• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
You just missed the SB sales. At this point if you care about saving wait until this year's TVs hit the market. Otherwise a B9 is a fantastic TV.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It can be depending on what you're looking for if you're in the market for a 55 inch the prices are amazing. I'm looking for 65 and might just wait for the CX version. I will say that in my experience as a C8 owner, the software support has been shit which is why I am thinking of waiting to get the new version.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
You missed one of the biggest TV sale periods of the year with the Super Bowl (assuming you're in the US)

I mean if you're cool with that price and you're obviously going to use it then go for it. Treat yourself.

Edit: Oh new TVs coming out soon apparently, if you want to wait and see about those too.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
What are the SB sales?

When do the new TVs come out and do we know what they're going to offer over the 9's?
If it's anything like last year, pricing will be announced next month and the C and E series TVs went on sale in April. Last year the B models didn't come out until months later though.

Also just checked Slickdeals and there is a deal for the C model for less than the price of the model you have in the OP here is the link https://slickdeals.net/f/13844063-l...auth-dealer?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
The X series (BX, CX, GX, WX, ZX, and RX) will begin releasing in 1-2 months (I believe the C series usually releases first, but I could be wrong). I'm personally waiting for the 77CX. Can't wait. I had a 65" C9 last year, but returned it due to issues with the set and decided to wait for the CX this year. You will love OLED. I miss it so much even with a Panasonic Plasma.

I would suggest going with a C9 over a B9 though for the better processor if you want to go with currently released models. I would set an alert on Slickdeals for the B9 or the C9. The 55" C9 has been on sale for around the same price as that 55" B9 you linked on Amazon like aforementioned.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
s someone who recently upgraded to the C9, the X models were revealed to be refreshingly light upgrades. If you can find a good deal on a C9, snap that baby up. Best TV you'll ever own

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'd either try and get great deal on a 7 or an 8 (C or B or whatever) or wait for the new models that do VRR. I did the former and am really happy. Though I have a gsync monitor hooked up to my pc if I wanna get some of that vrr goodness.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
What are the SB sales?

When do the new TVs come out and do we know what they're going to offer over the 9's?

Typically you will find lots of good deals leading up to the SuperBowl.

The CX line will hit the market this April/May which is typically when retailers start to clearance out the previous year's model.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
Won't the upcoming line of LG OLEDs have a ton of new features? With those coming out so soon I'd either wait and pick up one of the newer TVs or wait and let the newer series knock the older prices down.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a great year to get a C9 when the clearance sales hit to make way for the CX. That's my brain talking.

What my heart is saying is that I'll be the first in line to pre-order and buy the 48-inch LG CX the moment LG breathes that it will be available, because I want to use that particular model primarily as a computer monitor.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How steep is the discount?

It depends. Typically the savings are around a couple of hundred dollars. For example last March Rakuten had the 55" B8 for $970. Costco clearanced our the 55" C8 last year to $1K. You will see bigger savings on the 65" models which get as low $1400-$1500.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If you are a gamer who is going to get a next-gen console in November, I'd wait until the 2020 models come out this spring to make that decision. If you aren't...just set up an alert on Sl*ckdeal* and wait for a good deal.

Or just buy the b9 now. Great 55" TV for $1300. You won't be disappointed.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
These are extra ordinary circumstances, your woman is gone. You must replace her affection with something asap. Get it now. I got a C9 last month, best decision I ever made. Would have paid more.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have heard OLEDs are better in dark rooms and not great in bright rooms.
Anyone with an OLED that can confirm?

Have a very bright living room with lots of windows.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

Well, if you've ever used any other TV in there, you can compare it to that. TV's from before HDR get to around 100 nits and LG OLEDs get 7-8 times brighter than that. They just don't get as bright as these 1000-2000 nit LED displays. So while OLEDs dont get overall as bright as other technology allows, sometimes there seems to be some sort of misconception that you can only watch OLED tvs in a dark room, which is definitely not the case at all.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you've ever used any other TV in there, you can compare it to that. TV's from before HDR get to around 100 nits and LG OLEDs get 7-8 times brighter than that. They just don't get as bright as these 1000-2000 nit LED displays. So while OLEDs dont get overall as bright as other technology allows, sometimes there seems to be some sort of misconception that you can only watch OLED tvs in a dark room, which is definitely not the case at all.

Thanks so much.
I'll check the nit count on my current TV and compare

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I have burning on my B6. I took really good care of it since I got in 2016 and I started to have the burning around october last year. It all happened so quickly. It's not like I changed my habits. I did the exact same sessions as before. It seems like its burning tolerance changed over the years or something.

In the end, I am uncertain about the possibility of replacing it for another OLED when I'll be done with it.

Just be aware that if you go OLED, you may very well get burning issues on day or another and that you'll have to live with it.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017

FWIW I just upgraded from a 65" 2015 Sony X810C (which was LCD, not even LED or whatever, I think) to a 65" LG C9 and the LG is definitely brighter and doesn't seem to have any issues in my living room. My room doesn't get super bright but it definitely gets a fair amount of indirect sunlight and the LG is holding up great (and I don't have the brightness turned up at all, to be clear).

Basically, I wouldn't let brightness concerns keep you from getting an OLED unless the sun will be directly on the tv at all times of time... in which case any tv will have trouble anyway lol.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I feel ya OP, I've been eyeing the C9 for a while and barely missed out on a pretty good 1100 EUR deal. I'll probably hold out till March/April for those steeper discounts and then go for it.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I just upgraded from a 65" 2015 Sony X810C (which was LCD, not even LED or whatever, I think) to a 65" LG C9 and the LG is definitely brighter and doesn't seem to have any issues in my living room. My room doesn't get super bright but it definitely gets a fair amount of indirect sunlight and the LG is holding up great (and I don't have the brightness turned up at all, to be clear).

Basically, I wouldn't let brightness concerns keep you from getting an OLED unless the sun will be directly on the tv at all times of time... in which case any tv will have trouble anyway lol.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
Funnily enough the 2015 Sony X810C is what I have right now.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My 14 month old LG C8 gets image retention in HDR and has a few pixels that get stuck for several hours at a time. Would not recommend OLED. I spent two grand on it so I unfortunately have to stick it out until MicroLED succeeds it.

Oct 25, 2017
In Finland we've had sales popping up on retailers, but now it seems like the 55" B9 is €999 and C9 is €1199 whenever they're part of a sale event. Is there a big difference between B9 and C9 TVs, a big enough one to pay a €200 difference? The main differences I can see from this comparison on rtings.com that the C9 is brighter and has better out-of-the-box calibration.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

I have 12 foot floor to ceiling windows in my living room and my unit is East facing so I get a lot of light and I don't have any issues. If I want it to be darker I just pull the curtains.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Going through a break up, ex is moving out, and so I gotta get myself a TV. I've seen the light of OLED and can't go back.

I'm currently eyeing this B9, but I don't know if they're about to release new models and have this TV drop in price or not yet. When's the best time to buy an OLED?

OP get it. It's worth it.

you're only missing a sale of $100 less that Occurred during Black Friday. Otherwise it's been that same price for a few months.

TV is fantastic and I'll be getting one soon.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
My 14 month old LG C8 gets image retention in HDR and has a few pixels that get stuck for several hours at a time. Would not recommend OLED. I spent two grand on it so I unfortunately have to stick it out until MicroLED succeeds it.
This sounds like a defective panel and not indicative of the technology in general imo. 8000 hours on a 30 month old B7 and I don't have any issues like this.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at a 55" CX some time this year, probs around Black Friday. My understanding though is that it's really not much better than the C9, so yes, now is likely a good time as long as you wait for another deal to come around, which anecdotally, they seem to often.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The 9 series have HDMI 2.1 so I don't know if the X will bring anything revolutionary. It's a good time to buy if you find a good deal, or wait for the X to come out and buy the 9 for less.

also, I would say the tv is fine in brighter rooms, but not amazing. I definitely notice a difference when watching a movie during day vs night. But it's not terrible or bothersome really.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Anyone have any thoughts on silverstarav.com? They have the C9 77" for a crazy low price of $2800. Usually too good to be true isn't definitely bad, but did a little bit of searching and found some dude in the AVSForums who ordered and got it brand new and great looking. Might be a YMMV thing.. I don' t know. Just a lot of money to test on.

AVSForum Guy's Experience
Silverstarav.com C9 77"