• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Although Royal has a new scenario at the end that's about 10-15 hours long, as well as some new scenes scattered throughout the game, it also speeds up aspects of the main game so the end result is that the time to beat either game is about the same.

There's a lot of QoL in Royal. For example, there's a dungeon near the end of the game in the original that's long with sparse save points that was kind of frustrating. In Royal, the dungeon is faster to go through & save points are plentiful.

if there's one downside to P5R, it's that it's much easier to become really powerful so any gameplay balance goes out the window if you know what you're doing. That might not be a downside depending on your playstyle. And if you're new to the series, that's probably an advantage. And honestly, when you're talking about a 100 hour game, you probably don't want to get stuck because of the difficulty anyway. I played on Hard mode and had a lot of fun, but it is probably the easiest Hard mode of any Persona game.

If you do decide to grab P5R, make sure to max out the Confidant links of the new characters (the Counsellor link & the Faith link). If you don't max out the Counsellor link, you won't get access to the new Royal scenario at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you do pick up Royal in the end, make sure to max the confidant ranks of Maruki.
I think, otherwise, you'll miss on the extra story near the end of the game. Which would really suck after ~100 hours since that extra story is at least 15 hours.

Edit : Oh I see someone already said that above me, oh well. :P

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Im 20 hours in to Royal now, and I am loving it.

I never played the original P5, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the load times are almost PS5 quick on Royal, going into battles and travelling between areas is almost seamless. Not sure how that compares to the OG game considering that is originally a PS3 game.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
True 4k, although it's locked to 30fps. I remember it being a pain to find out but seeing it makes it apparent pretty quickly. Everything is crisp and vibrant with some new affects to further make it feel like a PS4 game. The lighting in the new areas toward the end is especially gorgeous.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Royal adds a lot on top. If you're enjoying the game, there's no reason not to just buy Royal, especially if you can find it on sale I think I saw it for 20-30 USD in places recently.

These are huge games so be sure you actually LIKE the games first, though. Or are open to it.

Good first post. I think it's worth the extra spend to get P5R at this point.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm a crazy person but I vastly prefer the original better solely for story reasons. The additions for me made it a worse game.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Royal is significantly better in many ways but moving to $60 from free with subscription is a big jump.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
If you can get royal for a good price I would absolutely go for it...I loved vanilla and beat it but gladly played through royal and it's the superior experience...

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved P5 Vanilla but have been a bit hesitant to pick up Royal because knowing my luck the moment I do they'll announce a Switch port and that's all I want from life atm tbh.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'm stuck that I've already put 30 hours in regular over the last year.

If I restarted to play Royal I'd never finish it :(

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think so. It's a vastly superior version and remember, you'll spend a long time on this game. Better go with the improved version of the game.

Jul 20, 2020
No, the additions are really only noticeable if you played the free version first. Play the free version, wait till royal is like 20$ and if you crave more buy it.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No, the additions are really only noticeable if you played the free version first. Play the free version, wait till royal is like 20$ and if you crave more buy it.

... Of course the additions are only noticeable if you've played the original. That's a good thing and means it's not obviously slapped together later.

There's tons of new content though, from QoL to make the dungeons/battles/free time better, to rewritten/edited dialog and VA game-wide for better flowing lines, and finally of course the actual added story content which is some of the best in the game if not the best.

You can also get the game for 30 right now, which isn't far off. I feel like I saw it for less during black Friday, but alas.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I"ve seen P5R on sale quite often lately, I'd just get it.
Yes. I dropped Persona 5 after 25 hours but I've got Royal on sale and I'm enjoying it much more. Having more free time to do side activities makes a world of difference.
persona 5 Royal is basically a DLC that makes you pay the game over again but with QOL improvements, it's worth it if it's on sale or if youre a big fan of the series.
I presume the OP can get it in sale. Casually looking it up on Amazon shows it at 30, and I'm sure it can be found cheaper still.
I got it...it was on sale
k07Q28b.png

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to play P5 once...play Royal. The OG game is obsolete now that Royal is out.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really have to spoil that? You could expect people who haven't played Royal yet in a thread like this, like myself.

It's really not much of a spoiler. His new social link was pretty broadcasted pre-release and even if you missed that, you find out about it like at his introduction.

He's just better handled. There's not much else to say but that.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Hey y'all.....I swear to god if I get spoiled like I did on P4 (which is way...way...way too easy to spoil) I will be unhappy....

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Play Royal. Persona 5 is a good game but Royal does just enough to make the base game pointless if you're willing to shell out a bit more for it.

Without spoilers, the additional story content is some of the best in the whole game. The minor changes to QOL with Morgana not being a huge cockblock at night is great and so are some of the new combat improvements. It's still too easy if you don't play above Normal but it's a great time.

I'm about 90 hours into it and it's my GOTY and definitely like it much more than base game.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
One thing I remember being really convoluted in P4 was merging personas....is it at least a little clarified here?

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Persona 5 is in my top 3 games of all time and I'm 85 hours into P5R atm... to answer your question I'm not really sure tbh.

Royal is a fantastic game just like it's predecessor, but I think it depends on how you like your difficulty curve: for me the changes have made it a much easier game (so much so that I had to up the difficulty and normally I'm more likely to reduce it lol).

I'm only at the end of the fourth arc but currently I'd say the story changes have been minimal at best.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I remember being really convoluted in P4 was merging personas....is it at least a little clarified here?

It's streamlined a lot. You don't "roll" for skills anymore, you just choose which ones to inherit, and you just choose fusion, and it'll show you the available options from the stock you have instead of manually selecting fusions to see. There are some other functions but they're not as necessary, and I didn't find them convoluted personally.

If you're more broadly asking about fusion like knowing what two personas fusing will give you beforehand, then nah, that's not really clarified in game in anyway. I mostly just look through the list of available fusions for one I like/good level or skills, and that's more than enough.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
It's streamlined a lot. You don't "roll" for skills anymore, you just choose which ones to inherit, and you just choose fusion, and it'll show you the available options from the stock you have instead of manually selecting fusions to see. There are some other functions but they're not as necessary, and I didn't find them convoluted personally.

If you're more broadly asking about fusion like knowing what two personas fusing will give you beforehand, then nah, that's not really clarified in game in anyway. I mostly just look through the list of available fusions for one I like/good level or skills, and that's more than enough.
Ah cool thanks....I remember just crossing my fingers and hoping what I got wasnt shit

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this game gives you so many tools that you'll end up with insane Persona by the end.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Not a fan of JRPGs mostly because of length but I do play one like once ever few years and figured given how stylish p5 is it'll keep my attention.

I'd probably play something else tbh. Persona 5 is great but it's long and it feels like it. It's not something where the 125 hours go by quickly.

Maybe play uh....FE Three Houses, FF7R, or Trials of Mana if you want something that's not too long.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
What's the value of your time? P5 is an epic long game by any standard whether Vanilla or Royal. IMO the improvements to Royal are dramatic enough that I don't think anyone should play vanilla at this point. If cost is an issue then better to wait until a deep sale on Royal versus playing vanilla now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I'd probably play something else tbh. Persona 5 is great but it's long and it feels like it. It's not something where the 125 hours go by quickly.

Maybe play uh....FE Three Houses, FF7R, or Trials of Mana if you want something that's not too long.
Oh I play a ton of action RPGs....meant specifically turn based

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Oh I play a ton of action RPGs....meant specifically turn based

In that case your options are pretty limited if we're talking modern games and everything that's good that I can think of has similar issues :P (Dragon Quest XI and Octopath Traveler).You could go back and play like a random well liked SNES/PS1 RPG but reading over this entire topic it seems you've already bought P5R so you may as well go ahead and give it a shot.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020

I think it kinda depends. For me, 130 hours of P5R felt almost the same as the first time I cleared one house of FE Three Houses (which was like just 40 hours or something iirc). And it's not like I hated Three Houses or anything, I enjoyed it a lot but something about P5R and the flow of it just clicked with me more and it went by much quicker than it actually was.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Royal is definitely worth the extra price, it's easy to get for like 20 bucks so just imagine that it's a very worthwhile DLC if that's more palatable. There really is a TON of new stuff everywhere, both in the dungeons, as well as in the city and school life parts. Plus the whole new semester and true final boss are just amazing... some of my favorite stuff in the whole game. Really delivers on those good old fashioned emotions.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say skip vanilla P5 and go straight to Royal. On top of the QoL improvements, it adds a lot more meat to the overall story too. P5R is the complete P5 game.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Persona 5 Royal last week as my first Persona game ever. I've read about all the changes afterwards and I would have a hard time recommending the non-Royal version even if it's a difference of free vs paying for the Royal version. That being said, my playthrough took 170 hours and pretty much the one criticism I have for the game is that it's simply way too long, like 50-100 hours too long. Not that I would cut any of the story content but there are other ways.