• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Watch the first 30 seconds of this video and what this guy says.

https://youtu.be/cugl5mmfcxY

Ok so this must be a local ny food with some special touches or ingredient choices that's really unique and part of NYC culture right? A heart and soul food that's loved by the locals and is special only to nyc?

It's a fucking chopped up hamburger meat on a long roll, that's it. Motherfucker you can't just rename shit that everyone's been doing for centuries everywhere and then call it a magical special to my place only food.

Watch the rest of the video if you want to see New Yorkers jerk each other off because they invented a basic fucking sandwich

Cheesesteak>>>

Lived in NYC most of life and I've never had a "chopped cheese".

Cheesesteaks are far better tho.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
lol at NY shwarama. Granted I've only been to places in the mid/downtown area of Manhattan but it was all super in-authentic health food I would find in a college co-op or some shit.

How to out yourself as an transplant who's been in town for a few years and only ever ate at where tourists go in one post

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
options we also have in New York in the dead of night in case people are legit concerned that we just don't have enough food in this town.
  • Shawarma (only Mamoun's really count though)
  • Bacon egg and cheese
  • That one Chinese restaurant still open in your local Chinatown
  • Low-rent french
  • Diner food
  • Any Mexican food that's handheld, served out of a cart
  • Halal food
  • Korean
  • Whatever cut rate polish food you can get at Veselka
  • A can of Nutrament
  • Whatever else you want as long as you don't go making stupid internet videos of it to draw the ire of weird out-of-town randos who thinks we're out to claim names when it's really just a bunch college/ethnic/poor/shift work/drunk people trying to get some basic ass cheap comfort food and go about their business

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
How to out yourself as an transplant who's been in town for a few years and only ever ate at where tourists go in one post

I literally do not live in New York. I'm in Detroit, a city with a much stronger history of middle eastern food. My job brings me to NY and I'm always surprised by how bad middle eastern food is there. Granted, and I noted this in my original reply, NY is very bid and I'm sure you can trot out some joints that are good? I'll try them when I'm in town next.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
options we also have in New York in the dead of night in case people are legit concerned that we just don't have enough food in this town.
  • Halal food
That could mean literally anything, though, except things containing pork or alcohol. (From McDonald's to street food to a fancy salad.)
I literally do not live in New York. I'm in Detroit, a city with a much stronger history of middle eastern food. My job brings me to NY and I'm always surprised by how bad middle eastern food is there. Granted, and I noted this in my original reply, NY is very bid and I'm sure you can trot out some joints that are good? I'll try them when I'm in town next.
I think it's more that it's very different if you're expecting something you're used to. Like, it would taste very different from what you'd find in the Middle East. But it could still be delicious.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, OP and a bunch of y'all come across as super bitter and petulant haters for no apparent reason. I've been to NYC a handful of times but never had a chopped cheese, despite hearing about it a bunch -- yes it's chopped up burger patties and American cheese, so fucking what? It's all in the local preparation plus the fact it's dirt cheap. You have no idea what the fuck the typical NYC places serving this up are doing behind the scenes, and the local flair that might make it unique to the area. Why get so fucking salty over this? Is it taking something away from your life that New Yorkers enjoy this and call it their own? Jesus christ.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, OP and a bunch of y'all come across as super bitter and petulant haters for no apparent reason. I've been to NYC a handful of times but never had a chopped cheese, despite hearing about it a bunch -- yes it's chopped up burger patties and American cheese, so fucking what? It's all in the local preparation plus the fact it's dirt cheap. You have no idea what the fuck the typical NYC places serving this up are doing behind the scenes, and the local flair that might make it unique to the area. Why get so fucking salty over this? Is it taking something away from your life that New Yorkers enjoy this and call it their own? Jesus christ.

They hate us cause they ain't us.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
b8d.png

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Problem throughout this thread is people completely missing the point of the chopped cheese and frankly it's pure ignorance. Some assholes gentrifying pieces of shit went to Harlem one day and thought chopped cheese was some revolutionary thing because it was so cheap and brought it back to Williamsburg to dress it up with some fancy bullshit.

Chopped cheese is cheap, greasy bodega food. It cost $4 because that's what people can afford. People on this thread would likely be bitching and moaning that their dollar slice at Two Bros. doesn't come with fresh mutz and basil leaves. What makes it good is that it costs nothing and is essentially junk food that tastes great for what you need it to be: a cheap alternative to not eating or dropping $15 somewhere else.

For those who understand this, it's the same as the White Mana here in Jersey. People go in expecting these life-changing burgers because some You Tuber or Bourdain went there once and said it was good and are shocked and appalled it's not some fancy upscale 1/2 pound burger made by Jesus Christ himself. It's a smashed patty with grilled onions, a metric fuckton of pickles and processed cheese. And it's the fact that it's cheap as shit and hits that spot in your lizard brain for greasy junk that makes it great, which is what at least Bourdain was trying to convey by going to places like Mana or to these bodegas for chopped cheese. Get off your high horse and enjoy some junk food. You're not so bougie that you're above it.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

The thing is that the midwest has odd pockets of middle eastern immigrants. So the disparity between completely inauthentic food and the real deal is super clear to us, it's crazy easy to tell. Of course NY probably has the real deal but the quality is probably on a less disparate scale than what we have.

My wife used to nurse for a family that would send her home with their home cooked food... oh my god I could take that shit with me onto a desert island and die happy.

May 22, 2018
Some New Yorkers and their big city ego propping up a cheeseburger on a roll into something special is hilarious. There are many other NY staples worth propping up over this chopped cheese crap.

It pales in comparison to our tradition on the west coast; a hot tri tip sandwich with cheddar cheese on a roll with bbq sauce and peppers. Now that is something the rest of the country can benefit from learning about. People here in the south (NC/SC) have only just discovered tri tip somewhat recently (in my experience traveling across the country numerous times).

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah we have those here in Delaware too. In fact my parents make them in the deli they own.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i had that but doubt it was called chopped cheese.

they also sell jamaican patties like i used to get at public schools for free in the summer from P.S. 98

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of cheap comfort food, one thing I don't really see a lot of is cheap club sandwiches filled with anything you can think of, deepfried or otherwise.

1494764965_7.jpg

Now that shit hits the spot.

Dec 12, 2017
As a life long NYer, I've never had one, My main bodega in Crown Heights has a great Philly cheese steak so I don't see the point. On a side note, Montreal bagels are the most overrated regional food I've ever had. It doesn't hold a candle to a giant NY bagel.

The_Joker1721

Oct 27, 2017
that looks so godlike, OP is just being a hater

wait no i refuse to believe that people *seriously* are upset about pizza not in triangles
Listen man it's a process I need to have it folded to walk around the city easier, I can be walking around with no square in my hand like a weirdo.
In a few years NYC will make a more economical version of this strugwhich (ground beef on toasted wonder bread) and then beg us to respect their "culture".

Your shit sucks. Sorry bout your struggles.
Lmaooo bro what? You're trash for that.
That could mean literally anything, though, except things containing pork or alcohol. (From McDonald's to street food to a fancy salad.)
Halal is a brand out here. Is where we get the lamb over rice with white sauce and hot sauce on it at 2:47 AM in the hood.

Oct 27, 2017
Problem throughout this thread is people completely missing the point of the chopped cheese and frankly it's pure ignorance. Some assholes gentrifying pieces of shit went to Harlem one day and thought chopped cheese was some revolutionary thing because it was so cheap and brought it back to Williamsburg to dress it up with some fancy bullshit.

Chopped cheese is cheap, greasy bodega food. It cost $4 because that's what people can afford. People on this thread would likely be bitching and moaning that their dollar slice at Two Bros. doesn't come with fresh mutz and basil leaves. What makes it good is that it costs nothing and is essentially junk food that tastes great for what you need it to be: a cheap alternative to not eating or dropping $15 somewhere else.

For those who understand this, it's the same as the White Mana here in Jersey. People go in expecting these life-changing burgers because some You Tuber or Bourdain went there once and said it was good and are shocked and appalled it's not some fancy upscale 1/2 pound burger made by Jesus Christ himself. It's a smashed patty with grilled onions, a metric fuckton of pickles and processed cheese. And it's the fact that it's cheap as shit and hits that spot in your lizard brain for greasy junk that makes it great, which is what at least Bourdain was trying to convey by going to places like Mana or to these bodegas for chopped cheese. Get off your high horse and enjoy some junk food. You're not so bougie that you're above it.
Talk to em.

It's no use. The non NYer's in this thread won't read your comment, because they're already gleefully tripping over themselves to try to dunk on New York.

I was literally going to make a 2 Bros Pizza comparison, myself. These people literally don't get it.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the bay area so I think NY is the same as us but with more ego if that's possible. We don't invent much but we import a lot of good food ideas.

How you supposed to fold the pizza and eat it on the way to the subway if it's not a triangle?

The real problem is that NY style pizza is too thin so you have to fold it or else it's just a limp, grease-dripping mess. Proper pizza does not need to be a deep dish but its bread should have enough structure that it's crispy on the bottom with a soft layer of dough on top and the stability to be eaten in a way that does not imply to the world that you were too embarrassed to order a calzone.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I live in the bay area so I think NY is the same as us but with more ego if that's possible. We don't invent much but we import a lot of good food ideas.

The real problem is that NY style pizza is too thin so you have to fold it or else it's just a limp, grease-dripping mess. Proper pizza does not need to be a deep dish but its bread should have enough structure that it's crispy on the bottom with a soft layer of dough on top and the stability to be eaten in a way that does not imply to the world that you were too embarrassed to order a calzone.

Oh please, bitching about folding is as bad as the people who whine about thin crust having middle pieces that taste like fucking heaven in your mouth.

Pizza is weirdly diverse and comes in many amazing forms.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't need to be folded. You want to be able to so you can pick it up and go.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm up here in Oregon and I'm just glad I haven't seen shit talked about wawa yet because I remember visiting a wawa and that shit was a m a z I n g

Oct 27, 2017
Once saw a Food Network video about pastor tacos and the dude started the video with "I'm here in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, the Mecca of Mexican food." Needless to say, I stopped watching right there.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
The weird thing here, is an expensively filmed documentary about something everyone knew about; but with a different name.
Some New Yorkers seem to take that very personally.
Looks good, though. But I'm a sucker for anything bread plus cheese combo. Real cheese, I mean.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they call it chopped cheese when the most important ingredient is hamburger meat?