• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can Nintendo best smash ultimate in anyway?

• Yes

Votes: 318 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 444 58.3%

• Total voters

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they can because actually... there's too many characters.

Please reboot the franchise with a smaller/streamlined list of reworked characters, engaging single player, and Slippi-esque multiplayer.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
It's going to be ported over in addition to a new entry with a smaller roster and different mechanics.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
We're worried about a publisher who's major franchises routinely sell 20-30 million copies on a single platform? lol

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to redo characters already the dlc characters are so well thought out they really stand out compared to the base roster especially the n64 group. Start with a low roster and adding as they go. Returning characters getting new move sets and mechanics. Change is fine.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is extremely possible to make a better game. It may not surpass Ultimate in every single regard, but it doesn't need to for it to be totally worthwhile on its own

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I would be happy if they remastered Ultimate for 4K or something on the next console after the Switch. It's that good. Maybe improve the online with rollback netcode or something.

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
Let's be honest, there's A LOT of characters in Smash that won't be missed if they were culled. I think they can definitely reach 35-40 without any major backlash.

Are you kidding? There were lots of people who were pissed off when Mewtwo was cut in Brawl, and when Wolf/Snake were cut off in Smash 4. To suggest that cutting almost half the roster won't result in backlash is mental (and clones don't count since they don't take much development time). People would absolutely be pissed if their favourite characters were cut just so Mario could do the Ground Pound, especially casuals who play the series because of the roster.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Pretty sure yeah. Roy was a beloved Melee vet and Lucas was a surprising and enjoyable inclusion in Brawl, so it was pleasant to see them again and it went further knowing that Smash games could bring back veterans now more easily through DLC instead of the base roster being the final cut.
I still find it funny how Roy is only liked because of Smash (like Captain Falcon) because he is a pretty bland protagonist and a bad unit in his game

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, so long as Jigglypuff is still there, I'd take a twenty character Smash with decent online versus Smash Ultimate.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
it's like clockwork
people with no knowledge of fire emblem that for some reason think lucina is a character that they'd cut and wouldn't be prioritized for a new moveset
(this applies to several other things like terry or steve but i think Smash Fan Myopia is strongest around fe)

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
you can have Jigglypuff or a 20 character roster but you can't have both

choose wisely

Okay.

A one character roster and decent online.

Also that character is Jigglypuff.

edit: just realised that actually Jigglypuff is enjoyable because other people aren't Jigglypuff. So there needs to be a second character. Ideally someone with poor recovery.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
tbh at this point I would rather them do a soft-reboot. Bring back the original 12 characters (as well as another..... idk, 20-30) with different movesets.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I like getting a lot of characters but I also like the new mechanics and balacing that come with each new entry, so I think it'd be a massive dissapointment if they just kinda keep updating ultimate in perpetuity. I am more than okay with a massively reduced roster next time

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The next smash will be the better game simply for nintendo potentially having a better online network.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
I still dont understand how people think that nintendo/sakurai will cut characters to rework old character, when they already do reworks without cutting anyone(zelda, sheik, bowser,palutena) and that reworking moveset is something that important to them that they need to cut content to do it.

Fighting games often cut characters because their budget are small, like very small, just ask Capcom.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The next smash will be the better game simply for nintendo potentially having a better online network.
A better network will only get you so far unless you actually implement rollback netcode.

I still dont understand how people think that nintendo/sakurai will cut characters to rework old character, when they already do reworks without cutting anyone(zelda, sheik, bowser,palutena) and that reworking moveset is something that important to them that they need to cut content to do it.

Fighting games often cut characters because their budget are small, like very small, just ask Capcom.
In Capcom's case, it's because they start from scratch for each new numbered SF entry. Unless you're referring to MvCI, which would be a better example.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
A better network will only get you so far unless you actually implement rollback netcode.

In Capcom's case, it's because they start from scratch for each new numbered SF entry. Unless you're referring to MvCI, which would be a better example.
Yes but the fact that capcom asked SONY for money for their biggest Fighting game series yet other capcom series doesnt need to do the same tells me that capcom doesnt want to give more budget to the series.

So the devs need to cut corners(characters and modes), to ship the product, something smash doesn't have problem because ultimate is the best selling smash game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes but the fact that capcom asked SONY for money for their biggest Fighting game series yet other capcom series doesnt need to do the same tells me that capcom doesnt want to give more budget to the series.
We actually later found out that was due to Ono burning most of the budget on a failed SFV prototype from Polygon Pictures. Matt McMuscles did a whole video on it.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
We actually later found out that was due to Ono burning most of the budget on a failed SFV prototype from Polygon Pictures. Matt McMuscles did a whole video on it.
Yes thank full the smash team doesnt mismanage their game, and with ultimate selling so much the next game is guaranteed to have bigger budget.

So that means reworks can happen without cutting content.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes thank full the smash team doesnt mismanage their game, and with ultimate selling so much the next game is guaranteed to have bigger budget.

So that means reworks can happen without cutting content.
Even if Ono didn't fuck up, they were gonna start from scratch & cut characters anyway. Going by the prototype we saw, their intention was never to reuse SFIV assets in the same way Smash Ultimate reused Smash Wii U assets.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What if they take Ultimate, cut out the characters that are a pain legally + the ones only in because 'Everyone is Here' and replace them with new characters.

That seems like a super easy way to be as good if not better than Ultimate.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they take Ultimate, cut out the characters that are a pain legally + the ones only in because 'Everyone is Here' and replace them with new characters.

That seems like a super easy way to be as good if not better than Ultimate.

I think this is the most likely outcome besides Smash continuing as is. Maybe Everyone is Here every single game from now on is a pipe dream, things change and sometimes costs accumulate too high, but Smash will never be at a point where it cuts half the roster.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if they're digging a grave, it's for Sakurai. The man already fuvked up his arm working on Smash—how much more will the series take from him?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As long as Joker, Bayonetta and Pyra/Mythra make it, im okay with a reboot. These movesets are super fun.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think this is the most likely outcome besides Smash continuing as is. Maybe Everyone is Here every single game from now on is a pipe dream, things change and sometimes costs accumulate too high, but Smash will never be at a point where it cuts half the roster.

Agreed. I could be wrong but I feel like people were concerned about the roster being too big and fits necessary BEFORE fighter's pass two was announced.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is actually all that dire. They should pair down the next roster considerably while introducing a ton of new characters. If half of the next title's base roster is new characters, I think that will instantly be exciting. Especially if they heavily rework the returning characters. It could be a bold new refresh. Then you can gradually add in the missing characters that people actually care about.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if they're digging a grave, it's for Sakurai. The man already fuvked up his arm working on Smash—how much more will the series take from him?

Sakurai gets younger the more he works on Smash.

Agreed. I could be wrong but I feel like people were concerned about the roster being too big and fits necessary BEFORE fighter's pass two was announced.

The only downside a roster this big has is that it cuts into other avenues of content, except it's Smash Bros and that other content usually sucks because it's Smash Run or Adventure Mode or whatever, just a fun novelty you play for ten minutes and get bored so you go back to the main course.

Not a single person has given a good reason why the roster needs to be paired down at all, let alone to 50 or god forbid 40 characters. Maybe if this were a hyper competitive game, but it's fucking Smash Bros. The 20 million+ sales it made weren't all by EVO players.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Sakurai gets younger the more he works on Smash.

The only downside a roster this big has is that it cuts into other avenues of content, except it's Smash Bros and that other content usually sucks because it's Smash Run or Adventure Mode or whatever, just a fun novelty you play for ten minutes and get bored so you go back to the main course.

Not a single person has given a good reason why the roster needs to be paired down at all, let alone to 50 or god forbid 40 characters. Maybe if this were a hyper competitive game, but it's fucking Smash Bros. The 20 million+ sales it made weren't all by EVO players.

I mean, if they just straight up reuse everything but rebalance it for newcomers/alter a little here and there to represent new titles, presumably that'd give them a ton of extra time to work on new modes.

To be totally honest I would be pumped if they just straight up added Adventure Mode from Melee in with no alterations.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Of course they can best it. If they rebooted this series to be.. well, something new, scaled back, it would do just fine.
I've been a smash fan from the beginning, but my enthusiasm is so low. I mean we have the best smash game yet I guess, but I'm all smashed out for the most .
I'm ready for something brand new in the same spirit. Completely overhaul it, or do something themed and crazy.

Once you get past like 20 something characters, most people don't even like half the cast anyway.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think they can surpass Ultimate. That's fine though, not every new game has to be bigger and better. It could be unique and interesting in its own way.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they just straight up reuse everything but rebalance it for newcomers/alter a little here and there to represent new titles, presumably that'd give them a ton of extra time to work on new modes.

To be totally honest I would be pumped if they just straight up added Adventure Mode from Melee in with no alterations.

Exactly. Cutting down the roster for shiny new models and revamped movesets isn't going to spontaneously create new modes, because the resources that would have gone into those new modes instead went into redoing all the classic characters. Can you imagine any fighting game these days starting from scratch with a roster of 40+ characters?

Ironically, the best bet for extra game modes to get in would be through Ultimate Deluxe, because that way nothing has to be significantly retouched and the budget can go into those game modes.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Melee's Adventure Mode was already boring and exhausting enough with a mere 25 characters

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
They can resell the game a year from now on switch+ for 40 dollars with all the DLC and improved netcode and we'll all buy it again.

Nintendo may need to consider Smash 5 a living platform eventually, but that time isn't now.

Shit, most people have bought incrimental updates for smash 4 and 5 three times now.
40 lmao.

It's going to be 90+ if they do that.