• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
This has been a theoretical benchmark since the PS2 and while I'm not expecting games to look like Wall-E or The Good Dinosaur I do think that we are close to that line. Kingdom Hearts 3, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Ratchet & Clank all seems to push this style to its current gen limits and got relatively close. This has been a 20 year road trip and I ask the question, "are we there yet?"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tllbAPL.gif
KyVPscY.gif

yea

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think the R&C reboot actually seemed kind of generic by trying so hard to be like Pixar, it felt like it didn't have its own unique identity.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the newest Ratchet and Clank on a PS4 Pro and OLED screen looks pretty dadgum close.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Well, I mean current pixar movies will always be above videogames but we've surpassed toy story awhile back.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Games already look better than classic pixar and games will never look as good as a top of the line modern cgi studio due to the fact they can spend an eternity rendering each frame so:

yes;no.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's hard to really give a straight comparison since Pixar doesn't do realism, but I haven't been impressed by how a Pixar film looks in a decade.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I feel like we have this every gen, and every gen we realize it's still not up to that overall standard, even if certain parts are technically better.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What do you mean by Pixar level? Their films keep progressing and looking better at a rapid rate too. Have you see how crazy Toy Story 4 looks?

Zento

Oct 28, 2017
If you consider how FFVII Remake is already surpassing many aspects of Advent Children, I'd say there are many games that look better than parts of the first Toy Story.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Lmao, no. Next gen is powerful, but not enough to power complex real-time raytracing.

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
A single frame on Incredibles 2 took over 800 hours to render. Current video games will never match current Pixar films.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
happened to see Moana (I know, not Pixar) the other day and some of the water stuff made me go: "yeaaaaaaah we'll never get there at this rate"

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a tech demo of the snow physics from Frozen

We are nowhere near this in games. I'd say next gen would probably be around Incredibles level, give or take. I just checked a clip of Cars and there's no way to reproduce the lighting there without serious levels of ray tracing.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
No. We are no where close to the Good Dinosaur. Film is just a different beast so its gonna take a loooooong while.
4k-toystory4-animationscreencaps.com-289.jpg

4k-toystory4-animationscreencaps.com-303.jpg

4k-toystory4-animationscreencaps.com-611.jpg

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very bad benchmark, because there are a lot of games that look way better already. And if the question instead is "when will games render in one second stuff that could only be rendered in 500 hours a decade ago?", then I don't know.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you mean early Pixar stuff, well, imo we already passed it. But if you mean current Pixar stuff, no chance. Entire render farms work on that sort of stuff.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's a very bad benchmark, because there are a lot of games that look way better already.

This. Toy story concentrating on animating toys confuses the issue quite a bit- that movie was straight up horrible at animating things like skin, eyes, hair, etc. "A Bug's Life" was supposed to be insects, but all the insects looked like toys. The technology just wasn't there.

When you look at that stuff we're probably past where Square was with FF:Spirits Within back in 2001.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are actually plenty games that do imo look better already. Not in all aspects obviously (polygon count for example) but overall there are games that look better than Toy Story 1 or let's say FF Spritis Within.

2811591-url.jpg

latest

Doesn't look that hot anymore...

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The thing with film is they can spend hours doing full ray tracing and particle calculations for a single frame.

games have to do that in 1/60 or 1/30 a second.

Mae can get close in terms of models and textures, but matching particle effects and lighting is going to take some time more.