• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
At least for me, the story, whether it's twists and turns or a straightforward Hero's journey, isn't the prime motivator of pushing forward in one - it's the music that's the key component of narrative for me to have emotional resonance. It works in concert with the other elements of presentation, but it is the music that gels the narrative beats into place. This probably stems from ye olde days when games couldn't rely on movie-esque CG cutscenes, nor had voiced dialogue, so the music was the only way to convey emotional depth through sound.

Two immediate examples that I think of are (please forgive me for only posting Square games, there are plenty others that have great examples too)

• Chrono Trigger - Reaching the kingdom of Zeal after first traversing a barren ice scape with only the sound of wind, and then hearing the music kick in when you take the teleporter
  • Xenogears - Reaching the city of Shevat after seeing it pass by several times through the course of the game, having climbed the ruins of the Tower of Babel and hearing the theme start as you ascend the elevator
I feel these kinds of moments bring out the full potential of the narrative using the limitations of the hardware to its advantage. My personal favorite moment of this is from FFVI

Yes, it's 17 minutes of narrative driven primarily through music. Uematsu exploited this to it's limit on the humble SNES hardware. It's a testament to music's ability to drive a game's presentation.

I've often wondered why I like so many games that have cheesy dialogue, tropey characters, and sometimes nonsensical or overly convoluted plots. I think it boils down to the music, at least for me. I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but the soundtrack tells part of the story. So, even if you have some corny dialogue in a scene that's meant to be impactful, the music aids it and gives me that emotional connection. I don't think it's all powerful as to override straight up contradictory elements like murderous dialogue or something during a peaceful track, but it's like an alternate narrative thread as I interpret it. Music can't solely carry a game if none of its other parts match up for the player, but it can elevate the game to higher heights. I think the most distilled form is games that are more like interactive art, like Journey, wherein there's no dialogue at all and the game relies on the ambient sound design and the score to create emotional resonance.

I don't want to discount the effect of visual presentation. It's unquestionably more important from an overall perspective. But music is the thing that can take a story-driven game from good to great. Or at least, is a massive, no less than crucially important, part of it.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Music is always fuckign important. Especially when telling a story or "just" setting you into a mood.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps in a time before voice acting became common in games, but nowadays good or bad voice acting more often determines that. That's not to say that music is unimportant to the equation, but when it was the only thing providing context outside of the text, it was absolutely vital. We're just not at the point anymore.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Ultimately it's the music that hits me in the gut with a nostalgia bat when I think about the old games I liked as a kid.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
For sure, music is really important. Games like NieR, Celeste, FEZ or Undertale just wouldn't be the same without those soundtracks.

And movies too. Can you imagine Total Recall without the Goldsmith?

As always, the best media and entertainment is greater than the sum of its parts. But often all those parts just come together in a special way and music is such a critical component.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The question should have been:

Is music the secret sauce of any visual production?

And the answer would be yes. Good music elevates everything.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

Yup. I think to some of the most iconic scenes from movies or anime and almost all of them have some amazing music behind them.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Audio, in any capacity is half of the experience

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Music is a really big factor for me, story driven or not. I'll never skip out on a game due to lacking music, but exceptional music can elevate a good game to a great one. Music is the main way I engage with a game long after I've beaten it. Its lasting legacy if you will

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Music is the secret sauce to any great game. It's high on my list of how much enjoyment I get from any game I play.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I don't remember the last time I had the sound on while playing a game, single player of otherwise.

Non-social-hours playtime will do that.

And yet, Yakuza's sadder scenes always get me, even if it's just me reading the subs in silence.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Two immediate examples that I think of are (please forgive me for only posting Square games, there are plenty others that have great examples too)
  • Chrono Trigger - Reaching the kingdom of Zeal after first traversing a barren ice scape with only the sound of wind, and then hearing the music kick in when you take the teleporter
  • Xenogears - Reaching the city of Shevat after seeing it pass by several times through the course of the game, having climbed the ruins of the Tower of Babel and hearing the theme start as you ascend the elevator
Hearing Omen (name of the song) while climbing the Tower of Babel and also at the end before Deus and some other story moments is really bonechilling. To me it is the theme of Xenogears, it captures the mysterious and spiritual nature of the story and the world.
I think the most distilled form is games that are more like interactive art, like Journey, wherein there's no dialogue at all and the game relies on the ambient sound design and the score to create emotional resonance.
Journey's music, especially at the ending climb just before the top really got me feeling some emotions. Definitely an amazing example.

I would also add Nier Automata in there. The game has so many transcendental tracks that work perfectly in the moment.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Music is really important, yes. I remember almost no quality lines from Skyrim, but I that theme thumps through my brain if I think about it.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

I contemplated that, but decided to lower the scope to gaming, as I think there are unique discussions that can be had with the different mediums. And story driven at that - there are games that don't rely on music and prefer ambient sound design. But perhaps it really is that ubiquitous. I'd think the application differs between mediums though.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Definitely. Nier: Automata for example I would say 75% of my love for it is because of its soundtrack. Just about any game I truly love has an amazing soundtrack.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Music is a really big factor for me, story driven or not. I'll never skip out on a game due to lacking music, but exceptional music can elevate a good game to a great one. Music is the main way I engage with a game long after I've beaten it. Its lasting legacy if you will
5009.jpg

<3

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sound design in general is so important, yes, story driven or not. Look at Tetris Effect for exemple.

Even with game that I didn't liked that much, I cherich some moment because of music. "Lately", Death Stranding is a good exemple.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
First game that comes to mind for me is Super Metroid. The music is absolutely crucial to setting up that incredible atmosphere and adding tension/excitement to exploring.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can make people tear up at a fast food commercial with the right soundtrack, so it can definitely help.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
We are soooooo spoiled right now. We have so many amazing soundtracks. So many moments in gaming that are made better by the music and sound effects. It helps that the audio quality is incredible.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Music is the secret sauce to every game as far as I'm concerned. If your soundtrack sucks, but somehow the game is still fun, I'll be very conflicted to say the least.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I would hazard to say that an excellent OST is the most important part of any story driven game. Yeah, it's not going to make up for trash gameplay or writing, but it will turn a mediocre game into a 9/10. For me, there is nothing more important than the musical score in a game.

UrĂ°r

Aug 13, 2020
OST is more important to me than graphics or story.

A good story usually motivates the composer even further, so I guess it's common that good stories have good music.

On the other hand, even a bad script can turn into a decent narrative experience thanks to a great OST. For instance, Shadows of the Damned merely works due to the OST.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my god yes. Music is very important and one of the few things that sticks with me for a long time.

Music is really important, yes. I remember almost no quality lines from Skyrim, but I that theme thumps through my brain if I think about it.

First game that comes to mind for me is Super Metroid. The music is absolutely crucial to setting up that incredible atmosphere and adding tension/excitement to exploring.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm playing Paradise Killer recently and I think it is. There's so much about this game I don't care for, but I can't put it down, and I think the soundtrack is the biggest reason why. It's stupidly good, the only OST in the last like 3-4 years I like more than it is Persona 5's.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Music is the manifestation of a game's emotional core.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's important for almost any game, but that's coming from someone who puts more emphasis on soundtrack than most, certainly among my circle of friends.

Jan 11, 2018
Don't think so. A lot of games with great stories have underwhelming music. I associate great music with gameplay more than I do story.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is and Video Games are really getting the hang out of it.
Just look at the last of us 2's sniper section. Spoiler Warning
Part with ambient music climaxing around minute 10

And the same part without music

It's simply not as intense without the music and the sound mixing in the actual game is also superb.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For any game really.

I think it's a big reason why I've preferred Japan's output in games. For me they do memorable music way better for their AAA games than western games I've played.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Music is the secret sauce of any game, OP.
This, music is one of the things that is the most underrated thing in games.
Story isn't a part of it. Music just helps to add more emotions to the story, but not only to stories, atmosphere / art ....

Music is the most imported factor to provide nostolagia. There are not many games that can deliverd this can of level.
Nintendo's composers (I know that david wise isn't owned by nintendo) is one of the big things that provides this. (Tetris, Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade, DKC...Battle of olympus for sure)

But when looking to 3th party devs composer for games as :
Capcom, Square, Konami, Sega
Games likes : Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Sonic (the first few games), Mega Man, Ghost & Goblins main theme, Street Fighter 2, ...

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Not necessarily. The Last of Us Part 1 and 2 used music sparingly but was one of the best stories ever told.