• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing some really scary stuff on social media, bloody streets and people fleeing from their homes. And this is in one of India's major cities, not a rural area.

All the while the propaganda media is showing Trump's visit with Modi.

The government also isn't doing anything because this is what the BJP wants in the end. Remember, the reason Modi was barred from the US at one time is because of his lack of response to a massacre of thousands of people when he was prime minister. Now it's happening again.

www.aljazeera.com

24 dead in Delhi’s worst religious violence in decades

Mosque in Indian capital set ablaze as police accused of helping Hindu mob target Muslims and their properties.

A mosque has been set on fire in the Indian capital as the death toll from three days of deadly protests rose to at least ten, including a policeman, according to security officials.

Video footage shared on social media showed a mob of young men on Tuesday climbing on top of the mosque's minaret where they attempted to plant an Indian flag.

Local media reported that shops within the building's vicinity were also being targeted by the mob.

Anil Mittal, a senior police officer, said approximately 150 people were injured in the violence that came as US President Donald Trump arrived on a two-day India trip.

"Some of the people brought in had gunshot wounds," Dr Rajesh Kalra, additional medical superintendent at the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, said of Monday's violence.

Fresh violence has been reported from Muslim populated areas such as Karawal Nagar, Maujpur, Bhajanpura, Vijay Park and Yamuna Vihar, while stones were thrown in neighbourhoods such as Maujpur.

Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal appealed to residents to maintain peace after an urgent meeting of his newly elected legislators in the capital.
Horrific! Injured people are laying down on the ground and they are forced to sing the national anthem.

Security forces record them, beating them and shout "freedom". #DelhiBurning #DelhiViolence #India #DelhiIsBurning #DelhiPolice #TrumpIndiaVisit pic.twitter.com/qrUWTrrz0g

— DOAM (@doamuslims) February 24, 2020
'Severe shortage' of police officers

Kejriwal told ANI news agency that his party's legislators from the affected areas said there was a "severe shortage" of police officers.

He later met Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah, the elected official responsible for the Delhi Police, over the deadly violence.

The clashes erupted on Sunday after supporters of the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), passed by Parliament last December, attacked anti-government protest sites. The CAA, dubbed "anti-Muslim", has triggered nationwide protests, especially by Muslims.
Two of my colleagues @arvindgunasekar and @saurabhshukla_s were badly beaten by a mob just now in Delhi, they only stopped beating them after realising they are "our people- Hindus". Absolutely despicable.

— Nidhi Razdan (@Nidhi) February 25, 2020
The violence started a day after the governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kapil Mishra warned anti-CAA protesters to end their peaceful sit-ins in the northeastern Jafrabad and Maujpur areas of the Indian capital.

On Monday, police used tear gas and smoke grenades but struggled to disperse the stone-throwing crowds.

A tyre market was set on fire later on Monday, the Press Trust of India said. A video posted on social media showed crowds of men shouting "Jai Shree Ram" or "Hail Lord Ram", a revered Hindu deity, as they went on a rampage, according to the AFP.

Several vehicles and a fire truck were torched in Jafrabad and Maujpur as police imposed prohibitory orders to prevent further violence.

"Hundreds of women have been peacefully protesting against the CAA since Saturday night near the Jafrabad Metro station. But on Sunday, after Mishra led the rally, his supporters pelted us with stones leading to clashes," Zohran, a Jafrabad resident, told Al Jazeera.

"The BJP leaders are trying to give the protests a Hindu-Muslim colour. They incite people in the name of religion, which is very unfortunate."

A man is beaten during a clash between people supporting a new citizenship law and those opposing the law in New Delhi [Danish Siddiqui/Reuters]
'Additional police officers deployed'

Mittal, the Delhi Police official, said on Tuesday additional police officers had been deployed in the northeast district of Delhi.

One police constable was among those killed in the violence that erupted just ahead of Trump's maiden visit to the capital city.

Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks on Tuesday at a venue located a few miles away from where the clashes occurred.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal: MLAs of the affected areas informed me that there is a severe shortage of police force and police can't take action till they receive orders from the top. I have also asked District Magistrates to take out peace march with police in these areas. https://t.co/K9UcxvCSYR

— ANI (@ANI) February 25, 2020
Tension in parts of the city remained high on Tuesday with schools remaining shut in some areas, amid news reports of fresh clashes. At least five metro stations in the city were closed.

Several journalists covering the violence were also attacked by angry mobs at several places.

"Two of my colleagues Arvind Gunasekar and Saurabh Shukla were badly beaten by a mob just now in Delhi, they only stopped beating them after realising they are "our people- Hindus". Absolutely despicable," a senior journalist Nidhi Razdan wrote on twitter.

Monday's clashes were among the worst seen in Delhi since the protests against the CAA began in early December.

India's capital has been a hotbed of protests against the law, which eases the path of non-Muslims from three neighbouring Muslim-majority countries to gain Indian citizenship.

This has led to accusations that Modi and his Hindu nationalist BJP are undermining India's secular ethos.

The BJP denies any bias against India's more than 180 million-strong Muslim minority, but objectors have been holding protests and camping out in parts of New Delhi for two months.

Bilal Kuchay contributed to this report from New Delhi

Jul 18, 2018
BJP + Modi + Citizenship Law = bunch of bullshit. The Guardian has a good article on all this...

www.theguardian.com

How Hindu supremacists are tearing India apart

The long read: For seven decades, India has been held together by its constitution, which promises equality to all. But Narendra Modi’s BJP is remaking the nation into one where some people count as more Indian than others

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think John Oliver featured this on last week's show. I don't think the media is covering it though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It was a lead sstory in the NYT this morning, running side-by-side with Trump-in-India coverage, but yeah, not getting much play outside of that... Social media driven news cycle and all.

www.nytimes.com

New Delhi Streets Turn Into Battleground, Hindus vs. Muslims (Published 2020)

As President Trump toured India’s capital, at least 11 people were killed in mob violence that upended a working-class neighborhood.

Most experts think the clashes will get worse when Trump leaves.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
People don't know about it and the ones who do only few of them actually care. India for whatever reason is rarely a topic of conversation in current political zeitgeist in the west.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately none of this is coincidence.

Right wing extremism, ethnic tension, the erosion of international alliances and norms as countries fracture internally and hatred is the most combustible fuel of even stable democratic politics. All of it is directly interlinked - all of it can be placed on the shoulders of a remarkably small number of individuals - some through deliberate interference, some through ignorant blundering, some through opportunistic seizure.

There's a list of heart attacks or aneurisms you could write on a post-it note in sharpie that would make a spectacular difference in this climate. Normally one bad actor would simply be replaced with another, but in this moment the concentration of venality, evil, stupidity and monstrous indifference has been concentrated in the fewest hands I can remember.

A few strokes here and there, a couple of elections free of interference and malfeasance and we could return to a more stable moment.

Sadly that's not realistic. The evil have a way of outliving the good, preserved in their own mischief and stout health like cadavers in formaldehyde. So if we do this, we do it the hard way. Get off our arses and vote and campaign and cooperate and fight for rationality and he Golden Rule.

And start by not fighting each other. And by refusing to let them divide us to conquer.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Media blackout when Muslims are killed/thrown in concentration camps by non-Muslims. See: China.

Now if Muslims commit violence or terrorism, the media is all over it.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
It was a lead sstory in the NYT this morning, running side-by-side with Trump-in-India coverage, but yeah, not getting much play outside of that... Social media driven news cycle and all.

www.nytimes.com

New Delhi Streets Turn Into Battleground, Hindus vs. Muslims (Published 2020)

As President Trump toured India’s capital, at least 11 people were killed in mob violence that upended a working-class neighborhood.

Most experts think the clashes will get worse when Trump leaves.

Typically offensive coverage from NYT when discussing Muslims.

Gang of violent religious extremists attack peaceful protesters and NYT somehow finds a way of both siding this.

And yeah, people won't care about this. Countries are pretty much free to kill and abuse Muslim minorities. The world won't do anything, and the media won't care.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Hindu nationalists. Every bit as bad and dangerous as White nationalists.

We have a couple of them who pop around whenever there's a thread that "bad mouths" India.

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The only news agencies covering this is msnbc. Oh and npr when they're not covering the lost art of folk jazz. Freaking useless.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are Muslim. Between India, china and Myanmar, It's open season on Muslims now.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Religions and chauvinism are the biggest problem of people. These problems will definitely end one day, but we will not be able to see it.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
Modi and its institutional hindu activist group known as RSS are altering history text books in schools. Most of the indian media are pro modi channels who fakes half of the news. The problem is we don't have a good opposition party. Here literally the elections comes down to modi vs who ? But recently BJP the party which modi belongs to , lost in state elections in Delhi.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the footage out there, even stuff that isn't explicitly graphic, is incredibly disturbing. This should not be happening and yet it is.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Modi is sheer evil.

Right wing extremism, ethnic tension, the erosion of international alliances and norms as countries fracture internally and hatred is the most combustible fuel of even stable democratic politics. All of it is directly interlinked - all of it can be placed on the shoulders of a remarkably small number of individuals - some through deliberate interference, some through ignorant blundering, some through opportunistic seizure.

All of these things are brought to you by the letters I, D and U, of which the GOP are a member as are other fine parties and leaders like Bibi and Viktor Orban in Hungary.

Those same people support also MEK as the replacement regime in Iran, which used to be labeled a terrorist organization IIRC.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They did the same shit to Sikh's in the 80s, the government even had Sikhism's holiest landmark shot up.

Have barely seen anyone mention it on Era. Only mention I remember is someone bringing up Bernie's tweet about it. But not the Muslim lynching themselves. Americans don't care much

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody said anything about what's happening in Kashmir by Indian army for sometime so I am not surprised people don't care about this also. Even here threads don't go longer than 2-3 pages

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine if this happened to jews for example. Headlines in all news networks.
History will not look at how muslim minorities were treated this century kindly...just like history does not look at how Jews were treated in 1920-1940 kindly.

---

Every time I try to debate my relatives about this vile man (Modi) I hear awful arguments - 'Don't talk politics', 'Don't say anything, you will be attacked' , 'This is what India needs' , 'He has lead to great economic prosperity'. Just deflection, lack of empathy and the willingness to turn a blind eye.

I guess coming from a family who loves Shiv Sean I was expecting too much

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Media blackout when Muslims are killed/thrown in concentration camps by non-Muslims. See: China.

Now if Muslims commit violence or terrorism, the media is all over it.
See Myanmar. Entire genocide conducted while the world was like
squidward-sunglass_1.jpg

dreamyOz

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
User banned (permanent): conspiratorial rhetoric defending islamophobic violence
take a look at this

Mod edit: link to conspiratorial rhetoric removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Americans only care about the Indians in sports and entertainment. Muslim ones are a bridge too far.

I don't see cable news sacrificing primary ratings for this.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Muslims are the target. Makes such a difference when it comes to talking about atrocities against people.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

"Evidence that the Delhi riots were not spontaneous but a pre-planned attack against Hindus." followed by a bunch of inane shit a child would be ashamed of posted in a subreddit filled with anti-Muslim and conspiracy screeds.

Could you please explain what you meant by posting this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Don't blame the uninformed, blame the news corporations for talking about stupid shit instead.

But seriously, shit's fucked, and that there's nothing we can do just feels shitty. Modi and his followers can go to hell.
See Myanmar. Entire genocide conducted while the world was like
squidward-sunglass_1.jpg
God, yeah, no one talked about that at all. I seriously can't wrap my head around the concept of Buddhists doing genocide, but hate and fascism is one hell of a drug I guess.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Don't blame the uninformed, blame the news corporations for talking about stupid shit instead.

But seriously, shit's fucked, and that there's nothing we can do just feels shitty. Modi and his followers can go to hell.
God, yeah, no one talked about that at all. I seriously can't wrap my head around the concept of Buddhists doing genocide, but hate and fascism is one hell of a drug I guess.
If you are living in Myanmar, chances are your parents and their parents and their parents are Buddhists. Like how it is in the West where most people are culturally Christians but not actively practicing the faith. I imagine most Nazis were Christian but that's not why they wanted to eliminate the Jews.