• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The creator has been going HAM on the alt right chuckle fucks so idk but the creator def hasn't been fucking around with those folks using it

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Pepe is a Twitch zoomer thing now so don't think too much about it OP

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always going to associate it with alt right chuds now

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the creator of Pepe never liked it being associated with racists in the first place

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
he's maybe the rare case of an image being appropriated and then returned to normalcy thanks to twitch proliferating a neutral use of it

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If it's the smug version, it's not okay imo.

Otherwise, it's slightly eyebrow raising to me but ultimately fine depending on the context/audience. The original "feels good man" is timeless.

Here's Collige's Extremely Unofficial Guide to Identifying Pepes

Feels Good Man / Happy Pepe: Okay, this is the original we all know and love ✅
Feels_good_man.jpg

Sad Pepe / Feels Bad Man: Also okay, this predates the alt-right by a while ✅
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Smug Pepe: Not okay, it's one degree off from the weird Groyper shit, plus no one else really uses it anymore ❌
0e9.jpg

Groyper: 100% alt-right, spawned from the smug version ❌
Groyper_cartoon.png

Clown Pepe: 100% alt-right, used by the same people as Groyper as well as Actual Nazi Nick Fuentes ❌
honklhonk.jpg

Angry Pepe: Extremely sus, associated with that ableist REEEE bullshit from /r9k/ ❌
angry_pepe.jpg

This predates the alt-right stuff though, it's just general internet terribleness

Apu / Helper Pepe: Not instrinsically bad AFAIK, but this specific version and its variations started a lot more recently (2016) than the original Pepe and its variants
R14kkDj.png

Weird/"rare" Pepes:
Extremely meta and also out of date. Do people even still post these?
pepes.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I feel like Pepe has redeemed himself in recent years. At the very least I find it easy to differentiate between the food and bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, it was only an issue to people who just found out about his existence when Spencer got punched in the face.

Pepe has been absolutely massive on twitch for years before that happened.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It's mostly used by zoomers now anyway. Personally I don't think it ever even took off with the alt right besides a very short period of time where alt right people tried to co-opt it

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the smug version, it's 100% not okay.

Otherwise, it's slightly eyebrow raising to me but ultimately fine depending on the context/audience. The original "feels good man" is timeless.
Yep.

If the creator hadn't said anything it would forever be gone, but I refuse to let alt-right assholes have the power to appropriate anything they fucking want when the person who made it is fighting back.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Pepe being prominent in every Twitch chat means that it's association to the alt-right is eventually gonna disappear, if it hasn't already

I'm way less suspicious of someone posting Pepe now than I was around 2016

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I have seen it being used a lot.
I won't ever use it, but seem most people don't really care or know about the issues with it. And tbh I don't care that much they don't care.
But context always matters.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use it because I don't want to be confused for a neo-Nazi. I know most people using it don't realize it's been appropriated, so no judgment on the people who do use it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Pepe will always be That Nazi Frog to me.

Never liked it at all, much like those dumb Crying Man and Side-Profile Chad memes.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
God no.

People using it is making it easier for people chuckle fuck chuds to use it as their alt-right dogwhistle. Twitch didn't take it back, it's just literally filled with chuds.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah Pepe is not alt right anymore. I was very weirded out when I started using twitch again last year and saw him everywhere but it's pretty clearly innocent. I think the smug one gives off 4chan vibes but the others are normal

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I'm never going to use but I also don't assume the worst of people using it in casual context.

At places like work though, GTFO doesn't belong there anymore.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's most certainly a Twitch thing at this point. I can't recall the last time I saw Pepe used in a hateful manner. Granted, I don't spend time on alt-right platforms.

1yUTadzQTDWnMKQunV2T

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Pepe has been back ever since it has blown up on Twitch.

Pepe has way too many good emotes to let it be taken away by the alt-right

Anteros

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be pretty commonly used on both Twitch and Discord these days - at least in the communities I'm a part of. I don't know if it's still used in alt-right circles but it's clearly more widely used than just by nazis.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Depends on which country you live. Pepe never became a bad thing here. Another example is Hong Kong were it became a symbol in the protests.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It's basically a QAnon mascot now. Lots of folks have it as an avatar in those alt-right social media sites/forums.