• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
The statement I reacted to was about E3 having no impact on hype and sales for games. That is not something a quarterly report is going to measure.

You quoted this Tweet:

A big response at E3, or missing E3 entirely, has no impact on sales expectations or forecast for a particular title or platform. So, shrug.

This Tweet says nothing about hype or games sales. It's specifically referencing sales expectations and forecasts, which, as a matter of fact, E3 doesn't impact.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Lol at people calling e3 less relevant. It has never been as big as it is now. Have you seen the views of their trailers during e3? The social media engagement? Sonys own event will never come close to that.

I don't know why sony switching it up right now but it is 100% not for the fans as they say.
views on youtube? Sony event will have trailers on youtube too or even just a state of play.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me this is like acting is eating lasagna for dinner tonight right. It doesn't effect the big picture at all.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sonys entire generation win was based off its e3 presentations, so let's see if this change in plan will work.

Time will tell.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a fan of both tech and video games and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. The news will come, announcements, trailers, acquisitions, games, etc. will come -- just not within the same vehicles as people were used to, and IMO that's fine. I guess I'm just never opposed to change. Change can be good and stagnation is boring.

Also:

That is total bollocks. Xbox One lost the entire console generation almost purely off the back off of Microsoft's horrendous E3 2013 conference. A poor E3 showing absolutely can make or break an entire console generation literally overnight; as was also famously the case with the PS3 in 2006 and the PS1 VS Saturn in 1994.

That being said, this isn't 2013 anymore (and certainly not 1994). E3 has lost a huge amount of relevency since then, and the Nintendo Direct format has proven itself a success. Nintendo managed to launch a new console to huge success without needing E3, so it can clearly be done.

But whether or not Sony can successfully ape Nintendo? That remains to be seen...

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
We'll get the same news just at a different time and in a different way, I don't think it's going to make a significant difference to us or Playstation and I don't think Sony should feel any kind of responsibility towards trying to keep E3 afloat.

Lol at people calling e3 less relevant. It has never been as big as it is now. Have you seen the views of their trailers during e3? The social media engagement? Sonys own event will never come close to that.

I don't know why sony switching it up right now but it is 100% not for the fans as they say.
That's kind of proving the point of E3 becoming less relevant, the engagement is all through youtube trailers and social media posts rather than anything specific with E3 conferences or whats happening on the showfloor.

Those trailers and social media posts could be associated with another event or none at all and receive similar or greater attention since they can pick an optimal time and not have to compete with dozens of other announcements on the same week.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
E3 was fine last year without 'em and E3 will be fine this year without them.

They'll do their own thing and be successful with it, as will E3.

And time marches forward.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
That is total bollocks. Xbox One lost the entire console generation almost purely off the back off of Microsoft's horrendous E3 2013 conference. A poor E3 showing absolutely can make or break an entire console generation literally overnight; as was also famously the case with the PS3 in 2006 and the PS1 VS Saturn in 1994.

That being said, this isn't 2013 anymore (and certainly not 1994). E3 has lost a huge amount of relevency since then, and the Nintendo Direct format has proven itself a success. Nintendo managed to launch a new console to huge success without needing E3, so it can clearly be done.

But whether or not Sony can successfully ape Nintendo? That remains to be seen...
I disagree that E3 was the reason. E3 was just where Microsoft decided to give this message. Had they given the exact same information at any venue outside of E3, prior to or after, in the age of the internet, the response would have been the same.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Come on now.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
That's kind of proving the point of E3 becoming less relevant, the engagement is all through youtube trailers and social media posts rather than anything specific with E3 conferences or whats happening on the showfloor.

Those trailers and social media posts could be associated with another event or none at all and receive similar or greater attention since they can pick an optimal time and not have to compete with dozens of other announcements on the same week.
E3 for us has always only been just that trailers and hype. Nothing more to it.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where will we get hands-on impressions on PS5 games from the broad community?
Where will the smaller games get a popular stage to reach a wider audience?
That's the only problem I have with this decision. Hopefully they continue to help showcase more indie games at their own events like they did the first half of this gen I don't have a problem. Sony was deservedly praised for helping smaller games get attention at the start of this gen, but these small games also helped Sony as well.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
You're totally right. If they had announced DRM, always-online, SPORTS! and all the rest of it outside of E3 they would have sold 500 million consoles by now.

They lost because of what they had to say, not because of E3.

And in reality we knew everything ahead of E3, they just confirmed it at E3 and that's precisely why they had a hard time because journalists kept asking them questions about leaks they didn't want to confirm or answer.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, they are not. They win nothing by not going to e3. A new product can use all the marketing it can get.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
You quoted this Tweet:

This Tweet says nothing about hype or games sales. It's specifically referencing sales expectations and forecasts, which, as a matter of fact, E3 doesn't impact.
Ok. So we're talking about expectations and forecasts. Matt still has no way to know what the expectations would be without an E3 showing.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The E3 conference was horrendous because of its substance...not the production value of the show itself. The fact that the system was weaker and $100 more was what broke it. The fact that they were demanding you play online and were attempting to make physical media the equivalent of a cd key broke it. That still would have occurred regardless of a presentation at E3 or any other conference.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Sonys entire generation win was based off its e3 presentations, so let's see if this change in plan will work.

Time will tell.
Seriously this is almost offensive. They succeeded for so many reasons: focused leadership, good hardware, competitive pricing, focus on games, good marketing, and most importantly they did not try and be everything to everyone. To say it was just E3 is at best trolling.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't do a live press event at E3, but has the biggest floorspace + direct: "Nintendo is not even at E3" "Just the big two left now"

Sony skips E3 entirely for two years... Riot incoming?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Gamescom, The Game Awards, Nintendo Directs, Playstation Meeting etc are all just trailers and hype as well.

It can happen anywhere and for any event. E3 isn't anything special anymore because of that.
There is no pressure for any of the publishers to deliver new and exciting stuff at any of these events.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So we're talking about expectations and forecasts. Matt still has no way to know what the expectations would be without an E3 showing.

Again, quarterly reports are a clear indicator that E3 doesn't impact the way a particular publisher forecasts or sets sales expectations.

Fiscal Q4 reports for someone like, EA for example, come out in early May. E3 is in June.
EA has already developed models that forecast sales, and thus set expectations, for titles that will be shown at E3. These forecasts were developed independently and long before E3.

Additionally, EA then doesn't show up in fiscal Q1 with a completely different forecast 'because of E3.'

It's not like some business analyst was sweating bullets inside Sony thinking, "Oh my god, I can't forecast sales for TLOU2 because I don't know if we're going to E3 this year." They forecast sales just fine. With or without E3.

That's the point of the Tweet you quoted.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Maybe time will give us the answer, but i doubt that is the case, e3 is just a very small factor to take into consideration when gauging all that has real impact in a console being successful. It is just a very tiny part of the full equation despite some pretending (like last year) this is some of unmissable event.
Is the content that makes the event important, not the other way round, and as long as Sony has a way to communicate when needed, there's nothing to worry about

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
E3 2013 they follow ms with this is how you share games in ps4 and the box is 399. It was a fatality on ms with a flawless victory.

Seriously this is almost offensive. They succeeded for so many reasons: focused leadership, good hardware, competitive pricing, focus on games, good marketing, and most importantly they did not try and be everything to everyone. To say it was just E3 is at best trolling.

Sorry did not mean to offend but see my above post and then see the e3 of dreams 2015. Sony did an amazing job this gen with the points you made, but E3 were their haymakers in my opinion. They were their knock out blows.

All just my personal opinion but I was a manager at a games store in the uk the year the ps4 launched. Day in and day out their e3 was brought up, pre orders were over 5 to one in favour of ps4 to xbox at my store thanks to my push and disgust with MSs policies and sheer incompetence, It was savage.I completely flipped to being completely pro playstation, pushing pre orders to the console. It got me a pretty good bonus for securing the most pre orders in my region that xmas though.

It took me well over 6 months to buy an xbox one and I normally buy every console at launch.

Basically we was very important. I still think it is. I'm interested to see how it goes.

I suppose we could drop e3 and get obsessed with instagram posts, instead.

Writing on my phone this evening so apologies if it's a bit shit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
MS almost certainly won't get a penalty kick with no goalkeeper this year. I expect Sony to have an event around the same time they normally do - after MS announced their stuff

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
End of an era but there's no reason to be there. I don't know about this free pass, either. When they're not both there at the same event, it's harder to make a horse race out of it, which may benefit one or both of them.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's their product and their business model - they can do what they want. While I don't like it, they will more than likely be fine without going. I'm sure their internal research team has study the trends and came to this conclusion.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
E3 2013 they follow ms with this is how you share games in ps4 and the box is 399. It was a fatality on ms with a flawless victory.

Sorry did not mean to offend but see my above post and then see the e3 of dreams 2015. Sony did an amazing job this gen with the points you made, but E3 were their haymakers in my opinion. They were their knock out blows.

All just my personal opinion but I was a manager at a games store in the uk the year the ps4 launched. Day in and day out their e3 was brought up, pre orders were over 5 to one in favour of ps4 to xbox at my store thanks to my push and disgust with MSs policies and sheer incompetence, It was savage.I completely flipped to being completely pro playstation, pushing pre orders to the console. It got me a pretty good bonus for securing the most pre orders in my region that xmas though.

It took me well over 6 months to buy an xbox one and I normally buy every console at launch.

Basically we was very important. I still think it is. I'm interested to see how it goes.

I suppose we could drop e3 and get obsessed with instagram posts, instead.

Writing on my phone this evening so apologies if it's a bit shit.
It's okay, the importance of E3 to me just seems overstated. One of my friends was a manager at a games store as well around that time. The Xbox One was a bit of a turd at launch, so you did not miss anything by waiting. He got a launch Xbox One and basically brought it over to my house with all the launch games to borrow (he wanted to play it on my TV since his was a POS). We played Forza for a few hours and had fun, got frustrated with the Kinect a bit, then checked out the TV features and other games. I had a launch PS4 and most of the multiplatform games we had already played the week before. A few days later it was just sitting there collecting dust so I packed it up and gave it back to him. I remember it because I had never had a console that I did not play to death when I got it. I think I stayed up 24 hours straight when I got my 360 and Chromehounds.

Anyways, no worries.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what Sony fans continually bring up.

Not the massive price difference
You cannot boil the entire generation down to one conference, no matter what fanboys of a system say.
Damn a lot of people don't like Xbox on era lol
What are you talking about?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You cannot boil the entire generation down to one conference, no matter what fanboys of a system say.

Ive seen at least half a dozen posts saying how Xbox had a horrible event E3 and didn't take advantage of Sony not being there... I thought it was pretty good for a gap year.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't need E3, but they are taking a big risk in that it's about to be the start of a new console generation. I fully expect PS5 to be revealed in February like they did with PS4. If they were smart, they would have another event during E3 week like EA's event, which technically isn't part of E3 but is held during the same week. I think if they do just a random State of Play that aren't going to get as many eyeballs as they would if they had a press event during E3 week and when you have a new console coming out you need all the help and marketing you can get. MS isn't playing around this gen and are hungry. A State of Play is going to get you a bunch of views from Sony fans and hardcore gamers. E3 gets you views from more than just that core group if you will.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
No they are definitely wrong.

This is the first time I'll get behind this "arrogant Sony" idea. The hell are they doing.

Oct 31, 2017

Time will tell.
I'm sure myself and the 106 million other people who bought a PS4 were thinking of Sony's E3 win in 2013 and not about the games like GOW and TLOU2 that we wanted to play. What a ridiculous thing to say lol.

You guys act like most gamers out there even watch E3 or care about the stuff that goes on there. Most people just watch the trailers that come outta there and that's about it. The "E3 wins" and drama only matters to forum goers like us.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's okay, the importance of E3 to me just seems overstated. One of my friends was a manager at a games store as well around that time. The Xbox One was a bit of a turd at launch, so you did not miss anything by waiting. He got a launch Xbox One and basically brought it over to my house with all the launch games to borrow (he wanted to play it on my TV since his was a POS). We played Forza for a few hours and had fun, got frustrated with the Kinect a bit, then checked out the TV features and other games. I had a launch PS4 and most of the multiplatform games we had already played the week before. A few days later it was just sitting there collecting dust so I packed it up and gave it back to him. I remember it because I had never had a console that I did not play to death when I got it. I think I stayed up 24 hours straight when I got my 360 and Chromehounds.

Anyways, no worries.

Haha, yeah I can imagine an xbox one at launch would have been poop. Once I got mine I ended up really quite enjoying ryse, dead rising 3, forza and titanfall.

My ps4 was immense thanks to ass creed iv at 1080p. Was very happy with that.

I dont think it was one conference but was those three years leading upto the e3 of dreams 2015 imo. They've been riding that wave well into 2020.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it was one conference but was those three years leading upto the e3 of dreams 2015 imo. They've been riding that wave well into 2020.
They've also been constantly releasing well regarded games for most of the generation. Again, I just find it ridiculous to pin Sony's PS4 success on a single trade show. Does it help? Sure, but it isn't as make or break as you are making it seem. Messaging has way more of an impact.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not right or wrong to not be at E3. Sony has a lot of pull in the industry, so they dont really need E3 to show their stuff. On the other hand E3 is a good moment to show their stuff if theyre ready.