine getting the multiplayer ones on Switch or PC.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not at the moment. I'm letting my sub end, should've ended it a year ago. The launch of the PS4 and a few years was great, but they let their efforts drop. Now its GamePass. I'm sure the PS5 will make it worth it again for at least a while.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. It's a ransom for playing online that I could mostly do without.

The free games are useless to me because I already own the ones I want to play.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I'd say so... I play a lot online and there is also a handful of games each year on PS+ that I end up playing a lot.
Also I usually buy my subscription during a sale, so all in all, the 45-50€ I pay each year are fine...

... That being said, having a mandatory fee to play online is still bullshit.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
No. Dont play MP on PS and for a long time I claimed all the free games. But now my library is full of things that I am never going to play.
And sadly, if the PS+ sub lapses they don't go away. They still show up in your library and just have padlock icons on them.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Not since they stopped including PS3 & Vita games, I loved the variety and niche games they used to include with 6.

The current model of just 2 generally higher budget PS4 usually consists of things I already own or have absolutely zero interest in every playing. Since I don't really play online I think I'm not getting much value anymore.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Yes for the discounts alone. PS+ games are great as well. I will say though PC Gamespass is insane and I may drop PS+ next gen.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Indifferent about it. Add a poll OP.

I have all these games I've gotten but haven't played many of them. I don't really game online, and I don't game that much to begin with. At this point I keep it because I don't want to lose access to all the games I already have, but I could save money by not having it, and most likely I wouldn't miss it.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I feel boxed in because I need the cloud saves. I usually either have the games or don't want them.

some months the discounts pay for it, but that's not the norm for me

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I don't agree with paid online as it is. I bought it once when I got FIFA 18 but never renewed it. In general the overall experience with the PSN service is ass with slow downloads. If this money isn't going to providing a service on par with Steam and XBL which are both free on PC then god knows where it's going. I know downloads are free (well unless my PS4 is in rest mode) but that still doesn't justify having bad download speeds.