• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
With those games and DBZ Project Z, CyberConnect2 is basically proving we've reached a point where we can retell anime series in the form of video games that just look like those anime. You get the same story right? Do you really miss that much? Is there filler?

I dropped out of the Naruto manga around chapter 630-something, and always wondered if just playing the most recent Ninja Storm games would be a sufficient way to get filled in within a reasonable amount of time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, and that kinda of speaks to the story more than anything

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's good except for I'd say the pre Shippuden stuff is lacking in the first game imo. Everything else holds up and 4 is really really good.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
The first game isn't very great in that regard but 2, 3, and 4 cover a great amount of the largest part of the series. NUNS1 is the weakest in the series and I don't really recommend playing it for the first part of Naruto's story, to be honest. A lot of it is not covered in the first game, it practically expects you to be familiar with what happens.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, 3, and 4 cover Shippuden/Part 2 well enough, but the original Ultimate Ninja Storm doesn't cover Part 1 very well.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
If you're playing them solely on Xbox One/PS4, just know that it's missing the Killer Bee vs. Sasuke fight that was in Generations, which was only released on last gen consoles.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
It is in fact the definitive way to experience the story imo, at least sheppuden part, its so great at telling the story its unbelievable , the fights are amazing and its use for QTE are immersive and enhance the battles.

Since you are far away already in the manga, just check Naruto vs sasuke fight from storm 2 on YouTube to see what i mean.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I only played 1 and liked it, but found it too hard and couldn't finish. Apparently I'm the only one with this problem lol

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Not for the the early part of the story. The first game is terrible and has this tedious gameplay loop.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone please help me understand what kinds of games these are? Are they fighting or adventure games with exploration? Bit of both?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not really. But I say that as a fan of the series and the anime. So I might be biased.

The games leave out alot

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They kind of elevate the best parts of the series, and skim over everything else. So yes, they're the best way to experience Naruto (minus Storm 1).

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Could someone please help me understand what kinds of games these are? Are they fighting or adventure games with exploration? Bit of both?

Fighting game with 3rd person hubs to run around and buy stuff and do fetch quests. Tons of fucking collectibles . I think the fighting aspect is legit fun. Overall I think the UNS games are good. Pick up the UNS Legacy bundle for the full range if you can.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Bro just watch the anime and skip the fillers. Yes the war arc is hated on but you would be missing a lot of great things done in the anime.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was in the same boat as you. I dropped anime ( not manga) around shippudens starting and choose to but the 5 in 1 collection of Naruto games. I was blown away at game 2 with the story telling and the boss qte battles, just ridiculously good I gotta admit. Jump in man, it's the third best way to experience the story I guess.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017

Just look at this shit man, hype stuff, more games can learn to do things from this fight, the flashback while fighting is some great stuff

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
It's honestly better in some cases, cut out filler nonsense nobody cares about and the boss fights can get hype as hell

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I have played only the first game and I'd say no. the way it is structured makes you miss a lot. You experience the fights but that's about it

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! It's now I watched half the series. Highly recommended. I wish more anime did this

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting game with 3rd person hubs to run around and buy stuff and do fetch quests. Tons of fucking collectibles . I think the fighting aspect is legit fun. Overall I think the UNS games are good. Pick up the UNS Legacy bundle for the full range if you can.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, I might just do that

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry for the necro but there's a Bamco sale going on the PS Store going on right now. The Naruto UNS Legacy bundle (all UNS games) is 75% off right now @ $17.49.

If any of you've been waiting to jump in on this series, this is a great chance.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I just picked up the legacy collection for 17$ on Xbox and finished 1. I enjoyed the first game but damn the second game improves on so much story wise. I've never watched naruto but have been enjoying my time with these games so far.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
They take a lot of liberties with the fight scenes but they aren't a bad way to view the story. More importantly... they are very good games.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Wait ultimate is only shippuden onwards? Not the starting stuff? I bought it thinking it was everything. I guess I should have known they wouldn't restart.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Let's just say it's a good recap with good boss battles. But if you're intersested in Naruto I suggest you watch the anime or read the manga first. The games leave a lot of detail and I think the manga/anime is worth its lenght.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, it would be the second best way to experience it after of course the Mangas.

Anime is just..huh
And the game boss battles are just amazing. Go in with high expectations and still QTE events will pleasently surprise you.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
TBH no, not really. They skip a lot of stuff and detail. Woolie recently tried and it devolved into having a co-host for LP explaining shit and then even watching bits of anime.

Games are best way to see some of those parts brought to life in exciting animated fashion, because actual anime adaptation just doesn't live up outside of a very small handful of epsiodes. I personally recommend manga then games.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Doesn't Storm 3 burst have some sort of retelling of the whole naruto story up to the war arc?
I swear, I remember going up and down on a timeline and thinking we had all those fight already.
Oh and Storm 3 has a non-canon ending! This is important I'd say.
Edit: Manga>>storm games>>>anime imo

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
No. 1 does a poor job of telling the story of pre-shippuden. 3 has a non-canon ending. 4 has screenshots of the anime with voice overs instead of cutscenes (it has normal cutscenes too, but they cut it down from 2 and 3.)
They do a decent job of telling a summary, but it's not the best way to experience it.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Having first watched the anime up till Shippuuden, then read the manga from the start onward, only dipping into the anime around the times I knew key battles were coming up, I felt the games were a decent way to experience the story. However I think my enjoyment was buoyed by the fact that I was loosely reliving battles I knew the outcome of. I don't know if I would've picked up the series if I had no exposure to the manga or anime prior.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I watched part 1 (minus the filler) before Shippuden aired. Shippuden was so slow and boring that I dropped it a few episodes in. I've always wanted to go back and watch it, but there are now a bajillion episodes even when you take out the filler lmao.
https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden

Maybe I'll pick up the collection. Is the first game at least a good refresher for the part 1 story?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'd say no (but I never finished the manga, I only speak of the children arc and the firs thalf of the young arc), but are a better way to re-visit the events than the anime for sure.

The gameplay is meh, but the presentation is top and the fight scenes are really well done.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Almost forgot to buy it before the sale is over.

I see the collection is a bundle of UNS Trilogy and UNS4. Trilogy is downloading now. I wonder how Trilogy can be only 18.29GB while 4 is 41.87GB.

Anyway, this is great. My nephew got into Naruto and is watching part 1 now. He loves it! I want to be able to talk to him about the story, but Shippuden really is just too many episodes for me.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping this but didn't want to make a new thread.

Storm 4 is on sale and I'm thinking about picking it up on my One X. It's 15 bucks at the moment.

I stopped reading Naruto right before the end of all the Pain stuff I think...it's been awhile.

Does Storm 4 go through all of Naruto or just Shippuden?

Is it worth it to experience the story through these games? The stuff they're doing with the cutscenes seems fantastic, better shot than most of the anime clips I've seen.