• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Next Gen Worth It Without a 4K TV?

• Yes

Votes: 437 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 150 24.7%
  • No, but I'm going next gen anyway

Votes: 21 3.5%

• Total voters

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
So I've been hesitant to migrate to next gen when it comes due to several reasons. One, which I suspect is common around here, is an unjustifiably large backlog. For me that spans gba, ps vita, ds, ps2, switch, and of course the ps4. The second is I'm trying to be more financially responsible when it comes to games. The third, and the title of the thread, is that I have a 1080p tv and I don't feel I would be getting the most out of next gen w/o a 4k (granted there are already games now that would benefit from a 4k tv). I figured a decent financial benchmark for me would be to delay going next gen until I can feel fine being able to afford a 4k while also just going through my backlog. If I decide to do that I assume there'll be a price drop in consoles and games when I eventually migrate to next gen. I'm not usually all too concerned about graphics but I figured this would be beneficial economically and backlog wise.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I played through the 360 generation on an SD TV and I had my fun, so yes I can tell you know that you'll still enjoy next gen even if you don't have a 4k TV.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, eventually there is going to be a point where all the new games are going to be on next gen hardware, and it doesn't really matter if you're on some cheap 20" sub-HD Vizio, if you want to play new games, you'll need those systems

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
From what we've been told I think the load times alone are a massive reason to adopt next gen, but I think you'll be fine without it. If the PS4 Pro/XB1 are anything to go by, a lot more games will allow for customization of graphical settings. There may even be a significant framerate boost for playing at 1080p over 4K.

I play on console at 4K and PC at 1080 and I feel like being able to play certain games at a higher FPS is a worthwhile tradeoff for playing on 1080p (which still looks absolutely fine!)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Upgrade now. The experience is substantially better with 4k/HDR.

Then there's the benefits with Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, TVs below 4k still work and produce a picture. I personally am not going to upgrade until mine breaks. No reason for me to get a 4k TV when I have one that I am happy with still.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my Pro was worth it even before upgrading to an LG C9 and this will be an even bigger leap.

If this gen has more resolution and framerate options, then I'll be running at 1080p anyway for those 60-120 fps

Jun 30, 2018
So I've been hesitant to migrate to next gen when it comes due to several reasons. One, which I suspect is common around here, is an unjustifiably large backlog. For me that spans gba, ps vita, ds, ps2, switch, and of course the ps4. The second is I'm trying to be more financially responsible when it comes to games. The third, and the title of the thread, is that I have a 1080p tv and I don't feel I would be getting the most out of next gen w/o a 4k (granted there are already games now that would benefit from a 4k tv). I figured a decent financial benchmark for me would be to delay going next gen until I can feel fine being able to afford a 4k while also just going through my backlog. If I decide to do that I assume there'll be a price drop in consoles and games when I eventually migrate to next gen. I'm not usually all too concerned about graphics but I figured this would be beneficial economically and backlog wise.

You are more likely to enjoy it compared to people playing at 4k because down sampling and higher frame rate modes are more likely to be available this time around.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes.

Said as someone who has a 4K OLED.

Games will still be able to show marked improvements in visuals and performance even if you're not on a 4K display yet.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
If only there existed platforms that didn't tell you what resolution you're going to be playing at.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda. You'll get super-sampling (makes lower resolutions have increased detail) and stuff like like raytracing will defiantly enhance things, but most games will more than likely be best playing on 4k displays.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's still worth it but you're gonna miss out a lot image quality wise. After playing a few games at 4k and with HDR, I can't wait for it to become the new standard.

Nov 21, 2017
I thinking the same thing. I might buy a cheap 4K TV around for 200 bucks. I"m don't want to buy a nice tv when I finishing my Masters's degree by 2021 and move anywhere for my career.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need an OLED, get a good Vizio which is affordable and has all the features you need.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I would follow your plan as it makes good sense to me. You have plenty of games to play it sounds like. Waiting will let you save money for the new TV and it gives the opportunity for the system itself and assuredly plenty of the games to be much cheaper. You can guarantee that if you adopt on day one everything you buy will be at its highest possible price point.

Oct 28, 2017
Not required to have fun obviously but I imagine to get the most out of what next gen brings a 4k tv would be beneficial. I still have an og xbone and a 1080p tv, so I want next gen to completely blow me away. That's why I'm going for a nice 4k tv with hdr and a Series X day 1.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
For sure. I'm going in with a ten year old 1080p plasma and I don't care. I've become a real fan of higher frame rates (read: > 30) and shorter load times and I'm sure there will be plenty of both to be had next generation.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The would imply the games are not worth playing just if you can't display some random resolution ?

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Don't care about next gen since i play on PC, but if developers are smart, and they are, they will allow at least 2 presets for their next-gen games, something like 1080p/120fps and 4k/30fps or 1080p 60fps and 1440p 30fps and so on depending on the game. So even if you're stuck at 1080p you will get better frame rate than current console, and frame rate is always more important than resolution. Plus sooner or later all games will be next-gen exclusives so you'll have to upgrade anyway if you wanna play them, or just get a gaming PC and be the one who decides what resolution, frame rate and details are important to you

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, why not? It's not like the games won't look good at 1080p. Hell, maybe games on the PS5 / XSX will have options to customize your experience. I'd take advantage of that

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I have a broken 4K tv but a very nice 1440p 144hz ips gaming monitor and I hope 1440p is supported across the board for Sony so I don't have to buy a new tv anytime soon

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
ofc. 1440p is enough for every scenario. Even 1080p. PC got DLSS. Sony got checkerboarding. Xbox got DirectML. All are great upscalers.

4k is waste of resources. Only thing that matters in next gen TV is HDR

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Nope.

4K tv's go for pretty cheap nowadays, well worth the money to upgrade of 4k/hdr .... If you cant afford it well that's another story, but if you have the money or you've been looking to upgrade, now is the best time imo.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not required to have fun obviously but I imagine to get the most out of what next gen brings a 4k tv would be beneficial. I still have an og xbone and a 1080p tv, so I want next gen to completely blow me away. That's why I'm going for a nice 4k tv with hdr and a Series X day 1.
That's going to quite the jump.

Also yea get a 4k ONLY if you can afford it as it is worth it op.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i think you should. i opted out of it for reasons of my own, but 4k is so ubiquitous and cheap right now that there's no reason not to, imo.

I played through the 360 generation on an SD TV

...how? and ...why?

one of the worst decisions i ever made was buying a 720p max T.V. in 2017, and i regret that decision to this day D:

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think you should. i opted out of it for reasons of my own, but 4k is so ubiquitous and cheap right now that there's no reason not to, imo.

...how? and ...why?

one of the worst decisions i ever made was buying a 720p max T.V. in 2017, and i regret that decision to this day D:
Must've been a cheap as hell TV.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

...how? and ...why?

Well mostly because where I'm from it is usually the living room that gets the good tv, but even in that case we didn't buy a full hd living room tv until like 2013, and I had a full fat cathode sd tv in my room, couldn't afford a lcd...but I honestly didn't mind at all...

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
They should make 1080p/1440p HDR tvs.

but noooooo, TV MARKETING DIVISIONS say is baaaaad

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

4K tv's go for pretty cheap nowadays, well worth the money to upgrade of 4k/hdr .... If you cant afford it well that's another story, but if you have the money or you've been looking to upgrade, now is the best time imo.
Cheap HDR is crappy though, there's no point trying to use HDR on a cheap TV you just get a brighter washed out image. You need FALD or OLED to get good HDR.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Of course it is, I love my LG C9 and the upgrade from 1080p to 4K is definitely noticeable and significant but a good game is a good game not matter if it's running at 720p or 4K, to skip out on experiences like next gen Silent Hill, Spider-man 2 or Halo Infinite just because you can't display them at 4K is a wasted opportunity imo.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yes of course it is worth it. Graphically it still goes noticeable on lower res screens. If one isn't willing to spend on a good 4K tv, the 1080p screens are still good

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I mean having a proper display is better but is not the only reason you will enjoy or not next gen.

I remember when ps3 days some survey about how no one was using hdmi.

This gen will be the same with 2.1 not being used but people will still get to enjoy new gameplay and stuff the new gen will bring.

having said that if you have an oled tv with a good sound system you are really going to be set for some unique experiences and get much more enjoyment of what this new platforms bring to the table.