• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got a Samsung UHD a month ago.

SInce I had it I noticed a flicker. Not constantly just once in a while the screen will sort of flikker hard, just once.

It's subtle enough that gf hasnt noticed it, but its driving me up the wall.

First I thought it was some eco setting so I turned them all off without any success.

Then I thought maybe its only on the netflix app, (internet connection) but its been doing it now on my PS4.

Any ideas or should I just return it?

Thanks!

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Flicker as in a full black screen for less than a second?

Do you have a receiver or sound bar that you're putting your signals through first or are your devices connected straight to the TV?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes a tv can lose signal depending on device which results in a black screen sort of like changing inputs.

If it's multiple flickers and there's noticeable brightness drops it could be the auto brightness not working right. Maybe a bad sensor or something in the room interfering with it. You could try turning the feature off and see if it still happens. If it does then power supply failing is likely the culprit.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Flicker as in a full black screen for less than a second?

Do you have a receiver or sound bar that you're putting your signals through first or are your devices connected straight to the TV?
Yeah full black screen for like 1 ms or something.

No receiver or anything plugged in. Only the PS4

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
Did you do a firmware update for it recently? That may possibly be the problem.

I also have a Samsung UHD and after I ran an update I noticed a seldom issue where it goes bonkers and flickers until I unplug it.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you do a firmware update for it recently? That may possibly be the problem.

I also have a Samsung UHD and after I ran an update I noticed a seldom issue where it goes bonkers and flickers until I unplug it.
No I checked for updates when I noticed the problem and it was already up to date, perhaps factory did it.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, is this only happening when your TV is switching from SDR to HDR content?
its during actual viewing.

So I'm just playing ps4 and I run up court on NBA 2K and I notice a flikker.

Or I'm watching a show on netflix on I notice one too.

I firth thought it was the wifi signal dropping and the quality lowering, but that wouldn't make sense to it happening during video games, no?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
its during actual viewing.

So I'm just playing ps4 and I run up court on NBA 2K and I notice a flikker.

Or I'm watching a show on netflix on I notice one too.

I firth thought it was the wifi signal dropping and the quality lowering, but that wouldn't make sense to it happening during video games, no?
Nah, it wouldn't have anything to do with the wifi. I was thinking it was something to do with your PS4 losing signal to the TV, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. It's sounding more like an issue with the TV panel itself losing power or the signal for a split second.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it wouldn't have anything to do with the wifi. I was thinking it was something to do with your PS4 losing signal to the TV, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. It's sounding more like an issue with the TV panel itself losing power or the signal for a split second.
Pffff I'll check the power cables, unplug everything. If it keeps on I'll just get it replaced I guess.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
If it's just with your PS4 consider using different hdmi cables. It could be a hand shaking issue caused by faulty/cheapo cables. I had a similar issue and had to buy new amazon basic hdmi cables. No problems since.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it happens when watching YouTube through an internal app as well? Sounds like a PSU issue then with the TV.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh it happens when watching YouTube through an internal app as well? Sounds like a PSU issue then with the TV.
Ok, then yeah, that sounds like a TV issue more than a connection issue. If it was the Netflix app on the PS4 then yeah, I'd assume it's a bad connection with the PS4 and TV, but this sounds like something else.
yeah I figured as much... I was hoping it was an issue I could fix myself as taking this thing back to the shop is a hassle. Nothing to do about it I guess, thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope you have a good warranty
Yeah EU hete, they're legally obligated to fix or replace anything within the first two years. Shouldn't be a problem

Have you googled it or contacted Samsung?
I googled it and it suggested wifi or settings problems. Tried all fixes to no avail.

Haven't contacted Samsung for their opinion though, wouldn't no where or how? Could you point me in the right direction?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah EU hete, they're legally obligated to fix or replace anything within the first two years. Shouldn't be a problem

I googled it and it suggested wifi or settings problems. Tried all fixes to no avail.

Haven't contacted Samsung for their opinion though, wouldn't no where or how? Could you point me in the right direction?

Are you states, UK or somewhere else? I know the UK Samsung customer service website has a Live Chat and obviously a phone number I don't know about any other country.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you states, UK or somewhere else? I know the UK Samsung customer service website has a Live Chat and obviously a phone number I don't know about any other country.
You are a genius my friend!

I contacted them on facebook and guess what! It's a software error that they're aware of. Should be fixed on the next update.