• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No game is going to take advantage of the SSD speeds of the next gen consoles from the jump. And by time they do, mass market SSDs for the same speed will be available on PC.

Mid tier NVME speeds will likely be all that's needed for awhile.

Apparently developers don't even need to take advantage of it, it's just there, they don't have to master it like mastering playstation 3's cell processor. So a Sony first party dev making a fast moving character/vehicle, a open world, a dense world with a lot of different art, or whatever, it will just be easy for them to make it happen. They won't have to do hallway or cave tricks to wait for loading, or change the design of their world to just use a standard fire hydrant like the Spider-Man item duplication trick.

Also PS5 will be familiar and easy to develop for so Sony's first party will likely be able to stretch their legs on the system. Spider-Man 2, and Horizon 2 are the ones I want to see the most, especially Horizon ZD 2. Whatever Bluepoint games is working on might impress, they seemed very proud of it, and they've been quiet for a long time now.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Any serious PCGamer has already been using SSD for sometime. So if games are being developed to take advantage of SSD going forward PC wont be holding anything back. AAA games do not run on obsolete machines in any useful way anyways

yes but the SSD on the PS5 is far beyond your average SSD,
most PCs don't even support PCIE 4.0 not to mention their fancy highly integrated controller that is beyond what is realistically for a PC right now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
John Carmak, another developer, one that people may feel is less of a sellout, or a marketing shill.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
The talk about how fast the SSD is needs to stop because that's not where Sony made the headway. It's how it's hooked up to all other other components and how they communicate. It's the pipeline and the brain of the SSD not how fast it just reads and writes.

Right now on any PC in the world you cannot get 4GB of data from the SSD to the RAM in less than a second. The idea behind this throughput is that it eliminates LODs for the most part. PC games will probably just compensate by keeps LODs.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
While that's theoretically possible, the question is, is it feasible for the average consumer. How big are modern games? 100+ GB? 150+ GB? How much RAM do you need to put into your PC? 48 GB? 64 GB? That's not realistic.

Modern games won't be next gen certainly not next gen exclusives which won't be dealing with duplicate data

We've talked about ram drive in other topics. last time it came up was DD5 topic IIRC. Any pc gamer with it has a better option and it's pretty easy thing to manipulate, so what if other consumers don't enjoy doesn't stop me or others who have for 2 generations used the ability. power users and features are never about popularity.

You can take advantage of them at 24GB its very easy after 32GB and you only need certain assets not the whole title.

I already said it I'm making a system with tons of ram so I can keep multiple games loaded, it's gonna be bliss. It's realistic enough for anyone like myself and I've already made posts in other topic talking about how PS5 is great for power user like myself

It's about as feasible for consumers as backing up game data. You don't do much and in time if MS does nothing I can easily see valve leaving in a tool to offer this for gamers. This more comes down to a gamer rig and is a plus more than a standard, but people doing ram drives for gaming or non gaming are a known power tweak for the last two gens, basically since windows NT itself.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Not even the PS6 will be able to match the PS5 tbh, what chances does PC have? Just alien technology there at Sony and for only X99$!

slobster

Oct 27, 2017
I get people are hyped for the new consoles, but keep in mind no matter how fast the damn ssd is the console is still only 10TFs. I think people are expecting way too much of these things.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ps5 exclusives will be held back by PC by not being released on pc.
Maybe I missed something, but is Sony planning to release all their exclusives on same day on pc too?
Why are people not talking about Xbox specs and discussing how that gonna impact pc games?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
No because most third-party games will likely be cross-gen for a while, which will allow time for many PC owners to upgrade to things like PCIe 4 and NVMe SSDs of comparable speeds to the Xbox Series X.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
OP, I think it'd be infinitely more useful to just wait and see what the PS5 is pushing before making threads like this. No one, except a few devs on here, is likely to actually know the specifics enough to offer useful feedback.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Honest question. Is PS5s weaker CPU and GPU going to bottleneck multiplatforms in a couple of years or SSD will level the difference in that department too?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
What? Has PC ever, EVER, been a bottleneck for consoles. I say this as a mostly console gamer. Come on...

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, yeah. Consoles have been the lowest common for so long now so its only natural that with new advances in game consoles technology PC has to slowly adapt and then surpass.

Wonder if RAM requirements will go through the roof or PC will just have to get PCIE 4 to keep up.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see this causing any issue in my opinion. Unless I seriously missed the memo, I don't see the big deal of still having the game loaded in to RAM or VRAM. Smart loading of scene data that isn't being used into RAM isn't going away, and if you're loading objects way past the average RAM threshold into your scene, that's going to get very ridiculously space expensive over time, your game is going be gigantic on actual non volatile storage. Like I said in the UE5 demo thread, that's cool you can have a billion poly object in game be decimated real time, but who is actually going to want that outside of the professional space? Objects before I decimate for Unity in the million poly range quickly hit 100mb each. When you need 1000's of objects for actual big games, that's just silly.

I think having less LOD, less smart loading code, and less care in how your scene is laid out to cater to hardware is a nice thing for developers, but I don't see how this is impossible to deal with, and I'm skeptical about needing your entire SSD basically be a RAM disk at all times due to game size ballooning. Or I could be wrong and maybe they'll show something amazing with the tech, I dono but from my experience that's how I would deal with it with slower drives on PC if I had to tackle the problem: More LOD, better smart streaming, lower overall detail quality if absolutely need be (expected RAM size can't fit the scene at a low detail setting).

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Not a chance in hell. If anything, they will dumpster all the consoles, just like they have for every other generation. A fast SSD won't change how a game performs, developers will always target midrange.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing this over and over again with no actual games announced to lead by example is tiring. A demo with unknown specifications (file size, hard data on total system utilization) showcasing two new technologies said to also run PC and Xbox Series X doesn't paint an accurate picture of what multi-platform gaming will be like next gen. It's only really a discussion if Marvel's Spiderman 2 and other tentpole exclusives have a snowballs chance in hell of coming to PC or Xbox.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
For real, I feel like some people here think the PS5 invented SSDs or fast i/o.

Alright, just some stuff:

It's not because a solution isn't released yet on PC that it doesn't exist yet.

For instance, yes, for now, software dictate how those NVME drives are used. Things are the way they are because, for now, it is not required to have something different.

But that's also why both GPU vendors but also API makers are actually working on that kind of solutions. They've been doing research for years, even before the PS5 was announced, in that department.

If a game needs faster I/O, you can be sure that those solutions will be ready on PC for when those games release.

In 2016 already, AMD was exploring using an NVME drive to feed the vram of a GPU with the Radeon SSG.

Nvidia too recently was talking about the very same idea:
devblogs.nvidia.com

GPUDirect Storage: A Direct Path Between Storage and GPU Memory | NVIDIA Technical Blog

As AI and HPC datasets continue to increase in size, the time spent loading data for a given application begins to place a strain on the total application’s performance. When considering end-to-end…

Heck, Microsoft also announced stuff in that direction for DX12 Ultimate, with DirectStorage API and SFS.

Some people truly believe that something is being discovered here ?
Some people truly believe that developpers and GPU vendors/API makers never communicate ? That a PS5 came from the sky and that they discovered the light ?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Only if they plan to release on PC.

Otherwise they'd have to have some pretty hefty minimum requirements, which would defeat the whole purpose of releasing on another platform, since you'd be selling to a very small minority of those users..

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Any serious PCGamer has already been using SSD for sometime. So if games are being developed to take advantage of SSD going forward PC wont be holding anything back. AAA games do not run on obsolete machines in any useful way anyways
What is a serious PC gamer? I don't have an SSD, what does that make me?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The talk about how fast the SSD is needs to stop because that's not where Sony made the headway. It's how it's hooked up to all other other components and how they communicate. It's the pipeline and the brain of the SSD not how fast it just reads and writes.

Right now on any PC in the world you cannot get 4GB of data from the SSD to the RAM in less than a second. The idea behind this throughput is that it eliminates LODs for the most part. PC games will probably just compensate by keeps LODs.

Or... By adressing that in term of software. Or... By having more ram, which they already do.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Ps5 exclusives will be held back by PC by not being released on pc.
Maybe I missed something, but is Sony planning to release all their exclusives on same day on pc too?
Why are people not talking about Xbox specs and discussing how that gonna impact pc games?
- The specs of both consoles were unknown
- Specs revealed
- XSX with a considerable computing power advantage
- Cerny talks about SSDs
- Deep dive into proprietary SSD and efficient I/O
- Now the SSD and I/O are the new unknown
- Imaginations run wild

People aren't talking about the XSX because it (and the PS5) are build like mid-spec modern PCs. There's an unknown factor to the PS5, so people are booking one-way tickets to Fantasy Island before we even get a lick of an example of what the PS5's architecture will bring. I'm excited for the PS5 reveal. I'm hungry for more information. But people are talking about the PS5 more because of the unknown and because of hype.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think it's part PC and part current generation consoles.

The single most important change is the SSD. Developing with the assumption of an SSD as a baseline fundamentally alters how games are constructed. I have no idea if in 2 years new games will be made with that as the baseline and whatever PC games don't have an SSD will be screwed/need extra optimization or if it will continue to be a bottleneck. I'm going to save it's the former because I want the industry to move forward and have less headache working around HDD limitations.

Oct 28, 2017
For next-gen exclusive games, I honestly could see some games skipping PC. The console SSDs will be able to deliver 5-9 GB/s directly into VRAM. No PC can do this, not even if you put fast PCIe 4.0 SSDs into PCs. It is an architectural deficiency that can not be fixed with software, and it will take time until companies will deliver a solution that is capable of doing that.

You don't seem to understand the concept of bottlenecks.
Everything first party on Series X is launching on PC too. If they can do it I'm sure the third parties will be just fine. Min req may include an SSD though.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Any game that's built from the ground up to take full advantage of PS5's SSD is going to be PS5 exclusive. So no, there won't be any "holding back" going on.

Why is everyone acting like every video game is suddenly going to require gigabytes of data being streamed in every few seconds? Ya'll know that's not going to happen, right?

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
No, first XSX and PS5 games wont fully be utilizing the hardware. PCs will quickly catch up by the time it does and exceed.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I'm kind of out of the loop here, is XSX getting these IO upgrades too? If it's just getting a fast SSD then it seems like cross platform developers would be stopped from doing anything too crazy that a PC with a good SSD wouldn't be able to acheive.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
User Warned: Posting Alt Right Imagry
werfsda6kns.png

Last edited:

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
PC is never a bottle neck.

We have something called "graphics settings".

We've also been using SSDs for ages now.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
Ask Digital Foundry how well their 2GB 750ti, dual-core i3, 8GB ram 2014 €600 PC runs the latest call of duty, assassins creed or RDR2 compared to the 2013 €399 PS4.

Hint: the last few years they never even mentioned their 750ti again.

If games in 2013 were designed around PS4 hardware, then yes indeed, PC would have been quite a big bottleneck.
2013 games however were designed around 2005 console hardware, which is why even cheap PCs were able to run them great from the start.
2020 games will be designed around 2013 Xbox One hardware, so my conclusion is:
No, PC will not be a bottleneck, after a few years 2020 PC hardware might, but at that point available hardware will far outclass either console.
Multi platform games will not take advantage of the SSD and I am sure next year in 2021 I can build a PC for around €1000 which will surpass the PS5. It might even last until PS5 Pro, when I need a €500 GPU upgrade to match it.

PS5 will have cost 4 years of PS+ so €200 plus €500 for the PS5 and €500 for the PS5 Pro,
Total €1200, while PC will have been €1500
That €300 extra provides me with Steam, being able to choose my settings, real backwards compatibility, and also the option to run Davinci Resolve. So PC gaming for me will be about the same price as PS5

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to take a while for these experiences to ship not because maximizing performance is so hard but because games simply take longer to produce. I'm more so worried about the cost, I'm trying to build a top of the line PC this fall.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
PC can always have options for lower resolution textures or require faster CPU.

Have you not payed attention the past few months? You cannot just design a game around XSX and PS5's IO architecture and simply scale it down to run on a PC with a HDD. As long as devs develop for HDD's, games will be held back. So let's hope requirements go up fast and SSD will be mandatory soon.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Architecturally speaking, these are benefits associated with having an SoC and a unified pool of memory that result in more efficient utilization of available resources. PCs at the time were well ahead of the PS4's borderline low-end specs for efficiency to even become an issue.

I agree but the point is that back during the lead-up to PS4's launch all of that sounded revolutionary and exotic to people. Back then too we had almost daily threads on GAF about how PS4's 'supercharged' architecture would leave PCs behind for years, about how the unified pool of GDDR5 memory would be this insurmountable hurdle for PCs to overcome. People were convinced, almost religiously so, that the PS4 would blow way PCs in terms of performance for years to come.

It's the same thing with the SSD. One aspect of the system has been overhyped so much that it has completely blinded people. It is literally the same exact thing that happens every single time we approach a new console launch, you can set your watch to it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Have you not payed attention the past few months? You cannot just design a game around XSX and PS5's IO architecture and simply scale it down to run on a PC with a HDD. As long as devs develop for HDD's, games will be held back. So let's hope requirements go up fast and SSD will be mandatory soon.

Why would they need to run on an HDD ?
For real, it's like it's a lot of people's first generation change.

How did people do before ?
How did people do when they had to move to GPUs with unified shaders ?
How did people do when DX11 GPUs were mandatory ?
How did people do when they needed 8GB of ram ?

People are acting like putting an SSD or even an NVME SSD is the end of the world.

I agree but the point is that back during the lead-up to PS4's launch all of that sounded revolutionary and exotic to people. Back then too we had almost daily threads on GAF about how PS4's 'supercharged' architecture would leave PCs behind for years, about how the unified pool of GDDR5 memory would be this insurmountable hurdle for PCs to overcome. People were convinced, almost religiously so, that the PS4 would blow way PCs in terms of performance for years to come.

It's the same thing with the SSD. One aspect of the system has been overhyped so much that it has completely blinded people. It is literally the same exact thing that happens every single time we approach a new console launch, you can set your watch to it.

I remember the craziness in 2013. How 8GB of GDDR5 was a game changer, that PCs cant catch up because of that PCIe bottleneck (wow PS4 GDDR5 is a big pool of memory at 176GB/S !!! PC ram is slower and GPUs have a bottleneck with the 14GB/s pcie bandwith !!!).
Heck despite Jaguar being slow, I also remember the 8 cores narrative. Every single time some people hear a new buzzword, it becomes the alpha and the omega.

It's not to downplay the benefits those hardware produce. They clearly do. But come on, people are acting like it's alien technology, exclusive to their platform, that cant be replicated in any way on other platforms.

Heck, I still remember the "low level API" hype on consoles back then. The draw calls bottleneck and shit.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, I have to admit that the Sony marketing team is amazing at their jobs.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Ask Digital Foundry how well their 2GB 750ti, dual-core i3, 8GB ram 2014 €600 PC runs the latest call of duty, assassins creed or RDR2 compared to the 2013 €399 PS4.

The reason they don't talk about the 750Ti is because it is owned by 1.42% of the audience according to Steam's hardware survey. Most people have long since upgraded from it.