• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comedy is always subjective, and sometimes you get a good comedy that succeeds on one amazing, hysterical scene that's built up. I prefer a bit more mileage, and if I see a comedy, I'm expecting to be grinning ear to ear from start to finish.

For my money, that comedy is perennial classic The Naked Gun.
268x0w.png

You could make a strong case for Airplane! as well, though I felt that The Naked Gun came together and raised the bar even higher, in no small part due to Leslie Nielsen just owning the role of Enrico Palazzo Lt. Frank Drebin.

Even years later, I'm amazed that there's a gag almost every 10 seconds. You could make a top 50 funniest moments from that first movie alone, from ridiculous dialogue to insane scenarios to random slapstick to visual setpieces that go far beyond the extra mile.
giphy.gif

It's hard to find even one single moment that's "the best" because you'd just be strung along watching the whole film from it's over-the-top introduction and opening credits to the final moments of the film, all played perfectly straight.

tenor.gif

Not everything was a gutbuster, since they seem to be throwing everything at the wall nonstop, but I almost never see modern comedies pour in as much love and care into every minor, subtle joke as this movie did.
giphy.gif

Though I'm quite eager to hear if there's any films out there that you feel match or top it, as I'm currently on the hunt for movies both new and old to ring in the new year with a barrel of laughs.

Nov 2, 2017
The first Naked Gun is definitely excellent, but I think 21 and 22 Jump Street are a little more nonstop in terms of jokes. Even the dramatic scenes tend to have extra layers that make them hilarious.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's Superbad for the first 60 minutes. Shame it has Appatow syndrome and slows down a bit in the second half...but man, that first half I was in fucking tears, literally almost falling out of my chair I'm the theater. Hardest I've ever laughed at a film, period. I could hardly breathe at some of the one liners.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly if it's just movies we're considering. But if we want to include tv I think it would be Arrested Development for me.
I should watch Naked Gun again. It's been a while

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Naked Gun is my all time favorite comedy OP... so I agree with you 100%

One of my favorite scene's is in the Police Station, when they walk into the scientists office to test gadgets. All the other characters use the door, but Leslie Nielson walks around the end of the set piece to enter the room. It's subtle, never given any attention, or acknowledged by anyone. It's such perfect fourth wall breaking gag.

That's the best part of Naked Gun & Lelsie Nielson, the ability to play absurdity in such a straight and believable way.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll even say that I think there's some real good classics out there that tend to go underappreciated. They're older, but some of those older films were shamelessly silly. I think "Bringing Up Baby" holds up remarkably well in the laugh department.
giphy.gif

tumblr_mqitt7G8Et1r8zmqlo8_250.gif

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Most laughs per minute, couldn't say for sure but it's one hell of a funny movie, one of the best.

They certainly don't make em like that anymore (sadly) and the reason why most modern comedy movies are forgotten, while movies like The Naked Gun and Airplane are still loved to this day.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's really close between this and Airplane! Both of them were just non-stop hilarious with their gags and comedy and both just nailed it too.

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
Naked Gun, Airplane, Top Secret. A little bit lower Robin Hood (you know which one) and Hot Shots.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO that shoot out scene just got me. Be right back OP I'm going to go watch the Naked Gun. It's been years since the last time I saw it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd throw in the Gods Must be Crazy. I had to pause that film a number of times because I was laughing too hard.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll even say that I think there's some real good classics out there that tend to go underappreciated. They're older, but some of those older films were shamelessly silly. I think "Bringing Up Baby" holds up remarkably well in the laugh department.
giphy.gif

tumblr_mqitt7G8Et1r8zmqlo8_250.gif
Good choice. This movie and His Girl Friday are some of the funniest ever.

Superbad is a recent one where I have the most laugh per minute.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Naked Gun movies are the best comedy movies ever made. They are still hilarious even after seeing them countless times. I agree with you OP.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Police Squad TV show is better than the Naked Gun movies in every way. They even recycled most of the jokes in the movies

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The Room

but yeah I wouldn't go against Naked Gun, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, or the South Park movie.

If you like Naked Gun you should immediately go watch Angie Tribeca on TBS, it is currently airing season 4 (like... TODAY!) and it is the 2018 version of that movie/show. Its fantastic and stars Rashida Jones from Parks and Rec

Last edited:

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A hard claim to make in a world where Young Frankenstein, Airplane and Borat exist.

Not saying that Naked Gun is inferior in any way, just that it's hard to choose.

Very hard.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Room

but yeah I wouldn't go against Naked Gun, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, or the South Park movie.

If you like Naked Gun you should immediately go watch Angie Tribeca on TBS, it is currently airing season 4 (like... TODAY!) and it is the 2018 version of that movie/show. Its fantastic and stars Rashida Jones from Parks and Rec

That is the worst trailer I've ever seen. No idea what it's about and there were no jokes.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure but I love it so it's not worth fighting. Let's laugh instead.

VbjH.gif

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

It's certainly up there.

It's gotta be the top contender for most laughs per minute in a film featuring a murderer.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I've read somewhere that this was actually studied, and Airplane! won out. I'd bet it's up there, though

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Which reminds me ... you are talking about the sequel right ?

Because the cairo one while had some good jokes (the "camera look away from sex one" was the best) it would not be anywhere near naked gun/top secret levels of laughs per minute

...or maybe there are lots of jokes that don't translate well outside of french =P

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I love the hell out of Naked Gun, but Airplane! is better.

MST3K beats everything in making me laugh. Unrelated though..

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The Room

how i have i never heard of this show

like ever

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Meh....never a big fan of american humuor...

gimme my british humuor, mate!

And for that, it will be the Monty Python and the Holy Grail