• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dont think this is quite a fair question right now given covid impacted a ton of their projects but im generally enjoying what they've been putting out. i dont think they've outright put a bad game since the switch launched so they're clearly giving these games the time they need.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
The seemingly great output is actually relying too heavily to reintroducing WiiU games, so sadly, answer is no.
I think the reality is HD development turned out to be harder and time-consuming than 3DS game, by the huge margin.
So, diverting 3DS game development effort to Switch may be helping, but not by much IMHO.

Last edited:

tomasito99

Aug 6, 2020
didn't own WiiU, so yes. Besides, with the new 1st party games, plus the ports and the tons of indies, the switch is my most played console ever.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for better output, not happy with the results. To be honest Nintendo is not doing the right things to have me be as invested in their stuff as I am with Sony. That being said I have a switch for those exclusives.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and? I can say the same about bayonetta 3, SMTV, Prime 4, and it's close for BotW2
Fair. The initial games you mentioned were also all already on the Switch within the first few years. Heck we even got a remake of Xenoblade 1 this year too. While the output of first party titles in Wii U's 3rd year had some decent output, it took years to get there because Nintendo was trying to give 3rd parties their breathing room, only for them to delay or not bother (like Rayman being delayed to go multiplatform in 2013). Nintendo was having to run on all cylinders in order to salvage what was left of the Wii U like they had to do for the 3DS.

There was hardly any 3rd party support on the Wii U either which made the drought of games absolutely unbearable even in that 3rd year of the Wii U.

After the decent output in 2015 there was practically nothing in 2016 on the Wii U.

Also if we're comparing 2015 and 2020, then it should always be noted that we're in the middle of a pandemic and many companies have had to delay their plans. Heck, we know from Nintendo's own website from a leftover page that the Mario Maker event for Mario's 35th anniversary was supposed to start back in April. April is when Nintendo added the JIT-sys functions in the 10.0 update, a function that's used for emulating N64, Gamecube and Wii. Safe to assume all this Mario 35th Anniversary stuff was supposed to happen through the summer, but that's also when the pandemic hit harder and many countries went into lockdown. Japan also declared state of emergency back in April too. On top of this there was also a lot of hardware supply issues across the 3 hardware manufacturers.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'm just completely surprised by the disappointment to the point I don't entirely understand. Did people expect there to be a Switch game for every 3DS game? This was obviously not possible, the scale is totally different. Imagine the counterfactual where Nintendo is simultaneously still releasing major 3DS games... The Switch would be in a tough place! HD development takes so much longer, and Nintendo is one of the most prolific publishers in terms of games released year in and year out.

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
No Picross 3D
No WarioWare
No Rhythm Heaven
No Mario RPG
No Style Savvy
No Chibi Robo
No Tomodachi Life
Way less smaller digital games compared to the 3DS that had Sakura Samurai, Harmoknight, Dillon Fluidity, Pushmo, etc.

It feels like the handheld side got the short end of the stick

Exactly. I remember playing sooooo many weird and wonderful games on the DS specifically. It just feels like too many games these days neeed high production values or something? I thought when they were talking about merging their development platforms we'd be seeing more small weird games over as well, and that has simply not been the case. Anyway, it's a shame.

Also, I say this knowing fully that I have too many games to play on switch, but there's simply not those quirky smaller cheaper games out there.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. I don't think most people expected 1 + 1 = 2 in this instance (2 being as many Switch games as 3DS and Wii U), but probably at least 1 + 1 = 1.5. Instead it's like 1 + 1 = 0.75. What was even the point? I just have less games to play.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Not at all. I don't think most people expected 1 + 1 = 2 in this instance (2 being as many Switch games as 3DS and Wii U), but probably at least 1 + 1 = 1.5. Instead it's like 1 + 1 = 0.75. What was even the point? I just have less games to play.
What are you even asking? in this case if they were separate they would have less games on a single platform

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I expected new releases, not barebones ports setup as holiday flagships. Indies are carrying Switch.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
kind of? We got a lot of big games in the beginning of the switch life but I feel all the handheld devs are getting use to switching to HD so there games doesn't have that triple A feel. We are also getting a lot of Ports because the Wii U was a failure.

However, I have more games on my switch than any previous Nintendo consoles but that also could be due to having more money now that I'm adult and most of them are indie games.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying Switch more than pretty much any other Nintendo console, but I'm not sure if it's anything to do with consolidated output. I feel like half of the major content is ports and remasters.

With BotW and the "Pro" rumors, next year should be interesting. Wondering what kind of lineup they have in store

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not. The fact that development is now all on a console caliber system means that a lot of the more unique experimentation (shit like Picross, Nintendogs, Wario Ware, etc) isn't as easily justified so we aren't seeing it.

Also makes me wonder that a lot of those smaller teams weren't really equipped for larger scale development

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
To the core question in the OP: no, but mostly because a lot of the "handheld" games I want to see from them are dead.

What does that mean? 2D and old-school style adventure games.

We're midway through Year 4 and I can count the "new" first-party 2D/classic style games on one hand.

Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Crafted World (and this one's iffy)
Super Mario Maker 2 (also iffy)

That's it. No new Super Mario Bros. (just a port), no new 2D Zelda (just a remake), no 2D Metroid (not even a port), no new DKC (though Tropical Freeze is aces), no Golden Sun. Pokémon is now completely beyond the isometric style, which I'd still prefer to their 3D design template.

Indies are doing an okay job at filling the gap, but it's still disappointing

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Not at all. This is the first Nintendo console that I had barely any reason to buy at launch or even now.
Almost everything from Nintendo was recycled from Wii U and there just isn't enough new from them this generation.

I've bought every system and portable from them and I probably enjoy their games the most but this gen has largely been PC and PS for me.
So far their output on two consoles was way better than their consolidated Switcheration.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! For me to play Zelda, Mario and Smash brothers with that much fidelity in Graphics on a handheld is nothing short of amazing! Glad I got a switch at launch!!!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
(Number of years between new Mario Kart releases):
(Nintendo "consolidates")
6+

Not better!

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Not even close. I am very disappointed in Nintendo's output for the Switch. It's my favorite system from Nintendo since the N64, but the library is lacking. Good thing they have Wii U ports to fill in the gaps, but now they're pretty much out of those.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
They have exceeded my expectations. The output they had up until this year has been phenomenal. Even though this year has been light I still bought 5 Nintendo games and still have to buy Pikmin and AOC. Also next year is probably going to be insane.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Absolutely. I'm not fazed by pandemic issues and am understanding, so I'm accounting for that. I've purchased 4+ first-2nd party titles a year every year, hitting 8+ in 2017. I'm not sure what the standard is, though - 4 for titles I want is pretty bonkers IMO.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I had a Wii U at launch. All the games ported, i already had, i rebought 2 so far, MK8DX and TMS, and i rarely touched there Switch ports.

Wii U era directs were nonstop, "that's cool for 3DS... but what about Wii U?"

Honestly id be most hyped if enhanced 3DS ports came over. Kid Icarus? Dark Moon?

Launch year was great, but i don't feel the last few years, especially this year, have surpassed that year. Sure i own a ton of switch games, but a lot i don't play, and that's my fault, because as a Nintendo fan for the longest, ive been primed to vote with my wallet, so id buy things just to support more outtings.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Not really. No new 2D Zelda, no new 2D Mario, only one FE, no Metroid, no new racing game, lack of smaller series showing up at all... definitely not the blending of portable and console output that was hyped up.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
(Number of years between new Mario Kart releases):
(Nintendo "consolidates")
6+

Not better!

The popular belief at this time is that Mario Kart 9 is a 2023 Switch 2 launch game.

If that holds, that would be 9 years between main entries, which is downright insane for arguably Nintendo's biggest franchise. I guess you can't blame them though given the sales of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

I think Nintendo just doesn't do it for me anymore. It hasn't since the GBA.

Still love my NES and SNES games though

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
If I'm trying to think of the biggest Nintendo-developed Switch games (also including Pokemon) without counting any Wii U ports, I get:

1-2 Switch
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Pokemon Let's Go
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening
Ring Fit Adventure
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword/Shield
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics
Paper Mario The Origami King

Give or take a few, depending on what you feel qualifies - either way, it's still a list containing a lot of variety with some notable, quality titles and some mediocre ones. Reasonable at the bottom of a fourth year - but certainly lightweight compared to the output of their console and handheld divisions in past gens. Many of their most unique and flavorful franchises are missing. A new original WarioWare, Pikmin, and Metroid are sorely needed.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
No, though I assume COVID is at least a small factor there. I also have a Wii U and own all the big games, so the ports/remasters are of less interest to me. I'm more counting the last couple of years or so, though, when first-party Nintendo stuff on 3DS really died.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it seems as if they don't announce games like until a month before they come out makes it feel worse than it actually is. I don't even know what to look forward to right now

i feel like another issue with switch is how many games fell flat with me. Or they felt barebones, low effort, uninteresting or just one step forward one two steps back from previous games. It has not been good these past two years first party wise for Nintendo.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone can honestly answer yes to this. In all previous generations, if we include all first party output across both console and handheld, they typically had at least one, if not two or even three new titles PER MONTH. Pretty much every year with some exception. That isn't including remasters or ports (which Nintendo barely did before this generation anyways).

Nowadays we're lucky to get a release every three months. It's been a huge downgrade in output even though it really shouldn't have been. And not just this year due to Covid.

I'm just completely surprised by the disappointment to the point I don't entirely understand. Did people expect there to be a Switch game for every 3DS game? This was obviously not possible, the scale is totally different. Imagine the counterfactual where Nintendo is simultaneously still releasing major 3DS games... The Switch would be in a tough place! HD development takes so much longer, and Nintendo is one of the most prolific publishers in terms of games released year in and year out.
Of course not. But it'd be nice to have even, I dunno, half of that? Nintendo is operating at far below even that level of output right now.

Also, not all Switch games are Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade (or need to be). They can do 2D and smaller budget games still for certain franchises, they just aren't for whatever reason. They don't even have the same level of little eshop games like Steel Diver Sub Wars or Pushmo.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I owned a Wii U which makes the drought padding really obvious, the switch has been exactly the same as their previous consoles for me regarding not using the console for months at a time. Had a strong first year and 2019 hit a good stride over summer, but that's about it.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really expected more in the way of software at different price points to fill different gaps in the lineup. Imagine if F-Zero got treated like Sony does Wipeout, as an example. Instead everything is $60 and treated as a big release, perfectly spaced apart every month or two.
Output has generally been good, don't get me wrong. But when they said "consolidate 3DS and console development" I expected something different.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I'm very happy with their direction. Saves me the money from having to get two machines, which to be honest, I'd likely skip the home console like I always have.

Then again, I've never been a huge Nintendo fan, I haven't even played most of the Zelda, even though action game is a genre I always like.

With my reduced gaming time due to life though, their slow output is fine by me, I have yet to complete BotW and a lot of the games I got on it anyway.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

How can you look at that and say you are disappointed?

Its not my tweet btw.

I think I've played around 20 games on my Switch since I got it and it's mostly a dust magnet. The true Nintendo top tier games are still utterly impeachable - Oddysey and BotW are both ridiculously superb. Everything under that level is totally skippable for me now. I got bored of Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem Three Houses before the end and didn't even bother with stuff like Arms or Zelda dynasty warriors.

Ring Fit Adventure is the only thing post-2017 I'd tell people they need to play from Nintendo. Ring Fit is genius out of nowhere.